[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Eating dirt?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: why-do-dogs-eat-dirt-03-600x600.jpg (120 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
why-do-dogs-eat-dirt-03-600x600.jpg
120 KB, 600x600
My 5 month old rotty pup has recently started eating dirt, after doing some research I found that the main cause for this is a bad diet.

I feed her Purina Puppy Pro Plan Large which my vet has recommended however I do not know much about food and blindly trusted her. Other than the fact that my pup eats dirt she looks really healthy - almost no fat, shiny fur, white teeth and energetic but she still eats dirt.

Any thoughts?
>>
Acana, split feedings over morning and evening and read the packaging after weighing your dog or there will be runny poops.

/thread.
>>
>>2123589
I feed her the right amount of Purina according to her weight - split into 3 portions throughout the day.

I might switch to acana if i find out purina is the issue but I hear its a good brand and many show dogs are on it?
>>
>>2123587
Pro Plan is an excellent food. You could try adding green tripe or probiotics.
>>
>>2123590
Compare Acana ingredients to the Purina you are using. Acana is much more rich in the proteins (and good meat proteins, as opposed to Purina) it will fill dog up b
With less food
>>
>>2123620
>it will fill dog up bWith less food
that's not how feeling full works.
>>
>>2123622
Explain? I can't into english
>>
>>2123629
better quality food doesn't necessarily make you feel full faster.
>>
>>2123587
>people still buy Purina

Buy Merrick, found to be basically the no. 1 dog food in the world
>>
>>2123587
Some puppers just eat garbage desu senpai

Don't automatically assume it's diet or pics
>>
>>2123587
>Purina Puppy Pro Plan Large which my vet has recommended

purina is a meme food. they spend all their funds on advertising, people know about it because it's on tv and relatively cheap - not because of its great quality.

it's recommended by your vet because either
a) he gets a cut for doing so
b) he doesn't trust you to spend more money on quality food

go with merrick, acana, anything with "simply" in the name, or blue buffalo for bragging rights
>>
>>2123631
It works with kitties at least
>>
>>2123652

to be clear - check the ingredients. you'll find more shit you recognize + vitamin xyz + chondroitin + glucosamine in good food.

you'll find "-by product", "-meal", "chemical filler", "minced peanut shell bullshit" etc in the cheap stuff. not that an i'm anti-gmo whole earth hippie cunt - it's just that the laboratory concoctions don't yet compare to real meats, which have it all plus more.
>>
>>2123659
Just curious, why is by-product bad? Is it just leftover shit from meats what have no nutrition? Is it different from "meal"?
>>
>>2123663

yes kinda to the first question

"It is made from grinding clean, rendered parts of poultry carcasses and can contain bones, offal and undeveloped eggs, but only contains feathers that are unavoidable in the processing of the poultry part" - wikipedia

it's not gonna have "no nutrition". but less.
>>
>>2123659
Purina Pro Plan does extensive clinical trials that show that they are fine. Yes, they own beneful, but purina pro plan actually has extensive trials done that show its fine.

Compare that to brands like Blue Buffalo which are absolutely horrible yet fit your test.

There IS still ongoing debate so take this with a grain of salt, but animal protein seems to be better because it contains amino acids. Either way, responsible brands will balance this out by adding sources of amino acids back in.

Iams is what I'd personally recommend fyi. But I'm not your vet. Pro plan isn't bad.
>>
>>2123670
Yeah, that first line is garbled because I edited and forgot to take it out. Ignore that.
>>
OP Here

Thanks for all the help guys, i think shes just being a stupid pupper.
>>
>>2124308

Yeah, my dog eats dirt too. Talked to the vet about it, discussed his nutritional requirements, etc. Vet's advice: "he likes eating dirt, don't worry about it."

Dogs, man.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.