[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
resettling extinct animals?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
can we resettle African lions and camels in North America?
there were once american camels and lions so they will probably adapt and the ecosystem will probably adapt to accomodate them in the long run. And we won't have to travel to Africa to see lions / camelos.

are there other extinct animals in one region we can resettle from another?
>>
>>2120935

That's stupid. You're stupid.
>>
>>2120964
This. OP, you are truly an imbecile.
>>
There's a campaign to get about 60 Rhino's from Africa to Aus.
>>
Could we resettle the dodos?
>>
Where would you put large 'extra' and carnivores in North America? Hell we only have 30k mountain lions. There's like a thousand grizzly bears with the exception of Alaska but more than half of that is not inhabitated by human development.

We have the occasional jaguar. People get scared when a coyote wanders into an urban town. Imagine a 700lb lion.
>>
>>2120935
there is a reason they all died here op. climate was a lot different back then
>>
>>2120935
the american lion and the various prehistoric camels where different species then their modern day counterparts that lived in an ecosystem that is no more... ya dingus
>>
>>2121043
>>2121064
To be far, tons of modern animals survived since the Pleistocene period. In the La Brea tar pits alone they have found them, modern mule deer, elk, grizzly bears, we pretty much have every bird that has been found in it still, etc. Not OP but I think plenty of animals that were lost could still survive.

Megafuana are tricky, but when it comes to the american camelids and horses, it's just a little odd to me. Everyone immediately goes to climate change or overhunting but has there ever been any evidence of widespread disease? Or maybe some were like pandas, where they were just very specifically adapted to certain conditions and food.
>>
>>2121220
Didn't the types of grass that are dominant switch over in last ice age to a less nutritious carbon cycle?
>>
>>2120967
Is there even enough food for them to properly graze on? Sounds like an amazing idea other than that tho
>>
>>2121260
I hope there is, Abbos might try and kill them but they would be safer in Aus than fucking Africa.
>>
>>2121276
There aren't that many forests left for the Abos to burn down so I think they'll be fine
>>
Camels maybe, but theres no way in hell anyone is going to be able to get legitimate approval to introduce a breeding population of lions into north america.
>>
>>2121285
Aren't camels considered a huge pest in Australia though? I heard stories that they cull them with fighter jets every so often.
>>
>>2121295
They are no where near as bad as most invasive species but camels are like goats, which means they can pretty much everything. Thwy make the most impact during severe droughts, which even make them die off due to thrist.

it's so weird North America lost camelids. They are well suited for many environments, be it arid desert or tundra. Maybe they aren't fast enough to avoid our predators. Even moose and elk can haul fucking ass fast but llamas and alpacas are pretty fast.
>>
>>2121276
>Abbos would fuck with rhinos
Would love to see some of that comedy on Aus's NITV.
>>
>>2121356
There are ghost camels in AZ. Allegedly.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.