[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the pros and cons of owning an exotic animals
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: redkangaroos1.jpg (54 KB, 515x386) Image search: [Google]
redkangaroos1.jpg
54 KB, 515x386
What are the pros and cons of owning an exotic animals
>>
Depends on the animal, but most are destructive, aggressive, skittish, and/or not being potty trainable
>>
That is way too vague to answer. Plenty of exotics are totally fine pets. A lot of them are awful except for anyone with a ton of money who is very dedicated.

What species?
>>
>>2114854
I mean, what you said is vague, but in general:

Pros:
>animal looks cute or badass
>gain internet popularity if you post videos of them
>people think it's cool

Cons:
>aren't domesticated
>aren't as friendly or sociable as you would probably like
>usually high maintenance
>cost a lot of money
>destroy your property and smell really bad

Please take this with a grain of salt, I'm not an expert or anything, and I didn't comment with any particular animal in mind.
>>
One thing that seems to effect all exotics is that no matter how well you take care of yours, every time you post it on the Internet you're potentially convincing some stupid piece of shit to go get a fish bowl/choke collar/parakeet cage and an exotic of their own from some shady-ass breeder/"breeder" to be interested in for like a week before neglecting them to death, possibly even convincing additional retards to do the same.
>>
This is from the perspective of someone owning pythons for the past 12 years (green tree pythons and carpet pythons).
Pros
>I find them to be pretty relaxing.
>The internet community is pretty strong(especially with green tree pythons).
>There are challenges, getting humidity and airflow correct with GTPs was a pain in the ass, at least when I first started.
>I get to interact with my favorite genus of snakes constantly, their behavior is a lot of fun, even if someone of them are moody little assholes.
Cons
>its just expensive.
>people will automatically assume you're an edgelord for owning snakes, especially multiples.
>You will eventually get bitten, feeding response bites are mostly preventable, but they are incredibly unpleasant.
>you will never be able to find a qualified a knowledgeable reptile vet, they're basically unicorns.
>>
Pros: It looks neat

Cons: They're some combination of destructive, aggressive, dangerous, non-interactive, unhygenic/gross, or boring
Usually not able to train them
Constantly stressed out and die earlier than wild counterparts
Expensive
Need special care/housing/food/vets
Supports and encourages unethical and inhumane industries
>>
http://www.koryoswrites.com/nonfiction/three-ethical-considerations-for-exotic-pets/
>>
>>2114863
What about a gryzzly bear
>>
Assuming you're referring to actually exotic shit, not just hedgehogs or something:
Pros:
-your friends think you're cool
-girls will like you
-your friends think you're cool
-you can post it on social media for attention
-you can use that attention to fill the hole where your parents love should've been

Cons:
-you'll get rid of it when people stop thinking you're cool
-not actually a pet
-will probably hurt you
>>
File: IMG_6446e.jpg (836 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6446e.jpg
836 KB, 1200x900
>>2114899
I wouldn't compare pythons or most commonly kept reptiles to exotic mammals. They're low impact on your lifestyle. More like keeping fish with some husbandry particulars than an unruly, autistic dog thing. My reticulated python and 5 other snakes don't really make a huge impact on my day-to-day life. I can leave them alone for a weekend and nothing will have happened except maybe a shit. If I tell no one about them, they wouldn't even know.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.