[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chronic Kennel Soiling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
The local shelter threw an adoption event after some hoarder got busted. There was a litter of about seven puppies around 10 weeks old and I couldn't resist. Anyway, he's absolutely wonderful, and everything, but apparently he had never been taken out of his kennel his whole time with her.

Pros: He goes into the kennel without a fuss every time I give him the command to, and never cries or freaks out about it.

Cons: He can't seem to recognize the kennel isn't the damn indoor toilet anymore. He's even started to develop hot spots from laying in his piss and shit while I'm not home. He doesn't even try to hold it in until I come back, and its starting to affect my other dog, who I never had issues with, but now that she sees him just going whenever indoors, she's started going on the floors.

So, how do I make him realize that's not ok for him to be doing? My water bill is going up since I have to bathe him every morning and every time I come home to avoid piss feet/butt on my carpets.

Pic related; the asshole in question.
>>
Dude, he's a puppy! Why the fuck do you have a -puppy- if you have to crate it AND you're working? You weren't ready for one, and you're making him lose out on an important learning period in his life.

Either taking some time off work to deal with him, or give him to someone who can take care of him.
>>
>>2124631
Never said anything about working, bruh. Stick to the thread.

Also, how is crating him at night as a puppy different than people who crate their dogs at night during any time in their life?

What mental backflips did you have to go through to translate ''he's in the crate at night and when I leave the house'' into ''he's always in the crate and I need him to learn to stop pooping ever''?
>>
>>2124643
Not him, but why do people put their dogs in crates at all? I grew up with multiple dogs and have a dog of my own now. I don't even have a crate nor any idea why I would need one.
>>
>>2124650
Same as with almost anything that has to do with dogs- personal preference. I like being able to leave the house when I need to and not worry about the state of my carpets. I like not having to worry about stepping in shit when I wake up in the mornings. I didn't crate train my other dog, and I never had an issue, but she was never raised in a neglectful situation, so housebreaking her was as easy as the Youtube training videos make it seem. He's just not an ABC case, so the crate is necessary while he's still learning the basics.
>>
>>2124650
Crates are actually pretty good. I've trained my own dog to it and she treats it as a safe place to return to and sleep. Think of it as something along the lines of a little den. It's not cruel at all (as long as it is trained/done right) and I assure you and she gets her exercise everyday and time outside the crate. It's only for when I'm away or need her to stop bothering me (when I'm cooking etc)

It's also waaay less stressful to take her to vet visits since she's used to crating already and I just have to give the command to go inside.

>>2124622
How old is he and how long are you away? Puppies can't hold it in as long as adults can.
>>
>>2124622
Puppies can't hold it in well even if they wanted to, be attentive when you have an entire day.
>>
>>2124659
>>2124666
Based on their approximation, I'd say he's about 12-14 weeks old now. So, yes, he is a puppy, and I'm well aware he can't hold it in long. They both get taken out for walks more than enough times a day.

I work from home, so I'm home almost all the time. I leave maybe for an hour every 2-5 days or so for appointments outside the house. The longest he's ever crated is at night for 8-10 hours, with one pee break in the middle because I thought maybe that would help him learn to hold it, but like I said, I can leave for 30 minutes to get milk from the gas station and come back and he's completely soiled the kennel- he doesn't even try to wait a little while for me to come home and take him out.
>>
>>2124667
Your pup should be able to hold it for about 3 hours so you're doing the right things --lots of bathroom breaks are great!
Your situation reminds me a lot of when my own dog was a puppy. How big is your crate?
If you get it small enough so he can only sit down and turn around, it should signal him not to pee there. At least, that worked for mine.

Also might want to get them both checked out at a vet. There could be a medical reason behind both of them acting like that and it's good to get it ruled out beforehand.
>>
>>2124671
The vet checked them out, hence I've come to /an/.

The crate size may be the issue. Its 42".
>>
>>2124622
housebreaking a dog is really easy if you just try for a few days!

Just ignore him when he pisses or shits inside the house and go outside with him every 4 hours, like you should do with every puppy

If he pisses or shits outside be REALLY happy and give him some great treats, you can also additionally play with him.

That way he should be housebroken soon

All of our dogs were housebroken in a less than a week that way.
My current dog, who was a stray puppy in another country, only shat in the house once and was fully housebroken within 3 days of getting her. She was also about 10 weeks when we got her.

So it has nothing to do where the dog comes from. If you really try, you can do it

Also, crate training is really unnecessary in my opinion, just like
>>2124650
said

I never had a crate, my dogs don't shit or piss in the house and don't destroy everything

But that's up to you
>>
>>2124675
Like I said in the OP, he has already started recognizing where it is OK to go to the bathroom, and where its not OK- except in the case with the crate; the crate to him is ALWAYS an OK place to use the bathroom. I need him to learn that its not OK to use the crate as a bathroom.
>>
>>2124675
>Just ignore him when he pisses or shits inside the house
no, don't do this

if you see him starting to go, make a really loud noise. not an angry noise, just really loud. immediately move him outside to finish. sometimes he'll dribble. sometimes he'll be startled into stopping. just get him outside immediately.

>If he pisses or shits outside be REALLY happy and give him some great treats, you can also additionally play with him.
this is good advice though.
>>
OP here,

Okay, while I appreciate all the advice, this has gone from a 'how to stop him from using the kennel as a bathroom' thread, into a general housebreaking thread. I didn't ask for advice on how to housebreak him- I've got that covered. Him thinking the kennel is a toilet is the issue here. Can we try to stay on topic, please?
>>
File: not cool at all.jpg (60 KB, 504x480) Image search: [Google]
not cool at all.jpg
60 KB, 504x480
Nether had a dog, are they really an Infinite Poop Machine like rabbits or hedgehogs and impossible too keep "empty"? Like, to walk it in 5 minutes after the feeding, + no free feeding or water.
>>
Also the dog is probably stupid, because inbred. Try to find out, how the other pups are doing. If they behave the same way - put it down. If they are ok, keep struggling and good luck.
>>
>>2124684
I don't see why the advice should be any different for pissing in the crate versus the house. you have to stay on top of the dog and do all the things people have said: startle the dog into stopping when he pees in the crate, move him outside, praise him. there's not going to be a magical solution that will make him stop peeing in the crate without your extremely active intervention.
>>
>>2124684
Since he's housebroken other than the crate, maybe just get rid of the crate and get a baby gate instead? Lock him into the kitchen or laundry room when you need to leave him for any time?

We always used to just use the baby gate with our dogs when we couldn't take them places with us. Worked fine. Kept them on flooring they couldn't destroy and they'd just chill until we got home.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.