[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What should I put in my Exo Terra Mini-Tall?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 10
I was at a reptile show yesterday and was shopping around with a friend who bought a cool tiny tortoise. While we were leaving at the end of the show there was a vendor trying to offload a bunch of terrariums cheap. Got an exo terra mini-tall for 40 bucks, but I'm not sure what to put in it. I have between 2-4 months to set the terrarium up before getting the animal, but I'm not sure what to get. I'm quite partial to lizards, and am not particularly interested in any insects. Would a crested/banded/day do well in something so small? Or is there something else cool to put in the tank?

tl;dr
Got a cheap ass exo terra, what do I put in it?
>>
>>2113342
No vertebrate would be comfortable in that indefinitely. Its really more for Arthropods. I guess one anole or a baby chameleon would get by but i suggest you use it for a mantis, arachnid or other buggo. My amblypygid has same habitat
>>
>>2113359
Damn, the wife would kill me if I kept a bug. I was hoping some small species of arboreal gecko could live there. Maybe I'll just have to try to sell it and pick something up bigger.
>>
Protip: get a baby anything and get your girl to like it, then get a new tank on craigslist when hes noticeably bigger
>>
>>2113382
Then sell small one on craigslist, or get a new baby something and rinse and repeat. Another pro tip: owning things in tanks is addictive
>>
File: Eurydactylodes_Vieillardi .jpg (352 KB, 1280x856) Image search: [Google]
Eurydactylodes_Vieillardi .jpg
352 KB, 1280x856
>>2113362

12x12x18 right?

There actually is an arboreal species of gecko you can keep as an adult in a tank this size. Eurydactylodes Vieillardi and E. Agricolae. They are native to New Caledonia, same area as crested geckos are from. Adult size about 3.5" nose to tail.

The trouble is only a handful of people breed them and they are expensive. Mark Orfus (Northern Gecko) in Canada sometimes has them available, usually $200 each. So yeah. It'd be cheaper overall to sell this tank and get a larger one. Good size for crested geckos is 18x18x18 (one gecko) or 18x18x24 (two females). However, your current tank is actually a good size for baby and juvenile crested geckos. They would just outgrow it in about 1.5 years.
>>
>>2113484
>12x12x18 right?
Yus,

Those geckos seem neat, and I'm not opposed to dropping 100-300 on a lizard, so I appreciate the suggestion!

I think I might see if I can't find someone on CL who might do a trade+some cash for something bigger.
>>
File: IMG_8392e.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8392e.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1200
A banded gecko or two would do alright in one if it's the 12x12. They don't really roam and tend to hide under one spot. The vertical space would be wasted though. You could use Excavator clay to mold a 40-60 degree slope up to the background. Make pre-formed hideouts at several spots and embed rocks or bark in there. That way you'd have a lot more usable surface area. Could keep a few females with a male like that easily.

You could also keep a baby green tree python in there for a few months with a couple dowels fixed between glass panes, but you'd would have to go up in size eventually. They won't need a massive cage in the end though.
>>
>>2113657
http://www.backwaterreptiles.com/geckos/ashy-gecko-for-sale.html

http://www.backwaterreptiles.com/geckos/yellow-head-gecko-for-sale.html

Maybe these 2 would fit anon?
>>
File: 08262010.jpg (148 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
08262010.jpg
148 KB, 800x600
>>2113658
To give you an idea. It's easy to work with when wet and dries hard packed. I might actually try this shit out now that I think of it to get my babby banded out of her unaesthetic sterilite shoebox.

>>2113660
Oh man, don't order from backwater. I've never heard anything good about them.
>>
>>2113661
I just suggested it too him because I googled geckos for sale and found 2 that looked small, I don't recommend buying from them either, just a suggestion of species.

Nice tank pick btw
>>
>>2113342
maybe try some dendrobates if you like frogs? what's the measurements of this terrarium?
>>
File: dsc00009rwkw.jpg (148 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
dsc00009rwkw.jpg
148 KB, 1024x768
Geosesarma
>>
>>2113675
12x12x18 in inches
>>
>>2113699
if you wanna think about dendrobates, you could try http://www.dendrobates.org/imitator.html

if you scape it right and make use of the space you could keep 1 male 2 females.
>>
>>2113688
The fuck is wrong with your lard ass hand?
>>
>>2113794
Nothing, I was 15 when I took this pic
>>
Asked around and someone mentioned Mourning Geckos. Thoughts?
>>
There are plenty of cute frogs you could get
>>
P.metallica

You wont regret it.
>>
>>2113891
Mourning geckos would be fine in that tank. I only have one atm, but she's in the same size tank and has been doing fine for 18 months. I'd think you could keep 3 easily in that size tank.
>>
>>2113891
>>2113914

Yeah, those would do nicely in that tank. Mourning geckos are not difficult to get either. Cheap too.
>>
File: mourning_gecko.jpg (94 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
mourning_gecko.jpg
94 KB, 500x375
One thing to be aware of with mourning geckos, they are parthenogenic. All* members of the species are female, they do not mate, and all will produce fertile eggs. It's pretty neat but, unless you want a whole hoard of mourning geckos, you have to be on top of finding those eggs and freezing them as soon as possible.

* male mourning geckos do exist, apparently, but they are very rare. i've never seen one in person.
>>
plot twist

I was given a 55 gal. tank from me dad.

Now I have a second tank to fill.

Wife is adamant on no snakes or bugs, so its gotta be a lizard of sorts. Already have a beardie and leopard gecko.

Suggestions- go!
>>
>>2114170
Planted tank with dart frog colony.
>>
File: Uromastyx_nigriventris.jpg (64 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
Uromastyx_nigriventris.jpg
64 KB, 600x400
>>2114170

Uromastyx! Secretly best lizard. Shhhh!
>>
>>2113342
Get a crested gecko. No lights needed. Easy to take care of
>>
File: uromastyx_by_watever44.jpg (100 KB, 1024x772) Image search: [Google]
uromastyx_by_watever44.jpg
100 KB, 1024x772
Mmmmm uromastyx
>>
>>2114170
>Wife is adamant on no snakes or bugs

Tell her to stop being a pussy. You want a little puss-puss for a wife?
>>
>>2114264
I can say that her puss-puss is divine, and I'll listen to her.

That said, I have to agree about the bug thing, I'm not to fond of them. Snakes my friends have are generally boring unless you're feeding them.
>>
>>2114213
>>2114218
What makes them so great? The look like turtle faced lizards with spikey tails.
>>
File: 1460794560684.gif (567 KB, 300x456) Image search: [Google]
1460794560684.gif
567 KB, 300x456
>>2114351
They've got a certain special gland.
>>
>>2114351

personality. they are more goofy and playful than a lot of other lizards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqml9GnFc14
>>
>>2114526
Thats pretty cool, and looking online there's red ones, and I fukin love red animals
>>
File: Red_Saharan_Uro.jpg (525 KB, 3008x2000) Image search: [Google]
Red_Saharan_Uro.jpg
525 KB, 3008x2000
>>2114590

yep, some of the species have pretty beautiful colour and patterns. just watch out for people playing fast and loose with the saturation slider in photoshop on those pictures.
>>
>>2113795
I imagine it looks much worse now.
>>
>>2114687
>dat look of I'd rather be eating bird seed right now...
>>
bamp
>>
So, its looking like I'm either getting a couple of Mourning Geckos or Neon Day Gecko(s?)

Opinions?
>>
Small dog
>>
>>2116174
mossy tree frogs!
>>
>>2116174
Mourning geckos and sell the babies
>>
PDF's
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.