[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is getting a doggo to help combat depression a good idea?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: FB_IMG_1462391703956.jpg (80 KB, 1087x847) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1462391703956.jpg
80 KB, 1087x847
Is getting a doggo to help combat depression a good idea?
>>
it can go either way
>>
>>2117506
Meaning?
>>
>>2117506
this
maybe you'll start going out more cuase of the dog
or maybe it'll just be a burden.
Personally tho seeing my dogs being stupid happy makes me happy
>>
>>2117504
doggo is a very easy way to make a friend.
be friendly, open-hearted, and caring for the dog and he will give it back times a hundred.
do not abuse doggo

relationship toward others is always a reflection of the relationship toward yourself. You can use this connection as a tool, but dont let you or the dog fall victim to it.
>>
>>2117512
Kinda what I'm thinking as well, I really don't want to get a doggo and then don't give him the attention he needs. Even tho that's not "me" I'm still afraid it can happen
>>2117514
>doggo is a very easy way to make a friend.
be friendly, open-hearted, and caring for the dog and he will give it back times a hundred.
do not abuse doggo
:)
>relationship toward others is always a reflection of the relationship toward yourself. You can use this connection as a tool, but dont let you or the dog fall victim to it.
Explain?
>>
>>2117522
the way you interact with others is often a projection of you you interact with yourself. for ex. if you get angry at others some reason, it likely means you're angry at yourself for the same reason.
likewise if your dad beats you up, you yourself will end up beating yourself up, mentally.
and the dad probably did it because he actually wanted to beat himself up but he projected it on you instead.
people who are egoist themselves will call others egoists, will get triggered by others supposed egoism.

so all of these face of your emotional life are connected. If someone loves you (like a girlfriend), you are yourself, as a consequence, inclined to love yourself because you feel lovable.
and when you love yourself you will love othrs naturally, without trying.

you can start such kind of process manually, by intentionally acting and being happy and friendly towards others, and people will indeed respond to positive energy with more positive energy. You can light a 100 candles with one first candle, without shortening its lifespan.

It works with people, with with a dog it's just so easy. They're cute so easy to love. Feed him, kinda pet him, be the person that cares for him and that he sees around. He will respond to that with unconditional love. Likely this works better with a puppy but it happens when people find stray dogs, or rescue them from shelters too.

When you feel unconditionally loved by your dog you will start to love yourself. You will say "damn I must be a good person if I can be loved this much" and this feeling will stay in you and passively might help fight that moments when depression wants to creep in. You will become more friendly towards others. Social interaction with animals gives exp for general social interaction stats too.

If you hate yourself don't beat up the dog. If you did your best and loved it, don't beat yourself up if something happens to the dog.
>>
>>2117506
This.

There have been lots of times my animals give me reason to live and keep going, but other times where I have to fight through how I feel to give them the proper care (the worst is feeling so horrible I don't clean the cat boxes).

An animal can give you purpose, but when you are at your worse, they can be huge burdens. I wouldn't recommend it as the only way to fight depression, but they can help you through dark times.
>>
>>2117506
This.

I love animals and started fostering a dog thinking it would help with my depression. I only neglected it and then it became a toxic circle

>depressed
>can't properly take care of dog as much as I'd like
>get even more depressed
>get even worse at taking care of dog

I'd say, if you can, foster a dog for a while and see how it goes. But I wouldn't suggest diving in. Because the only thing worse than being depressed is dragging something down with you.
>>
I'm considering getting a pet but I'm afraid of not having the responsibility/commitment.

I feel like having a pet to spend time with daily after classes is good for me and I'd love to have rewarding something to do with my time. But I'm afraid of not being the pet type of person.
>>
>>2117504
dont, i got depressed and negleced my dog towards he end of his life.
Now im depressed and guilty
>>
File: 1451146241130.jpg (114 KB, 625x505) Image search: [Google]
1451146241130.jpg
114 KB, 625x505
We /r9k/ now
>>
File: 5_26_13-Dog-and-Lion3-590x412.png (416 KB, 590x412) Image search: [Google]
5_26_13-Dog-and-Lion3-590x412.png
416 KB, 590x412
>>2117504
In most cases like this, either they were raised together like buddies or adopted siblings, or the dog adopted the wild animal which formed the bond.

Otherwise, this footage would pretty much be impossible.
>>
>>2117549
Get an aquarium. A super easy low maintenance aquarium. A single betta in a ten gallon with a few clumps of java moss or a couple of marimo moss balls tossed in is as basic and stress free as you can get.

But for the love of god, DO NOT get goldfish, they are domesticated carp, can grow to be up a foot long, and are colossal poop machines.
>>
File: 1273907299696.jpg (512 KB, 1760x1168) Image search: [Google]
1273907299696.jpg
512 KB, 1760x1168
>>2117526
That was a cute read until
>can light a 100 candles with one first candle, without shortening its lifespan.
Since it's a nature board I ought to say it's false sentence. The candle in question will die out around trice as fast simply due to the bigger part of flame melting the candle in question. Don't use crappy obviously false metaphors in cute reads mang.
>>
File: b5XlpmB.gif (2 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
b5XlpmB.gif
2 MB, 400x225
>Tfw no slimy snail friend

>>2118131
I used to had a goldfish as a kid. He was real cool but I think he was sick even before we got him.

Released it into a pond bc I had to immigration
>>
I got a dog because I was depressed and it helped. Gives me a reason to wake up in the morning, a buddy, and someone who needs me instead of just thinking about my problems and feeling sorry for myself I'm taking care of her
>>
My cat has helped me with depression in the past, but I think it depends on how selfish you are. And that's not to say there's anything inherently wrong with being a little selfish, but say the dog wants to go outside, and you feel like shit. Are you most likely to:
a) get up and take the dog for a walk, even though you really don't want to
or
b) ignore dog and go back to sleep (or whatever)?

If the answer's a, a dog might be a good option for you, because it'll motivate you to do things you might not do on your own. If it's b, then no, you're not ready. Try other methods first (medication, therapy) before getting an emotional support dog in that case.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.