[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/aq/ Aquarium General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 64
File: 1435840989271.jpg (33 KB, 400x245) Image search: [Google]
1435840989271.jpg
33 KB, 400x245
Loach Edition II: Electric Boogaloo

>replying to tripfags
>not reporting/filtering them
Great meme

Old bread: >>2103575

Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor and issues.

Google is your friend.
Feel free to ask questions but know that there are a lot of resources out there that could answer your question a lot faster and accurately than /an/.

Make sure to include these things in your post before asking because we can't help you if we don't have the full picture:
-tank size
-parameters
-any and all inhabitants + how long you've had them

Links:
>How to cycle your tank: http://pastebin.com/x4WnB0Ah (embed) (embed)
>General aquarium care sheets - http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/
>Livestock and plants for sale - http://www.petsolutions.com/ http://www.aquabid.com
>FUCKING GOOGLE-
>>
What would be required to achieve a marine/freshwater tank that can stably run water change-less? I'm curious, hypothetically.

>water changes are about removing nitrates
>de-nitrifying bacteria remove nitrates and convert it to Nitrogen
>use a deep sand bed or fuge with a massive anoxic environment to cultivate de-nitrifying bacteria and cycle it until it can remove nitrates

What else would be stumbling blocks and why isn't it this easy?
>>
>>2106527
Look up "Walstad Method"
It's the closest thing you'll be able to find to low maintenance
>>
File: JesusFuckingChristPH.jpg (543 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
JesusFuckingChristPH.jpg
543 KB, 1600x900
Holy shit need help, /an/! What do I do at this point? Three days ago it was fine. Two days ago I had fish swimming kinda irregularly. Today I have my school of corcats swimming near the top of my tank. In a matter of three days I went from everything is fine to oh fucking shit. Water change did just about nothing as of 6 hours ago. API Ph Lower kinda helped?

Do I do a full water change or what?

>TL;DR Ph level too high
>>
>>2106564
soda ash :DDD
>>
Anyone have any experience with rope fish?
>>
I have been thinking of getting a pet Lobster. Anyone else have any experience with them?
>>
>>2106564
sounds normal.
if your pH suddenly climbs it's because of co2 outgassing. It's fine.

it's not why your fish are having problems.
>>
>>2106585
What type: Spiny, Reef, Crayfish? There's a lot of things that are called lobster.
>>
File: 6MNcufwh.jpg (93 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
6MNcufwh.jpg
93 KB, 1024x768
>>2106585
i recommend a spiny lobster, they're huge and metal as fuck
>>
>>2106612
I mean, not everyone has a tank for a spiny lobster. I wish I could keep the small ones when I dive in the Keys and put them in a tank.

A much more reasonable lobster are the reefs. They are pretty neat and colorful. And they stay small enough for even a biocube!
>>
>>2106527
It's not necesarily only about removing nitrates when your doing a water change. Marine water has many trace minerals in it that need to be replenished. This can either be done with water changes, or by dosing aaallllll of those elements and testing every single one until all levels are where they should be.
For example, my reef hasn't ever had readable nitrates after my cycle finished, but I still do weekly 10% water changes to add the micro elements back into the water. Like I said, you can setup dosing pumps for this, but that just adds something else that can fail in some way, and crash your tank.
>>
>>2106619
that's assuming a reef though.

it would be very difficult to keep a reef without water changes.

a saltwater tank isn't necessarily a reef though.

also, all that dosing and such can be avoided with a co2 reactor. that has other risks though.
>>
>>2106617
Do you live in the keys? Sugarloaf here.
>>
>>2106527
you'd need a DSB the size of a house to get enough denitrifying bacteria to clear a 55g FOWLR.

turf scrubbers are far more effective, but even then you'd need to harvest the algae and when you toss it you're going to lose salt and essential minerals.

However if you don't plan on keeping corals or other inverts you don't really need to change water more than once a year or so.

also if your tank is huge or way understocked you can get away with it. I had a 1000g FOWLR system that I changed water on about once every three years.
>>
>>2106527
You can go for macro algae marine tank. Like a fresh water planted, but without plants or freshwater. Macro algae can be so alien looking too. The algae will also take care of the Nitrates, but you'd still have to top off.
>>
>>2106581
need to be kept in a closed top tank because thay will get out and no tank mates that can fit in there mouth but other wise a relatively easy fish to keep. I think thay are an species of polypterus or related.

pic is my delhezi
>>
>>2106633
you might be surprised how many macros die when exposed to even slightly high nitrates.

several of them also remove calcium at a rate close to that of corals.
>>
>>2106612
I was really hoping for a European Lobster, the blue ones.

Are Crabs easier to look after? What's the difference?
>>
>trumpet snail invasion
>buy a bunch of assassin snails
>the assassins die one by one, leaving only empty shells behind
>realise what's happening today as I spot the last assassin hiding in his shell while an angelfish tries to eat him
Turns out my scalare have developed a taste for assassin snails. Fuckers won't touch the MTS though. Damn fish.
>>
>>2106630
Actually, Cutler Ridge, Miami!
>>
>>2106637
Halimedas are well known for extracting calcium, but I don't think many others do that are common in the trade. I've had caulerpas and chaeto in my "refugium"(actually a guppy breeder box) in my ten gallon reef kinda help me out when I'm not always at a time when a water change is absolutely necessary(for example, finals... shit, I gotta get off 4chan...)
>>
Are there any species of gourami that can be housed comfortably in a 10g aquarium?
>>
>>2106669
any of the dwarf gouramis should be fine.
>>
>>2106669
Dwarf, honey, sparkling, croaking, betta.
>>
>>2106686
>betta
You can't keep a school of betta in a 10g, that's way too small for them.
>>
>>2106699
>a school of betta
bitch what are you even talking about
>>
>>2106669
Also licorice, but those are far more difficult to keep.
Maybe chocolate/samurai, but they're difficult to keep and larger tanks are usually recommended.
Some people keep Microctenopoma spp. in 10 gals without too much trouble, but they're almost impossible to find.
>>
How do these plant selections sound for a 10 gallon? Giant Baby Tears, Hornwort, and Moneywort. Anyone know some U.S native freshwater snails that can breed in freshwater?
>>
>>2106700
They get unhappy if they're kept in schools smaller than six fish.
>>
>>2106702
>Giant Baby Tears
Needs CO2 + Moderate Lighting
>Moneywort
Mine melted, some sources indicate they're low light
>Hornwort
Absolutely fine.
>Freshwater snails
MTS, Ramshorn, Mystery(get the one that doesn't eat plants), and Pond/Bladder snails if you're interested in swarms of plant-shredding snails.

>>2106705
Are you talking about a sorority of female bettas?
>>
>>2106721
>Are you talking about a sorority of female bettas?
You shouldn't keep female bettas together either. They're not as violent as male bettas, but they'll fight each other anyway. I think he's just trolling.
>>
File: female betta sorority.jpg (3 MB, 4320x2432) Image search: [Google]
female betta sorority.jpg
3 MB, 4320x2432
>>2106724
>You shouldn't keep female bettas together either
Wrong, if done correctly, they will not fight.
>>
>>2106721
Thank you.
What about Littorella uniflora and Nymphoides aquatica(Banana plant)? Thanks again.
>>
>>2106732
Never heard of Littorella uniflora, but Banana plants don't require high lighting or CO2, I've effectively kept one in a lowlight tank and it grew about a foot and a half or so.
>>
>>2106733
>Never heard of Littorella uniflora
http://www.bamaplants.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_3&products_id=501
Thanks again. I appreciate your help. I will post an update in 1-2 weeks when my tank is set up.
>>
>>2106737
>great low growing carpet plant
>CO2 is not necessary AT ALL
Sounds like bullshit, but I guess go for it.
>>
>keep a red betta in a 3 gallon
>playful, always interested in my hand
>always wanted to put him in the comfy 10 gallon red cherry shrimp tank
>can't trust him because ghost shrimp didn't work

why are you like this
>>
>>2106739
well i looked this up as it did sound familiar to me at-least. but what i found the the planted tank forum was that it just grows taller under lower light conditions

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/new-plants-planted-aquariums/64586-littorella-uniflora.html
>>
Anyone here have any experience with cajun dwarf crayfish(Cambarellus shufeldtii)? If so, anyone know where I can buy some?
>>
https://youtu.be/3KLY9iVRCTw
>>
Hi /aq/

This is the first fish tank I've ever had. It's 10g.

I have 4 cherry barbs...a dwarf gourami...a nerite snail...and some ghost shrimp.

Everyone seems happy so far...any tips for the future?
>>
>>2106725
>if done correctly, they will not fight.
And by "done correctly" you mean putting one in a breeder box because otherwise they keep fighting?
Sororities are a matter of trial and error until you happen to get some that won't fight. Granted, it can be done, but keeping females together doesn't do anything for the fish. It's just one of those things that aquarists do because "I wanna."
>>
>reposting from old thread

My parents got some fishtank guy to clean their fishtank and the day that it happened they lost two big sliver sharks that stated swimming upside down and floating. It's been two days and this morning they also lost an albino shark. I've checked the levels and they're all normal, the temperature is fine and they're getting enough oxygen. I don't know how to check if the filter is all good, but all of the fish have been really lethargic and aren't swimming around all the time like they used to.
I don't know what else to check to find the cause and I don't know if more fish will die.
>>
>>2106773
>anyone know where I can buy some?
eBay and Aquabid.
They're supposed to be like a calmer version of CPOs.

>>2106786
You should spend less time in the aquarium aisle at PetSmart. The decor is kinda hodgepodge, but the stocking is pretty solid. You did good to get a 1:3 m:f ratio for the cherry barbs.
Keep an eye on the male barb. They're usually fine, but I've gotten an unusually aggressive one in the past that would bite the scales off of females.
If you want a project, you can try breeding the barbs. You'll need a separate tank, but tanks alone are pretty cheap.

As for the decorations, you should get some kind of tall plants. Silk ones are really good if you prefer fake.
If PetSmart is the main store near you and you want to try something a bit more natural, you can check out the reptile section for mopani wood, which is aquarium safe, and darkens the water slightly over time. Cryptocoryne, java fern, and anubias should do okay with that stock LED light, but for most other kinds of plants you'll probably need a new hood.
>>
>>2106843
Make sure to check whether there's chlorine in there. If you can't, just dump in however much you'd need to dechlorinate the entire tank.
>>
>>2106847
I added primer as soon as they showed me the first dead fish. I don't know why they keep getting that guy, this has happened before
>>
>>2106848
>I don't know why they keep getting that guy, this has happened before
I remember that.

I think it's hilarious that they didn't say anything or fire the service.

dude is probably poisoning your fish on purpose.
>>
Does anyone have area specific biotopes, preferably of your own local area? I always promote the recreational approach to understand local wildlife. And I think many natives are sort of left out. Some have brilliant coloration.
>>
>>2106854
Because they don't give two shits about them. However the fish tank is built into the house, so that's the only reason they still have the fish
>>
>>2106858
Could you convert it for herps? It'd be pretty neat to have a terrarium or vivarium/paludarium with a decent rainbow boa in your living room.
>>
>>2106861
Maybe, I've never talked to them about it, but it would be pretty great
>>
>>2106856
Everything in my tank is from the Philippines.

It's not really local tho.
>>
>>2106840
I've done it before. They worked out fine. They were in a community tank with a yoyo loach (the lone survivor of my yoyo community) and a few other fish (sorry, don't remember the type, it's been too long). They all did fine until I put a crawdad in my tank. I caught it in a stream about a mile from my house and it was just a tiny little guy and the next thing I knew, he killed and ate all my fish. Little bastard. And then he crawled out of the tank multiple times no matter what I did to lock the bastard in. Eventually he escaped and I wasn't able to find him until I moved about a year later. Bastard was behind the refrigerator. Anyway, before death lobster became an issue, I'd had the bettas for a couple years and the yoyo loach for 5 or 6 years. I was super attached to that loach too.
>>
File: 20160422_214358.jpg (930 KB, 3145x1841) Image search: [Google]
20160422_214358.jpg
930 KB, 3145x1841
Rate my goldfish

>was 1 of 10 feeder fish I got for my crayfish
>was smaller than a white eraser
>all but 1 got eaten
>the winner kept to him self
>crayfish got old and died
>8 years later I still have the goldfish

hes a bro, only hes eaten 2 snails and re arranges the fish tank ornaments.
>>
>>2106725
If you want to see a school of Betas go over to /r9k/
>>
>>2106879
And that's how you treat him? Fake plants and rocks that harbor bacteria and paint flakes off of them?
>>
>>2106882
he gets fresh greens weekly, and those are pellets, flakes are garbage tier fish food.

also the bacteria are needed to keep the ammonia cycle in check

and I tried giving him live plants once

he ate them.
>>
>>2106885
I said "paint flakes off of them" as in the rocks, anon. :| If he eats them, just get a huge plant were it wouldn't make a difference. Plants add so much good to your tank.
>>
>>2106885
Have you tried anubias and java fern?
>>
>>2106887
have you ever kept any fish alive for 8 years?
no?
then don't pretend to lecture the guy that's doing better than you.
>>
>>2106887
I also have an apple snail, live plants never last long in my tank...

besides if I had a live plant in there he would dig it up and push it over, he does that to all the fake plants, digs them up and pushes them around, even the ornaments get pushed around and burred, than dug up.

I keep the water clean and healthy but I no longer make an effort to make it look nice as he redecorates and rearranges everything non stop.

yesterday the plants where all jumbled together in the corner, he's spread them out today so it looks better, but he knocked over one of the ornaments and the ship is listing.
>>
>>2106885
Depends on the flake. Some fish will only touch flakes. I use high quality flakes with no fillers.
>>
File: NanoFish_Complete VECTOR.png (865 KB, 7028x4244) Image search: [Google]
NanoFish_Complete VECTOR.png
865 KB, 7028x4244
Just spreading some cool knowledge
>>
>>2106949
That's hell to read
>>
>be me
>get a 20L Aqueon tank from Petsmart a while back
>unable to have an aquarium this semester because work
>will have summer to have an aquarium and made time next semester
>look for tops for my fish tank
>can only find it on Aqueons website
>spend 3 hours attempting to locate a proper top so I can put my filter on it
>nothing
I'm so frustrated right now. I know the exact top I need but I can't find it anywhere
>>
>>2106979
http://www.petsmart.com/fish/hoods-glass-canopies/top-fin-hinged-aquarium-glass-top-zid36-27534/cat-36-catid-300074

I have that top on an Aqueon 20 long right now. The back is cut out to fit an Aquaclear 20.
>>
>Want to breed my glowlight tetra
>Get a breeder net
>The holes at the bottom look big enough for eggs to go through

Well what's the point in that?

I was trying to have them lay in the main tank but it looks like I'm going to have to set up a separate tank just to stop other fish eating the eggs as they fall to the ground.
>>
>>2107004
The point is to keep the mother away from her own eggs, so she won't eat them.
You're better off buying a breeding box. The eggs fall through to the bottom, and the mother stays on top. Just net her and move her out of it after she drops, then you can remove the grate and let the fry have the entire box.
>>
File: 20160423_122728[1].jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160423_122728[1].jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>2107005
Kinda seems like the eggs would just fall through the bottom
>>
>>2107041
Put a piece of slate on the bottom then
>>
>everyone is mad at me that I only have two pictus
>'Anon, you need more fish! It looks so empty and your catfish must be lonely!'

Aquarium advisor is saying that just 2 pictus already over-fills my 30g tank. I like just watching them swim around each other anyways. If anything I was thinking of adding a betta, but I might have too much water current for one to thrive. I also like to keep my tank open because I 'rescue' goldfish that other people try to kill when they get bored of it. I know it's not the best conditions for a goldfish but it's better than what they generally are left to live in
>>
>at aquarium shop today buying a male severum for my female
>watch as a couple and their kid tries to buy some angelfish
>"So, what size tank are you running?"
>"A 60 litre"
>"No, I'm not selling you angelfish, we only want our animals to go to good homes with proper housing."
>"B-But..."
Kek, I love this place.
>>
>>2106878
The person you're quoting wasn't saying it's impossible for a sorority to work out fine. They said it could work out fine, it just offers no benefit to the fish.

also
>keeping only 1 yoyo loach
>not knowing that a crawfish will kill everything in your tank

Faggot
>>
Testing
>>
>>2107106
>work at shitty petsmart
>people buying overly tiny(more often then not fish bowls) same time as their fish
>I get complaints constantly because I tell people they cant put 1 goldfish in a bowl and expect it to live muchless 6
>people act like im lying and trying to shill our 60 gallon tanks on them because"ive kept fish all my life my last goldfish lived for a YEAR!"

Not to mention shit like people claiming they know what they are doing but plan on putting shit like african cichlids goldfish molly's and gouramis in a 20g Its hilarous how many people have a "pretty big" tank and its something like a 3-5g and occasionally a 10.

I fucking hate my job but the only non chain pet store in my area closed because the owner retired.
>>
Do Mystery Snails eat plants?
>>
Just did a water change last night. Everytime I unplug my Fluval Aquaclear 50 I always have to dick with the impeller for 10-15 minutes after to get it to start again, and then it takes a day or two to get back to it's usual quietness. I'm really coming down from my infatuation with Hagen products.
>>
>buy filter second hand
>working fine
>get home
>set it up
>pisses water all over my floor
Thanks, fluval.
>>
>>2107127
This is why I've learned to stop working in terms of "you can't" and instead in terms of "here's what's going to happen."

>>2107128
Soft, delicate ones. Plants with tough or thick leaves are usually safe as long as the snail is being fed.
>>
>>2107136
Thank you.
>>
>>2106891
>have you kept a notoriously hardy fish in miserable conditions for 8 years?
>>
What kind of fish can I put in a tank with an Oscar without increasing bioload too much? Was thinking Cory's but I heard they try to eat them. My Oscar is only 6" ATM though.
>>
>>2107127
>I've kept x before x amount of years!
I hate this shit so much, every time I'd get a retard trying to buy a koi for a 10 gallon because big fish = better in their heads, they'd pull out that bullshit.
>>
>>2107154
How big is the tank?
>>
>>2106846
Does Java fern REALLY do well with LEDs? I don't fucking believe it. I tried it once and all my plants died.
>>
>>2107157
60 gallons, hence why I'm worried about bioload.
>>
>>2107163
Pretty much nothing.
>>
>>2107163
I'd be safe and say an Oscar's good enough for your tank. I'm not big into cichlids though, but I've seen them get pretty big in lakes when I go fishing.
>>
>>2107165
>>2107168
Yeah I figured as much, oh well.
>>
>>2107106
I wish there were petstores like that near me. Instead, my LFS would let a child bring a red tail shark in with their neon tetras, and wouldn't give me Anubis plant because my goldfish would 'just eat it'.

>>2107127
I know that feel all too well, but with cats and dogs instead of fish. It's entertainment to them, not living creatures.

I've 'rescued' goldfish from living in milk jugs, being left outdoors, and people trying to kill them without killing them by starving them, giving them only an inch or two of water, using the fish bowl as an ashtray, etc. Goldfish are by far the most socially acceptable animal to torture
>>
>>2107171
I hate how socially acceptable "fish" torture is. I see it all the time like it's no big deal. One thing that bugs me was a commercial with a electric blue cichlid in a fish bowl.

But the worst was a Youtube video where this kid had about 7 goldfish(among several other fish) in a water bottle saying shit like "Oh, I'm waiting for water to settle. I heard that heavy metals are in tap water, so I left my fish in this bottle..." I can't remember the gist of the entire video though. I'll try to find it.
>>
>>2107179
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I6ah31TgDQ

Found it! Beware! This is a horrible video.
>>
Are we having a schism here between marine and fresh water /aq/ here?
>>2105426
>>
File: tank 3rd week.jpg (423 KB, 1536x1152) Image search: [Google]
tank 3rd week.jpg
423 KB, 1536x1152
3 weeks and the green is coming out nicely.

Also what would the best placement for the C02 flipper? Where I currently have it, or right next to the filter?
>>
>>2107266
i like this a lot. nice work, anon

>>2107258
yes. the freshwaterfags shit on the marinefags, , usually citing things like "muh plants" and "marinefags are rich and i am not", etc. i am a freshwaterfag myself, but i dont participate in any of that nonsense. i just want to see nice tanks.
>>
>>2107159
There seems to be very little rhyme or reason to what java fern will does well in. I've had it with natural daylighr, cheap LEDs, PCs, and T5HOs all of different intensities and with different fertilizer regimens, and as far as I can tell it's all a damn crap shoot.
>>
>>2107266
scrapers tank? what L is it?
I have the 50 and that looks a lot smaller.
Very nice though, what light?
>>
>>2107171
>bring a red tail shark in with their neon tetras
I don't see anything wrong with that, shark's are territorial but not aggressive, and have tiny mouths, so can't eat tetra even if they want to.
>>
>>2107266
Is that a Radius 5 gallon? It looks really good, but that's incredibly small for cherry barbs(?) and silvertip tetras.

>C02 flipper
The ladder diffuser? It shouldn't matter much if it's working properly (bubbles completely dissolved before they reach the top). If there are bubbles still coming out of the top you can try putting it next to the filter output so it blows them around the tank a bit.
>>
>>2107312
Yeah its the scapers 35L with the nano LED it came with.

>>2107322
Its closer to 7 gallon but yeah the silver tips wont be staying long just trying to find them a better bigger home.
>>
>>2107258
not really.
marine threads have been tried b4, there's never enough interest to keep them moving. Part of the problem is that all marine aquarists consider themselves experts on the subject, so there's not a lot of questions being asked.
>>
>>2106856
I have a Salween river biotope tank, loaches, danios, garras, gouramis and a shark, nothing fancy and not local.
>>
>>2106856
I wanted to do a Wisconsin tank for my office, but it's illegal to catch and keep native fish
>>
>>2107127
>lived for a year

Those people piss me off, taken care of a generic goldfish can live for over 20 years.

I accidently managed to keep my feeder goldfish healthy and happy for 8 years and he still has years ahead of him.

Reminds me of something I once experienced
>people at pet store buying goldfish, hear them say their old one got sick so they just flushed it and are replacing it

I was annoyed, the few times my fish got sick I got him medication and did a waterchange, he recoverd fast and we'll, he accidently rubs off a scale I do water changes and keep the water clean until it's started growing back.

Some people should not be aloud to own fish.
>>
>>2107152
His conditions arn't miserable, I take damn good care of him, he gets fresh greens weekly, if he looses a scale I keep the water clean as it heals, I do water chemistry checks twice a month, the few times he's needed medication he's gotten excellent care.

I also replace the fake plants every year or so to prevent deterioration.

Just because I don't pit live plants into a take with 2 creatures that eat them no matter what dosnt mean he's suffering bro.
>>
>>2107277
My tanks have all been fresh water, I would love a marine tank but they are just more work than I can put into them so it wouldent be fair to the tank.

One day I hope to get one but not right now.

I don't understand the "my water type is better than yours" bullshit, such an odd thing to faction about.
>>
>>2107179
Shitty fishkeepers thread?

>one of my aunts has multiple 200L tanks, aquascaped, really well done
>other idiot aunt decides to but a fishtank
>gets a 10L with the cheapest, smallest filter, no light, no pump, no heater
>fills it with 5 guppies and tons of shitty fake ornaments
>bettas in unfiltered bowls
>'but anon i change the water every week"
>one cup per week, and she keeps the filter off to save money
>tell her to at least turn the fucking filter on
>within five minutes of turning it on, the last guppy drops dead so she obviously never cleaned it
>'i just dont know what happened, oh well next week ill buy five minnows'

Why do people bother getting a tank if they're just gonna let it go to shit?
>>
My dad used to have a fishtank with a school of Mollies, they where always a lot of fun, and they would breed on a regular basis. We never separated the eggs or fry from the parents but a good number always survived and grew and would them selfs breed.

The tank always had a self regulating population of between 15 - 20, he had the tank for years but than he married this stupid Ukraine who didn't like pets and she made him get rid of them. Luckily my dads cool so he took them to the pet store and didn't flush them like she wanted

I'm still mad about that, it was a wonderful healthy and nice comunity and it was destroyed by a fish hating bitch.
>>
>>2107461
3DPD, not even once.
>>
File: vwMin.gif (584 KB, 320x213) Image search: [Google]
vwMin.gif
584 KB, 320x213
htps://pezhead.info/store/product.php?productid=18950&cat=0&featured=Y
>>
>>2107455
I used to work at the pet section at Walmart and it was the most infuriating job imaginable.
>mfw sheboons would come in and buy koi to keep their little niglets distracted
>cue little niglets punching the koi in its bag
>"OH IS OK WE ONLY BUYIN IT TO KEEP THE KIDS QUIET ON THE WAY HOME, WE THROWIN IT OUT"
everyone there was literal human garbage.
>>
File: 1457675113740.png (100 KB, 270x294) Image search: [Google]
1457675113740.png
100 KB, 270x294
Why are Oscars so fucking cute senpai?
>>
>>2107480
>>
>>2107473
Wait, is that an actual bowl it comes with that they're suggesting you put actual fish in?
>>
File: 1386832173128.jpg (18 KB, 187x260) Image search: [Google]
1386832173128.jpg
18 KB, 187x260
>>2107473
>>
>>2107455
Years and years ago
>friend gets $100 Walmart gift card for upgrading her phone
>decides she wants fish tank, with my help
>10 G kit, castle decoration, bulb plants, betta, 2 female guppies
>takes care of the tank well at first; feeds appropriately, changes water
>leaves house for a day at a time, specifically tells grandmother not to touch the tank
>one guppy dies eventually, most likely from grandmother overfeeding while she was gone
>she downgrades the tank to a 5 gallon she got from my dad so it'll be "easier"
>other guppy dies not long after
>she moves out, takes betta with her
>betta is fed rarely, looks like shit, algae is all over the tank, water is never changed, light never gets turned on
>she downgrades tank again to a 2.5 gallon at some point
>betta dies a couple months later
Never really understood her logic for downgrading the tank.

Some time later
>sister wants fish tank for Christmas
>conveniently, another friend's mom has 20 gallon tank she doesn't want anymore
>set it up with PFS, spare plants and driftwood of mine, a silver molly, three sparkling gourami, ghost shrimp, and some feeder guppies
>she's iffy about feeding, rarely does any maintenance
>several months pass
>silver molly dies, ghost shrimp die, one guppy left, tank is murky
>finally tear down the tank and take it off her hands
>one guppy and one gourami survivor
>>
>>2107522
Two-ish years after that
>sister's birthday coming up, she wants to try a tank again
>"well, she's older now, maybe this will go better"
>set up a 5 gallon planted tank with betta and nerite
>goes well at first, but gradually goes downhill
>every once in a while I visit to find the water level dangerously low, cyanobacteria is beginning to take over the tank, filter is chronically clogged
>betta starts looking like shit, but hangs on for a total of 5 or 6 months
>she unplugs everything and stops doing anything with the tank, water level gets down to about 6 inches
>I break down the tank eventually and amazingly find the nerite snail still alive
>>
>>2107522
>>2107524
shitty fishkeepers do make a good supply of cheap tanks though.

my aunt's giving me her tank when she inevitably kills her minnows
>>
>>2107524
Did you ever explain to your sister how she's being stupid
>>
>>2107558
She knows, and she knows better than to want another tank.
>>
>>2107563
if we barred everyone that ever killed some fish from having a tank this hobby would've died out a long time ago.

where do you guys think good fish keepers come from if not the ranks of shitty ones?

What if... bear with me here,
what if YOU were shitty fish keepers in someone else's opinion?

that would be a trip. but there's no way that could be true, right?
>>
>>2107565
Defensive much?
I'm not the one telling her not to keep a tank again, is that's what you're implying. She fully understands that she isn't responsible enough at this point to properly take care of one and she doesn't have any desire to have another tank right now.
If she wants to try setting up another tank in the future on her dime, I'll trust her judgement and help her through it again.
>>
>>2107570
>Defensive much?
no, I was actually laughing.

the premise of "shit ____ owners" is just funny. So full of ego, but still so completely lacking in self-awareness. Doesn't matter what animal we're talking about.

it's pretty funny when you think about it.
>>
>>2107580
I think the characteristic of a shit owner comes when either you refuse to acknowledge that you're not giving the animals proper care, or you do acknowledge it, but refuse to "call it quits" and just give the fish away while they're at least still alive.
>>
>>2107590
I understand that.
I'm also quite certain you believe YOU are giving your pets adequate care.

Others wouldn't agree though, and if someone came to you and said your tank is too small you need at least 500 gallons, your fish should be living 20 years not the five you give them, would you agree and give your fish up or would you laugh at them and keep right on doing what you want and can afford?

would you give your pets up if someone better at keeping them said you should?
>>
I think my snail might be dead. I've had him for three days, and he's floating at the top of the tank. I took him out to check on him, and he was fine. Five minutes later he wasn't tight in his shell. Any snailfags have advice?
>>
>>2107593
really tiny CPR.
>>
>>2107593
Does he smell? Have you tried flipping him and dropping him at the bottom of the tank?

Does he just fall off the shell when you pick it up?
>>
>>2107595
Just came back to the room, he's attached himself to the wall of the quarantine tank.

Little fucker had me worried.
>>
>>2107596
nice.
probably just got a fart trapped in his shell.
>>
>>2107598
Just put him back into main tank. Looks like he's gonna continue his floating antics for a while, but at least I know he's alive.
>>
>>2107594
10/10
>>
>>2107592
You're arguing the difference between providing a level of care that most people consider adequate and providing one that nobody considers adequate. And your hypothetical situation doesn't remotely apply to any of the situations I described. If someone has a reasonably defensible reason to keep an animal the way they do, I can generally respect that.

Imagine you have a cousin who kept a dog locked in a kennel in his back yard that he frequently neglects to feed, walk, or interact with. Then, a decade later, he gets another dog and takes fantastic care of it. That doesn't make the way he treated his previous dog any less shitty, and neglecting his first dog sure as hell didn't make him a better owner for the second.

tl;dr results aren't what determines shit pet ownership, effort is.
>>
File: 1426926324783.jpg (85 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
1426926324783.jpg
85 KB, 540x960
>>2107636
>>
>>2107636
>You're arguing the difference between providing a level of care that most people consider adequate and providing one that nobody considers adequate
your experience with pet owners is severely biased then.

essentially nobody cares if someone kills off a few $3 fish.

nobody.

except /an/.

and that's where it becomes funny. You guys get together and bask in your superiority to everyone else and gloat about how great you are.

all the while other forums would be shocked at how tiny the average tank is here, and how pleb tier most of the fish and equipment are.

Now I don't mean to mock your efforts at keeping fish, then I'd be just as bad as you. What I'm mocking is /an/'s sense of superiority and complete ignorance that even better ways are out there and lots of people are using them.

You're taking it all personal because I tagged your post, but make no mistake, I laugh at lots of people here, not just you. It does get less funny when I have to explain it to you though.
>>
>>2107636
>tl;dr results aren't what determines shit pet ownership, effort is.
lazy people can't be good owners?

most of the technology of modern fishkeeping is aimed directly at lazy people.
>>
>>2107266
I have an honest to god question... How do you siphon the substrate with an aquarium set up like this? Do you have to use an under gravel filter?
>>
>>2107649
Not him but fish shit makes good plant fertilizer.

I'd guess people with plants aren't in the habit of vacuuming gravel.
>>
>>2107636
>tl;dr results aren't what determines shit pet ownership, effort is.

How would you rate this picture?
>>
>sliver arowana and Asian arowana look exactly the same.
>one costs £20 the other £1000

Hmmm
>>
>>2107642
/an/ is a hugbox for people that get rejected from regular animal and nature related forums because they have little to nothing to add to them in terms of material and aren't educated enough to give advise.

the funny thing is how hostile they are towards people that actually know what they're talking about, they've chased away pretty much everyone that made some sort of contribution to the board and now all they're left with is dumb cat/dog threads and memeshrimp.
>>
>>2107683
Memeshrimp?
>>
>>2107649
you don't vacuum the gravel really
>>
File: 9119iNMIusL._SX425_.jpg (35 KB, 425x319) Image search: [Google]
9119iNMIusL._SX425_.jpg
35 KB, 425x319
Just bought a vampire shrimp
>>
File: 1426526860459.jpg (25 KB, 711x273) Image search: [Google]
1426526860459.jpg
25 KB, 711x273
>Recently had a lot of my shrimp die due to slight increase in Ammonia
>Find shrimp alive in my cannister filter

But that's where all the ammonia is
>>
>>2107694
they are cool and i used to want one but couldn't find them back then. now i see them at shops regularly but i don't want to deal with a filter feeder, go figure.
>>
>>2107649
With this kind of substrate you do not clean or siphon or it will cloud up the water. Shrimp and snails help keep it clean.
>>
>>2107642
Okay, so you're saying that /an/ is really plebby and has no room to talk about being shitty owners.
In context, it sounds like you're saying that absolutely no level of selfish and dispassionate pet care can be justifiably reprimanded, which is the part I disagree with.
Also, criticizing people isn't the same as singing your own praises. That's basic debate.
>>
So how long until coraline algae grow?

Just started a new tank with dead rock, still cycling. Using Red Sea mix to make the saltwater.
>>
Honest question, how do I clean a tank that's completely full of shrimp?
>>
>>2107783
With a siphon? just chase them away with it and you can pinch the hose if you need to cut or reduce the flow but a few little ones might get sucked up in which case you can probably just scoop back into the tank.
>>
>>2107799
>few little ones might get sucked up in which case you can probably just scoop back into the tank.
This. You aren't going to hurt your shrimp by accidentally siphoning them into a bucket and immediately putting them back in the tank. You could also just hold a net over either end of the siphon.
>>
>>2107447
>conditions aren't miserable.
>common goldfish need at least 100 gallons to themselves, preferably should be kept in ponds.
>definitely not miserable.
>definitely not stunted.
>>
>>2107818
I thought the standard was 30 gallons? Or is that for fancies only?

Well, then again, there's this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2265417/What-fish-tale-Man-catches-3lb-15-inch-goldfish-Michigan-lake.html
>>
File: 1401830983106.jpg (101 KB, 399x388) Image search: [Google]
1401830983106.jpg
101 KB, 399x388
>Want to do some quick light maintenance on aquarium
>Something breaks and you are now spending an hour diagnosing faults and trying to get shit to work

Why does this ALWAYS FUCKING HAPPEN.

Canister filters are currently the bane of my fucking existance.

You clean them out, then they refuse to prime then they'll leak everywhere and then you're mopping up the floor FUCK OFF
>>
File: DSCF3569.jpg (515 KB, 2624x1968) Image search: [Google]
DSCF3569.jpg
515 KB, 2624x1968
Is it ever possible to scape something like this well?

It's too large to scape it like a nano and it's not long enough for Iwagumi
>>
>>2107565
of course mistakes happen and fish die, but not researching before buying an animal and then not put effort into taking care of said animal is bad.
>>
>>2107837
yea bitch get your creative juices flowing
>>
>Want to rescape
>Pull up all plants in preparation
>Water now so cloudy I can't see

How do you get around this?
>>
File: 03b.png (121 KB, 400x381) Image search: [Google]
03b.png
121 KB, 400x381
>trying to lay our your filter and heater so they're not visible but still functioning correctly while also having to make sure that the filter outlet is pointed at something your bamboo shrimp can climb
>>
>>2107879
wait for it to settle
duh
>>
File: leangryfrog.jpg (49 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
leangryfrog.jpg
49 KB, 900x900
>>2107882
>Need to hide your heater behind stem plants
>Need to point filter at heater so it works properly
>Stem plants blown about and uprooted
>>
>>2107889
>need to point filter at heater so it works properly
So is it bad I have my filter and heater on opposite sides of the tank?
>>
I bought a cuttlebone for my shrimp tank because they keep failing to molt right and die. Should I put it in the filter or just in the tank?
>>
>>2107890
No, not as long as your filter is pushing water into it.
>>
>>2107879
Do a small water change while rescaping, and hold the siphon right next to the substrate where you're uprooting plants.
>>
>>2107683
I agree.
I can't think of anything to add to that, except that I think it's funny and I come here to laugh about it.
>>2107778
>criticizing people isn't the same as singing your own praises
people that know they suck don't usually criticize others. And I'm not just saying /an/ sucks at keeping fish - I'm saying EVERYONE sucks at it in some way, and basic human humility should remind you of that.

but it doesn't and that's funny.
>>2107866
>not researching before buying an animal and then not put effort into taking care of said animal is bad.
if you say so. I've never actually met anyone that researches $3 fish before buying them.
>>2107780
the conditions have to be right, and then it will take a few weeks or months.

first you need essentially 0 nitrate and phosphate. Usually low to medium light including actinic. And finally you need some coralline algae in the tank as starter material. This usually comes from a chunk of live rock. You can scrape the coralline from the rock and let it scatter as dust around the tank to speed things up.
>>
>>2107909
>the conditions have to be right
I forgot a big one- calcium has to be sufficient. If you're not going to test it you might want to be using Purple Up or some similar product.
>>
File: iris.jpg (682 KB, 1600x1059) Image search: [Google]
iris.jpg
682 KB, 1600x1059
>>2107909
why do you post here though, there's only like two people with salt water tanks.

that and 99% meme tier fish/ shrimp and that one anime retard that keeps avatar fagging and never contributes to anything ever.
>>
>>2107926
>why do you post here though, there's only like two people with salt water tanks
I don't just keep saltwater.
>>
>>2107929
figured, but I doubt you're interested in shrimp and java moss.
>>
File: 1431893600241.jpg (175 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1431893600241.jpg
175 KB, 800x600
>>2107926
>'and that one anime retard that keeps avatar fagging'
>you
>again
>still believing standard reaction images are "avatar fagging"
>still getting that assmad over reaction images
>still getting assmad over something that happened about four or five threads ago
Yuck.
>>
>>2107931
the underlying principles are universal.
>>
>>2107933
>you
>again
it's not just him.
>>
>>2107933
no one likes you, it's not a single person.
>>
File: 1431091528968.jpg (88 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1431091528968.jpg
88 KB, 800x600
>>2107889
>not putting an airstone under your heater instead
Anon, pls. Unless you hate the noise of aristones, it works great. And even then, you can buy quiet air pumps.

Pic related

>>2107832
Happened to me >>2107133 Fucking hate them, but love them at the same time, it's an awful feeling. Just ordered a new seal for it, hopefully that will fix it.

>>2107935
>>2107937
>it's not just him.
He's the only anon I see who posts about 'muh avatarfag boogeyman' I doubt there are multiple anons who consistently stay this angry for this length of time.

And as for 'never contributes to anything ever', I've been the OP for the last two threads, I not only contribute to the threads, I create them. If you'd care to 'contribute' and do something more important than shitpost about users on 4Chan that you dislike, then go ahead, but at the moment, you're the ones who seem to be not contributing anything and merely adding to the post limit, just as everyone did when they kept replying to the tripfag and refused to filter him. Please refrain from embarrassing yourselves any further, It's fairly cringey to be honest.
>>
>>2107946
> I not only contribute to the threads, I create them.
that explains why they've been so bad lately.
>>
File: IMG_20160424_170309.jpg (4 MB, 3120x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160424_170309.jpg
4 MB, 3120x4160
>>2107083 here.

Speak of the devil, I got this little surprise after work. No one had told me about it, but after digging around I found out the room mate gave it to me. Apparently her little brother would play 'flapjack' with his betta fish (a game in which the fish is taken out with a net and flung into the air and caught again) so she gave it to me.

He's a cute little fucker, but you wouldn't know from the shitty picture.
>>
>>2107946
>He's the only anon I see who posts about 'muh avatarfag boogeyman'
you're assuming.

I'm the first anon to complain about your avatarfagging way back in the day. I think you got banned for it and I didn't report you so a few others must have if that's the case.

I am also not all the people itt complaining of it.

I'm not mad about it though, nor do I necessarily dislike you because unless you're avatarfagging I don't know which posts are yours.

I appreciate you not doing it, whether you consider it avatarfagging or not. And I appreciate you posting and contributing to /aq/ threads.
>>
>>2107955
>unless you're avatarfagging I don't know which posts are yours.

he's the guy that always writes like he got his toes stepped on.
>>
>>2107649
You don't, you just let the fish shit filter through and become fertiliser. I don't really see the point in ever siphoning gravel if you own plants.

>>2107952
Yes, because an image and "[insert edition here] Edition" in the OP 100% determines the quality of the threads, great meme my friend. And in any case, the quality of /aq/ generals has began to improve since the tripfags finally left.

>>2107955
>'complain'
That's the issue. Why complain? Why dedicate posts to merely shitposting about something that a user posted months ago and hasn't posted ever since? There's no need to degrade the quality of the thread for off-topic personal dislikes. I just don't understand why anons remain so irritated by something so insignificant for such a long time, it genuinely puzzles me.

>tfw severum pair already showing spawning behaviour after only two days of being together.
Aw yus, no idea why everyone says severum breeding is fairly difficult, I guess it's because of the sexing and pairing. I'll hopefully get some pictures soon.
>>
>>2107979
>the quality of /aq/ generals has began to improve

more samefagging isn't an improvement.
>>
>>2107983
I agree with him insofar as we don't have an insulting tripfag shitting on every tank that's posted.

I could be wrong but I think that was depressing post speed and number of individual posters. Time will tell.

these threads also do better when I'm not in them. When things pick up a bit I'll go back to lurking mostly.
>>
>>2107988
I can't remember that ever happening.
>>
>>2107989
90% chance you're the tripfag I'm talking about then.

10% chance your internet went out for a month.
>>
>>2107990
I don't lurk /an/ all too often, and this is actually the first time I'm posting in a /aq/ thread.

you got any screenshots? I'm curious.
>>
File: 1451901013835.jpg (26 KB, 500x259) Image search: [Google]
1451901013835.jpg
26 KB, 500x259
>>2107983
>samefagging
What are you talking about? Are you upset that less anons are tripfagging? Are you genuinely irritated that anons are actually anonymous? Well buddy, if that annoys you, I'd suggest a site which is probably better suited towards your needs, it's called 'reddit', it's fairly famous, I think you'll be able to find it relatively easy.

Unless you actually are ila and are merely buttblasted that you probably got banned.

>>2107989
>'I can't remember that ever happening.'
If you're able to remember my smug anime faces, you'll remember ila. Unless, as I stated earlier, you are the tripfag in question.

>>2107993
Check the old thread.

>want to set up 100gal planted tank
>waiting for lights to be delivered
Eternal suffering.
>>
>>2107993

>>2106098
etc.
>>
>>2107994
I've never seen anyone with the name 'Ila' post on /an/ before, but I'll check the old thread.
>>
>>2107995
I just read the last thread, pretty funny.
>>
>>2108000
the funny part to me was ila refused to post her tanks after repeated requests.

in fact the one time she posted a shot of her tank was like a month ago, and anons shit all over it. That day a supervillain was born.
>>
>>2108004
do you still have the image of her tank?

also, it doesn't appear as if she'd be much of a problem if people would just stop replying to her, it's mostly the people replying that derailed the last thread.
>>
>>2107832
what filters are you using? never had that problem before.
>>
>>2107837
you could do a lot with that tank, i would search google for what other people have done with similar sized tanks.
>>
File: 20160424_164736.jpg (806 KB, 992x1312) Image search: [Google]
20160424_164736.jpg
806 KB, 992x1312
>>2107818
He's in a lage tank and grew from the size of w white eraser to the size of a softball.

I think you have no idea what you are talking about and are just mad because I have a healthy fish in a tank without live plants.
>>
>>2108006
>do you still have the image of her tank?
no, the thread she posted in was deleted a couple minutes after I saw it, and I had no idea at the time that the poor tripfag suffering all that bullying would then turn to bullying others.

as I recall the tank wasn't that bad. planted and driftwood, maybe a 55.
>>
>>2107818

I would like to add you can easily tell if a goldfish is suffering mentaly, if he was miserable he would be lathargic, his fins would always be collapsed, his color would be dull and he would graze.

As it stands his color is strong he's always grazing and active during the day and his fins are fantastic.

I've had him for 8 years do you really think I haven't done any reserch on his specific needs? If so you might be an idiot.
>>
>>2108007
Fluval 305
>>
File: 20160424_170640.jpg (1 MB, 1692x1069) Image search: [Google]
20160424_170640.jpg
1 MB, 1692x1069
>>2107827
30 gl is alright for smaller ones.

My bud started out no bigger than a white eraser and was a feeder for crayfish so he was in a 30 gl, but he grew and kept growing so I transfer him to an 80 gl, and he's still growing (as they grow depending on theit container) so dispite what >>2107818 says he's not stunted and show all the behaviour of a happy healthy goldfish.

However I will be getting him a 100 gl or 120 gl eventually as the fatass keeps growing.

Also with a larger tank I'll try a large live plant he and the apple snail can't eat in one sitting.
>>
File: 088.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
088.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
haven't done a water change only been adding once or twice a month to replenish what was lost from evaporation haven't had a problem since i swapped into this newer 20 gal from one that got cracked been making money selling of the fry to friends and family too
>>
>>2107783
when I recently changed my substrate I specifically used the siphon to catch the shrimp, little bastards are hard to catch with a net
>>
>>2108041
once you get a larger tank, I'd recommend floating plants such as water lettuce, I don't think gold fish would eat them. I'd also get a second gold fish, carp are social animals and while they don't school or shoal, they definitely need social interaction with their own species. you should preferably keep 3+, but that's kinda impossible without a pond.
>>
>>2108080
Yeah I've always felt bad about not getting him friends, at this point he's been on his own for a while and theirs a chance he would react badly to others. Goldfish have odd minds, he has an apple snail but he probably views it more as a motile rock and possible food item.
>>
File: goldfishbowl.jpg (15 KB, 450x423) Image search: [Google]
goldfishbowl.jpg
15 KB, 450x423
>hey anon, look at my new goldfish! he looks so happy!
>>
>>2108036
never used a fluval but have heard of people having similar issues with them. personally i've only delt with marineland, rena and eheims and never had an issue with them. so far my favor has been the eheim though
>>
File: P4240029 (800x600).jpg (225 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
P4240029 (800x600).jpg
225 KB, 800x600
hiya /aq/ today I'm cutting the old seals out of my big tank for a reseal job.

have a pic of one of my corner seals, you can see why I'm replacing them. they're freakin' 'uge.
>>
>>2106880
kek
>>2107593
I'm assuming he's a mystery snail, they have this dormant period for some reason. Unless your water is bothering it I would place him somewhere comfortable until he stops floating.
>>2108091
What type of catfish is that? That doesn't look like any ordinary otocinclus.
>>
>>2108090
Are you going to be butthurt the rest of the thread because you where slapped down by the goldfish guy? Looking at his tank although messy it looks alright for his fish. Comparing a well furnished open tank with a barron small fishbowl is a pretty dumb tactic.
>>
>>2106846
>They're supposed to be like a calmer version of CPOs.
Thank you. Could I keep them with some ghost shrimp and maybe some snails? How many cajuns can I keep in a 10 gallon?
>>
Is zero nitrates bad for a heavily planted tank?
>>
>>2106891
What about species with lifespans naturally shorter than 3 years?
>>
>>2108109
Hypoptopoma gulare from the look of it.

>>2108087
Eh, I had a silver dollar that I got from a friend who had it for 11 years on it's own. I donated it to a local aquarium and he seems fine with the red hooks and schools with them a bit.

You never know, I'd at least try it with another gold fish, if it doesn't work out, you can always take it back to the shop.
>>
File: 20160424_164650.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160424_164650.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
>>2108122
I tried to keep it orderly but he digs up ornaments like a backhoe.

>>2108147
Yeah I'll see how he does when he gets his larger tank, he's my bro so I don't want to disturb him too much.
>>
>>2108090
Just relax anon, just because I don't put live plants in his tank dosnt mean I'm a goldfish Hitler.
>>
>>2108134
Not as bad as many people make it sound, but your plants will benefit from more nitrate in the tank. Dose potassium nitrate. As long as your nitrates are under 40ppm, most freshwater fish will be perfectly fine.
>>
Is Dwarf Sag easy to grow in a low tech aquarium?
>>
>>2108109

not sure the exact species but was sold to me as a "giant otto" it could have been a Hypoptopoma gulare, as >>2108147
suggested, or another related species. sadly i don't have this tank any more as i broke it down and sold everything when i went back to school.
>>
>>2108182
I'm using substrate fertilizers, so far some of the leaves on my Dwarf Sag are yellowing, but others have amazingly strong leaves.
>>
Why are schooling fish more prone to stress and disease when kept in small quantities/alone? Are they supposedly encouraging themselves to live?
>fish have suicidal tendencies
>>
>>2106885
You could try marimo moss balls. Marimo moss is technically a type of freshwater algae, and I hear it's virtually impossible for fish to eat.

The benefit of marimo moss balls is that you can split them open and use cotton string to attach them to all kinds of things.
>>
>>2107818
Most records for "longest lived goldfish" tend to come from people keeping them in 10-20 gallon tanks, it seems. Goldfish well-being isn't all that straightforward, nor does it always make a whole lot of sense.

>>2108024
>I've had him for 8 years do you really think I haven't done any reserch on his specific needs?
My boyfriend kept one in a ten gallon for eleven years without knowing jack shit about them. Like I said above...
>>
>>2108095
YO! How's it going buddy?
>>
>>2108195
>"There's nobody else here. That means there's something out there eating all the other fish!"
>freaking out
>>
Anyone have experience with UV sterilizers? i have an aquapro1800 that has a slot for a UV bulb but I've never use one
>>
File: IMG_1035.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1035.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
also probably a stupid question, but do canister filters have to be filled all the way to be effective?

pic related: should i fill the gaps?
>>
>>2108235
Going good, thanks! I got one more long bottom seal to cut out and I think I'll call it a day. After that I got the final scraping to do then I can start resealing. At the rate I'm working I should be done in a year! lol
>>2108253
I've always used them on my tanks without knowing if they work. So this last tank I set up in my office I skipped it. About 6 months in my water starts getting cloudy. I'm not sure if it's bacteria or the salt mix I'm using, so I let it go. I figured it's the salt mix because my skimmer should remove bacteria...

so one day the water is so cloudy I can't see through it and water changes aren't helping. So I decided to hook up my UV. I turn it on overnight. Sure enough, next morning my water is crystal clear again. So now I'm back to running it full time.
>>
ila here...

Wow are you guys butthurt. What ridiculous about all this tripfag hate is the utter garbage that gets spewn here without any opposition. There's so many posts in this thread that I'd love to tear apart but people just turn around and quote Google to me as if Google is a successful fishkeeper.

Then the people telling me I should post more pictures of my tanks? I ALREADY DID AND PEOPLE HAD NOTHING BUT GOOD THINGS TO SAY. So I put on a trip and now everybody hates me. Bunch of fucking losers, the lot of you.

Btw who the fuck keeps goldfish in glass tanks? You know what a pond is, peabrain? Those fuckers will live decades.

Btw it's obvious to anybody that has kept pondfish that fish isn't 8 years old you fucking twat.

Can't believe you faggots are so inexperienced you'd believe that shit for a minute.
>>
File: IMG_20160424_231151.jpg (1 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160424_231151.jpg
1 MB, 4160x2340
Nomfest, featuring cameos by a planaria and a scud.
>>
>>2108308
>ila here
>doesnt have trip on
>isn't typing in a smug and passive aggressive way
suuuuuuure buddy
>>
>>2108308
You're such a toxic cunt. Good riddance.
>>
>>2108308
I've had him for 8 years, he was smaller than a white eraser when I got him. I don't care what you choose to belive he was an accident that lasted for years and he's my bro
>>
>>2108308
Also he's not in a pond because he was originaly a feeder, i had no intention of him outliving the crayfish and I don't have a pond to put him in.

Also he's pretty and I like watching him dig and stuff.
>>
>>2108330
That goldfish is less than 1 year old and you know it.

Assuming it is, I fact, 8 years old, the proportions are hideously fucking wrong! There's all kinds of abhorrent goldfish abominations like bubbles and telescopes etc - and your fish looks worse off than any of them! Also, how in the fuck did you decide telling people that goldfish ate your plants was a good idea? If your goldfish is eating plants than that motherfucker is merely trying to get your attention, trying to show you the sad horrible existence he is living (for the past EIGHT MONTHS.)
>>2108332
>also he's not in a pond because he was a feeder
WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT YOU DIMWITTED PIECE OF SHIT

Here's my tripcode btw
>>
>>2108332
>also he's pretty and I like watching him dig and stuff

!!!!!!
>>
>>2108342
So you are just a troll or what? He's 8 and he eats plants because that's what goldfish do.

I think you may be on the wrong board anon

>>>/b/ is more your speed.
>>
>>2108342
dude goldfish eat plants it just what they do, calm down.
>>
so the gf and i just got this 54g tank, she set up the water and all the live plants as well as the filtration(40g filter, we're planning on some corys down the line and maybe some guaramis. the water's still clearing up, which apparently the lady bought some clarifier and is letting that do its magic for a bit. all ph and nitrate levels seem to be pretty normal right now. we're thinking of introducing a new group of fish within a few days. ideally the corys, or i personally want a few angelfish in there eventually. any recommendations? what do you guys think so far?
>>
>>2108365
not bad what type of filter are you running? also you have some terrestrial plants in there it looks like. i know the one in the in front of the heater in the middle is non-aquatic and i think the ones on the left side could be too(though it gets confusing with those ferns)
>>
>>2108367
well, we got all the plants from petco and we bought them from this like, community tank where they keep "aquatic" plants, so ideally they're actually aquatic lol.
marineland emperor 280 was the exact filter we picked up. the group we have in there right now is 6 silvertail tetras. do you think it'd be smarter to wait for corys until we have at least 2 groups in there? how do you feel about angelfish? sorry, i'm annoying. just trying to get a feel for where to go from where we are
>>
>>2108368
Not the one you replying to, but in terms of introducing fish, I'd rather introduce small groups, than all at once, allows the tank to balance out and you are able to handle compatibility/health problems when they arise instead of mixing it all up and see what happens.
>>
>>2108368
>so ideally they're actually aquatic lol.
they're not.
>>
>>2108368
>so ideally they're actually aquatic
Just because it's not rotting or melting now doesn't mean it's completely aquatic.
>>
>there's two tripfags in this thread
fucking filtered
>>
File: hehehe.jpg (120 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
hehehe.jpg
120 KB, 500x333
>>2108390
>filtered
>>
>>2108364
>>2108344
Goldfish eat plants when they are unhappy and trapped in a small space with no companions.

That goldfish isn't 8 years old either, or else it's severely stunted.
>>
>>2108405
>still trying to troll without the ID
>thinks we won't notice

>>>/b/
>>
File: 1439692917883.jpg (7 KB, 208x242) Image search: [Google]
1439692917883.jpg
7 KB, 208x242
>>2108122
>>2108156

jeez. i've never posted on /an/ before so i don't know what you two are talking about

why so defensive?
>>
File: giant_french_goldfish.jpg (63 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
giant_french_goldfish.jpg
63 KB, 500x333
>>2108405
Sure thing m8 I r8 8/8
>>
>>2108308
Literally every single thing you've ever said on this board is wrong, rude, and insulting, and you always get nuclearly assmad whenever someone calls you out on being a braindead moron. Very few people here actually care about you using a trip. Vayeate gets along fine aside from one or two anons giving him a hard time. No, the reason people so utterly despise you is because you're a gutterdrain cesspool of human garbage.

If anyone was complimenting your tanks before, it's because THEY HAD NO WAY OF KNOWING WHAT A RUDE BITCH WAS BEHIND THEM. You're fucking delusional.
>>
>>2108412
>Goldfish
>Barbels
That's a carp with the orange color mutation
>>
File: 20160425_070208.png (124 KB, 991x491) Image search: [Google]
20160425_070208.png
124 KB, 991x491
>>2108422
And what family of fish do goldfish belong too?
>>
>>2108368
If you wanna add angels, rather take some time to let the tank become stable. I know many captive bred angels are quite hardy (unless you think about altums) but I wouldn't push it when there's no need. Rather introduce them in 1-2 months.
>>
>>2108428
It's also the same family of fish where this guy comes from...
>>
>>2108430
That fish isn't in the carp family

Goldfish are as the Chinese made goldfish through selective breeding of carp.

Same with Lou the Japanese made them from carp as well.

Science is fun.

Trolling /an/ might also be fun but I have yet to try.
>>
>>2108432
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 64

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.