[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are podenco's such stunning dogs, and why are they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
File: Podenco-Ibicenco.jpg (87 KB, 800x594) Image search: [Google]
Podenco-Ibicenco.jpg
87 KB, 800x594
Why are podenco's such stunning dogs, and why are they so over looked and mistreated. Why dose Spain do nothing about the thousands of dogs abandoned and killed at the end of the hunting season every year, and why would no one want such a wonderful dog as a pet. I would love to rescue one some day, but I'm nowhare near being able to support a dog at the moment. Discuss, post pics of pods and galgos.

Pod and galgo info
http://www.galgopodencosupport.org/galgos-podencos/
>>
i had one.
most wonderful dog I ever knew.
incredibly kind, affectionate and even protective. also awesome watchdog.

she was smooth like a cat indoor but I admit she was quite a handful outdoor. she had a massive hateboner for cats and I don't want to know what would have happened to all those cats if she wasn't on a leash. she barked the living piss out of those feline faggots.

I really fucking miss her.. a dog's life is way too fucking short, fucking hell.
>>
The skull and neck are cool, but then things get weird

Mr. Fantastic/10, would not own
>>
>>2111828
What sort of level of doggy experience do you need to own one, are they suitable for a first time owner, or would it be better to have owned some sort of sighthound beforehand? Also what sort of requirements do they need? They seem like such sweet and sensitive animals, and it breaks my heart to see how they're treated with such disregard. I'd absolutely adore the chance to rescue one, though my second choice would probably be a retired greyhound.
>>
>>2111769
>abandoned and killed at the end of the hunting season every year

what the fuck? Spanish confirmed for subhuman filth
>>
File: pod2.jpg (66 KB, 590x440) Image search: [Google]
pod2.jpg
66 KB, 590x440
>>2111863
Its fucking awful. They litterally see them as nothing more then disposable tools, to be used for a season and tossed. They're bred indescriminately, sold for fuck all to "hunters" to be used for the brief recreational hunting season, and just chucked at the side of the road or killed when its over. Their "owners" litterally don't see it as worth feeding them untill the next year, when its cheaper to just buy more. They're kept in utter filth, cramped together and kept on the verge of starvation "to ensure they hunt better". Galgos or spanish greyhounds get the same treatment as well. It boggles my mind why the Spanish authorities seem to care nothing about the rampant issue with strays and corpses littering forests, streets and just being dumped in bins. If nothing else, strays and rotting corpses everywhere should be considered a hazard. Plus its just not a good look to the rest of the world y'know?

Also as hunting dogs, they aren't considered pet worthy. So the ones that do get rescued have to be exported to rescues outside the country. Blows my mind too.
>>
>>2111861
>sweet and sensitive animals
they are.
mine and the ones I met were incredibly kind and almost shy.
also, up close they also seem almost fragile.
mine wasn't fat but she looked healthy. I saw a ton of those with the ribs poking out really REALLY badly and mine looked a lot like in the OP. I hate it when purists insist on keeping those dogs borderline starved. again, mine wasn't fat and looked almost like the OP one but for some even this was "overweight". fucking idiots.

I was in my early teens when our family got her and me and my sisters kept taking care of her and my mother when we were not at home.
those dogs are supposed to get LOTS, FUCKING LOTS of walkies. they're sporty dogs, and incredibly fast.
you shouldn't get one if you live in the city or don't have enough time for extended walks with this dog. usually they don't get problems or something if you keep your walkies short but it COULD become a problem in the long run and it's just not right for this kind of dogs. they just need lots of room to run around and/or other sporty activities.
would be ideal if you enjoyed running or jogging. that dog would definitely help you staying fit.

like I said before, they're really calm and INCREDIBLY meek indoors. really silent, too. this can change quickly if someone tries to break into your home or if there are strange noises around the house at midnight.
they look sleek but they have really deep and POWERFUL voices. mine sounded like a scary beast mode dog, triple of her size.

i'd say you're ok with one if you know basic stuff about dogs, have lots of walkies in a week (at least 2.. better 3 a day) and you know how to train a dog basic behavior (again, they're calm and kind creatures but they're hunting dogs which means smaller animals like cats might make them pull on the leash, bark and get interested.. not sure what she was about to do with them but I didn't let it happen in the first place. I think she ate a wild mouse once.
>>
>>2112427
forgot to add, they LOVE comfy places to sleep. like soft cushions, sofas, chairs, etc.
mine almost always asked me to tuck her in the cover I had in her dog basket (after the last walk, evening/night time). after I did that, she usually made a relieved sigh and fell asleep. she was really beautiful and I miss her so damn much.
>>
File: go_sleep.gif (2 MB, 315x248) Image search: [Google]
go_sleep.gif
2 MB, 315x248
>>
I'm from Spain and I adopted an abandoned Pointer. Probably was not good enough for hunting.

I'ts the best dog ever. I love she soooo much.
>>
File: u_srs_34.jpg (15 KB, 262x234) Image search: [Google]
u_srs_34.jpg
15 KB, 262x234
>>
>>2112108
You can adopt them in Spain too, but not if they know you are a hunter, they'll do an extensive research about you before giving you a podenco or a galgo.
I wanted to adopt one, but in the end we ended up getting a faggy miniature pinscher.
>>
File: 34535.png (317 KB, 488x297) Image search: [Google]
34535.png
317 KB, 488x297
I know in dogshow pictures they keep dogs head up by leash, but sheesh.
>>
looks like a spaghetti pharaoh hound JRT
>>
>>2112108
I heard, in South-Europe there is tradition, where hunters hang their hunting dogs after hunting seasons.
>>
>>2112427
>that feel when you're poor and hous won't allow pets
She sounds like a wonderful dog anon, forgot to say earlier but I'm sorry she's no longer with you. Am a pretty outdoorsy person, and would love a dog to keep me company on walks, hikes, bike rides and nature trails and stuff. Hopefully in the future I'll still have enough time to do lots of fun outdoorsy things, I'd love to have a hiking buddy that will just curl up and chill when we get home. From the sounds of it though, it wouldn't be fair to them if you ended up with a nine to five job in a small flat for example.

>>2113833
Yikes... Didn't notice that when I posted, but is that fishing line??
>>
It's a show lead, it's thin but it doesn't hurt the dog because they have to be kept loose or else they'd snap. If the dog pulled even slightly it would snap.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.