[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whats the best kind of leash for walking a medium to large dog?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: 3059504_orig.jpg (150 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
3059504_orig.jpg
150 KB, 960x720
Whats the best kind of leash for walking a medium to large dog?

Anybody use European/police style leashes?
>>
File: Leash.jpg (19 KB, 450x251) Image search: [Google]
Leash.jpg
19 KB, 450x251
>>2124741
if you consider the one in the pic European or police style, then yes, I use some of these
>>
The trick is in the collar, not in the leash.

For collars, I really really like martingales. It has just enough bite to correct little problems and keep them from slipping loose of their collars. Prong collars are awesome for training, but if you have to use them more than a month, there is either a problem with you or with your dog. Figure out which. Choke collars are like ghetto martingales, and constrict way too tight. If you have a 1/2" thick chain, it will dig into the neck. A 1.5" nylon strip will apply pressure but not brutally choke the poor things. If they need that much correction, get a prong collar. Same effect and won't truly damage them.

I have 2 dogs, both over 150lb (Great Pyrs), and I use 6ft leash by Primal Pet Gear. One hand is wrapped around the handle to make sure it can't be dropped, the other is guided by the other hand for control of the dog.

A retractable gives you no control and those leashes are terrible all around. The people that use those don't have any control over their pets. The dogs have never been taught to walk on a leash, otherwise a 25' retractable leash would be pointless because the dog would be nearby them at all times.

.... on a side note, I do recommend those Primal Pet Gear leashes. We have 4. Best leashes I've ever owned. ASIN: B0146913BU.
>>
>>2125039
I use a retractable now that my dog is trained for a proper leash (he had never been walked despite being almost 2). I keep him on a harness and he walks by my side most of the time. He isn't allowed off-leash because he is a runner and might not come back for an hour or two.

I have the long retractable because the shelter lied and said that he was low energy when we got him. I have weak lungs so I can't run with him but the longer leash allows him to run a bit when I give him the okay. The leash is about 26 feet long so he can run a nice bit
>>
>>2125096

We have a 26ft Flexi Giant (rated to 110lbs) that we used during distraction training. Really high quality leash. We were happy with it. It was a little on the heavy side - but it was 26' and heavy duty, so of course it had weight.

Our dogs are past the weight limit on it, so we don't use it. Last thing you want is a fucking Pyrenees breaking off their leash ... that was a great leash, though. Rubber grips and everything. Stood up to heavy use well.
>>
>>2125593
We have the same one. Our dog is only 25-30 pounds though. We got it because it was the longest one. It is a great leash although if something happens and I drop it, my dog is scared of it. He is fine if it is in my hand or isn't attached, but if it is attached and not in my hand he cowers. It can be considered a good thing though since at least he won't run with it like if I accidentally drop his short leash
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.