[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was Lovecraft right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: 1459775924118.jpg (188 KB, 480x724) Image search: [Google]
1459775924118.jpg
188 KB, 480x724
Was Lovecraft right?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XKYEbb4uPs
>>
>>2123256
Yes.
>>
>>2123285
All the cats I've seen play fetch do so on their own terms instead of how dogs are taught to. My mom has a cat that plays fetch, and he taught himself how to do it
>>
File: cats.png (9 KB, 521x155) Image search: [Google]
cats.png
9 KB, 521x155
No
>>
>>2123256
Humm, he seems to like the same aspect of cats that i do aswell.

A cat it seems, has emotional intelligence.
>>
>>2123588
>sour grapes

What ales your bottom anon?
>>
>A dog is a useful animal and a companion
>A cat is too good to preform a basic task

You can look at it a million ways.
>>
>>2123588
Bees, ants and a plethora of tiny animals have negligible nervous systems and are pretty much the most social beings on earth, while cephalopods have huge brains and aren't social beings.
>>
>>2123665

the rules for bugs are different from the rules for furry mammals

mammals get smart to interpret social messages, and really smart before they start practicing altruism

bugs get smart for basically no reason. they just don't get smart.
>>
>>2123256
>refusing all your attempts to make it play when it is not in the humor
This is also true for dogs.
>>
>>2123596
>he seems to like the same aspect of cats that i do aswell
Anthropomorphization and projection?
>>
>>2123697
>mammals get smart to interpret social messages
you're winding pretty ribbons around it.

mammals get smart so that they can fuck a lot.
>>
>>2123706
Isn't that why anyone does anything?
>>
>>2123706
...And avoid conflict, determine territories, form groups, enstabilish leaders et al.
>>
>>2123709
that all leads to fucking.

we don't form groups for fun, we form groups because we can stay safe in them and keep fucking for a longer period of time and produce the most offspring.
>>
>“ When, long ago, the gods created Earth;
In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were designed;
Yet were too remote from humankind.
To fill the gap, and join the rest of Man,
Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing a Nigger. ”

Lovecraft was right on everything.
>>
>The end is near. I hear a noise at the door, as of some immense slippery body lumbering against it. It shall not find me. Oh god that hand! The window! The window!
was he right?
>>
>>2123697
Meerkats have tiny brains and are extremely social, and so are some monkeys.
>>
I like cats, I own one, but compared to dogs in general they're fucking retarded. They don't understand that rooms can have more than one entrance which is why sometimes they wander around the house back to the same spot they were before they think it's a different area.

Cats also don't understand things like pointing but dogs do (they might not get why your pointing but they know you're pointing at something)

That's by today's standards and our cats being actual pets now and being bred for sociability would be smarter than the critters Lovecraft enjoyed.
>>
>Lovecraft named his cat "Nigger man" because he thought it was just as smart.
10/10
>>
TOO LONG DIDN'T READ XD
>>
>>2123256
>dogs are inferior because they do what people want them to
>this means people who like dogs inferior

>cats are superior because they make people do what they want them to
>this means people who like cats are superior

If we follow the logic from his first statement, doesn't that mean humans would be inferior for obeying the cats whim, and thus making the cat inferior for playing with them? I knew Lovecraft was a hack, but this is ridiculous.
>>
>>2124074
>Lovecraft was a hack
Over 90% of his writings are actually good. Steven King is a hack, more than half his shit sucks. I'm not sure you know what a hack is.
>>
you don't see these agressive threads from dog owners, constantly trying to validify a certain animal by pitting it against another. Just cat owners
>>
>>2123779
This is so fucking stupid, chimpanzees and gorillas don't understand the concept of pointing any more than cats do. But both chimps and gorillas can learn to speak in american sign language. They can communicate in OUR language. Do you understand that?

Just because an animal can be trained to look at where a random digit is directed does not mean it is intelligent. Nor does it mean an animal is stupid because it doesn't give a fuck where your random digit is directed.
>>
>>2123738
Damn, I need to read Lovecraft.
>>
>>2124274
validate*
fuck you kids are stupid

also cats are vermin and should be regarded accordingly
>>
Cats are dumber than fuck. Positive/negative reinforcement is completely lost on them. Meaning they have no concept of cause and effect. They only see themselves and then a world around themselves.

Also, their problem solving abilities pretty much end at pulling a door open and knocking something over
>>
Arrogance and independence do not imply intelligence. Arrogance and independence imply arrogance and independence
>>
Quick reminder that all the world's successful nations prefer cats to dogs. If you had a dog growing up, your parents were basically setting you up for failure.
>>
>>2123256
>>2123256
>>2123256
Note that what a cat actually is plays no part in this. Lovecraft mentions that the "superior person" appreciates the obvious qualities of a cat rather than the obvious qualities of a dog.

>>2124331
Actually implies confidence and the means to back it up, since it would be unsustainable otherwise.
>>
Both dogs and cats are retarded in their own special way.

>>2124321
This is absolutely untrue. Cats can and do respond to positive reinforcement, and can be clicker trained like dogs.
>>
>>2123256
>your parents were basically setting you up for failure.

Probably true considering the majority of furries i see are dog related.
>>
>>2124334
correlation =/= causation
>>
>>2123779
my cats understand pointing. cats can be taught to understand clickers and snapping as well.
>>
>>2124334
Quick reminder that all the world's successful nations have higher suicide rates than other nations. If your parents didn't encourage your to kill yourself when you were growing up then they were basically setting you up for failure.
>>
File: le_are_you_serious_face.jpg (6 KB, 228x166) Image search: [Google]
le_are_you_serious_face.jpg
6 KB, 228x166
>>2124331
>arrogance
>projecting human behaviour on animals to validate own opinion
>>
>>2123256
Fagsplaining: when someone tries to justify being a faggot or generally subservient. The most extreme example of fagsplaining can be found in OPs image.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.