[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What should I use to brush my puppy's undercoat? She's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
What should I use to brush my puppy's undercoat? She's a 9 months old golden retriever.

I've been using one of these combination brushes that's slicker on a side and bristle on the other, not much hair come on either, but she's still shedding all over the house even though I brush her 2~3 times a week.
>>
http://www.furminator.com/Products.aspx

I've heard personally from a friend that her furminator is a godsend. Takes care of shedding, makes her pup's coat super smooth, feels amazing.

Only thing is, she warned that when this product first came out, people used this tool so much they didn't realize that it would bald their pets. It has a small blade within the prongs that takes care of the shedding undercoat, so you have to be careful to not overuse it, otherwise your dog will end up with a little bald spot.
>>
>>2110762
FYI she's a golden retriever.

You can brush and brush and brush and they'll still shed.
>>
>>2110765
Yeah, I saw this, and that a bunch did cut hairs.
I've also seen a bunch that look like small rakes and have retractable pins that do not look like they cut hairs. How well do these work?
>>
>>2110777
Not the other guy but seconding a furminator. They are expensive but they get everything out.
>>
>>2110765
>http://www.furminator.com/Products.aspx

Yes, BUT, for the love of god, get the vacuum attachment off amazon or at least ducttape the hose to the handle of the thing. And don't wear black when using it.
>>
File: 1436322178897.jpg (1 MB, 2917x2077) Image search: [Google]
1436322178897.jpg
1 MB, 2917x2077
>>2110806

(that was a Furminator endorsement, by the way. There is a reason groomers charge $70 just to use it on the clients after their baths.

I'm not either of the first 2 posters, btw. I have 2 Great Pyrenees. Let's talk about thick coats, eh? I use it about twice a week.
>>
File: getusedtothefur.jpg (175 KB, 612x816) Image search: [Google]
getusedtothefur.jpg
175 KB, 612x816
>>2110793

Going to advise against this unless you want a thinner coat in general. Furminators will wreck double coated breeds as it strips out most of the undercoat. It'll wreck her coat shape and they rarely grow back properly if you strip out the vast majority of the undercoat with a furminator.

I have a sheltie and a rough collie and wouldn't dream of going near them with a furminator. Honestly, you're doing the right thing- a slicker brush will get the vast majority of it out, with a finer comb over her feathers.

However, she's going to shed, she's a golden retriever. Wait until she has a season, I suspect she'll shed the entire of her coat and then you're in for some fun. In other words, get used to it.
>>
>>2110814

A furminator is not a brush. You go over the fur, methodically, and never focus on one spot. It is specifically to pull out the undercoat. Not make it all face the same direction like a brush. You should never do more than 3 passes on 1 area, and never more than twice a week.

If you do, THEN you get fur that lays weird or start to irritate the skin. Because IT IS NOT A BRUSH, it s a grooming tool and tools can be dangerous if not used correctly.

You go over your dog's back 20x with a furminator and then whine about the fur not laying right? WTF did you think was happening when there was fur flying everywhere and you filled up half a trash can? It is dislodging fur, not just pick up loose fur.

Use it right, and it's the greatest tool in your arsenal against shedding. Your carpets will thank you, and the dog will stay cooler.
>>
>>2110826

it says in the directions to use after brushing. first brush, then ferminate. i do a bath before the brush.
>>
>>2110826

I don't use a furminator, and my dogs certainly don't need it to stay cooler: double coated breeds are actually cooler WITH their undercoat attached. I don't care about my carpet, I accepted the shedding when I bought the dogs.

You've said it yourself, it's there to "pull out the undercoat", i.e pull it out when it's not loose as it has a blade in the brush. In other words, it'll break up the undercoat and wreck the overall composition of the dogs coat (making it an awful lot thinner for starters). If OP is even remotely interested in anything like showing then using a furminator would kill his girl's chances.

OP has a double coated breed, OP should have realised when he bought it that it would shed like crazy. If OP wants to wreck his dogs coat then by all means, go ahead and furminate.
>>
>>2110940
>double coated breeds are actually cooler WITH their undercoat attached.

In direct sunlight only. Their coats are reflective.

>>2110940
>I don't care about my carpet, I accepted the shedding when I bought the dogs.

A good vacuum goes a long way. Not so much for your clothes when they rub on you as you're getting ready for work. That matters to those of us that can't dress comfortably for work.

>>2110940
>it'll break up the undercoat and wreck the overall composition of the dogs coat

I'm talking from experience with 2 giant breed double-coated fur explosions. It does not change the appearance in any significant way. It'll be fine. Maybe whoever you saw using one was doing it wrong. My guys look fantastic. The problem areas, like directly above the tail and behind the ears, don't get matted anymore. And their "fur output" doesn't send me running in the morning after I put on my stuffy work clothes.
>>
Don't use a furminator OP, get an undercoat rake and put in the work.
But don't just take my word for it, compare that Great Pyr posted to your golden. Image search great Pyrenees and compare the coats. Sorry anon but the furminator is a gimmick. The blades aren't there to remove the undercoat, they are there to make lazy people think brushing their dogs is that easy by producing big piles of fur in a hurry.
>>
>>2110995
Yeah, I was still thinking of a rake over furminator anyway.
>>
Welp, bought a rake. (Karlie Flamingo one with 20 retractable pins on a single line)
Found some knots and a lot of dead hairs that I never found or felt with the combination brush I mentioned in the OP, especially around the butt and ears. Most hairs I got were grey and curly/wavy, very few were white/golden and straight, so I guess this rake doesn't cut?

And no, I don't want her to be a show dog, just clean, healthy and comfortable whether it's 30°C or -30°C out, and for her not to shed all over the sofa and beds.
>>
Take her to the groomers and ask for their deshedding pkg. The special shampoo and velocity dryer blows out a literal shit ton of hair. Plus they will brush them out using the correct tools. It's good that you brush her to remove any tangles but she should go to the groomer somewhat regularly for this (especially this time of the year ~ as she's dropping her winter coat) you can get her a neat and up too, lots of people get slight trims on Goldens as well every 8 or so weeks. Source: Groomer
>>
>>2112298
She's afraid of dryers tho.
>>
File: image.jpg (127 KB, 750x754) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
127 KB, 750x754
That's how she learns to be less afraid of dryers. Most dogs don't enjoy the dryers or various things but in the end they feel much better and leave in good spirits. Good groomers will be kind and patient and know certain tricks to making the dogs more comfortable. She's young but the sooner the better for exposure, its never too late. Pic related
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.