[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone here grow mushrooms as a hobby? is it any fun? I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
Anyone here grow mushrooms as a hobby? is it any fun? I'm thinking about picking it up. I'd love to be able to grow something like this in a pot, maybe along with a few different colours of mushrooms, make a nice arrangement.
>>
Anywhere I can read about Fungus and all their weird little features? I've always wondered why they secrete fluid like that, or why certain mushrooms have certain structures, like a net mushroom. But any guide websites I find only really focus on if they're edible or not.
>>
>>2120117
>make a nice arrangement
Mushrooms grow in dark and humid places, you won't be able to display them, you know.
>>
Doesn't fungus need decaying organic material to live off of?
>>
>>2120117
unfortunately mushrooms are very short "lived" as they are just the fruiting bodies of a much less grand looking (but very fascinating) organism. if you're talking about just for fun or to eat you can by grow kits to get started. lions mane is both delicious and spectacular looking
>>
>>2120222
mushrooms fucking terrify me for some reason. Everything about them including the name "fungus" makes me want to vomit and avoid them at all costs.

Their little "fins" are just the grossest shit ever.

I cannot look at them.
>>
>>2120276
you were probably molested and blocked it out. that's why phallic shapes scare you
>>
>>2120276
Because they are neither plants or animals? Like, alien as fuck strange looking lil' creatures? Your fear might be because of how easy is to find bitter or poisonous mushroom comparing to completely edible one.
Anyway, people are huge destroyers, it's so common to see obvious poisonous mushrooms knocked out in the woods just because "dey ebil XDD" so in general for our human race as a whole it's a nice primitive fear to have. Now I think
>Knocked out and crushed mushrooms fucking infuriate me for some reason
>>
>>2120117
You can't make it grow in a pot cuz they grow where the fuck they want, you can maybe have some on a dead tree but they suck ass, still there're boxes where you can grow some and eat them after, pretty cool
>>
>>2120276

there is a zombie fungus that turns bugs into zombies
>>
>>2121821
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuKjBIBBAL8

Some fuckin bullshit. Kind of like rabies to us.
>>
>>2121846
My worst fucking nightmare is something like this transferring to humans.
>>
>>2121849
but then you get to see a giraffe
>>
>>2120117
Jesus, that is one erogenous looking mushroom. What species is it, please?
>>
>>2122070
Ok, thank you google.
>>
Mushrooms?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9ryonXiG10
>>
I would also like to grow mushrooms to display. I live in an RV that I keep pretty dark.
>>
>>2120222
what's the organism if not the mushroom then?
>>
>>2123626
Lad it was a good video, why did you delete it?
>>
File: 8231.weather-station-young.jpg (39 KB, 480x363) Image search: [Google]
8231.weather-station-young.jpg
39 KB, 480x363
>>2120494
They are really, really fun to kick over. If I were a creationist I would assume their purpose is our amusement. I will never stop kicking mushrooms.
>>
File: pink oyster.jpg (75 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
pink oyster.jpg
75 KB, 1024x768
>>2120117
shroomery.com is a great place to learn about growing. Don't let the druggies weird you out, there are a lot of really knowledgeable folks.

>>2120126
Tell that to the the pink oysters on my kitchen counter. Many mushrooms don't need the dark, and there are plenty that don't need high humidity.
>>
File: SyokoLM.jpg (99 KB, 640x800) Image search: [Google]
SyokoLM.jpg
99 KB, 640x800
All this talk reminds me of her.
>>
>>2124101
spores grow and eat nutrients. they fill space in soil(aka substrate) this is called mycellium(SP)
the organism is basically a colony of replicating cells. the mushrooms themselves are a method of reproducing the colony itself, not individual cells.
>>
Having a 'nice mushroom arrangement' isnt really a thing. Also the mushroom itself doesn't last very long. They aren't like flowers. The mushroom is the fruiting body if the fungus. The only time a fungus fruits is to spread spores then the fruit rots. Quickly. You'll only have Mushrooms for a couple days before they turn into a black sticky mess.

It will be hard to have several species of mushrooms in one pot too. They don't have roots like your standard plants. The mycelium creeps through as much soil as it can, then it fruits. If you get two or three different species of mushrooms in one pot, odds are they will either kill each other trying to take over all the soil or you'll only have one species take over the entire pot before fruiting. If you get lucky and they don't kill each other, it won't be some pretty arrangement. You'll just have one kind of mushrooms on one side and another on the other side.

Still, growing mushrooms is a lot of fun. It's easy to get spores for lots of edible, pretty, or illegal mushrooms. Growing them is more then just squirting the spores somewhere and waiting. I've grown oyster mushrooms before. It was fun. I had to make special substrate for them to start growing in, sterilized it, inject spores with a needle, wait for the mycelium to take over the entire substrate, then put them in a special fruiting chamber so they would produce edibles. You have to be insanely clean and very careful every step of the way. If you weren't clean you would grow mold that could be toxic. If you weren't gentle you would damage the fruiting bodies. It was rewarding though and way different then growing a plant. Tasty too.

All mushrooms grow differently, some are easier then others, and your climate may make it easier. I live in a desert so the fruiting chamber was required to keep the humidity up and tempature comfortable. If you live in a mild climate you could probably just leave it on your counter to fruit or maybe can grow them in the garden.
>>
>>2125584
Anyway growing was tons of fun. Someone mentioned shroomery.org and that's a good place to start even though most people there grow magic mushrooms. There are plenty of people that grow legal stuff and they could be helpful.

If you just want to jump in on it look up a series on YouTube called 'Let's grow mushrooms!' It will take you through every step you need to take to grow an easy species like oysters or one of the magic species. Just be prepared. It can be tedious. It's fun and satisfying but it is a rather involved process.
>>
>>2125584
>>2125585
One last thing. Don't buy a grow kit unless you like burning money. Growing mushrooms is dirt cheap and everything you need can be found in hardware stores and a plant nursery. You can get everything for a small easy grow for like 50 bucks.
>>
File: IMG_2032.jpg (567 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2032.jpg
567 KB, 1632x1224
I grew some King trumpets once.

>>2125588

Yeah but for the average normie, getting a clean sample of mycelium and sterilizing the substrate is hard.
>>
File: Pengo.jpg (115 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Pengo.jpg
115 KB, 500x500
>>2121846
what in the unholiest of fucks
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.