[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Protecting the wild nature
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1
File: ivoryburn2-3-696x445.jpg (80 KB, 696x445) Image search: [Google]
ivoryburn2-3-696x445.jpg
80 KB, 696x445
millions burned of ivory to save the elephants, happy to share with you the latest from Kenya
http://plugnstay.com/millions-burned-to-save-elephants/
>>
How does the price drop when you reduce the available ivory?
>>
You are right at some point, but this shows the governments good will to protect the flora & fauna at all costs. Rest assure that it was made a good financial damage to those criminals trading the ivory.
>>
>>2113898
>You are right at some point, but this shows the governments good will to protect the flora & fauna at all costs. Rest assure that it was made a good financial damage to those criminals trading the ivory.
>>
>>2113898
Most of the people who buy ivory today are just ignorant tourists and third rate art collectors, all with a middle class background. The former can justify buying it by saying "B-but, the guy I bought it from said it was confiscated from a poacher, so I didn't support poaching", while the latter will say "They're antiquities, so the deed was done long ago and I'm not supporting it". There are just that many excuses that otherwise honest people can use for buying illegal or otherwise ethically questionable goods.

By categorically burning all ivory, the Kenyan gov't clearly sends the message that all ivory trade is illegal, no matter the specific circumstances. I'm confident that it's going to have a desired effect. I can understand why western liberals would oppose it, though.
>>
>>2113941

So they're reducing demand by sending a message?
>>
>>2113942
>m-muh supply and demand
Listen here, liberal. Less supply = more demand isn't some easy equation that you can apply arbitrarily to any situation(I bet you do the same to justify drug trade and prostitution, as well). Demand is usually determined by many factors, but in the case of the ivory, there is only one: pure fetishism. Ivory has no use value whatsoever.

Illegalising the ivory trade will serve to make it less accepted among the general public, and that's where most of the buyers are. As it is now, anyone can justify buying ivory using the excuses I mentioned above.
>>
>>2113942
if the chinese know the horns they paid for will probably get confiscated they'll just move to another species for penis medicines.
>>
>>2113947

Calm down crazy.
>>
>>2113948

Ok, thanks.
>>
>>2113895
MORE IMPORTANTLY...
>Why dont the wildlife conservationist keep and sell the ivory??
>Use literally every penny
>jew the fuck outta the ivory because its illegal n shit
>????
>Use EvERY proceed to help protect all current and future elephants
>>
>>2113959
because that creates a marked for it.

if the chinese know their order will get confiscated anyway they'll just drink snake wine for penis instead.
>>
Kitili Mbathi had a great speech at the event

"The only value of the ivory is tusks on a live elephant."
>>
I have an ivory chess set inherited from my grandfather. Fuck elephants and mammoth
>>
>>2114046
>and mammoth
Was your grandfather literally prehistoric?
>>
>>2114046
>inherited from my grandfather
>mammoth
#justclovisthings
>>
>>2113959
Other farm animals are fucking common as hell. I mean, just think about how plentiful pigs, chickens and cows are. Why don't they just start raising elephants for ivory? I bet we'd have insane amount of elephants in no time.
>>
>>2114310
I'm not sure, but since elephants, unlike the animals you listed, are not domesticated, I guess they don't breed well in captivity.
>>
>>2114310
Elephants are pregnant for almost two years and it takes them 10-14 years to mature enough to breed. Who the fuck has time for that shit
>>
>>2113959

Because that's missing the point.

These people are anti ivory AND anti hunting. So they are completely against selling the ivory because no one should have it.
>>
>>2114310

It would last 5 seconds.

White people would be all over that shit and get the farm closed down.
>>
>>2114330
goddamn supply side market failure. Deeds already done.
>>
>>2113895
That's a bit of a waste, couldn't they have just glued the horns back on the elephants?
>>
>>2113942
>>2113941
the objective is to raise costs of ivory trade

>>2113947
> Ivory has no use value whatsoever.
you're stupid
>>
Am I the only person suspicious of Kenyatta's motives? He's corrupt as fuck.
>>
Guys: I own some ivory items. I didn't buy them. They were owned by my great-grandfather. It's an ivory comb and an ivory handle on a soup ladle. Is there anywhere I can give them to, like a museum or something, that would use them for educational purposes?
>>
>>2114612
You can keep those since they're pre-ban
>>
>>2114618
I'd rather they go to educating people about the importance of conservation than just sitting in my display case.
>>
>>2114620
I'm not sure but I think museums will not take them unless you have documents to proof they're pre-ban ivories.
>>
>>2114623
I do, actually.
>>
>>2114094
You can find mammoth tusks in permafrost.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.