[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just how emotional can animals get? My cat has gotten really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: socks chilling out.png (603 KB, 611x607) Image search: [Google]
socks chilling out.png
603 KB, 611x607
Just how emotional can animals get? My cat has gotten really attached to me, to the point where I can't leave the house for any reason before she starts calling for me. My parents say she'll sit by the door and "howl" for me. Some nights I stay with my bf, so maybe she's worried I won't return? She was a stray that was abandoned due to an owner's death so I figure that might have something to do it, but I didn't even know cats were capable such emotion or even attachment. She refuses to leave my side, it's quite dog-like. Is this something any of you have seen from a cat before?
>>
Cats are extremely loyal reatures to the point where their behavior to others looks arrogant as fuck. It's just that their loyalty comes out from respect for the said person. I have even seen cases where for housewives their cats got dead birds and/or rats as a token to help around while making meals.
Hell, for example my cat tends to do everything with regardless of what I do. I start eating anything, so does he. I go to bathroom, so does he to his own.
The only thing he doesn't seem to understand is mathematics.
>>
I own a very tiny female cat, she was the least liked of the litter so I picked her.
She's fully grown now despite looking like a 4-6 moth old cat, was fixed before reaching puberty and is indoors.
I cannot put in words how much this cat loves me. It is not a matter of being pet or not, she likes to lean against me as much as possible, every single night we sleep either cuddling or with her stretched out around my head or neck.
She greets me when I come home with a short sweet mew and blink, kneads me as much as she can.
She developed her way of getting my attention by either pawing my arm, gently touching my face with her paw and running it down my cheek, or standing up on two paws and putting her arms up (like that gif of the guy lifting his cat up like a child).

It's sort of hard really, I've developed such a strong feeling for this cat that it's a nightmare to think of anything bad related to her. I hope she lives a long, happy life, she's literally the only being I care about. I'm a selfish-materialistic-asshole-leader type person but for some reason my heart melts when I see her little fluffy face in the morning.
>>
One of my cats will only let me touch him. If any other person touches him, he will lash out at them. I adopted him 3 years ago. I suspect he was just abused and doesn't trust anyone. My other cat sleeps all night with me in the bed, and will cry if she can't figure out where I went in the house.

Cats are incredibly affectionate and loyal. It's just the way they show affection is very understated compared to dogs, and some of their other behaviors give them the aloof arrogance that makes many people who don't understand cat body language associate with them.
>>
cats don't have emotions.

so the answer to your question is not at all.
>>
>>2117328
>and will cry if she can't figure out where I went in the house.
Too cute.
>>
File: socks now.jpg (32 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
socks now.jpg
32 KB, 400x400
>>2117322
OP here. You pretty much described my cat. The vet examined her and told me that she was spayed at a very young age. She cuddles with me every night, and will meow at me and get annoyed if I'm not in bed with her after a certain time. She'll then curl up under my right armpit, or on my shoulder and we'll sleep like this. She's extremely talkative, and will chitter and meow as she walks over to me when I call her.

It just doesn't seem healthy though for her to cry or call for me everytime I go out at night, as I've been told she does. It almost sounds like an anxiety issue.
>>
Yeah. I used to have a cat with super bad separation anxiety. He was so freaking attached to me. I loved him so much. I rescued him as a kitten and he never forgot.

He would yowl all day while I was at work, follow me around everywhere I went and yowl if he lost sight of me, sleep with his little head nestled into my hand every night like my hand was his personal pillow, he would demand pets any time I sat at my computer and would snuggle up with his tiny little nose touching mine and then sneeze right in my face, he would lay on my lap when I took baths (I eventually had to switch to all showers just because of all of that cat hair, omg), I could take him camping and hiking with me because he know that the tent was home and that I was home no matter where we were. OMG I miss him. I still have dreams about him at night. I'll think I feel him in the bed next to me or think I hear him purring. I really wish cats had longer life spans.
>>
My old girl was like this. My family got her and her sister as kittens, and when she got to be 8-10 years she attached to me very, very strongly. She'd follow me around everywhere, sleep with me every night, and had a particular excited meow she only did when I'd walk into the room.

Once I went overseas for a month... during one of my check-in calls, my mom told me the cat was sitting on my bed crying for me. I thought she was exaggerating until I came home and discovered that if I sat quietly in the bathroom or somewhere she couldn't see for a while, I'd hear her in my room making the most hearbreaking yowls I've ever heard a feline make. I'd go check on her and she'd do her excited "it's you!" meow and be fine, then stopped doing it entirely after several days when she presumably realized I was home for good.

>>2117501
I wish I had advice to offer, but my old girl liked my mom enough that she was fine when I was gone for just a day or two. Maybe look into Feliway? It's a pheromone spray that calms cats during stressful situations. You could squirt some on a blanket to leave by the door and/or on your bed.
>>
>>2117534
How old are you? 35-40?

If you raise your cat right they reliably live to 20.
>>
>>2117556
38. I found my little ball of separation anxiety when I was 12.

The oldest cat I had lived to be 21 before her quality of life tanked and we had to put her down. Some cats just don't live that long though. I had a cat who developed cancer but acted entirely normal until his body cavity was full of tumors. On day 2 of hiding under the bed, I dragged him in to our vet and after running some imagining, we decided that we needed to put him down. He only made it to 12.
>>
>>2117303
Seee
>>
Cats only like you because you feed it

When it finds someone else who feeds them, they will forget about you in a heartbeat
>>
>>2117777
[citation needed]
>>
>>2117303
Cats are incapable of caring about you.
>>
>>2117805
>cats have emotions
[citation needed]
>>
File: animal loss.jpg (498 KB, 631x5372) Image search: [Google]
animal loss.jpg
498 KB, 631x5372
>>
>>2117807
>>2117813
They're social animals so of course they have emotions. Most people think they're solitary animals but they ARE social animals, just that they have different social structures than dogs. If they didn't have emotions they wouldn't look out for each other and they'd die out
>>
>>2117813
nice strawman buddy ya got me there flippin that burden of proof by implying i said something I didnt
>>
>>2117303
>cat poops when you poop
I can imagine a cat doing that, but it seems a bit psychotic.
>>
>>2117303
>be vet assistant
>long time client of the clinic drops off a 10 year old cat, he was getting too old to take care of a cat and was getting ready to move into a nursing home
>dude's crying about it and begs us to rehome her for him and begs us to not kill her or take her to a shelter where she'll probably get killed
>take it in, knowing full well that no one is going to adopt a 10 year old cat
>every day I feed her, she hisses at me but then purrs loud when I pet her
>after two weeks, can't handle it any more, take her home with me even though I really didn't want to have a pet
>every time I come home, she greets me by yowling at me, hissing and running away, and then looking back at me and meowing until I go up to her and pet her
She's so tsundere. She likes to sit on my lap and cuddles up to me after I've been home for an hour or so. I like to think that she's thankful for having a home to roam around and do kitty things, instead of sitting in a kennel all day while crazy clinic things happen.
>>
File: tsun cat.jpg (34 KB, 476x320) Image search: [Google]
tsun cat.jpg
34 KB, 476x320
>>2118006
>>
>>2117907
And now I'm fucking crying
>>
>>2117907
well that made me a whole lot sadder, death sucks ass
>>
>>2117314
When I was in high school, my cat would wait for me at the end of my (very long) driveway and walk me home when I got off the bus. She's not all that fond of other people, but she'll sit on my shoulder.
>>
>>2117907
I didn't come to this thread for these kind of feels.
>>
>>2118006
>not adopt a 10 year old cat
nigger 10 years aint shit for a cat wtf
thats like the perfect age in between "annoying as fuck" and "oh shit kidney disease"
>>
Mammals share similarities, news at 11.
>>
>>2117907
;_;
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.