[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tropical House Geckos
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: house-gecko.jpg (9 KB, 560x440) Image search: [Google]
house-gecko.jpg
9 KB, 560x440
I need to know more about these
>>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_house_gecko

Where I live they sort of appear on their own and reproduce a lot, but they're stupid and the young ones die quite often.

I want more of them so I've been thinking on some sort of gecko feeder or 'fake environment' but I have no idea of where to start.
Starting with food that doesn't escape, ideal temperature and whatever else I shouls think about.

also...
>is it okay to call them lizards?
>>
Die how?
The easiest thing would be to leave out a dish of water, and a plastic rubermaid tub with some crickets in it if you really want to feed them.

Also yes, they are lizards.
>>
>>2121270
super small ones have wandered a lot in places where there's too much water for them, so I'm guessing they drown.
Breeding crickets would be a good idea, it seems. I just want them to eat up spiders and mosquitoes.
>>
>>2121274
Breeding crickets is the worst thing ever. I highly recommend roaches over crickets, they're better and easier in every regard, and the feeder kind won't infest your house.
>>
>>2121275
I think my family would hang me by the nipples considering we had a bad cockroach infestation years ago. Any way to keep them as aislated as possible? What's so bad about crickets?
>>
>>2121279
Any of the guides on breeding them contains them well. Just google dubia roach breeding. They aren't really anything like the roaches you're used to, they act more like slow beetles than anything.

Crickets suck because they smell horrible, have short lifespans, die extremely easily, and are loud as fuck. Also they escape everywhere because they jump.
>>
>>2121264
Are you trying to keep some as pets or just create habitat for wild ones?
>>
>>2121280
I see, thank you

>>2121282
Habitat, they're pretty much everywhere already and they have been able to survive for various years since they came. But as I stated, they aren't too smart
>>
A house plant with thick foliage would work as a hiding place. You can set up a drip system for water and some outdoor lighting to attract moths and other insects for them to eat.
>>
>>2121280
holy shit i'm scared at the idea of having to clean their environment. I really hate having to touch bugs and stuff noooo aaaaa
>>
Op is a pussy
>>
>>2121303
I can take that :^(
I'm a neat freak if anything, I just wanna get rid of the spiders leaving cobwebs everywhere with the geckos
>>
>>2121299
Welcome to herpetoculture.
>>
>>2121264
Tropical House Geckos are a pest species that carries diseases; don't even bother man.
>>
>>2122344
Wat? Malaysian here. They're bros in moderate numbers. They eat mosquitoes, flies and roaches.
>>
>I just wanna get rid of the spiders leaving cobwebs everywhere with the geckos
well that's a dumb plan.
>>
>>2122344
>>2122784
Australian here. In northern parts of the country they can be quite bothersome but not dangerous. Males have very noisy fights and as they are nocturnal this can interfere with sleep. It's not uncommon for gecko's to drop from the ceiling onto heads, into laps or even into food when sitting around on the deck or having dinner.

I've got nothing against them but they certainly thrive in tropical climates and can become quite annoying in higher numbers.

Never heard anything about them spreading disease, conversely, I've been lead to believe they are good pest control.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.