[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Didn't know if this belongs in /an/ or /adv/, so I'll
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1422280869002.gif (988 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1422280869002.gif
988 KB, 250x250
Didn't know if this belongs in /an/ or /adv/, so I'll try here first.

I'm in a bad situation. My sick 65 year old father really wanted a dog. So we got a puppy 3 days ago. Since we got her, we've been pretty much fighting nonstop and our relationship has taken a nose dive.

Our problem is this: he has raised dogs before, and thus is completely disinterested in any advice on how to raise this new dog. His way is the best way. The puppy even came with a 15 page manual of basic training techniques from the humane society. He refuses to read it. He's utterly convinced he knows better.

His training includes yelling and sometimes hitting her when she goes inside. Ignoring scheduled feeding (feeding her double in some sittings because she will eat that much). Shoving his hand into her mouth when she nips and yelling "no". Not using any commands. Locking her outside for 20 minutes when she goes inside out of frustration, and feeding her constant treats for no reason.

As for me, I want to raise her exactly according to the manual. Positive reinforcement, very rare treats, moving poops outside, using command words for excreting, etc.

I refuse to help him train her badly. I also won't train her my way while he trains her his way, since I'm pretty sure that'll just confuse her. I'm fine with cleaning up poops and helping exercise her, but beyond that I won't entertain his training methods. I'm also trying to get a job and move away, meaning I won't be around to raise her.

Finally, it's his dog; not mine. I picked it out (he would have gotten a random from a kill shelter if I didn't step in and help choose). It was agreed beforehand that I would help raise it. Since the pup has gotten here, he's done 70% of the work because I'm too frustrated with his methods and don't want to confuse her anymore than she is. We've already spent about $800 on her.

What should we/I do in this situation? I really need urgent advice.
>>
>>2115522
Don't worry too much about it. He knows what he's doing. Actual experience is more useful than a book you got from the humane society
>>
>>2115522
You're retarded. Should have thought of that before getting your equally retarded dad a puppy.
Enjoy knowing you're the reason a dog has to live through all this.
>>
Just kill the dog and serve it to him
>>
>>2115522
This is a hard one I think. On one hand experience usually is better for training dogs, and he may have more knowledge than the manual in certain aspects, but you should still never hit a dog or give it too many treats or skip meals. I don't know the context of how far you would let this go or how well you guys are connected. Honestly beating dogs and excessive food can raise them pretty shit. I'd try to step in, tell him to stop, if I have to get some help from others.

Again I'm just generalizing because don't have deeper context. Could be over nothing in the end could turn out fine but not very likely
>>
>>2115534
He would have got a dog regardless.

>>2115539
He has mild psychosis. Nothing too bad, but it's there. Furthermore he's extremely stubborn in his ways and views about everything.

I have stepped in and told him to stop. I've pleaded with him to read online training guides, videos etc. Why do you think we've been fighting?

I just don't know what to do. Do I just go along with his program? It's his dog after all. I just really resent him for it. I refuse to train her one way if my dad is taking another route. It just wouldn't make sense and confuse the pup.

Am I in the wrong? I don't even know anymore...
>>
>>2115527

>this idiot
>>
>>2115539

Literally 80% of people do not know how to train a dog.

He might have "experience", but all of his last dogs didn't listen to a single word he said.

Experience is not the same thing as being good at it.
>>
>>2115548
The last dog that he raised that I was around was trained well enough.

But this was over a decade ago, back when he was in sound mind and physical shape.
>>
>>2115547
Woah dude I had a similar problem when I was a teen. i thought I knew what to do from things I read online and training books. Turns out having a very energetic puppy is pretty hard. My dad would do some stuff that a training book didn't recommend and I got all pissy about it. Well he had experience and I didn't really know what I was doing. The dog was great with him. When she would pull on a walk he would snap the leash. I didn't like that. But after a week she would perfectly walk in heel with him but still pull with me. She loved him(and still does)even though he did things I didn't think would end well. I realize this could be different from what's happening in the op, but it sounds similar. There's also a possibility that op is over reacting to what's happening.
>>
>>2115544
If you think it's wrong and hurting the dog do something about it. Its probably shit either way, but how shitty it is is up to you to measure and be honest about.
>>
>>2115527
Education trumps experience
>>
>>2115607
Plz b b8
>>
move out
>but I'm underage
stop posting, it's a bannable offense here.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.