[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Worm that builds armour tube?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
Hello.

I collected some amphipod samples from a local lake (lake Waihola) for an experiment. Caught a bunch of other shit like mysid shrimps and Isopoda.

I noticed a moving sausage made of twigs and leaves. Sometimes a little worm head seems to poke out of the twig sausage. This worm and it's sausage armour is eating greenery, leaving holes in leaves. It is very small. What could this be? Some sort of larvae?

Unable to take a photo of this creature. Too small for my shitty device and it is In an odd location. Pic is of my housing for experimental animals.
>>
Also, the sausage shaped tube thing that this worm has made as armour is made out of the materials available in the setup. It is a little builder!
>>
check caddisfly larvae
>>
>>2119946
I looked it up. Seems to check out. Thank you for the information. My previous google search attempts did not work out.

https://vid.me/IYl5

The community is as peace now.
>>
>>2119948
>https://vid.me/IYl5
Thats actually a really, really cool tank anon. I'm jelly. I wish I could find shrimps and stuff in the lakes and streams around me. To bad their polluted as fuck
>>
File: caddisflyjewelry.png (463 KB, 459x559) Image search: [Google]
caddisflyjewelry.png
463 KB, 459x559
>>2119943
Caddisfly larvae WILL build with whatever you provide them. They are carnivorous, blood worms seem to be a good food source.

When I said they'll use anything in their environment, I mean they'll even use gold flake and jewels. Start an etsy store.
>>
>>2119943
>never heard of Trichoptera
did you fail biology in elementary school or are you a special needs one?
>>
>>2120109
What elementary school did you go to that you learned about caddisflies?

If I ever had children, I'd like to send them there
>>
>>2120083
not all are carnivorousness, most are ether omnivore or herbivorous fyi
>>
File: the academic comunity.jpg (131 KB, 480x455) Image search: [Google]
the academic comunity.jpg
131 KB, 480x455
>>2120109
most people dont remember shit from school, like trichoptera for example
>>
>>2120113
Not that anon, but in elementary school we'd always have a few field trips every year. I remember a couple times we walked down to the creek to catch fish, frogs and crayfish, turn over rocks and saw the caddis fly larvae, and so on with a biologist from the FWS or the university who'd talk about the ecosystem and their research. I think that's pretty common in the US.
>>
>>2121081
yeah in 5th and 6th grade I went to camps in school. Five days of wandering around the woods and deserts looking at plants and animals. Some weird stuff testing water pH and also some survival type fire starting classes. Roasted rabbit from the grocery store cooked over a fire we almost lit with 2 matches.

oh, and bedwetting. Seemed to be a lot of that going on. Also the possible mass-looting of a particular archaeological site for significant artifacts.
>>
>>2120109
>>2121052
Lol, you are not about to convince me that you were taught AND remembered the genus name for aquatic macro-invertebrates in elementary school

You are a big fucking liar
>>
>>2121089
Order*
>>
>>2121089
He might not be lying.
I was stuck in the TAG (Talented and Gifted) class in 5th grade and we were taught the binomials of about 20 tidepool inverts before going on a field trip to Boiler Bay to look for them.

I still remember almost all of those latin names, unfortunately. Most days I can't remember where I put the car keys or the name of the girls I dated when I was 22, but I won't ever forget Strongulocentratus purpuratus or Cryptochyton stelleri.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.