[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will dog defend their owners without training?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6
File: guarding-the-house-and-his-toy.jpg (2 MB, 3072x2304) Image search: [Google]
guarding-the-house-and-his-toy.jpg
2 MB, 3072x2304
Will dog defend their owners without training?
>>
Probably not if they're as fat as that one
>>
>>2111447
What if it has been fed human flesh and has gotten a taste for it?
>>
>>2111449
Then it's gonna kill you for food The day you forget to feed it's fat ass
>>
It just really depends on the dog. Most will usually get involved if your clearly being hurt but it's just kind of a craps shoot. They probably make better alarms then they do defenders unless you train them for that.

When I was living with my sister she had this pit bull/boxer mix. The sweetest dog ever. She is also a bit of a chickenshit. Still, once I had to do and overnight at work and I didn't want to wake my sister. I was sneaking into the laundry room when the dog heard me and peeked out of the room. When she saw someone sneaking around she let out the most terrifying dangerous growl I've ever heard. I flicked the light on and once she saw that it was me she got all waggy and came over for pets. No one ever trained her to do that. Dogs are just smart and know when someone is acting suspicious. They are way more fluent in body language then we think.

Anyway you probably don't want to train your pet to be a bodyguard. It's dangerous work. Your turning your dog into a weapon. It probably won't be social to anyone but you. If you want a pet, don't train it for bodyguard duty. Someone hugging you in front of the dog could set it off.
>>
>>2111496
Alright. I guess a loud bellowing bark could work wonders as well.
>>
>>2111514

There is that one story where a pug saved a prince.
>>
My dog growls, circles, and tries to get in between my husband and I when we play wrestle but if we keep going or turn to him, he will ultimately back off. So he would probably try to intimidate for me but would run off if it came to actually doing something
>>
>>2111445
I think it depends on their relationship and sometimes the breed of the dog. Most dogs I've interacted with are pretty territorial to their owners until they see you as not a threat, like >>2111496 exemplifies. They are also pretty good at picking out dangerous people due to subtle and not so subtle tips.
>>
>>2111445
my dog is only poty trained and knows some tricks but nothing big. he's loyal and stays by my bed when sick, comes to me when I cry and puts his paw there. he growls to suspicious people and bites them when they try to harm me so yes I would say yes.
when people say that dogs are loyal it's for a reason. Cats will never be up to par, they will just run away if there's danger because they are not domesticated and have no souls

anyway dogs are great and cats are bad pets if you want a loyal animal, even birds are better than cats
>>
>>2111878
You must have had a shitty relationship with your cats if you ever had any. All three of the cat's I've owned have tried to protect me when they thought danger was happening. The last two it was just little stuff like they didn't like it when people would jump on me to play wrestle, but one of my cats actually protected me from an abuse family member.

I got woken up to him screaming and breaking shit in the house, my dog was on the bed, my cat on the floor just chilling. The dog knew something was up before the cat did, but that's because the cat was used to the loud noises.

However, when he walked down the hall and into my room, that cat immediately hopped up on my bed and put his whole body over my shoulders and started growling. Dog was growling too, but the cat especially.

If it weren't for my dog and cat I might have gotten the shit beaten out of me that night.

Not every animal is like that obviously, but if you put the time into an animal and treat them with a little more respect that a you would a teddy bear that just sits on the night stand, they will return it when the times right.
>>
My untrained collie protected me from a pickpocket. He somehow figured out that the pickpocket had a hand in my pocket, positioned himself between me and the thief, and started shoving the thief to the side.
>>
My akita attacked a nigger who jumped me in my drive way when I was a teenager. Jumped out the window when she saw him come up behind me from around the building and hit me in the back of the head.
>>
>>2111445

Depends on the dog.

My current dog has barked, and growled, and thrown himself in front of me when I've been walking him and drunks/druggies start a fuss with us. But I've had him since a pup too and we are very close in bond.

But, I was also jumped and robbed by a bunch of druggies (I've moved from that town since, god it was awful) and my previous dog did nothing. He ran off a few feet and watched the whole thing, and just barked loudly at them. This dog was a shelter mutt, and I had only had him a year at this point.
>>
>>2111445
I adopted this big boy from the shelter, 50$ and almost 140 pounds (so like 3 pounds on the dollar) and I noticed his demeanor in the cage was calm and collected but aware.

He became the greatest mutt I ever owned even if it was only for 6 months before he passed.

The boy was wary of strangers but would immediately relax when he saw the family positively reacting to the new people.

Killed every possum to ever come into my backyard too.

Signs in personality will play a much safer role in having a defensive dog.

I had a pit/english bulldog mix who looked like she would fuck your shit up and she was so retarded she would just ask the intruder for belly rubs.
>>
>>2111445
mine will.
>>
>>2111445

Depends on so, so, so, so, so many different things.

But if I were a burglar, I would say there's a 5% chance a dog would do more than bark. If I attacked their owner? 15% chance.

The breeds that have guardianship in their blood, like herd guardian dogs, are so incredibly rare as household pets.

I have two great pyrenees. Please break in my house.
>>
Depends on the dog, or the breed.
>wife babysitting young baby
>been doing so about two months
>baby's brother shows up for first time, never been to my house before
>reaches down to pick up baby
>had I not been there, my dog would have bit him
>>
I have several Alaskan Malamutes and one half malamute half akita. Although Malamutes have traditionally been used to guard teepees and children, it's been against animals, not other humans. They love people way too much. One of them really hates black people and fat people for some reason though.

The half breed on the other hand is generally the sweetest dog you'll ever know but has defended me on multiple occasions. She's very good at spotting suspicious body language and looks terrifying when baring her teeth. It's been useful and I don't mind at all that she bit a mugger in the shin so bad I had to call an ambulance on him.
>>
Had a pitbull/chocolate lab mutt that would growl at family members getting close to my sister if she couldn't make them out.
>>
>>2111445
Yes, at least mine did it ehen I was a child and my mom wanted to hit me
>>
File: Snapchat-7289366048600650444.jpg (614 KB, 1440x2392) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-7289366048600650444.jpg
614 KB, 1440x2392
These guys will growl and bark fiercely at any people or dogs they can see through the windows, even at the dark on their night walks. They are the biggest softies, Amos is almost shy.
>>
Related
>uncle has the sweetest Great Dane
>it was raised with me, born when I was 1 year old, we played everyday

>I was 6, dog was 5 and huge as fuck
>He was chilling on the porch, I was running around the yard and playing with my nanny for the weekend which was an small old lady
>We were playing tag, I was it, so the nanny started chasing me
>I started laughing and screaming real loud to pretend I was scared of her
>Dane out of nowhere
>he fucking jumps like a feline on top of the nanny, paws first
>pins nanny to the ground while staring into her eyes, not letting out a single noise or movement
>I had to push him off her
>nanny pissed herself

It's a pity I don't remember the scene itself, the nanny told me about it years after. But yeah, some dogs might not go straight for biting/attacking but they absolutely can and do know to react if that's in their personality.
>>
>>2114870
>some dogs might not go straight for biting/attacking

Most dogs. Dogs will warn you 99% of the time with a growl, bark, or even a snap if it escalates. It's your job to listen to them. The are trying to tell you that what you are doing is not cool. It's the people that don't listen that get themselves in trouble ... the exception here is dogs that are unusually aggressive for whatever reason. But if they're just guarding? Yeah, you will get a warning. Respect it and don't take it as a challenge to your ego.

Most guardian dogs are not even good fighters. They completely suck balls at it (such as the great pyrenees mentioned above). They were trained to warn predators and scare them off, not fight. In the wild, fights are avoided at all cost because a single stray claw could mean imminent death by not being able to move correctly.
>>
>>2111445
Our golden defends me and our house, but we never trained him to do it, and he has a very kind, typical golden temperament otherwise. He actually attacked a burglar once - my family spoiled him for months after that incident.
>>
>>2115034

That was a retarded burglar. All the ones with any sense avoid houses with dogs. Not because they're scared, but because it's just more trouble than it's worth (unless there is something in there that they are specifically targeting, and where it is). For most homes, a dog with a deep, rich bark is all you need, and lots of total sweety breeds have them.

Good puppy, though.
>>
>>2111445
They can. So can cats.
>>
>>2111878
>Arbitrarily decides to bash an animal he has no experience owning

dogfags
>>
>>2115214
>>2115240
same fucking fag
>>
>>2115251
Nope
>>
>>2113958
>teepees

I thought it would be igloos
>>
File: JesusHalo.jpg (36 KB, 300x448) Image search: [Google]
JesusHalo.jpg
36 KB, 300x448
>People using animals for protection against the most deadly game.
C'mon guys, it's anno Domini bis millesimo sedecim.
>>
My Rottweiler (untrained) has attempted to attack several people on the command "Get them!" or when someone is messing with me and I make fake scream. Luckily, he's never actually gotten anyone or he'd be gone.
>>
>>2116423
>get them
I've noticed this with my brother's dog as well. I think it's probably more about the way it is said than the words themselves. Just seems like they understand what it means.
>>
>>2116216
Not all humans count as the most dangerous game when you see folk getting chased off by fucking geese.
>>
>>2116447

One of the parts of the professional dog training I did, is to go a few weeks without saying a word to the dog. Issuing all commands with body language and facial expression.

I think this is more for the human's benefit, to teach them how little words actually mean to a dog. My dog didn't mess a step at all. I imagine that was partly because she'd already been trained with the gestures alongside the words from the time we first got her. This training was 5 months later. But point remains - it works.
>>
File: 20160320_113002.jpg (799 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20160320_113002.jpg
799 KB, 2048x1152
>>2116451
>Not protecting yourself against ALL bipedal predators with your constitutionally assured rights.
>>
my jack russell does this on his own, if anyone even seems threatening towards me he gets like that
>>
Unless I train my corgi to herd the intruder out, I'm out of luck/
>>
>>2116603
ear piercing barks though
>>
>>2111445
Most smarter dogs will. Since they are pack creatures, they'll try and defend their friends, be it owner or other dog. A dog of mine, never really acted aggressively ( the term wouldn't hurt a fly wouldn't fit here, he despises flies) showed that one night, as my dad told me. One time my father went out to help my older brother move into a house, and came back late at night. He went into his and my mom's room to get some sleep. He was quiet, as to not wake anyone so when he creaked open the door and entered. He was greeted by the dog over my mom, teeth showing and almost glowing in the dark room. Before the dog nailed him he flicked on the light and he calmed down. Never trained him to do that.
>>
>>2116423
The words "Go" and "Get them" cause my dog to go into an insane bout of barking and excitement.
>>
File: 1419915345414.png (269 KB, 414x480) Image search: [Google]
1419915345414.png
269 KB, 414x480
>>2111674
>my husband

is gay marriage legal where your from?
>>
>>2111445

Some will, most won't.

Most will bark and cower.
>>
My parents sometimes play wrestle and my golden ALWAYS defends my mom even if she has the upper hand. He'll go in a bow position and bark and then starts tugging at my dad's pant leg and growls.

He's kind of a wimp though. If we're walking down a dark street and there's a figure coming, he will growl while hiding between my legs. Not the most protective dog
>>
>>2111445
Yeah. My sister has a 6 month old yorkie that will defend ME from her.
>>
People in general need to understand that a dog is probably not going to guard you or your stuff. Don't get a specific breed because it can supposedly fight better or makes a better guard. Without professional training, it's not doing shit. And you really, really don't want to train a dog to be a guard dog. It will make them 5x harder to care for because you can't just treat them like a family pet or the training will wear off (or worse, the dog doesn't remember the details of the training and attacks someone without a proper cue.

The best you can do is get a breed that was bred to guard livestock, and hope they'll get your back if it ever comes to it.

It has nothing to do with intelligence or even inherited temperament, and everything to do with how bonded they are to you. Hence the training. They can be the best trained guard dogs out there, but they aren't going to come to the aid of someone they don't care to please. This is why K-9 units are trained together in the later stages. They don't just hand out dogs to random cops that the dog doesn't know.
>>
People often confuse Dominance and Defense, or feel like you can’t have one without the other. This is a very common mistake even among experienced dog trainers. The reason this is so common is because in many breeds it’s generally true. In German Shepherds, Rottweilers, American Bulldogs, and similar breeds it’s especially true. These breeds, like most dogs, have lost their ability to tell who’s in their pack and who isn’t. Most dogs are like this that’s why most dogs feel like everyone they meet is family. In a wolf pack the pack is their family, their reactions are very different to creatures outside their pack.

Between pack members there are social interactions. These include play, cooperative hunting, grooming, submission and dominance, etc. The whole point of dominance and submission is to stop pack members from killing each other, it would be very bad for the pack otherwise. If a conflict arises inside the pack and a fight breaks out, it’s settled when one animal submits to the other and gives up – usually by rolling on their backs to show vulnerability, which is a clear demonstration that they aren’t trying to fight. A very submissive wolf won’t try to fight in this scenario. Two Pack member wolves fighting because of an argument aren’t usually trying to kill each other just to settle things. This is the kind of fighting dogs and wolves do for dominance. Teenage boys do the same thing in school yards around the world, fighting over a certain chair at the lunch table, the right of way down the hall, a certain girl, etc. No one’s trying to kill anyone, they’re just trying to see who’s going to give up first, and who going to claim the status of the biggest and the baddest.
>>
>>2117067

If the pack is threatened by a mountain lion, for example, they recognize that this isn’t a pack member, and react with defense. Defense is purely the fight or flight response. If they have to fight they aren’t fighting for dominance, they’re fighting for survival. Fight or flight is the out of pack equivalent of dominance or submission. In a fight like that if they feel like they’re losing they won’t roll over and submit because that would mean quick death; instead they run. There is no submission in defense, they fight to the death or run for their lives. The whole pack fights from the most dominant to the most submissive. Social status isn’t a consideration in a fight for survival. This is also why wolves maintain clear borders to their territories. Two separate wolf packs will kill each other if they encounter each other, they don’t seek dominance. This is like a man fighting an alligator, he’s not looking to settle a dispute he’s looking to survive and kill if that’s what it takes.

Most dogs have what is basically a mental disorder to see every person or dog they meet as their pack members. This is great for hunting dogs and pets because they can easily accept new dogs and people without conflict. The problem is that some guard breeds have this as well so in order for them to be aggressive with strangers they have to use social aggression – dominance. A dominant guard dog isn’t seeking to eliminate a threat to itself and it’s pack, it’s looking to be sure they understand his high social status. This is why you’ll often see dominant breeds humping the decoy and doing other dominant posturing. It’s also the reason a dog who’s fighting in dominance can “cur” which happens when they feel like the opponent is too hard to dominate, so they submit.
>>
>>2117070

Some breeds, mostly primitive breeds like Mastiffs, still understand the difference between pack members and non pack members. Mastiffs are known for having high suspicion and strong defensive reactions to strangers, combined with very gentile and extremely loyal natures to their families. Having this very clear understanding that the people they live with are their pack and no one else is, gives them the ability to be very submissive, and still fight to protect themselves and their packs. They’re expecting everyone to fight the threat off not just the alpha. That’s what makes them such great family guardians, they can submit to everyone in their family and rage against a dangerous outsider.

I’ve had people ask “without dominance how will your dog react to a dominant opponent?”. My thinking is if the person is dominant and not threatening then I don’t what my dog killing someone for standing confidently. If the person is a threat from outside the pack my kind of dog won’t care if they are postured dominantly any more than a wolf pack would care if the mountain lion had his tail up. They’re in fight or flight they aren’t looking for social cues.

So as long as the dog has good pack instincts and strong defense drive he can be both very submissive and very protective. Everyone fights to protect the pack, only the alphas fight to run it.
>>
>>2117073

This is important because in a family situation you don’t want a dog who has the same basic reactions to a “bad guy” and his family, a dominant rank aggressive dog who’s willing to fight a grown man for rank will not be afraid to fight a toddler for rank. A military or police dog who’s kept in a kennel until time to work and only worked by a strong alpha type man isn’t a problem. When one is brought into a home and allowed to freely interact with children, who will inevitably hug the dog, pat him too hard, take his bone, jump on his back, or decide to hit him with a stick, the risk of fatal danger becomes unacceptable. Even if I didn’t have children, I personally don’t want to have to always butt heads with my dog for the right to run my household. A guard dog should add safety to his family not risk.
>>
>>2117075
Raising a working mastiff to their fullest potential is a special job that requires more than raising the average dog. If your working mastiff has the typical mentality, you should see the following traits:

1. High defense drive
2. High pack drive
3. Moderate prey drive
4. High handler sensitivity
5. Low rank drive

1. You will know defense drive in a pup because you you will see threat recognition followed by defensive behavior. This can include anything from barking, growling, biting, and raised fur, to running and hiding. What behaviors you see depend on the dog’s perception of its ability to handle the threat. The goal of defense drive is to get out of a threatening situation, which triggers a “fight or flight” response. If a dog feels like it can handle a threat it is more likely to engage in ‘fight’, and if a threat seems overwhelming a dog is likely to flee. A dog engaging in the ‘flight’ aspect is trying to remove itself from the threat’s awareness. The goal of ‘fight’ mode is to produce avoidance behavior in the threat, causing it to run away. That’s why dogs in aggressive defense tighten their chest muscles, raise the fur on the back of their necks, bark big loud deep barks, bare their teeth, or anything to look bigger or more powerful. The more confident a dog is the more powerful a threat has to be to make the dog flee rather than fight. It should also be noted that the way a dog is trained and its early experiences can have a tremendous impact on a dog’s confidence and you can’t make an accurate judgment on a dog’s confidence as a pup. Some pups are more confident than others but their confidence as pup doesn’t necessarily reflect their confidence as an adult.
>>
>>2117076High pack drive is easy to recognize because you will not be able to get away from the dog. They will have a strong desire to be close to their pack and to keep their pack in a single group. This is useful because they will not wander like some dogs and will be happiest with their family, right where a guard dog can do the most good with the people he’s guarding.

3. Prey drive is the drive to chase and kill prey. Prey drive is easy to test. A dog with high prey drive will chase anything that looks like it’s running from them. Prey drive may also include barking and biting, but you won’t see signs of stress like raised fur. A dog with low prey drive is apt to ignore even a rabbit running by where a high prey drive dog never could. Most mastiffs don’t have a lot of prey drive, but Bandog Mastiffs are crossed with bulldogs to add prey drive. High natural prey drive in a typical mastiff breed is unusual but not unheard of. Prey drive can be built through training and is best started with a very young pup. My dogs have more prey drive than most mastiffs, because I breed for high prey drive as it makes bitework training easier.

4. Handler sensitivity is a point of contention among breeders and trainers. Basically a handler sensitive dog really cares what his master thinks. There are some ups and downs to this. A handler sensitive dog is easier to train, easier to control, and most importantly safer, because his master can call him down even without training and without having to correct the dog hard. However if his handler is overly harsh the dog can lose confidence against humans and become suppressed into an overly submissive state. Personally I like handler sensitivity because I know when I say something to my dogs they listen and I don’t have to yell. Other breeds, like the herding breeds used as police dogs, have very low handler sensitivity.
>>
>>2117078
I recall one k9 officer training with his dog and the only way he could correct the dog where the dog responded was with a loud yell and a hard pull on a pinch collar. The most common correction I use is to snap my fingers and my dogs know that means no. Handler sensitive dogs are safer and easier to live with in a home with a family, which is where my dogs are designed to be.

5. Rank drive is the drive to attain higher social status, and in an aggressive dog this can also mean rank aggression. Rank driven dogs will look to own/dominate everyone and everything they can. Rottweilers are an example of a breed with high rank drive. You will know rank driven dogs because they will show dominance every chance they get. This includes taking things from others, leaning on others, making others move, protectiveness of objects/ownership, humping, standing over others, refusal to follow commands. A non-rank driven dog will mostly not do these things because they’re happy with their social status. Between dogs of near equal rank these behaviors will show up even in non-rank driven dogs, but won’t be directed at their master. There are major problems with a rank driven working dog. Rank drive is a social drive, meaning it’s mostly directed at their own pack – that’s who they have to contend with to attain higher pack status. The obvious problem with an agressive rank drive dog is if they feel they out rank you and their rank has been challenged, they will want to correct you aggressively. If they feel you out rank them they will be looking for an opportunity to gain rank, waiting for you to show weakness. That can be anything from laying down on the floor, to catching a cold, or to being sad. A rank driven dog is obviously not a good dog to be around the elderly, children, or people who sometimes show weakness. Also, if you are attacked by someone the dog may see that as an opportunity to attack you as well and gain rank while you’re down.
>>
>>2117079 That’s not a very good guard dog. Lastly, if the dog isn’t aggressive enough to do those things but is still primarily rank driven, then any aggression you see, even against intruders is most likely a bluff. Even if the dog is not bluffing and is willing to bite, a dog may ‘cur’ (just stop trying) if it thinks it cannot dominate a target. Again, not what you want in a guard dog.

Raising a working mastiff is a special challenge, but the reward is one of the most powerful guard dogs in the world. There are some important things to remember while raising your dog. The way you reward and correct a handler sensitive dog can have a huge impact on the dog’s perception of itself and its environment. Heavy domination over a low rank driven dog will suppress the dog’s ability by damaging its confidence against humans. Putting low rank drive and handler sensitivity together means you can ruin the dog easily by over dominating or over correcting. Everything in the dog’s life should be about building the dog’s confidence. Use motivational obedience only. If you don’t know how to teach a dog without correction, learn how. Compulsive obedience will ruin a mastiff pup. Snapping your fingers should be the closest thing to correction you should need. If you teach a dog that they can be easily overpowered by humans as a pup, you can’t expect him to have an easy time fighting a man once he’s grown. It takes a long time to teach an adult dog it’s strong, and no time to teach a pup.
>>
>>You can build up a pup more and more by doing early bite development games. Make sure they are games. They should be fun no stress exercises for the dog, like tug of war. Every dog is different and will be stressed by different things, so you have to watch your dog and make sure he is always enjoying himself. You should never try to push your own pup into defense – you will only ruin the dogs trust in you. Once your dog is conflicted by not wanting to challenge you it may begin showing avoidance and then you have damaged your dog’s working ability in a serious way. Doing only prey driven exercise accomplishes two good tings: it teaches the dog to enjoy working in prey dive, making his drives stronger; and teaches him to be comfortable biting, tugging, and wrestling with a human. You reward deep biting, pulling back, persistence, fast biting, and willingness to work with petting/praise and by letting them win the tug. Start easy, and over months of work slowly increase the amount of fight until they are going through the motions of PP work without the stress. Keep it light, keep it excited, keep it fun, and keep each session short. Let him win when he works so he learns the way to win is to work, and stop and put the tugs away before he loses interest. That way you build interest and he’ll want it even more next time. Eventually he’ll get to where you can’t pick up the tug before he’s after it. That’s when you need two tugs because you don’t want to let him win only to go over and take it from him for round two. Instead start working the other tug so he gets used to dropping the tug and going back for more – this will be important when he starts doing civil training. Teach him to trust his teeth and his strength. I recommend starting prey development as early as possible by teaching them to chase rags and flirt poles.
>>
>>2117081
Just play with him the way you would play with a cat Introduce the puppy sleeve once he’s lost all his puppy teeth and can play tug without hurting himself. Early exposure to everything he will see in his training will help him tremendously. When you expose him to people, equipment, the sound of a whip, fast movement, or muzzles, make sure everything is introduced as a new fun thing he should look forward to. Never teach a working pup not to mouth things or bite or he will be in conflict – wanting to bite but knowing he’s not supposed to. Teach your pup that excitement is good by playing excitedly. If you teach your mastiff to always be calm then he will be conflicted about being high energy in a conflict.

A lot of people think a dog has to be unsocialized to work. This is wrong – socializing a dog will help them work. An unsocialized dog is a dog that has never been out to meet people or see other dogs or cars or the world in general. These dogs are under a lot of stress when they see an outside person for the first time and that person starts acting like a bad guy. An unsocialized dog may make a good biter but will not make a good PP dog. A PP dog is your bodyguard. They must be able to be with you. you should be able to walk them down the street and turn their aggression on and off by command. You should be able to release the dog on a target and know it will not maul any bystanders. A PP dog is a weapon, an extension of your will, and should confidently do anything you ask of him without fear or stress. An unsocialized dog may be territorial enough to guard his area, but a dog who’s aggressive toward or afraid of cars and noises and lights and people on the street isn’t a PP dog. A well bred working dog won’t have to be forced to bite – that should be a part of the dog’s nature. He should be willing to fight to protect his family and his home without training.
>>
>>2117082
Training will just make him better at what he was born to do. Socializing him won’t take that part of his nature away – he will still know a threat when he sees one and will still know what to do with it. Socializing him will make him more confident around everything and everyone, it will make him easier to live with, and is necessary if you ever plan on taking him anywhere, including the vet.You really have to think ahead about what you plan for your dog to do, and build his early training around getting him ready for that. Remember, PP training is like martial arts for dogs; you’re teaching a dog when, why, and how to best use his natural weapons, and teaching him that he is strong, capable, and has nothing to fear.

The last, most important, and hardest thing is find a good decoy. Too many people offer “aggression training” and all they do is put the dog on a 2 foot chain and terrify it into biting. After that the dog will be an unstable non-trustworthy fear biter. There is a huge difference between a fear biter and a PP dog. A PP trained dog is taught and bred to be a hero, a fear biter is a scared cornered animal. It’s very important that you find a decoy with years of experience. Look at other dogs they have trained (a good trainer will be able to show you something), then ask yourself if that’s the kind of dog you want living in your house. Another mark of a good trainer is that they will listen to you and they are interested in training the dog to be what you want and need. You should be able to ask them about any aspect of training that concerns you, and remember it’s your dog and you have to live with the results of their training for years to come.
>>
>>2115034
>>2115201
My black labrador attacked a burglar as well when she was about 4. She was the gentlest most quiet dog ever. Never heard her make the noises she did that night ever again.The guy ran away and she came into my bedroom waggling her tail with a bloody sleeve she'd ripped clean off his arm.

But yeah, had definitely "earned her keep" for life after that incident. After that my parents used to leave all the windows and doors open when they went out, even when she was 16 and partially deaf/blind.

Was walking my current dog when she was a 4 month old puppy at the park, and a guy had a pit bull (banned in my country) that was clearly being trained as a guard dog. Freaked me the fuck out desu, it tried to rip me and my dog's head off.
>>
>>2116887
There are women on this board.
>>
>>2116451
Do not fuck with geese

They operate like a gang, you hurt one and they'll be 2 dozen out of nowhere to back them up

They usually only get aggressive when they have eggs on the go though.
>>
File: 1453364557597.jpg (39 KB, 855x279) Image search: [Google]
1453364557597.jpg
39 KB, 855x279
>>2117067
>>2117070

This was an interesting read. Thank you for sharing. I know that took a lot of time to type out.
>>
>>2117238

Sorry I shoulf have made it more clear, its a cut and paste from www.midgardmastiffs.com
>>
>>2117181
Only anon and attention whores. Lurk more.
>>
>>2117181
And none that will suck your dick.
>>
>>2111445
Mine always did. A low growl usually set people straight.
>>
>>2111919
Stop taking the bait.
>>
>>2115201
Burgulars here nick the dogs.
Even fuck huge ones. God knows how they're doing it. It's a real problem
>>
>>2117059
Idk anon, my doggo did a pretty good job "guarding" even though we never trained him too, socialized him well, etc.

I don't know if it was a breed thing but he was a mastiff and around new people or people he didn't like he would always stand or sit between me and them, or position himself in between us.
>>
my dog just looks at other dogs when they are barking or growling at him, and has never payed attention to people walking past the house

once my friend walked into my room in the middle of the night with his hood up and my dog growled at him though, only time ive ever seen him act aggressive to someone
>>
My dachshund will break up "fights" (Use playfully slapping each other on the arm) between family members. We picked her up on the side as an old lady on the road one really cold winter. She has a burn mark on her hip where it seems like she tried to get close to a space heater. Her old owners didn't want her back, even though she's just about the sweetest dog I've ever met.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.