[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A stray cat decided to have kittens in my yard. I just discovered
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 12
File: image.jpg (174 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
174 KB, 600x400
A stray cat decided to have kittens in my yard. I just discovered them today, I saw them from afar on the side of my house in an area I never go to. There are three of them, and I'm guessing they're about 4 weeks old. They are still nursing.

I have no idea what to do. None of us in the house has ever owned a cat, and one of us is allergic. Plus we have two dogs, who also have never lived with cats. I called several cat rescue groups near me and none of them are accepting any animals. I moved here from across the country not too long ago so I don't know anyone to give them to. I know they're almost guranteed to get euthanized if I call animal control. Any suggestions?
>>
Call animal control and have them euthanized.

It sounds cruel, but it's the kindest available option if you want to actively involve yourself and you're not willing to take them in yourself.

What kind of life will they have, since no animal rescue groups are accepting new strays and no one you know can give them a home? Not a very good one. They can be picked up and beaten by not-very-nice people. They can get hit by a car or caught by a dog or fox or some other predator. Stray cats do not live very good lives, and the lives they DO live only create more stray cats to live more sad lives.

Unless there's a TNR program running in your area, this is your best option.
>>
>>2100284
>They can be picked up and beaten by not-very-nice people. They can get hit by a car or caught by a dog or fox or some other predator. Stray cats do not live very good lives

>Unless there's a TNR program running in your area
TNR won't keep any of that shit from happening anyways, you know.
>>
>>2100284

This. I just had a stray young cat die in my arms from severe worms a few days ago and it was terrible. Its stomach was all bloated and it was meowing softly in pain( which is why I found it) and even though my local rescue could take it, it died before I could get there. Even if they end up being euthanized, they'll have a couple days of food and warmth and love and die quickly, which is a lot better than what happened to the cat I found
>>
>>2100274
Feed them until you can find someone to take care of them
>>
If you want to keep them (even short term) you could set up a kennel, or if you have a shed let them stay in there with some blankets. Put out some food/water bowls (not too close or they might not drink). When you get the chance, take them all to the vets and make sure they're at least sterilized to ensure it doesn't happen again.
>>
>>2100284
One of the rescue groups I looked up has a number for a TNR program, and I'll call them in the morning. My housing development has a Facebook page so perhaps I'll post about them there, if they seem tame enough to be adoptable.

There are 3 or 4 stray cats in my neighborhood, not including the kittens. The kittens' mom is the stray that has always seemed the most tame/friendly of all of them. Perhaps there's hope for them after all? I'd take them in myself if I didn't have an allergic person in the house, and if there weren't, you know, three kittens and a cat versus one or two animals.
>>
Maybe I'll take a lucky shot and ask if you're in AZ, and you'll say yes and I'll say I'll take them?
>>
>>2100412
Yes!!!!! Holy crap. East Valley area aka southeast of Pheonix. Where are you?
>>
>>2100570
Glendale. This is weird anon. Post pic of kitty. I may get him.
>>
>>2100570
Actually text or call 623. 349,2634. Ill get them, and the mother.
>>
>>2100574
They aren't out and about at the moment, but I did see the mom through a window this morning so I'm assuming they're still here. I set up a dummy email, drop me a line at [email protected] and we can talk more.
>>
>>2100274
Just leave them there. If they are 4 weeks old they are doing fine.
>>
>>2100274
BTK, OP
>>
>>2100284
>TNR maymays
>because fuck native species
All feral, stray, and outdoor cats should be euthanized.
>>
>>2100614
kys my man
>>
>>2100614
Research shows that this does squat to fix the feral cat population. New cats come to fill the void that the euthanized cats left behind, and the new cats breed and start the problem all over again, probably worse than before. It's called the vaccuum effect. Trap neuter release (TNR), on the other hand, does work.
>>
>>2100614
>fuck native species

Birds die far more from flying into windows than do by being hunted by cats. Cats prefer rodents. I agree that cats are better left indoors, but perhaps we should take on Big Window first.

Source: http://www.sibleyguides.com/conservation/causes-of-bird-mortality/
>>
>>2100616
>>2100682
>>2100686
Not an argument.
>>
>>2100274
Is there a room you can section off from the rest of the house and keep them in? Might be a short-term solution. Also try Craigslist/Nextdoor/Yikyak to find people if you don't know anyone locally.
>>
>>2100274
How about you grow a pair and take care of them.

Also,
euthanizecucks = /b/tards
>>
>>2100780
It's not about 'growing a pair', I care about animals and certainly would take care of them if 1. I didn't have a highly allergic person in the house 2. I didn't have dogs that would scare the crap out of them and 3. No one in the house has even the smallest amount of experience with cats, let alone feral cats so 4. The cats would be miserable and terrified in my house while simultaneously making my family miserable with allergens.
>>
Find Facebook local yardsale/animal lovers etc and post your plight, odd are you will find an angel
>>
>>2100724
You're right, it's not an argument, it's conclusive research from studies all over the country over the last several decades. Feelings don't trump science.
>>
>>2100812
Thankfully I have found one! See >>2100412
Just waiting to hear back from the TNR people so I can secure the mom and then all will be well.
>>
Somewhat related to the topic, how do you even get stray cats warm up to you, I also have a couple of kittens hanging around our backyard but whenever I try to approach them, they just run and hide, only to come back after I leave.
>>
>>2100284

I couldn't do that. Yeah, I understand that it's possible that they'll die or be abused or something, but it's not for sure.

Trading in a chance of death for a 100% chance of death doesn't sound like any sort of improvement, stealing any possibility of good enjoyable life from them before they have a chance.

I'd rather just leave it up to nature. If they get killed or get eaten, oh well, but at least they have a chance, just a fighting chance to have a good life.
>>
>>2100965
Except that's not the trade--the real trade is a humane, painless premature death rather than an agonizing, painful premature death.
>>
>>2100682
>Trap neuter release (TNR), on the other hand, does work.
Actual research has shown that TNR does jack shit to help anything. All it is is a "nice" way to pretend to deal with a problem.
>>
>>2101139

Assuming they'll have a premature death at all.

That's the problem, you're assuming they will die no matter what, that there's no way any of them could survive.

If all cats died prematurely with such certainty, they wouldn't be around anymore in urban environments. You wouldn't have the feral cat population you have. Obviously, more than a fair share manage to survive and grow into adult hood and live full lives, or at least long enough to have kittens of their own.

Even if it'd only be one or two of them, is it right to steal the entirety of their life, to just kill them all only because you figure they're 'likely' to die? You want to take a 75% chance of bad death and turn it into a 100% chance of slightly less bad death, how does that compute?

So they should never have a chance to try if you don't think they'll all make it in some super padded luxury environment?
>>
>>2101179
Are you a vegetarian? Because you sure as hell sound like one.
>>
>>2101182
no, all vegetarians first line upon meeting them is "hi, i'm a vegetarian/vegan."
>>
>>2101179
The average lifespan for a feral cat is 3 years. A female feral cat can reach sexual maturity as early as 6 months old, and can reproduce as often as every 4-6 months.

So do the math and you'll see how easily the feral cat population grows. TNR helps, but ultimately these cat will still suffer the daily stresses of scrounging on the street for the entirety of their short lifespan until they end up dying the usual horrific death, while in the meantime killing local fauna and transmitting parasites and diseases.
>>
File: hadescoffeecup.jpg (321 KB, 792x825) Image search: [Google]
hadescoffeecup.jpg
321 KB, 792x825
>>2100284

Animal control is cruel, I hate them.

>>2100292

I agree with this guy completely, I had a abandoned cat around that was fat, but he survived for a long while, after taking him in, the only bad thing he does is beat the shit out of my dogs.

>>2100332

I go for this guy as well, but do what >>2100339
tells you, if you have a allergic person in the house, put them in a private, safe place and make sure that person doesn't get them.

>>2100770

Be a landlord, require pet deposits. Are you a landlord?

>>2101179

I've had a couple ferals around before that are abandoned. One will attack any other cat around him if he feels like it, the other doesn't attack cats, but he will attack only the dogs, I chose to adopt the one who attacks dogs.

#savethecats
>>
>>2101258

3 years of life > 5 weeks of life.
>>
>>2101182
>Are you a vegetarian? Because you sure as hell sound like one.

No. I eat meat all the time.

But you're using the animal for something, you're preying on it in a manner. If you wanted to take those cats and use them for something, at least it's got purpose, utility. Plus, even then, you usually wait for the cow to reach slaughter age. You don't kill it like in a few weeks, even with veal.

Plus, that's with cows that are bred and grown for the purpose of meat production in mind, a stray cat having some kittens isn't quite the same.
>>
File: 20160415_184656.jpg (732 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
20160415_184656.jpg
732 KB, 2560x1440
I am the anon who got kittens from OP. They are really cute. Got kitten formula and food for them, fresh litter box and made a snuggle spot for them to sleep. They are exploring my bedroom playing with my cat's old toys. So stoked.
>>
>>2102386
Such blue eyes; they're adorable! Glad this thread has produced a happy ending. Can we get some photos? Names?
We had a feral kitten that we rescued from some steel containers, to the dismay of the nearby mother (not like she could reach in and grab him). Was a great cat no matter how much hassle my younger sister gave it, and it ended up disappearing/passing away as a farm cat at over a decade old.
>>
>>2100274
Just kill them and get it over with
>>
>>2101422
It is on this point I disagree, their lives are nothing but scrounging, starvation, fighting, illness, injury, and slow agonizing death. A pain-free death is the more humane option.
>>
I found a little kitty, male, pretty low on weight like 1.10 pounds/ half a kilo, him being like 2 month old or maybe a little older.
I took him to the vet, he seems pretty playful and all I bought her food and I gave him water he eats and all
But I'm worried he has like a little ball at the side of his nose, Vet told me it could be an abscess or something more serious related to a virus but I'm not sure
I found him like 2 days ago
Help me guys I really like this little fella and he likes me too I think
>>
>>2102386
why is your steering wheel on the other side?
>>
>>2102386
How cute was OP? Answer me now
>>
>>2101341
As much as we all hate people who give animals away on Craigslist, this might be an option for you, OP. Just ask for 10$ each to avoid people asking for free cats, and try to screen whoever is interested to make sure they're going to good homes.
>>
File: 20160416_203854.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
20160416_203854.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1840
>>2102627
I wont pass any judgement, cute enough.

>>2102623
My wife was using the forward facing camera.

>>2102405
Sorry for potato tier photos, they were under the bed and i didnt feel like fishing them out while they were playing. If the thread is up later ill post better ones. No names yet:)

Yeah, Im stoked I stumbled upon OP's thread and got to save these little kitties. I would have saved them even if they were ugly but I lucked out with them being really cute.
>>
File: dustsprites.jpg (100 KB, 400x219) Image search: [Google]
dustsprites.jpg
100 KB, 400x219
>>2102934
pretty cute you gotta get all of them together with their purple eyes
>>
>>2100813
>muh stuhdeez
Study deeznutz, faggot, TNR does nothing to protect strays nor does it help native bird populations.
Fuck off with your fluff-cunt loving ignorant ass.
>>
>>2100274
Put an ad on craigslist or kajiji don't let them be killed please
>>
File: 20160417_135705.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
20160417_135705.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1840
>>
File: 20160417_135656.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
20160417_135656.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1840
>>
>>2103428
Is...is that an ammo box? Are you training WAR CATS!?
>>
>>2103510

Funny enough, I made a box for them lined with soft microfiber towels to snuggle in, they like small cramped dark spaces. I woke up this morning to find them in an open 5.56 ammo box in my closet lel. I didnt mean to have /k/ittens but they chose that life.
>>
File: 20160417_213738.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
20160417_213738.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1840
Update
>>
File: 20160417_184303.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
20160417_184303.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1840
>>
File: 20160417_184412.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
20160417_184412.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1840
>>
Viet cong wife won't let you have an AR?
>>
File: 20160417_225257.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
20160417_225257.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1840
>>2103688
>Implying I dont have two caliber ak's and two caliber ARs to choose from.

>implying that I would allow my kitties to stay in a house unprotected by a SCAR 17 anyhow.

try again anon
>>
>>2100274
If you really want to save them yourself then here's my suggestion.

Designate a room just for the kittens and possible mother. Feed them. Take care of them until they are 8 weeks old. (For the person allergic, ask them to stay away from the room. If it's mild, just change clothes after holding them.

At 8 weeks, post them on Facebook groups that say "(Your location) buy and sell" or "animals/pets in (your location)". A person interested will notify you and set up a meet time and place. Be sure to meet up at a place you can easily find each other and a place public like a park.

I've gotten three animals via Facebook groups including my wonderful kitten and my two corn snakes.

It's really not that hard.
>>
>>2100810
I mentioned keeping them until you can give them away via Facebook, however I've also seen people post about strays and other people taking them in. Explain your situation and I'm sure someone can help. Type in the search bar for groups "(location) buy and sell" or "animals in (location)"
>>
>>2102386
Wow they are beautiful!
>>
>>2103681
I like the black one. I can tell they are all going to be long furred. You gonna keep them all?

Any update on mother kitty? Do you have her or is she still stray? OP?
>>
>>2103707
I didnt plan on keeping all 3 but I'm afraid after a few weeks my wife and I will be too attached to them. We may indeed keep all of them. OP says she will have the mother trapped, spayed and released.
>>
>>2103718
That's good! They are so adorable. You really lucked out.
>>
>>2103688
>2016
>viet cong

???
>>
Euthenize them, but take them in for a couple days first, give them a short but loving life.

If it were just about the quality of life of a stray cat, I'd agree that it's fair not to make the assumption that they're best off dead, but it's about the ecosystems they'll damage as well.
>>
>>2103698
They have already been saved. See thread.

>>2103704
They have already been saved. See thread.

>>2103947
They have already been saved, see thread.

>>2102996
They have already been saved, see thread.

Does no one read anymore
>>
>>2103718
Yep, this, just waiting to get in on the TNR group's schedule.
>>
>>2100412
>>2100570
>>2102386
This is so cool, way to go anons!
>>
>>2100274
Damn. I was hoping for lawnmower
>>
File: 1273907467011.jpg (41 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1273907467011.jpg
41 KB, 500x375
>went to /k/ looking for Arizona battle cats thread
>didn't find one
please post more photos
>>
>>2102419
Isn't it like that for every animal that lives in the wild?
>>
>>2104793
shit, it's like that for me.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.