[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help me identify these goofy ass spiders? Location: Florida
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8
File: DSCF1365.jpg (36 KB, 1000x562) Image search: [Google]
DSCF1365.jpg
36 KB, 1000x562
Help me identify these goofy ass spiders?

Size: no bigger than a silver dollar
Pigment: brown
Death goop: brown
Noises: none
Webs: none visible
Habitat: all over my fucking house. Usually scurrying around like an ant
>>
>>2121082
Some more info-
They seem to like my bathroom and laundry room, which bothers me because A. That's not 3ft from my bedroom, and I prefer to shit, sleep, bathe, and wash my clothes by myself.

They seem very jumpy, not like jumping spiders, but like a paranoid Vietnam vet.
They're quick when they want to be, and they run for cover quite often. They jump in response to loud noises and bangs like a shoe slapping the ground, or my laundry machine changing cycles (it's quite old.)
>>
>>2121082
to make a positive ID we'll probably need a better picture. Can you shoot a picture with a rock? That would be better.
>>
>>2121083
Also, they don't climb, at least I've never seen one on a wall or ceiling. They have what appears to be pads on their legs that act as feet. They scurry from shadow to shadow and stop only on dark rugs (they contrast against my time floors)

my animals ignore their presence, even if my cat sees them he would prefer his nap over chasing or eating them which leads me to believe either they're disgusting or dangerous. Probably the former, considering they're scared of everything.

I once saw one heading towards my shower as I was getting in, so I splashed him and he jumped up in the air about a cm, turned around, and ran behind the toilet.
>>
>>2121086
That picture is the most comparable thing I've seen to them. 99% of the ones I find in my house end up smeared into my floor, stuck to the bottom of a shoe, or set ablaze. the other 1% actually escapes or catches me being lazy.

Either way, I don't think I'll ever be able to take a decent picture to portray the spider in tact enough to determine exactly what it is, was just kind of hoping that the animals and nature guys could help.
>>
>>2121090
someone probably can, but it might take hours or days for that someone to show up.
>>
>>2121090
To clarify, the reason I want to identify them is to determine what living conditions they as a species prefer so I can persuade them to stop breeding in my house.

I don't like spiders, I kill them on sight and if they wiggle into a crevice that won't allow me to swing something at them, I burn them out asap. Sometimes I leave the remains in place to let the others know They're not welcome here. But they just keep coming.
>>
>>2121092
I'm okay with that, would imagine this is a slow moving board anyways, I've never personally posted here before this.

Not really in a rush, been living with them since winter ended, and I don't see that changing until winter comes back.. or until I pay someone to gas them out of my house.
>>
>>2121096
we've got a couple spider experts on board.

watch your thread and bump it once every 12 hours or so. You may get some help. Until then feel free to join us in autistically arguing subjective minutia primarily regarding cats and dogs.

if you're so inclined.

ultimately I suspect the exterminator is going to be your best option though.
>>
File: Snapchat-4522095361595085280.jpg (207 KB, 1080x1776) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-4522095361595085280.jpg
207 KB, 1080x1776
>>2121098
Will do, I just took a picture of this one on my way to the kitchen. it didn't come out great, he wouldn't exactly stay still. so I threw a snapchat filter on it to highlight his patterns, hopefully it's useful.
>>
>>2121103
Note that his colors are brown and darker brown, and he is internally very much so brown.

I would prefer a natural way to get rid of them and keep them out because I don't like the idea of murderous chemicals around my pets, but if that's the only option then so be it. Will any exterminator do or are there certain ones who specialize in spiders?
>>
>>2121107
Game over senpai.
I'm now standing on the arm of my couch because I just watched one crawl out from under my blanket and onto the carpet (I'm poorfag and my bed is on the floor)

What the Fuck do I do in the meantime? I can't burn my bed, please help.. it never ends and I don't want to live like this anymore please. I don't care how retarded and harmless they might be, they're disgusting and in my bed. Where I sleep. And fap. Idk what to do
>>
For serious guys, I don't want to play this game anymore... no place is my own place.. I can't sleep anywhere. I need lids on my cups... I'm going insane.
>>
>>2121115
They bite. Idk how, Idk when, but they do... and it itches. I'd show you but sadly it's NSFW....

I know it's them, because there's nothing else in my house... let alone my bed.
>>
>>2121122

So I threw all my blankets and sheets in the dryer on high heat... it's now on its second cycle.

I moved my mattress into a room that has no other furniture besides a desk and a dresser.

Upon close examination, I realized that there are super tiny barely visible shiny strands that completely layer my mattress on both sides, and the floor it was laying on. As well as the sheets, all of the furniture In the previous room, the entire carpet, and the baseboards.

It's only visible when indirectly shining a white light on it... which leads me to believe these are spider webs. I'm unsure as to what else could cause this, and what troubles me the most is I clean my house every week. Vacuum, sweep, mop, dust,laundry, everything. Yet there's still a film of web on everything, how can this be?

Is it common practice for a spider to leave an almost invisible string behind Everywhere it goes? How do I form a barrier between my sleeping place and the spiders? I've gone from not liking them to hating them in a single night.
>>
File: 1461743606726.png (883 KB, 917x884) Image search: [Google]
1461743606726.png
883 KB, 917x884
bump cause im invested
>>
File: Snapchat-8883689182320551529.jpg (357 KB, 1080x1776) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-8883689182320551529.jpg
357 KB, 1080x1776
>>2121165
Here's a picture of my sheets. It's incredibly hard to capture the shimmery strands of idkwtf that's all over every surface of my house (after looking they're also on the sofa, counter tops, lamp shades, and curtains.) In a picture.

Without the effect of their sudden appearance under the perfect angle of light it just looks like particles of some sort.
>>
File: spider.jpg (305 KB, 1600x1063) Image search: [Google]
spider.jpg
305 KB, 1600x1063
>>2121103
I'm not an expert or anything, but that looks like a wolf spider. They don't generally use webs to capture prey. They hunt stuff, hence the name. Does it look like pic related?
>>
>>2121170
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgellons
>>
File: Snapchat-6315991740755769062.jpg (229 KB, 1080x1776) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-6315991740755769062.jpg
229 KB, 1080x1776
>>2121170
And here's more noticeable ones that have collected dust behind my drawer in my dresser.. Ignore the black spot it's just a dirt spec trapped in my camera lens.

Again notice how its mostly on a single surface as opposed to tying two opposing surfaces together like most spider webs seem to. (Be it between trees, from corner to corner, hanging out in the open, etc.) Again I'm not entirely sure it's from a spider, but I'm certain it's webby and not animal hair, dust, cloth, etc.

Or maybe you're just witnessing my rapid descent into madness, my apologies if that's the case... but I swear to you that the spiders are indeed real.
>>
Pretty sure by the picture you took that they're wolf spiders. Not sure why so many would decide to take up residence in your home since they're mostly solitary hunters.
>>
File: Snapchat-7388391613346272776.jpg (280 KB, 1080x1776) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-7388391613346272776.jpg
280 KB, 1080x1776
>>2121172
Smaller butts and not as hairy... that could just be because they're babies? How many babies do they have in one season.... If I kill the mother will they stop coming?

Here's a dead one. Notice the thin transparent legs? Do wolf spiders drag their assessment while they hunt? Or have a hole they go back to?

>>2121173
As much as I'd love to believe this is all in my head, I can see this shit clear as day. I've killed 7 spiders since I've woken up (yesterday around noon,) 2 escaped, and there's more.
>>
>>2121180
Assuming they're nocturnal (I only go through this hell when the sun goes down) do you know of anything they hate and avoid like the plague that I can spread throughout my house during the day?

Preferably harmless to cats, dogs, and lizards. The internet just keeps telling me to vacuum but it doesn't understand..
>>
Did you try strategically placed adhesive tape? Like around your bed, since they like it so much...
>>
>>2121182
If it's wolf spiders all you can really do is limit access to the inside of your house from the outside. Like literally check windows and what not to make sure there's no room for the spider to squeeze in. Seal any cracks or shit like that inside and outside your house. Make sure your house isn't cluttered. There is a plant based, pet safe, pesticide that I can remember the name of that I've heard suggested once. I'll try and find it for ya.
>>
>>2121189
Also making sure there isn't vegetation like bushes or hedges right up against your house. Turn you outside lights off if you're not using them. The bugs the lights attract can attract more spiders.
>>
>>2121181
What area do you live in? Could help with identification.
>>
>>2121103
I don't know about the other horrible quality pictures of unidentifiable spider jelly you posted but that one is absolutely a wolf spider. With legs like that it's probably Hogna sp. or Rabidosa sp.
>>
>>2121187
Nope. Never thought they would stick to it.. kind of like expecting someone to slip on a banana.

>>2121189
How small of a crack is too small? Will they fight their way into my house with sheer determination? Or will simply making it inconvenient for them be enough to keep them out? My window has been duct taped shut for months but it hasn't seemed to help. The only place I can think of is the dryer vents... but I'm pretty sure plugging that up is a fire hazard

>>2121190
I do have an unruly bush right next to the back door I use to let my dogs out, but a black racer lives there and I adore him, so I haven't bothered to Fuck up his house..

As for the lights, does having inside lights on at night count? Theoretically attracting bugs to my windows and spiders to said bugs? Will thicker curtains solve this problem?
>>2121191
Daytona beach. So, on the northern end of East central Florida I guess.
>>
I gotta go to bed. Sorry I couldn't help more, spiderbro. I'll try and check in tomorrow.
>>
>>2121196
Also, you're an idiot. If there are that many spiders in your house there's something bringing them there. Take care of your cockroach infestation or whatever the fuck it is.
>>
>>2121197
Everything I read is indicating sealing cracks with caulk and making sure things are pretty much airtight. I definitely would not suggest plugging up your dryer vent, but maybe you could look into a fine mesh or something that would resist heat and let air through while also keeping things from coming inside.
>>
>>2121200
No need to insult the guy, dude.
>>
>>2121206
I wouldn't if he hadn't admitted to shit like literally keeping dead spiders around to "leave a message". If he's okay with doing that imagine how filthy the rest of his house must be.
>>
>>2121196
Thank you, if I was a photographer I'm sure I'd take offense but I know my pictures are shit lol.

Almost every spider I've killed looks identical to the last, and they all look like the Hodgins. wolf spider you identified.

I get the occasional huntsman in my garage that I beat with a bat because I'm too scared to approach with a shoe, and I don't trust broom bristles to do the job. Also there's the occasional giant as big fat hairy black spider the size of my hand that eyes me down from across the room.. I remember one was so big I actually let it live. Like, I've seen smaller adult rodents and thought it was a rat.

That said, what would cause my house to be a hot-spot for these hodgins wolf spiders and how do I convince them to get the Fuck out of my house and quit wiping their asses all over my shit? Also my groin bite has gone from itchy to sore.. should I be concerned?
>>
>>2121218
See >>2121200

Clean your house. No detritus. No bugs. Absolutely no abandoned webs or fucking spider corpses because this isn't I Am Legend. Check for humid corners.

I really wouldn't be surprised if what bit you was what's attracting the spiders because that's the case 99% of the time people talk about "spider" bites.
>>
>>2121209
Lol there's no roaches, no beetles, no ants, just spiders and moths. And I don't leave them there for weeks at a time, just until I get home from work in hopes that it would keep more from coming around the same area.. Idk, just figured they had some sort of conscious thought, guess that makes me dumb lol.

Oh I get a decent amount of tiny black things with red stripes on them. Google calls them a two lined spittlebug. They get all over the TV and shit at night. Oh and ear wigs.. but probably 1 for every 30 spiders I come across... TONS of shit outside, most of which I couldn't begin to name.. anyways I appreciate your identification skills. Now I guess I need to figure out how to get them gone.
>>
>>2121219
How the Fuck am I supposed to get rid of the webs when they're every fucking place? I vacuumed 3 days ago and the carpets covered in them. Dust is the only thing in the house I'd consider "detritus" and that's taken care of weekly. Unless the plant in the diningroom counts but I've had it for 7 years and it's leaves are fuller than ever before (it's a devils Ivy)
>>
>>2121226
Assuming those are really all webs and not just your imagination because I've never heard of a spider leaving webs on a carpet, can you imagine the sheer amount of spiders there must be in your house for that to be possible?

They get no benefit from living with you or from anything you do. None. They're hunters and go wherever there's food. There's food in your house and judging by the number of spiders there's lots of it. If I were you I'd be more worried about what else might be living in there. Try a closer look.
>>
Why can't you people learn to take a fucking picture? Honestly, phones these days pretty much auto-pilot that shit with amazing results. And people still come out with stuff like this. God forbid they ever get their hands on a camera that doesn't play angry birds. Who knows what atrocity would come out of it.
>>
File: P_20160513_213341.jpg (1 MB, 4096x2304) Image search: [Google]
P_20160513_213341.jpg
1 MB, 4096x2304
Found in north west Arkansas.
So far I've found a wolf spider and brown recluse in my shower. This guy is the third
>>
>>2121799
Not Florida man. Just didn't want to create a new thread for similar subject.

Also Florida guy. Pick up some Terro from a home supply store. Spray around all your doors, Windows, and along base boards. That well kill most spiders coming in.
Then clean everything. Vacuum, scrub, check vents and air filters. Spiders are predators, take away the things they're interested in and they'll stop coming.
If they do, you might need an exterminator. As suggested, there might be an infestation I your house that is attracting them. It could be in your walls or crawl spaces.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.