[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any idea what the fuck is wrong with my roommate's dog?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: 20160420_091252.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20160420_091252.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1152
Any idea what the fuck is wrong with my roommate's dog? He wont stop biting himself on his back and tail, and i noticed dry skin on his face yesterday so i think thus shit is spreading. He's had this condition his whole life apparently. He's half lab, half pitbull and im scared he's going to chew hinself to death when the heat of summer rolls around
>>
File: 20160420_091227.jpg (863 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20160420_091227.jpg
863 KB, 2048x1152
>>
>>2105174
>>2105176
Looks like early-on sarcoptic mange, but it could be a slew of things. Tell your retard roommate to take that poor thing to the vet or give it to somebody who will
>>
>>2105191
Not that, as its not contagious. She says vets have told her theres nothing to be done about this, but there has to be fuckin something thus poor dog i feel so bad for him.
>>
it can be an allergic reaction due to his diet
>>
>>2105174
Allergic to fleas maybe. Or to his food, as the other Anon said. I've seen a cat with a flea allergy and that poor fucker was a miserable mess.

If a vet actually thinks there's "nothing to be done" it's because the vet knows what the problem is, and your friend would know also. So something isn't right here. One of three things is happening: 1.) it hasn't ACTUALLY been diagnosed by a vet 2.) the treatment options are unattractive for some reason (too expensive, difficult) or 3.) the vet hasn't figured out the cause yet and the dog's owner ran out of funds/giveadamn to continue diagnostics.

I'm going with #1. I think your room-mate lied about "vets" telling her there's "nothing to be done".
>>
>>2105237
Agree with this. She os probably lying about taking the dog to the vet.
>>
>>2105237
yea, it looks a bit like my cat who is allergic to fleas. that would be the easiest to treat, as you can just put a flea collar or something similar on him for the rest of his life, and give him something against the itching while the first flea treatment hasn't killed all the fleas yet
>>
>>2105197
visit another vet please
apparently hers is shit>>2105237
>>
>>2105283
that last quotation was a missclick
>>
>>2105176
it's deninetly an infection, whether a bacterial one or not. Might be a fungus, a parasite like leishmaniasis, an allergic reaction or something else, please visit a qualified vet who knows a lot about dermatology and don't just ask stuff like this on the internet.

If one tells you, he doesn't know, visit another one

please do it now, it could also be potentially dangerous!
>>
First thing, if the dog is biting itself and making it worse, put a cone on the dogs neck until the irritation goes away. The biting is making it worse and can lead to infection.

Bathe the dog frequently (once a week) with oatmeal-based shampoo to add skin moisture and reduce irritation.

What kind of food does it eat? Try switching to a different type of meat or reducing or eliminating grains and/or yeast from the dogs diet. Could be a food allergy. Also, adding oil such as olive or coconut oil to their food will help with their skin and fur.

Does the dog have fleas? If so, treat with the drops. Do not use flea shampoo or dips since they tend to dry out the skin and that is the last thing that dog needs.
>>
>>2105174
alopecia maybe? he could be having a reaction to something in the yard, too. either way, get his ass to the vet asap
>>
>>2105174
Ideally get the dog to a vet and get it properly diagnosed and treated.

Had a dog get demodectic mange and it looked a lot like that.
>>
>>2105174
thats mange mate
>>
>>2106076
How to fix
>>
>>2107333
Medication from vet.
>>
>>2105174
A friends dog had it, he has fleas. He bites himself and pulls the hair out in the process, which is why the hair is missing in places he can get to.

Get a good flea killer.
>>
>>2107338
Whats the med called? I can get meds for cheap overseas
>>
>>2107472
Frontline Plus
>>
mange, allergies, or yeasty skin
>>
Could be either or both of two things: allergies or mange. Either way, the dog needs a vet ASAP.
>>
THE DOG HAS FLEASSSSSSS. WHAT COUNTRY DO YOU LIVE IN OP I CAN HEEEELP YOU
>>
>>2105174
full disclosure, I didn't read the thread.

This is the time of year when dogs with allergies start showing it. Usually appears as little scabby things. Can be treated OTC with Zyrtec (1mg per kilogram every 24 hours).

Google and see if the symptoms line up.
>>
File: peewee2.png (659 KB, 616x555) Image search: [Google]
peewee2.png
659 KB, 616x555
>>2105174

It looks like flea allergy + poor nutrition, which is evident from how skinny the dog is. (He's not dangerously underweight, but visibly a little under)

These are the shelter pictures of my dog, Pee-Wee. He came in with a flea allergy and poor living conditions. See how he's chewed away at his legs and tail. This picture is after he'd been in treatment for a month or so.

He looks great now. I would recommend a combination of natural oatmeal shampoo baths and better nutrition. When Pee-Wee came into our lives I switched both of my small dogs to 1 scoop of diamond dog food and 1/4 large can of science diet food twice a day. I noticed good changes in my other dog pretty quickly. I do it that way because I can't afford to feed them just wet food, so I give them 2 servings of wet food a day to get good nutrition, and then give them a good dry food to fill themselves and get the rest of their calories.
>>
>>2110001
That dog is not underweight, your dog is overweight and underconditioned
>>
>>2110649
>That dog is not underweight, your dog is overweight and underconditioned

This is something that most people do know. Cats, for example? You should be able to see the outline of their ribs if they're just standing there. When most people (Americans, of course) look at a cat and see ribs, their first thought is animal abuse. That is absolutely healthy and means the cat is getting a fantastic amount of exercise and stimulation.

I have a 90lb great pyr circling around me with sleek curves, especially in the lower abdomen. She looks a lot faster than her slow ass is. I had a neighbor comment on her being underweight .... she had this Labrador next to her that was shaped like a loaf of bread (no curves). If she wasn't my neighbor, I would have told her what she was doing to her dog. Whatever. Not my problem.
>>
>>2110649

>comparing body condition of a corgi to a lab

oh ok
>>
>>2105174
psoriasis
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.