[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The neighbour's just installed a chicken coop with about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_4274.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4274.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
The neighbour's just installed a chicken coop with about 6 chooks right next to our back 6ft fence and my 6 month old herding dog (kelpie x koolie) is obsessed.

I'm worried about her either jumping over or digging under the fence while we're out to get to them. I don't know if she'd kill them or just try to play with them but I don't want to find out. We lay bricks across fence line because she's made attempts to dig under. She's pretty small at the moment (15kg) but incredibly agile and will grow out a bit more.

She gets two to three huge walks a day so it's not out of boredom, just pure fascination.

Anyone have any experience with jumpers/diggers? Or experience with working dogs going after livestock?
>>
>>2117741
If they have a coop maybe try to let them sit nearby with you til they get used to them, you know, introduce them in a safe setting. At least that's what I've always heard about introducing dogs to potentially edible animals.
>>
Well its too late for you but PEOPLE PLEASE EVALUATE YOUR CHOICE OF DOG.

>buying a musterers dog.
>not mustering.
>my dog is too _______ please help me.
>>
>>2117753

The dogs got dingo in it.
>>
>>2117769
We didn't buy her, we got her from an accidental farm litter that was going to end up in the country pound.

Also herding doesn't involve eating, Farm dogs don't eat farm animals. The place she came from had a chicken coop next to the dog pen.

>>2117753
We don't really speak to those neighbours, but some of our other friends have chooks so maybe we could take her over to their place and supervise? She's not aggressive, but is incredibly inquisitive.
>>
>>2117778
You do realise the herding instinct is simply toned down hunting? Given enougn freedom it turns into a nip then a killing bite. My heading dog will kill sheep if its allowed
>>
>>2117741
Call the city on them
>>
yes, she will kill them

put angled barbed wire on the top of the fence, and pour concrete at the bottom

I've seen dogs be seized and labled a level 5 PDD for killing a neighbor's chickens before. if your dog gets over there and kills them (she will) and they want to press chargers, your dog will be labeled a dangerous dog. if they legally can have hens where you live, you wouldn't stand a chance in court.

or, you know, don't just leave her outside unsupervised
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.