[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm getting ready to move with my dog to another apartment
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (402 KB, 934x514) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
402 KB, 934x514
I'm getting ready to move with my dog to another apartment in another state. He's a rescue and has been with several foster families, so I'm guessing he's accustomed to change to some extent, but what's the best way to get him adjusted to the new place?

I have his favorite blanket at the ready, plus a chair that he likes to nap in while I'm away. He likes long car rides, but is there anything else I should do when I get to the new place?
>>
>>2123174
Just chill. He'll probably be nervous for a few days and pace and whine a bit, but he'll get over it.

Take him out on walks and let him get used to the area, play with him a bit more.
>>
>>2123178

Thanks. If it ever got to the point where he starts having accidents, I was wondering if I just put him in the crate while I'm away. I only really crate him when I'm asleep at night, and I let him roam around during the day, so I'm hoping this doesn't mess with his routine.
>>
>>2123189
It's good for a dog to learn crate training, but after that you shouldn't be using it regularly unless it's the dogs then, in which case it should be open.

If he's not completely potty trained yet, however, definitely crate a bit when you first move until her learns that the house is his new area and outside is where he should go potty.
>>
>>2123190
Unles it's the dogs den*
>>
>>2123190

He's potty trained, but I think he gets nervous in larger areas. Case in point, I'm in an apartment right now, and when we went to visit my parents' house, he had a few accidents. When I first got him three months ago, he didn't have any. Maybe he does better in smaller places?
>>
>>2123194
He hasn't fully learned that buildings/houses mean no potty spots.

Which means he isn't fully potty trained, and I would definitely start over with the potty training.
>>
Related, but I am bringing home another dog. I already have one dog and two cats. My first dog is super extroverted and more or less made himself at home right away, but this new dog is a lot more shy.

How should I make her at home? Should I gve her space to explore but supervise to make sure the cats won't bully her, or should I give her lots of attention right away?
>>
>>2123195

So I'm guessing I just confine him to a single space in the apartment, and praise him and give him treats when he goes outside? He seemed to have everything figured out when I first got him.
>>
>>2123545
Ya pretty much.

If he goes in that area, put him in a smaller area, like the bathroom, and take him out to play/potty/eat, only. Hopefully he won't need a smaller area, but if you have to you have to. As long as you're taking him out often and making sure he's getting enough exercise and stimulation, it shouldn't bother him to be in a smaller space for a while.

As for your parents house, maybe not feed him before you go over, and while at their house, watch him closely and pick up on his potty signs. Take him outside and make him feel like he's won the jackpot if he does go; play, run around, throw treats, whatever.
>>
>>2123557
Thanks. This really puts me at ease. He's kind of a Velcro dog, so he may whine a little bit if I put him in a small space. When I first got him, I confined him to the living room area (450 sq ft) and he did just fine. The accidents that he had at my parents' house were when I was gone, because I stupidly thought that he'd know not to pee in a house;this is my first dog.

So far, I plan to keep him confined to either the bathroom or the living room area of the new place, and take him out more often until he's used to the place. He's very food motivated, so I was thinking about playing a game where I hide treats around the apartment. I want to use the crate as a last resort because he usually gets crated at night, and I've been told to stick to his usual routine. I just don't want to add any more stress to his life.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.