[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Axolatol thread! My big boy Alex
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Axolatol thread! My big boy Alex
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
And my lil girl Alexis. (Ps she isn't eating the pellets, anything else I should try?)
>>
File: ax.jpg (1 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
ax.jpg
1 MB, 4160x2340
I call her Rupa or Miss Rupa.

>>2112224
Crickets, waxworms, ghost shrimp, ramshorn snails, nightcrawlers, canned river shrimp....
>>
>>2112228
Thanks anon. Do you know anything about sexing or breeding?
>>
>>2112224
Axolitls also love frozen bloodworms
>>
>>2112243
I don't know a whole lot. Males are supposed to have a cloacal bulge at the base of the tail starting at adolescence.
As for breeding, afaik it's just a matter of putting two together until they woohoo, then separating the eggs.
Raising the babies is the hardest part. You'll need Artemia napulii (baby brine shrimp) or some other tiny live food for them, since they hunt with sight and not smell.

>>2112251
I always figured it would make a huge mess unless the axie was really small and you hand fed them.
>>
>>2112253
They come in little frozen cubes and mine eat them in one bite. I usually split one of the cubes in half for the smaller ones. No mess at all.
>>
>>2112251
More suited to young axies. and better as a spare food for when you can't get fresh. I used to always keep some in my freezer in case but I got sick of digging for worms. now I just order them online.
>>2112263
didn't realise you could give them frozen though

OP just start a wormery. its simple enought
>>
Aren't these guys extinct in the wild?
>>
>>2112221
They are good eating here
>>
>>2112263
I dislike the idea of giving it to them still frozen, but I'm a worrywart. I've read some say that the frozen cubes can upset their stomach or mess up their digestion.
>>
>>2112456
Yes, Mexico pretty much screwed them over and over again until there weren't any left in the lakes. They're all over the place in captivity, though. It's not like the species is in danger or anything.
>>
>>2112501
Yeah I have had them for years and I have fed them frozen blood worms and haven't had any issues. One thing I would say too, from what I read most Axolotls will consume most anything in their tank, I always have used sand and was told that having rocks/pebbles is harmful because they will eat them and get sick. I have never seen it happen and I recommend doing your own research.. just what I have read/heard.
>>
File: 6wwGq9J.jpg (61 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
6wwGq9J.jpg
61 KB, 960x540
fun fact: Axolotls have crazy regenerative capabilities. they are able to restore limbs, organs and even parts of their brain and heart!
>>
>>2112563
I'm >>2112228, not OP. I've always used pool filter sand because I've heard the same thing. I could see her swallowing gravel, since she regularly snaps at plant leaves thinking they're food.
>>
>>2112582
Shame chimerism can't be bred for, those are neat.
>>
>>2112221

How does one go about getting an axolotl? Online sellers? Any recommendations if so?
>>
>>2113987
private breeders, some pet stores, expos, online. they are pretty common
>>
Are they extinct in the wild yet? I heard last time researchers did an expedition in that lake they didn't find any.
>>
File: ambyst10.jpg (98 KB, 780x530) Image search: [Google]
ambyst10.jpg
98 KB, 780x530
>not unlocking your axolotl's true potential
>>
>>2114033
THIS IS TO GO EVEN FURTHER BEYOND
>>
>>2114030
Yes. See >>2112503
IUCN hasn't updated the red list yet.

>>2114033
That isn't good for them. Also, it's fucking ugly.
>>
File: 20160415_131844-768x1365.jpg (175 KB, 768x1365) Image search: [Google]
20160415_131844-768x1365.jpg
175 KB, 768x1365
>>2112221
Leopold
>>
>>2114033
I'd show you a picture of my third stage axolotl but he hasn't allowed himself to be photographed since he ascended.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.