[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we get a bone thread going? After using the Google machine
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 1460609019627.jpg (31 KB, 552x424) Image search: [Google]
1460609019627.jpg
31 KB, 552x424
Can we get a bone thread going?

After using the Google machine I'm getting alot of conflicting information on what bones are acceptable to feed to dogs and what is not.

I assume lamb is out of the questions as its terrible for their health due to fat content. But I'm also hearing some say raw isn't good either.

Would your average beef bone be ok assuming it is the length of the dogs snout so I can't be swallowed? Raw or cooked? Picture unrelated
>>
File: IMG_20160512_151606.jpg (2 MB, 2320x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160512_151606.jpg
2 MB, 2320x1836
>>2120351

Once a month to clean their teeth is what I do.
>>
>>2120371
Yeah but what kinda bone? Beef? Which cut?
>>
>>2120374

Depends on the size of the dog, you cant really go too big but you dont want the dog choking on it so it needs to be large.

Most butchers have beef bones or veal bones for smaller dogs.
>>
Large leg bones are probably your best bet, but you should always monitor them, ESPECIALLY if any piece of the bone can be broken off like knob ends.

Pet stores or feedstores usually carry bones, though not always raw. Raw is going to depend on what you're giving it for.

I have heard it's good for cleaning teeth, but so is brushing and a yearly teeth clean at the vets. If you're trying to put it in for diet, I highly suggest going to a feedstore and getting a ground up bone from a well established raw food company, because bones splinter and break whether raw or cooked and it can be a health hazard.

As for fat content, I wouldn't too much unless your dog is already overweight, at risk for something, old, or you're feeding bones pretty regularly.
>>
>>2120439
*Worry too much

And as far as the ground up bones go, ask your vet first. Bones may not yield as much calcium/nutrition the dog needs simply on their own.
>>
>>2120351
I feed my dog bones and pretty much everything that i can't or won't eat after a succesful hunt. It's usually moose. Dog is 9 years old and i've never had a problem with her choking on something.
>>
From my understanding, you should never give a dog a cooked bone, as they are prone to splintering and the shard can hurt your dog. There is even a risk uncooked bones can splinter.
>>
>>2120351
>I assume lamb is out of the questions as its terrible for their health due to fat content
lol what

We've always fed our dogs raw bones. Mainly beef or lamb. None of them have ever had any problems. Our lab used to get a bone every night (t-bone, chop). She lived to 16 and had great teeth.

If you're super worried try lamb ribs, they're softer.

Also there seems to be a common misconception that dogs can't swallow/digest bones which is retarded.
>>
I feed my 100 lb pupper PMR. For bone content I usually use duck frames, duck feet, and chicken and turkey necks. Occasionally I'll feed whole prey chickens and rabbits. Once in a blue moon I'll give a beef marrow bone, but I really don't like to feed thick weight-bearing bones, and feeding my dog's meals frozen gives her enough chewing stimulation that she doesn't really need extra bones outside of meal times.
>>
I heard that weight-bearing bones are bad to feed because they are too strong; is this true? Right now I don't feed leg bones to my dog but if there's no problem with weight bearing bones then I'd love to be able to give her bigger bones.
>>
>>2122550
It really depends on the dog, definitely not recommended for heavy chewers
>>
>>2120351

Bones are only bad if your dog is retarded or a golden/lab

/thread
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.