[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Brumby (Australian Feral Horse) Cull
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: Brumbies.jpg (892 KB, 2304x1728) Image search: [Google]
Brumbies.jpg
892 KB, 2304x1728
Australian government planning to cull thousands of wild/feral horses for environmental reasons.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-01/plans-to-drastically-reduce-snowy-mountains-brumby-population/7373634

This is causing quite a bit of a stir among many people I know and on social media.

Thoughts?
>>
i think its wrong

those horses should be distributed to caring owners

australia is fucked anyway, it's stupid to murder thousands of innocent animals all in the name of what amounts to pissing on the Dresden firestorm
>>
>>2114939
>those horses should be distributed to caring owners
Nobody fucking wants them, otherwise that would be a great idea.

I'm all for the cull, it sucks but they're fucking up everything. They shouldnt even cull them, just try to entirely be rid of them.
>>
>>2114943
>I'm all for the cull, it sucks but they're fucking up everything
But what about us, the human population, which is clearly the biggest detriment off all? Nice hypocrisy.
>>
>>2114945
Humans fuck up the environment, very true.

Therefore we have an obligation to try and rectify some of our damage.

By that logic, culling brumbies is the right thing to do, even if it's awful.
>>
Currently living and working in a national park In America that culled all it's feral ungulates from the 60s to the 90s and is currently ungulate free. Recovery has been slow, but it's amazing to see what the park is like compared to areas still farmed, or newer parks/refugees that haven't been able to cull everything yet. Gods speed, Australia.
>>
>>2114945

Hey, I'd be for a world-wide 1 or 2 child policy,...
>>
>>2114951
I'm the first guy who replied, and I agree.
>>
>>2114945
What you're saying is equivalent to "genocide exists, so we should ignore all other crimes"
>>
>>2114950
Which park? Would be useful to have examples of how effective this has been.
>>
>>2114939
Breaking an adult wild horse is probably very hard, and definitely dangerous. Plus most of those horses are probably diseased.
Far less trouble to kill em. These are majestic creatures roaming their natural habitat. They are an invasive pest.
>>
>>2114945
I am perfectly fine with instituting a global single child rule and culling some of the third world countries
>>
>>2114937
>http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-01/plans-to-drastically-reduce-snowy-mountains-brumby-population/7373634

>Mr Speakman said a range of humane control methods including trapping, mustering, fertility control and ground shooting would be used to carry out the cull.

>Aerial shooting, brumby running and roping have been ruled out, he said.

>Mr Speakman said where rehoming was possible the Government would do so. "Wild horse management is an emotive and complex issue," he said.

I don't see what the problem is. Everyone is acting like these feral animals are going to be walking into minefields full of hidden bear traps.

When instead the healthy ones are getting spayed/neutered then adopted out to good homes. It will only be the sick/bad tempered ones who are going to be killed off.

Plus, did no one read the part about how 600 of these horses will be deliberately left alone because of "muh heritage"?
>>
>>2114993
Because there are definitely only adults available.
>>
>>2115006
Where exactly are these people who want to pay to catch, treat, and adopt thousands of young feral horses?
>>
>>2115015
>greens
>paying for their own retarded policy's

they'll just make 'the 1%' pay for it
>>
>>2115005
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/20/-sp-a-time-to-cull-the-battle-over-australias-brumbies

People really assume that these horses and other feral species live free and idyllic lives. The reality for many ferals is that populations are way too big and there isn't enough resources to even sustain these numbers resulting in thousands and animals starving and suffering over long periods of time. The longer this is debated the more degraded our environment becomes.
>>
I always find it ironic when people get offended about this type of thing, while constantly devouring meat.

I'm not even a vegan or anything, I just think it's pretty hypocritical.

They literally only care because

>muh pretty horses
>>
>>2116219

I would eat a horse, I don't give a shit that they're pretty, what I don't like is murdering animals because you don't like what they do to the environment versus murdering animals so people can eat. People do far worse things to the environment and you wouldn't go around killing them.
>>
>>2116231
>People do far worse things to the environment and you wouldn't go around killing them.

Do you equate killing horses with killing people?
>>
>>2116231
>Murder
>Animals
Son, we don't murder property. We destroy it. Get your head checked.
>>
>>2116231
Just because we would never kill other humans doesn't mean we shouldn't cull other species. Don't you think restoring the ecosystems we ruined in any way we can is more important than not being hypocrites?
>>
>>2114937
we cull animals for a reason this is a non-issue. You aren't going to tame adult wild horses and they aren't worth the money and effort.
>>
>>2114937
You know what really needs to be culled? The tripfag population.
>>
>>2116219
same reason people don't just kill all unwanted dogs upon capturing them
are you mad at shelters too?
>>
>>2116257
>are you mad at shelters too?

I'm not mad at any part of this discussion, lol.
>>
>>2114939

>troll
>>
>>2114937

People are fucking retarded. We had the same issues with the koalas on kangaroo island, and at least those things are fucking natives.

>hurr i love eating meat
>but don't kill the horses

The cost of humanely killing said horses - Practically nothing.

The cost of trapping/fixing/relocating/finding new homes - tens of millions

Meanwhile these people have no issues with cutting down all the forests.
>>
>>2114937
we have the same problem in the US.

an invasive species that destroys ecosystems and breeds to the point where they routinely starve to death, but god help you if you try to kill some.

my thoughts are go back to letting people take all they want for any reason. You want a pet horse? Go catch one. You need a working pony? It's free. Want to sell 20 tons of meat for dogfood and glue? We'll show you the way.

it's better than watching them starve to death or wander into traffic.
>>
honesty we should do this with all the feral wild animals
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.