[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to get a basset hound eventually. Discuss bassets.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (142 KB, 486x457) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
142 KB, 486x457
I want to get a basset hound eventually. Discuss bassets.
>>
I'd advise against getting one if you live in an apartment. They bay constantly.
>>
>>2113494
>do you hunt?
>do you live in the country?

>If no then no
>>
>>2113516
Nah I have a house with a yard, and since there's a basset rescue in my area I can judge on personality too.
Do they bay less or more than bloodhounds? I know they do what's called grumping when they're upset, do bloodhounds do that too?
>>
I love dogs, but the only dog I've ever truly hated with ever fiber of my being was a basset. I could step outside for a minute, and twenty minutes later, that asshole would still be baying at me. There was nowhere in the house I could escape its noise. Anything would set it off into a twenty minute session. It was also super unfriendly and hated everyone. Thank goodness it died a few years ago. I've never said that for any animal before or since.

Hold off on getting one until you live in a rural area, so you don't have neighbors to keep up at night, unless you are 100% confident you can train it not to rooroo at everyone. Same goes for beagles, though they're not as bad, they're singers.
>>
>>2113494
I have a hound mix.

The hound comes across strong in his temperament: he is a barely trainable, stubborn, retarded ball of cute. A Bassett, like all hounds, is going to be a barely trainable, stubborn retard. They were bred to work independently of their people. You have to ask yourself if you are okay with that. Training him is going to be a difficult task.

Also, you will NEVER EVER EVER be able to go off leash with any kind of hound. Never. If you are expecting to have off-leash adventures with a dog, then a Bassett is the wrong choice. The second they see a squirrel or a bird, or the second they find a scent trail, they will go into their own world and will run off to their own whims.

I am not stopping you, but hounds are tough dogs. They come with challenges. Just be ready.
>>
>>2113691
Does a medium sized fenced in yard count as an adventure? No way am I letting it out free.
And I intend to adopt an adult dog, from a rescue. I know there's know way I could handle a hound puppy, plus the only dog breeders in my area are probably puppy mills.
>>
>>2113721
Yes, a solidly fenced yard is fine. Off leash in an enclosed space is fine. Just make sure there is no where he could weasel out. Because if he sees a chance to get out of the yard and follow this super interesting scent trail, he will take it.

And as I said, except a lot of challenge training a hound. Just because you are getting an adult doesn't change this, and you are deluding yourself if you are expecting to find a perfectly trained Bassett up for adoption. You'll be embarking on a hard path. Punishment does not work on most hounds... only positive reinforcement, usually food driven. It will take him a long time to learn anything, and once you are out and about, hounds are prone not to listen to you, so all the training will frequently seem worthless. They are highly independent, and generally not bright. Patience, patience, patience. They have been bred for decades to not give two fucks about you when they are out and about... you aren't going to change this no matter what you do.

Again, I don't want to discourage you. I just want you to know the reality that is living with a hound. If you want a dog you can perfectly train and go off leash with outside an enclosed space, then get a Golden.
>>
>>2113494
My folks have a beagle. He's a very friendly dog, and obeys about 60-75% of the time, but when he gets a thought, it's very hard to convince him to stop. He doesn't bark all that much, but when it starts up, he can go on for a very long time.
>>
>>2113727
Yeah, I know they won't be perfectly trained, but if I can make contact with a rescue foster I can find out the individual dog's issues and work with them from there as opposed to a puppy or a shelter stray where I could go in blind. I plan to speak to a pro trainer as well. This is still a ways off, though I'm worried about food training since bassets in particular can gain weight.
>>
Also, does anyone have any basset-specific issues/advice that other hounds might not have? I know they have trouble swimming since they're so dense.
>>
File: priorities.gif (1021 KB, 196x165) Image search: [Google]
priorities.gif
1021 KB, 196x165
>>2113494
don't go getting a dog just because of breed, nigga. these fucks are god's mistake and shelters are overflowing and systematically slaughtering perfectly fine mutts to create space. breed specific rescues baby the fuck out of the dogs they have because people will pay out the ass for them. There's a reason a lab mix costs 20 fucking dollars.

don't shop, adopt you basic bitch.
>>
>>2113741
the legs that prevent them from jumping and encourage multiple joint issues along with dangers of the spine as the fuckers are like dachshunds with overly-externally rotated feet.

adopt, faggot.
>>
>>2113761
I will, like I said there's a basset specific rescue in my area.
>>
>>2113759
>>2113761
These
Stop being a little kid, OP
>>
>>2113802
See >>2113800
>>
We have a dachshund that is a challange to train, its taking 4 months to house train her and we are getting a proffesional in for recal training but I dont hold much hope if she gets on a scent.
>>
>>2113804
>>2113800
but the comments about health do still apply

they are pretty unhealthy dogs
>>
>>2113759
>shelters are overflowing and systematically slaughtering perfectly fine mutts to create space.

I fucking hate this, but some of its on the pound. I have seen pounds asking
$400+spay/neuter for dogs before. They would literally rather kill the dog than give it to a good home. Fuck pounds, and fuck assholes who are over breeding dogs.
>>
File: pupperandbaby.webm (1 MB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
pupperandbaby.webm
1 MB, 400x400
>>2113800
and you're going to "rescue" a dog in infinitely better care and most likely already being fostered by dumbfucks who care about the breed INSTEAD of going to a shelter and adopting an objectively healthier dog who is at far greater risk of being put down.

don't be a dumbass, OP. Christ, with the medical care that you will most likely spend on the basset over its life you could adopt two mutts instead.
>>
>>2113494
They're one of the least intelligent dogs, barely even suitable for hunting. Hounds in general usually make the "top 10 dumbest dog breeds" list. Don't expect anything other than basic training from it. They're also physically deformed and unhealthy, especially the show variety. Look at their fucked up legs and wrinkles; they're basically a long bulldog. At least you'd be rescuing one, not supporting people who think it's OK to do that to a dog.
>>
>>2113741
Keep them away from large staircases.

When I was a kid I had a pet basset hound and loved her. She was pretty loud if people came to our house or if she wanted to go inside, and would definitely run off on her own without a leash. Besides that she was very friendly with kids and other pets.

My dog was also the runt of the litter so she had smaller ears than normal bassets, which was kind of nice because she didn't have issues with dragging them or getting stuff stuck inside.
>>
Get a bloodhound instead.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.