[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm thinking about getting a pet Fennec. Someone talk me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7
I'm thinking about getting a pet Fennec. Someone talk me out of it.
>>
>getting a rowdy, destructive, disobedient wild animal as a pet just because it's cute

Just get a tiny puppy.
>>
They screech.
>>
>>2122751
I'm so over dogs, I've had 3 for the past 5 years. Maybe I'll just get a shitty tabby. Cats are always cute.
>>
>>2122754
Get a black throat monitor lizard pussy
>>
>>2122754
Fennecs are worse than dogs in terms of pets. besides. If you don't live in an Arid climate with a huge sandy backyard. Don't get one.
>>
>>2122754
If you want something cute and unusual, get an axolotl. They're nice and quiet, don't screech like a banshee on fire at all.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su3ovMsFXMg
>>
>>2122810
I'm speechless.
>>
>>2122810
People always seem to forget these are still wild animals despite being cute. What is it with people and thinking Fennecs make acceptable pets?
>>
>>2122813
>>2123119
What's the big deal? It's just excited. I'm not saying I don't agree that they aren't good pets, but that's a bad example. Dogs do that all the time.
>>
>>2123125
When my dog gets excited she bounces, barks, runs around, but she doesn't screech and try and run away when I try to pet her, and more importantly I can calm her down without too much trouble, versus a wild animal where trying to pet them and call their name will do nothing.
>>
when you're "pet" even slightly breaks the skin on someone's hand with their teeth (which they will because they bite the shit out of you) they'll be taken away by normal control and put down
>>
>>2123131
>run away
Its not running away. Its excited, it wants to run around, smell everything, see everything, etc. Its like how some people/animals cant sit still when nervous, excited, happy, etc.
>>
>>2123211
>A fenec is just an autistic smelly dog
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zODvoeJQk9A
This is what Boxxy is doing now
>>
>>2123228
I'm still in love with her ._.
>>
>>2123185
Yeah, this isn't a joke or an exaggeration.There is no approved rabies vaccination for foxes, the dog vaccine probably works in all logic, but you can't prove it legally. So if your fox ever bites anyone and they complain to the authorities, it will be killed to test it for rabies, because no one fucks around with rabies when a human has been bit. It doesn't even have to actually bite someone, they can just lie about it, so you have to be careful who you even let know you have the fox.
>>
>>2122749
They scream like dying children instead of barking or whining or making any other noise
They destroy shit and aren't easily trained
They're borderline psychotic and the screaming will drive you nuts.
>>2122796
Holy fuck I just got one at the reptile expo,
they smell worse than my ferrets. Like, all I did is put him in his fresh tank and it reeks.
He's cute as fuck but it's fucking hard to clean up the bloodworms he wont eat and the smell is overpowering
>>
OP here, you've convinced me. I'm just going to adopt a cat from a shelter.
>>
>>2123260
Just don't let it outdoors you tosser
>>
>>2123260
Look for a larger floofy chihuahua with big ears and name it Fennec
>>2123267
>tosser

Anon, sit down, you're drunk
>>
Just get an owl instead.
>>
OP here, just kidding I actually bought two fennecs
>>
>>2123281
>The stupidest, smelliest, vomiting bird of them all.
>>
>>2123283
Same shit except you can actually tame an owl.
>>
File: belyaev_silver-foxes.jpg (25 KB, 410x375) Image search: [Google]
belyaev_silver-foxes.jpg
25 KB, 410x375
While we're on the topic is there any form of fox that can work? I read the silver ones from the domestication experiments are cheap and act more like dogs than anything else.
>>
>>2123294
The domesticated foxes are essentially fox-shaped dogs, they make good pets since, you know, they're domesticated and not just a wild animal.

Honestly though, just get a dog, it's cheaper and legally easier. If you're that dead set on getting a fox though, the domesticated ones are the only real option.
>>
>>2123296
>The domesticated foxes are essentially fox-shaped dogs
oh fuck off, no they are not
>>
>>2123296
No they aren't, stop spreading this.
Domesticated just means they aren't afraid of you or bite you in this case. You'd still need an outdoor enclosure because they can't be indoors without fucking your shit up, and that's assuming foxes are even legal where you live.
>>
Also, find a local vet that will work with foxes and is actually experienced with them before you even get one. When the poor thing is sick is not the time to be trying to find a vet and finding a vet that actually knows how to treat exotics is harder than you'd think.
>>
File: commonestpepeofthemall.jpg (8 KB, 201x201) Image search: [Google]
commonestpepeofthemall.jpg
8 KB, 201x201
>>2122810

NORMIES GET OUT REEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: rwd05-carbuncle.gif (3 MB, 360x203) Image search: [Google]
rwd05-carbuncle.gif
3 MB, 360x203
>>
File: 1462292109416.png (426 KB, 635x640) Image search: [Google]
1462292109416.png
426 KB, 635x640
>>2123282
>>
I have kind of a nature vs nurture question

If you get a red fox pup real young one like one you have to bottlefeed, and raise him with friendly and trained domesticated dogs, will fox pup grow more like to be like dog?

Would he potentially learn to go to door to go potty? To listen to humans better than vs not raised with dogs? Will he grow more affectionate and less skittish? I wonder if raised with these loving dogs or dog, if it would have any benefits?

I know they are not really social animals except the noisy fennec, but they do form bonds with animals when given the chance (in captivity)
>>
>>2123393
Why is its dick growing out of its head?
>>
>>2123387
>>>/r9k/
>>
Have fun never going on a vacation ever again because almost no one will board it
>>
>>2123259
>Like, all I did is put him in his fresh tank and it reeks
It must be ammonia.
>>
>>2122810
It's not that bad.
>>
File: 1399475962289.gif (185 KB, 283x250) Image search: [Google]
1399475962289.gif
185 KB, 283x250
>>2123228
My queen.
>>
File: AmericanRatPinscherstuff069.jpg (87 KB, 400x258) Image search: [Google]
AmericanRatPinscherstuff069.jpg
87 KB, 400x258
just get a rat terrier/min pin/ cross

as long as they have a tail and no god awful ear job they're cute as hell and you won't have a screaming hell demon animal on your hands
>>
>>2125296
No offense but that's not even half as cute as fennec fox
>>
>>2125303
also not half as annoying

cute gets old after a week
>>
>>2125304
That's a personal opinion. I don't mind the excited scream of a fennec but I really hate to hear dogs bark
>>
>>2122749
>>2125316
Are you the faggot that just got a coyote and took it back?
>>
>>2125933
I'm not, I advised against it
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.