[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Petition to rid Florida of using shark fin in restaurants
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 1
I didn't know this was still legal! Just saw this on the marine biology subplebbit and I thought /an/ might want to chip in a signature to help this petition!
https://www.change.org/p/ban-shark-fin-sales-in-florida
>>
>>2108183
Are there any petitions for states other than Florida or is Florida the only place it's legal? I'd sign/share on normiebook one that was for the us or for ca
>>
>>2108189
Ca being california. Not canada
>>
>>2108189
It's legal in many other places, but they only posted one for Florida. I, being from florida want it outta here.
>>
>>2108190
https://awionline.org/content/restaurants-currently-offering-shark-fin-soup

Here's a map and list of all states and restaurants to use shark fins in the US.
>>
>>2108183
>https://www.change.org/p/ban-shark-fin-sales-in-florida
>Dolphin lovers should also know that fishermen kill and cut up dolphins for shark bait for their hooks
This is bullshit barracuda and jack crevalle are great bait for sharks and don't require getting ass raped for poaching.
>>
>>2108193
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2465575/Dolphins-killed-bait-catch-endangered-sharks-Peru.html

I just found this too. I don't know how credible it is though.
>>
>>2108193
>Peru
See how that's not Florida.
>>
>>2108193
This

Hell, I've cought plenty of sharks using mullet as bait in the grass flats
>>
>>2108197
Meant to reply to
>>2108196
>>
>>2108199
This is to ban the sale and possession of shark fin in Florida. Not to catch them or something.

>>2108198
Same here I can catch them with a dead mullet, they'll eat anything.
>>
>>2108183
I would also like to add that the FWC regulates fishing something fierce, the species of shark you are allowed to harvest have healthy stocks.
>>
>>2108201
So if you want to eat a blacktip you cut off its fins and toss them into the sea?
>>
>>2108204
I don't eat shark, I'm OP! However, that seatrout though.
>>
>>2108205
I don't either but this petition sounds like if you have a whole shark you will get in trouble even if its numerous supposedly tasty one like a blacktip or bonnethead.
>>
>>2108206
Oh, well, I just don't want people having shark fin. If you want to eat shark, you kill it and fillet it like you would any other species.
>>
>>2108207
You would still be in possession of the fin if you tried to use as much of the Sharks meat as possible
>>
Isn't it a common practice to cut the fins off live sharks then dump them back in the water to slowly bleed to death?
>>
>>2108209
Not in Florida.
>>
>>2108208
I think when a law will be made, they'll add acceptions for recreational fishermen that wants to keep a common species eg:blacktip, lemon, bonnethead, nurse shark.
>>
>>2108212
But why? If you are going to catch and kill an animal why can't you keep the whole thing?
>>
>>2108215
You would keep the majority of useable meat like any other gamefish. No one pretty much keeps an entire fish to eat. Bones, organs and scales are all the stuff you want to get rid of. When you're done fishing, a dock has a station with a knife, hose, and a bench, where you fillet the fish and you can get two nice boneless chunks of meat per fish. There's other ways to fillet them, but that's the most common.
>>
This is retarded.
Why just specifically shark fin? Shark meat is all well and good, but I guess they better just throw away the fins, right?

Can we also make a petition to shut down any restaurant selling chicken wings? Chicken is fine to serve, but I think chicken wings should be banned.
>>
>>2108207
You are completely fucking retarded.

>It's okay to kill and eat the fish
>BUT NOT TO ALSO USE IT'S FINS THOSE MUST BE THROWN IN THE GARBAGE AND NOT EATEN.
>>
>>2108232
I can't tell if you're being serious.

If you are, then it's not the fact they're selling the fins that are bad, it's the method of capture. Thousands of sharks are caught and have their fins sliced, then throw the shark overboard while it's still alive. Since now, the shark can't swim, it simply dies. This is a major reason why shark populations have decreased.

Maybe you are a troll, or you live under a bridge like one and haven't listened to the news since 1987.
>>
>>2108242
This petition is about Florida, where you are not allowed to do that.
http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/sharks/
>>
>>2108183
does it taste good is it some sort delicacy?

yum i say

whats your beef with a bit of shark fin lad?
>>
>>2108290
>Shark fin soup is a soup or broth of Chinese origin made with shark fin and flavoured with chicken or some other stock. The fin itself has very little flavour and it is used primarily to add texture to the dish and because it is seen as a delicacy. It is often served to guests at important events such as weddings and business banquets. Shark fin soup is not cheap – it can easily cost upwards of $100 per bowl, this fact has helped ensure a steady supply of fins as fishermen and middlemen (sometimes associated with mafia-type gangs) slaughter sharks wherever they can find them in order to satisfy the market. With the sudden increase in prosperity in the Far East, shark fin soup is being consumed in vast quantities, placing an unsustainable and crippling demand on shark populations.
>>
>>2108242
This isn't china. Maybe stop being a kneejerking idiot and actually look into what you're mindlessly parroting everywhere.

That doesn't happen in florida. None of the shark fins in florida restaurants came from sharks caught using that method.
>>
If they're not doing the shit the chinks do where they lop the fins off and toss the crippled shark back into the sea to bleed to death, I say let them eat their bland gelatinous goo in broth.
>>
>>2108183
online petitions have literally never accomplished anything

and just how many signatures are you expecting from one of 4chan's slowest boards anyway
>>
>>2108307
pfft a bunch of nonesense if you ask me their fucking sharks they'lle be fine
>>
>>2108183
I'd rather sign a petition saying that as much as possible of the shark must be used/sold. I don't see the point in banning the food itself.
>>
>>2108183

Everyone should watch the documentary "Sharkwater". Watch "Food Inc" while you're at it!
>>
>>2108290
skip to 1:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r65FgUYdBOc
>>
>>2108183
>Florida
there's the problem.

I don't petition Florida, I just don't spend my money there. I used to go there two weeks out of the year and blow thousands of dollars. After the Trayvon thing I sold my timeshare and haven't been back.

Fuck Florida. Once everyone stops spending money there it'll go away.
>>
>>2108183
why do you give a shit? they hurt cows, pigs and chicken as much as shark for food and you don't mind eating those

either care about all animals or none
>>
>>2110329
>they hurt cows, pigs and chicken as much as shark for food and you don't mind eating those
none of those are wild animals with decreasing populations.
>>
>>2110330
Let's domesticate sharks.
>>
>>2112072
I'd be all for it, but most of them can't be kept in captivity and when you get right down to it they aren't even as smart as chickens which puts them right up there with spiders and cobras for animals that have just enough brains to really fuck you up.
>>
>>2112073
Well, we'll have to selectively breed them for bigger brains then.
>>
>>2112074
I think that was the plot of a movie.
>>
>>2110330
Shark fisheries are heavily regulated in Florida, even the commercial guys can only catch 2 a day.
>>
>>2112077
>restaurants only serve local meat
>>
>>2112078
Well that is the point of the thread, to ban eating a part of a shark in Florida.
>>
>>2112080
that doesn't imply that the part you're eating came from florida.
>>
>>2112081
Is shark meat imported into the US?
>>
>>2112082
well from what you're saying it certainly isn't coming from Florida.
>>
>>2112083
After a little research it seems I'm partially full of shit, state waters are the 2 shark limit, federal limit is whatever the hell that is.
>>
>>2112084
I don't know that it matters. OP's crap is like recent petitions to stop restaurants from serving lion meat in Florida. What Florida's laws on hunting lions are doesn't actually matter since the meat isn't coming from there.

Not that I personally care either way, I just wanted anon to understand cruelty isn't really the reason environmentalists would like to ban shark finning. Different people have different motivations.
>>
>>2112085
I'm all for not importing from anywhere that doesn't fish responsibly.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/27/world/outlaw-ocean-thailand-fishing-sea-slaves-pets.html?_r=0
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.