[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what's wrong with my dog?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: nIdmVlg.jpg (18 KB, 202x360) Image search: [Google]
nIdmVlg.jpg
18 KB, 202x360
>inb4 take it to the vet
My vet is clueless and I don't know what to do. This is my one-year-old English lab, Mojo. He loves people, other dogs, and his orange football. He is my best friend. Four days ago, I applied Petarmor Plus flea and tick treatment for the first time ever. Since yesterday, he's had very little energy and little enthusiasm for food and water (though he still eats and drinks). Just this morning, he started having these seizure or tremor-like episodes lasting between 10 seconds and a minute each. He is alert and aware of his surroundings while they happen, but obviously a little freaked out too. I dropped him off at the vet this morning before work, but had to leave because I couldn't maintain my composure. I was letting my imagination run wild. Anything even remotely like a seizure is scary. To top it all off, the vet ran like $200 worth of tests and came up empty.
Here is the link to a video of this particular episode (I would have posted a gif or webm, but I don't really know how to make those):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9kWwjkBu3o

I don't know what else to do. I took it to the vet but they couldn't figure out what's wrong. Please help.
>>
>in b4 vet

Just like the doctors we see, they are often wrong or clueless. So you go see another one.
>>
>>2114859
>>2114862

Yeah, you should take him to a different vet.
>>
>>2114859
Another vet asap. Idk how you haven't taken him elsewhere. This is highly distressing, I don't blame you for leaving work. OP I wish you the best of luck.
>>
>>2114859
I'd wash that stuff off asap. Some dogs and cats react like this to products like PetArmor and Frontline.
>>
Another vet, OP! Comments here had their dogs have similar reactions.
https://hartzkills.wordpress.com/2012/01/04/shame-on-petarmo/

Sounds like the beginning of organ failure. Unfortunately most flea and tick stuff is literally poison. Had to rush my friend's cat to the vet only two hours after he used something from Hartz and another unrelated friendo lost their cat to a similar product.
>>
>>2114859

OP, vet student here.

My first thought is the MDR1 gene, but I believe Petarmor (if it's the exact one you posted) is fiprinol, not ivermectin based- so that rules that option out.

Whatever you do though, please stop playing Dr Google - it could be organ failure, it could be idiopathic epilepsy- heck, it could be anything. It might be to do with the flea/wormer, it might be incidental. Let your vet do the batch of tests and a full physical exam.

I know it's difficult not to stress, but you're doing the right thing- keep going to your current vet if you trust them to find something out, or find a new vet you do trust if you don't want to continue at your current clinic.

What tests have they run, just to be curious?
>>
>>2115166

>>2115361 here. Reading websites like this does absolutely no one any good, it just makes people panic. It's anecdotal stories often from owner's with very little education.

Fiprinol is typically extremely safe with wide margins. Yes, sometimes it does cause adverse reactions, but without a vet either looking at it or referring you onto a neurologist then you can't just pin it straight on the flea treatment.

What I would suggest though if your vet still can't come up with anything is ask to be passed onto a neurologist.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.