[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/herp/ Reptile & Amphibian General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 103
File: BRB.jpg (290 KB, 1024x731) Image search: [Google]
BRB.jpg
290 KB, 1024x731
previous thread >>2082904

/herp/ officially official all-purpose care sheet of wonder and magic

>sand a shit
>use a thermostat
>read all the caresheets
>set up your tank before you get your herp
>do not fuck with your new herp for at least one week after bringing it home
>PVC tanks are way better for most applications and worth the extra money
>>
>>2096247
Looking for a GOOD armadillo lizard care sheet
>>
File: conglomerationOfSkinks.jpg (144 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
conglomerationOfSkinks.jpg
144 KB, 640x360
>>
>>
>>
File: Lanthanotus_borneensis.jpg (85 KB, 604x403) Image search: [Google]
Lanthanotus_borneensis.jpg
85 KB, 604x403
>>
File: bmeGDSb.jpg (912 KB, 3840x2400) Image search: [Google]
bmeGDSb.jpg
912 KB, 3840x2400
>>
File: greaterShortHornedLizard.jpg (91 KB, 1024x931) Image search: [Google]
greaterShortHornedLizard.jpg
91 KB, 1024x931
>>
>>2096261
Shame there's pretty much nothing known about them. They seem super interesting.
>>
>>2096264

Awesome! I'm using this as a desktop image.
>>
File: GXmFd.jpg (158 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
GXmFd.jpg
158 KB, 1920x1080
>>
>>2096252
we usually say that you shouldn't completely trust any one care sheet.
Get a bunch of them and see what averages out
but for armadillo lizards, there's probably not a whole lot
>>
File: European_Glass_Lizard.jpg (62 KB, 710x408) Image search: [Google]
European_Glass_Lizard.jpg
62 KB, 710x408
smug legless lizard is smug
>>
>>2096707

>having legs in the current year
>>
>>2096707
>>2096707

that smug bastard
>>
File: 1451478698887.jpg (6 KB, 450x254) Image search: [Google]
1451478698887.jpg
6 KB, 450x254
>>2096722
>>
File: img_0509.jpg (81 KB, 687x515) Image search: [Google]
img_0509.jpg
81 KB, 687x515
>tfw I want a Budgetts Frog super bad but I don't have any room for the tank
>>
What do you guys usually do with your herps if you're going away for a while? Like say a week or so? Who do you get to take care of them? Are there businesses that will do it for you? Not planning on leaving anytime soon, but my girlfriend's been talking about going on a vacation this summer and I'm in the unfortunate position of being an idiot who somehow has no friends that understand shit about reptile/amphibian care.
>>
>>2096734
For a week? You don't have to do anything.
>>
>>2096739
Baby turtle, baby Leopard gecko, crested gecko, those three need fed every day
>>
>>2096742
Feeding all of those arent rocket science.
You dont have a relative that could stop by for 10 minutes a day to feed them? Turtle could be fed on those pellet things for a week and be fine , for the leapords just keep some crickets in a critter keeper and have them toss in a few and the crested gecko just needs refills on that powder mix they eat
>>
File: 508Y2.jpg (156 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
508Y2.jpg
156 KB, 1280x1024
HYEEEEEEAAAAANNNNN
>>
File: wildflower thistle.jpg (58 KB, 450x640) Image search: [Google]
wildflower thistle.jpg
58 KB, 450x640
ZYEAAAAAK
>>
File: CqMxuhP.jpg (142 KB, 962x627) Image search: [Google]
CqMxuhP.jpg
142 KB, 962x627
>>2096264
YEEEEEEEEEEEHAWWWWWWW!
>>
>>2096840

I hate this shit. The photographer of this one, Hendy MP (Hendy Lie) routinely places animals in highly dangerous situations to get his photos. In this particular one he has used a thin string (think dental floss or fishing line) to hold up the frog's right forefoot. The line is then removed in post production. He may also have hooked another line in the frog's jaw to hold the mouth open. In other pictures, he will put large herps with much smaller ones; like dwarf gator + gecko, and and take pictures, meanwhile gator is gaping and likely to attempt to eat gecko.

Shikhei Goh, another photographer, does the same shit with the string to create unnatural poses.

People like this offend me both as a wildlife photo hobbiest and as a keeper of reptiles. It's gross.
>>
>>2096887
>I hate art
ok, but did you need to type all that?
>>
>>2096889

Animals and nature board you faggot. He's upset at the animal disrespect, not the art.

Idiot.
>>
>>2096734
For only a week, I change their water, make sure their bedding has been dampened in the cages that need that, and then I'm done. Unless their feeding day falls on/before the day I leave I don't even so much as worry about feeding them. But I have snakes, so less maintenance than a lizard or amphibian.

>>2096889
Animal cruelty is not art.
>>
>>2096784
Good point, I just think I have a really hard time trusting others with my animals' feeding. The turtle and the crested gecko, with that, you have a good point.

I just have an issue with my baby leo, I've kind of spoiled her by by only feeding her by hand. Like, I've only ever fed her by picking her up, killing the cricket/mealworm, dipping it in calcium powder, and moving it in front of her face until she eats it. I've never had her go after live prey before... I don't trust anybody else to properly hold my tender pink baby and feed her correctly

>>2096921
I have a pacman and a toad, I suppose I could feed them both a little extra before I leave. Would they be good for a week like this? I mean my toad just straight up didn't want to eat for like a week once.
>>
>>2096742
No, they don't.
>>
>>2096934
>killing the cricket/mealworm, dipping it in calcium powder, and moving it in front of her face until she eats it. I've never had her go after live prey before... I don't trust anybody else to properly hold my tender pink baby and feed her correctly
stupid disgusting pervert
>>
>>2096935
>crested gecko
food needs replaced daily
>baby turtle
I'm talking like under a year here. Babies need fed daily, I've heard that from multiple sources
>baby leo
they're supposed to be fed every day, luckily mines is only hungry like every other day, sometimes every third day, even. So you got me there
>>
>>2096937
I'm no pervert, I just treat that gecko like it's a human child, at least in the level of care that I take of it.

She's like my baby
>>
>>2096941
No
No
No
>>
>>2096944
Thank you for explaining your reasoning to me, you'd make an excellent teacher and conversationalist
>>
>>2096943
You wear a nurses uniform and hump a chair while you're doing it because you're such a pervert.
>>
>>2096948
...w-who told you?
>>
File: Theremaybebugs.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
Theremaybebugs.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
How does /an/ treat reptile mites? Had a run in with an infestation that hit my woma python nearly two weeks ago and had to treat him to a few baths while I continued to regularly clean and check his enclosure. Ended up buying some provent-a-mite to treat his enclosure as well as the other snek enclosures i've got in my home just to be safe. Pic related is the poor bastard a week after everything was cleaned and treated. Here's hoping that this is the last time I have to deal with this shit for at least a long while, made my fucking blood boil seeing him rubbing against everything he could to try and soothe his itching skin.
>>
File: Onsomeofyourmugs.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
Onsomeofyourmugs.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>>2096979
The fuck? Why's the picture upside down? I get the feeling this is going to keep happening.
2/3
>>
File: Butthereain'tnobugsonme!.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
Butthereain'tnobugsonme!.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>>2096980
Welp. At least the aussies will see the picture right side up.
>>
>>2096707
Tell me more about these reptiles. What do they do differently to snakes?
>>
>>2096989
They snek...ok, see, they snek- but hear me out on this, they snek, right? But as lizards.
>>
Hi, /an/. Could you help me identify this hatchling?

https://49.media.tumblr.com/75143e4b10c21b842a0ff931d9604df3/tumblr_nc2ixgai7A1qd8w33o1_500.gif
>>
>>2096979
yeah provent-a-mite and baths are really all you can do
thoroughly wash that tank it was in, with like a dilute bleach solution to make sure everything is dead, and treat with PAM
you can get some reptile spray from like a petsmart or something so you can directly treat your snake.
olive or mineral oil will also help you get some off if there's a lot
also change substrate to paper towels until you're SURE they're all gone like 3 months later
>>
>>2096991
So are they as big of vorefags as snakes are or not? Do they just insects like regular lizards instead?
>>
>>2097056
they're regular lizards is all aspects except they dont have legs
>>
>>2097062
The poor bastards
>>
I dont get why people breed herps but dont know anything about genetics. The worst part is no one calls them out on it, they just spoon feed these people and it pisses me off.

"What will I get of I cross x and y?"

"Oh youll get some x's some y's and z's"

If they knew anything about the easy as shit mendelian traits they wouldnt be asking in the first place, and they are asking because they plan on breeding. But no one bothers to say "Hey, maybe you should study the genetics a bit more before breeding"
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
So I got some new plants (bromeliad and the big ass fern) for my juviniele crested, just wondering what people think of my set up and any recommendations?
>>
>>2097241
Here's the lil' guy chillin out by his new bromeliad
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>2097243
Forgot pic
>>
>>2097241
Looks good. That food bowl os way too big though. You want bottle cap sized bowl for young crested gecko and refill with fresh cgd daily. Decrease to every other day when gecko is over 15 grams.
>>
so i've had my beardie for a month now. she was a little skittish for the first couple weeks. she at least let's me hold her for a little bit. after i grab her she just started climbing up my arm onto my shoulder now. she seems still weary of my hands. is this a good sign that shes climbing on me or am i thinking too much into it
>>
Shit so I jumped the gun and ordered a jungle carpet from bhb. I assumed it was a hatchling that I could keep in something about twice the size of a shoebox for a few months until I could get a pvccage for it. Turns out its atleast 2'6'' and they said that it hasnt been measured in awhile so its may be closer to 3'.

It should be ok to house it in a plastic tub thats like 2x3.5x1.5 for a month or two right?
>>
What is the friendliest, largest, most social lizard pet?
>>
>>2097379

Completely normal, anon. You're doing fine.

>>2097427

>It should be ok to house it in a plastic tub thats like 2x3.5x1.5 for a month or two right?

Yes that is an okay size for a 3' snake.

>>2097594

lizards don't in to 'social'. tegus will sometimes seek out attention from humans though.
>>
>>2097594
Croc monitor
>>
Should I even worry about salmonela shit? I mean do I spray down the area they walk on or JUST wash my hands?
>>
>>2097427
Yes, that isn't even questionably sized, that is more than enough room.

>>2097594
Water monitors. They're a fuckton of work and you'd probably be better off with a tegu or iguana. (most iguanas are assholes, but the genuinely nice ones are amazing)
>>
>>2097753
>Should I even worry about salmonela shit?
No. I don't even wash my hands unless there's actually something on them, or it's an animal with risk of infection to other species or something.
>>
>>2097753
Washing hands is sufficient. Risk of salmonella transfer is quite low.
>>
What are some good non traditional lizards to keep?

I've heard the one anon say armadillo lizard, and I've seen a caiman lizard, but what else would y'all recommend? I've kept geckos, bearded dragons, skunks, etc
>>
>>2098284

Uromastyx are pretty neat.
>>
File: pixie-frog-520x245.jpg (59 KB, 520x245) Image search: [Google]
pixie-frog-520x245.jpg
59 KB, 520x245
Would African bullfrogs appreciate being able to completely submerge themselves in water? I have two juveniles about three inches in length sharing a tank and their water is about jaw height if they're resting on their bellies.

It's a little less convenient to change deeper water but if it betters their situation then I'll do it.
>>
>>2098299
Nah that depth is fine. They aren't avid swimmers or anything, so just whatever's deep enough for them to wade in is perfect.

I would also recommend that you house them separately. They're very likely to try and attack/eat one another if kept in the same enclosure.
>>
File: tealightholder.jpg (32 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
tealightholder.jpg
32 KB, 480x480
tip for inexpensive and durable feeding bowls for insectivores and cgd mix eating geckos; pick related works very well for both of those things. mealworms, butterworms, waxworms, etc. cannot climb out of these easily. it's not totally impossible for them to do so, i've seen it happen a couple times, just very difficult. for superworms you need something with higher sides for sure.

this kind of candle holder is called a 'tea light holder'.
>>
>>2098319

this type here works best for cgd. the narrower opening at the top keeps the cgd moist for a longer period of time before it dries out. pic doesn't convey scale well, these are about 1 inch tall by 1 inch wide, something like that. they are heavy enough that the geckos don't tip them over.
>>
File: suctioncupsoapdish.jpg (23 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
suctioncupsoapdish.jpg
23 KB, 480x480
instant elevated hide for crested geckos and other arboreals. take suction cup soap dish, cut a paper towel roll or pvc pipe section to fit snuggly inside, secure towel roll/pipe to soap dish with zip ties.

all of my arboreals love these and use them daily. they seem to like the feel of the paper towel rolls better than pvc pipe though. probably because the cardboard flexes a bit and is more comfy.
>>
I'm thinking about buying Leopard gecko or a Bearded Dragon. What would you recommend?
Which one smells then least bad?
>>
>>2097753
Nah, even without washing the risk is low unless you're immunocompromised. I'd still wash to be on the safe side, but the risk of salmonella is pretty low for people with average immune systems.
>>
So i know the general rule is that you dont want to mix species together in a tank but im trying to create a vivarium with plants and isopod/springtails. I already have a colony of pet hissing roaches going, i have 5 males, and 2 nymphs which i cant sex yet.

My herp related question is, do you think i could add green Anoles to my working vivarium without them being stressed by the presence of hissers? In reality the roaches mostly hide under the logs i have for them and only come out for food or to just wander it would seem. Do you think they could get along? Im thinking they would ignore eachother for the most part. Anoles are more arboreal and their care requirements are similiar to the roaches, at least for the enclosure im using, which is 30x20x12 in dimension. I wouldnt care if my roaches breeded and the anoles ate them, are tiny hisser nymphs ok for anoles?

Also i heard if you get multiple green anoles they need to be in a harem. If i had multiple females would they just end up eating the eggs or would i have to perform a lizard abortion if i didnt want babies?

Thought?
>>
>>2098332
reptiles dont smell unless you let their shit pile up
how much do you have to spend?
How much space do you have?
bearded dragons get much larger and require a more varied diet including veggies

>>2098342
is that 12 as in 12 inches high?
Im not sure thats enough vertical space to house both of them
>>
>>2098344
So the geckos are easier to care for?
There's I guy on CL selling the gecko and all the necessary things for it for 110
same guy is selling 2 younger geckos for 130 + all the stuff
>>
>>2098344
No its 20 inches high, 12 inches width, 30 inches length

Is that any better?
>>
>>2098349
generally speaking, yes. Leo eat less and take up less space
Leo's are nocturnal though, so you probably wont see them very often before like 8pm

what are you specifically looking for? There really isnt a "better" option, it depends on you

>>2098350
yeah a 20 inch height is much better, that gives the anoles a lot of height to get away from the hissers if they want to. And it should be perfectly fine if the anoles snack on the hisser nymphs

honestly though, I'd maybe be a little wary of the adult hissers taking a bite out of a sleeping anole. I know it can be problem with crickets. So long as you keep them fed though there should be any issues with it.

worst case scenario, they stress each other out and you move the hissers to like a $5 plastic bin for a while
>>
>>2098353
>what are you specifically looking for?
I just kinda want to try out a new kind of pet, you know?
>>
>>2098353
Yeah. From what ive heard male hissers are only aggressive towards other male hissers. They dont attack if threatened either. So i cant see them trying to fuck with the lizards. Moving them would be no problem though.

Also i dont think they would try feeding on live tissue, they have never eaten any of my plants, only dead leaves that have already dropped. Theyre pretty slow too and for the most part just huddle together out of sight.

Thanks for your thoughts
>>
After having owned one for almost 4 years now, bearded dragons have got to be one of the dumbest animals I've ever come in contact with.

I can't place sand in his enclosure because he'd accidentally swallow it, I can't put rubble or wood shavings because he'd try to eat it.

I built him a much larger enclosure a week ago (160x90x80) and wanted to make it more natural looking than the old one (which was just a log for basking and a hiding spot, but little by little I had to give up on any idea of making the terrarium look nice.
>can't make foam background, he regularly claws like mad in the morning and he'd tear it up and very likely eat it afterwards too
>can't put plastic cactuses, already bought one and had to take it out after he trying to chew on it
>can't put any form of substrate because he'd find a way to kill himself on it too
>he'd probably try to eat a hammock if I bought him one

I worked for 2 hours to build a platform so he'd have a higher place for basking, ended up making two connected by a bridge. An hour later I find him trying to climb it through the hole between the wall and the bridge, which was half his width and got caught in it. Luckily I was already keeping an eye on him and got him out, then closed it up.

He eats like a pig almost every day but it doesn't matter, he'd try biting and swallowing anything new that I put in. I have to keep a constant eye on him to make sure he doesn't find a new way to kill himself. I honestly have no idea how he made it to 4 years old.

Does anyone else's bearded dragon act like this? I know it's normal for them to be hyperactive in the mornings, but when I see all these cool looking terrariums I feel like shit that I can't build a similar one for him.
>>
>>2098424
or it could be that impaction is just an /an/ meme and they don't give a shit if they swallow a little bit of substrate
>>
File: bibron.jpg (152 KB, 600x440) Image search: [Google]
bibron.jpg
152 KB, 600x440
Ok /herp/, I'm getting a pair of these as my first vertebrates, I keep tons of exotic invertebrates so I know a few things about setting up enclosures.

I got a few questions though

1) What should I use as ground cover for their tank? I read you shouldn't use sand.
I guess that means I should use loam or bark chips?

2)Do I have to use a heating lamp or can I use a heating mat?

3) Is it okay to keep a pair or should it be 1.2?
>>
>>2098432

Soil/bark combo should be fine for substrate. Arid species so moisture retention not important.

This species basks so you will want a a basking bulb for daytime and a low wattage ceramic heat emitter for night temperature maintenance.

0.2 pair would be okay. 1.2 also fine.
>>
how can herpetology be real if traditional phylogenics aint real?
>>
File: M left F right.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
M left F right.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>2098311

Thanks for the feedback.

I totally intend to separate them when they get a little older. Right now they don't pose a threat to each other because of their like size.

I believe I have a male and female. Same age, same clutch. Here's a picture of em. Both are three months old and 3+ inches long.
>>
File: RANDY.png (1 MB, 1042x587) Image search: [Google]
RANDY.png
1 MB, 1042x587
Is my lizard overweight?
>>
>>2098747
He's a little Husky
>>
>>2098284
Emerald Swifts are cool
>>
File: DSC_0735.jpg (2 MB, 3008x2000) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0735.jpg
2 MB, 3008x2000
Well I missed a ghost motley at the show this weekend, it ended up being a female so I had to pass it up, I need a male for my project. So here are some of my other snakes while I wait for word on anyone else having one of these guys.

First up is the female sunglow 66% het anery that will be paired to the ghost motley het albino when I find one. If it comes to it, I'll get a regular ghost het albino and include motley in my project later, but I don't need the male for a few years, so I've got time to look.
>>
File: DSC_0579.jpg (2 MB, 3008x2000) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0579.jpg
2 MB, 3008x2000
>>2098807
My retic who is a bit small for her age but has been rapidly growing since hitting medium rat size. She was underfed the first 6 months of her life, so she's a foot or two behind where she should be, but if she keeps growing 1'-2' every other month, she'll catch up soon enough.
>>
File: 1428732454472.jpg (85 KB, 454x453) Image search: [Google]
1428732454472.jpg
85 KB, 454x453
>go all out on herp enclosure, spend months fine-tuning it to look amazing and provide plenty of healthy stimuli to the animal
>they choose one hide and stay there forever

I would've gone with a fucking tote and breeder materials if I'd known you would never get out and about you little cunt
>>
File: IMG_0935.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1728) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0935.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1728
>>2098814
And my adult boa constrictor, 6'5" and 9 lbs, he's still every so slowly growing at 4.5 years old, but he's only grown 2" since November 2014. He was my second snake but he's the one that got me hooked on snakes.
>>
>>2098815
It's a new enclosure, sometimes they need time to acclimate.

Also, depending on the species, it may be nocturnal and just coming out when you're not looking.
>>
My ball python has refused food for almost 2 months now.
when should I consider assist feeding him?
>>
>>2098868
when its starts losing a significant amount of weight
>>
>>2098890
He is looking pretty skinny lately.
He's not an adult. He's a bit under 3 feet long.
>>
>>2098891
two months is not enough time for that much weight loss
do you have a scale? if not you better get one
>>
>>2098747

that's a little thick. cut back on the insects, up the veg.
>>
>>2096247
good beginner sneks?
>>
>>2098902
corn snek
or
ball python
>>
>>2098902
Probably corn, king, hognose or rosy boa, but I don't own snakes.

Avoid the ball python meme, they're common but fucking needy condition-wise and are real niggers when it comes to eating, I've heard that time and time again
>>
>>2098902
>>2098912
also, I got a ball python as my first. She's actually been really good about eating
I still wouldn't recommend them as a first though.
The humidity requirements can be kind of iffy for a first time owner, also she doesn't do jack shit at least while I'm awake anyway.

Pick a diurnal snake, so that way you can actually watch it do shit from time to time.
>>
P-p-please one more buggies?
>>
>>2098332
leos just sit there all day. like that one guy said they literally sleep 85% of the time. i just got a bearded dragon, and she's always sunbathing or running around. she's more work than a leo but at least she does something.
>>
>>2098815
If they're young they usually stay hidden until they get used to the enclosure.

I know my bearded dragon was absolutely terified the first time I built him a bigger enclosure, and stayed hidden for ~3 weeks until he started running around.
>>
>>2099109
Bearded dragons are harder to maintain than leos? I always thoughts leos were more of a hassle since you have the added bonus of humidity to maintain (whereas for a beardie a lamp will pretty much guarantee that humidity won't exceed 20%).
>>
>>2099149
Feeding a bearded dragon a varied diet and dealing with uvb/uva bulbs is more of a hassle than maintaining a moist hide for a leopard gecko.
>>
>>2098891
It's easy to imagine a snake is skinnier when you're worried. Get a scale so your mind isn't tricking you into thinking he's underweight.

If a ball python lost weight after 2 months, there's something horribly wrong. They should be able to go 6 months with barely any weight loss.
>>
>>2097319
Duly noted, I put a small amount in it whenever I feed him but if it's actually that Important to have smaller bowl I'll change it up.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
So today I went to try and get more sphagnum moss for my bp's humidity box but found that they're currently out. Would this stuff act as a decent substitute until get get more in, or is it going to trigger some horrible allergic reaction I'm unaware of in snake?
>>
>>2099335
moss is moss
you could also just use wet paper towels
>>
File: IMG_20160411_181948.jpg (4 MB, 4000x2992) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160411_181948.jpg
4 MB, 4000x2992
Hello again /herp/
I bought 2 leopard geckos and they're tank today and would like your advise
the Substrate the people I bought it from were using was like rain forest dirt and I don't think that's what they should be using.
any tips for a novice gecko owner?
Pic is the tank now, I need to clean the sides of it really badly
>>
>>2099377
i mean, the substrate isn't awful so long as it isnt wet, but its also not what they live on
I'd recommend you put them on paper towels until you can get some tile or slate rock for them
>>
>>2099377
Get a bigger tank.
Ditch the loose substrate, papertowels for now until you get tile.
Ditch the lamp and get an under tank heater.
Get more hides, two for each gecko. So in this case 4 hides.
Get a calcium dish.
>>
>>2099400
there is an under tank heater on the left side
So tile is the go to for Leopard Geckos? the whole tanks should be tiled or just part of it?
>>
>>2099377
are you that fucking retard that posted on the FB group that "mists the geckos regularly."

FUCK

Why don't people do research before just getting pets and asking fucking 4chan for advice?

I bet you're the type of person that gets ass pained if someone gets pregnant without thinking about how having a baby isn't just fun, its a living person.
>>
>>2099423
holy fuck calm down
No I'm not on your FB page
>Why don't people do research before just getting pets and asking fucking 4chan for advice?
I do, lots of it. I ask here because I assume your advise comes from experience and its fairly immediate.
>>
>>2099444
Not him but obviously you didn't do that much research if you're using such crappy substrate, small enclosure, and have bright lamp overhead
>>
>>2099469
>crappy substrate, small enclosure, and have bright lamp overhead
This is everything that the people I bought it from were using. Its clear that they weren't doing a great job. I read the substrate wasn't ideal so that why I asked you guys. now they have paper towels until I can find tile.
As for the light, do you think its to bright for them?
>>
>>2099491
Leopard geckos should not have a light, it will only scare them away. Leo's obtain heat through their stomach, which is why you have the heatmat. So ditch the light all together.

>>2099418
The entire tank. Get them from a hardware store and they can have them cut to size for you. You should get a bigger tank and fit the tiles to that of course.
>>
>>2099498
Should the heat pad its self be able to maintain temperature for the whole tank?
>>
File: FB_IMG_1460427109418.jpg (108 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1460427109418.jpg
108 KB, 960x960
I'm going to be picking up this little Nile Monitor next weekend. I want to go ahead and get started building him a custom enclosure for when he gets bigger and was wondering if anyone had any tips or pictures of their custom enclosures.
>>
>>2099513
Just the hot side. You need a temperature gradient. The floor of the hot end should be 90-95F while the cool side, the opposite side end of the tank should be 70-80F
>>
File: 092.jpg (46 KB, 220x219) Image search: [Google]
092.jpg
46 KB, 220x219
>>2099377
>small as fuck enclosure
>dirty as fuck
>bright light
>ECO EARTH FOR LEOS
>1 HIDING SPOT

Triggered
>>
>>2099535
I'm making progress!
I gave the tank a good cleaning and got rid of the dirt.
>>
>>2099518

making a wood one, right? for sealing the joints you want to use 100% pure silicone. That's GE Silicone I from hardware store. Anything that has anti-fungal additives should be avoided as it is toxic to your herp.

if possible, attach locking wheels to the bottom of the enclosure. this will help a lot if you ever need to move it.
>>
File: 1460357911048.jpg (33 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1460357911048.jpg
33 KB, 500x375
>>2096266
kek we used to have those in our backyard as a kid. we would catch them and throw them on the fire, taste great! really juicy
>>
>>2099377
Did you just get them? How the fuck is their tank that filthy? Why are there hard water stains everywhere and all that dirt and shit on the right side?
>>
>>2099660
Their previous owner seemed to just dump the dirt directly out of the tank an never cleaned the sides off afterward. They showed it to me and thats why that dirt on the right it there. I cleaned the tank now
They also never used the heating mat and only heated the tank with the lamp I've been told not to use.
I'm pretty sure they didn't quite know how to care for Leopard Geckos.
>>
>>2099698
Its alright Anon, Leo's can withstand some mistreatment, they are hardy Animals. They'll be alright while it takes time for you to update their living arrangements. You should look at new enclosures soon. Do you know the gender of both geckos?
>>
>>2099701
No idea about their genders
I think I have an old 10 gallon aquarium around somewhere that I could use but they are pretty small right now
>>
File: WP_20160411_16_32_57_Pro.jpg (3 MB, 4208x2368) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160411_16_32_57_Pro.jpg
3 MB, 4208x2368
>>2099711
Two males can't be housed together, but too females can. Males will mate females until they become stressed to death. I'm no expert though, I don't know how old your Leo's are, when they are young you can't sex them because it's hard to tell.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge will come by sometime. Congrats on the new Leopard Geckos though.

My little guy is about to shed sometime soon.
>>
>>2099719
>little guy
he seems pretty big to me
>>
>>2099725
For you
>>
>>2099719
I would love to see pics of your whole enclosure. Did you make the decorations and everything yourself?

And for some reason I find it hilarious that you're using the kind of tiles that you might see in a middle school bathroom. Like I think it looks fine and all that, it's just that most people go with sandy or darker colors for leo tanks, the tiles in my tank are sandy colors and kind of a rougher texture. It makes yours very unique.

Also, cute chubby gecko.
>>
Do I need to feed my bearded dragon all live food? I've been feeding her (it's a her I think) live crickets every day and before I feed her crickets I try to get her to eat Kale/Carrot/Spinach

The veggies I don't mind buying but she eats a lot of crickets and it's getting to be very costly, I can afford it I'm just wondering if I can do some form of premade food once in awhile

The tank looks empty in this pic but I've added much more stuff to make it homey in the past week.
>>
My brother got a baby bearded dragon from a pet store a few months back, and it died recently. It sounds like the day he got it, the lizard was very inactive and ignored food. Despite being a baby, it slept most of the time and only ate finely diced veggies. We figured it might be burmentation, but he got concerned when it seemed like it was losing a lot of weight and stopped eating all together. Hes upset because he put in a lot of effort to take care of it. He has a bunch of its supplies laying around and plans to get another bearded dragon. I'm pretty far away and can't really stop him, so I guess the best thing for me to do is know if his bearded dragons death was his fault and try getting information on how he should take care of one.
Any advice?
>>
>>2099860
Temps...furniture...feeding schedule...kinda giving everyone not shit to work with....lights...anything?
>>
>>2099864
I think their tempature is 105 on one side and 85 on the other. They put in a basking rock near it the hotter side of the cage. There is a little pond near the cool side with some fake plants in it. Apparently some crickets would drown so the plants helped them climb back out. They built a little cave out of some rocks for them to hide as well as various branches for them to climb on. They used to have calcium sand, but later switched out to tile flooring because they felt it was eaiser to clean the cage when they just grab a tile and wash it off and put it back in whenever they poop.
The feeding schedule was finely chopped spinache as well as some pellets of dragon food and some raspberries in the morning and live crickets in the evening, although they never bothered uch with the crickets and seemed more annoyed with them. They also had I think theyre wax worms in a dish. It sounds like the lizard didnt bother much with those either. The lights are a UVB and UVA lighting as well as a heat lamp.
>>
>>2099858
Babies will eat a lot of crickets because theyre growing a lot more and the crickets provide good nutrition. They will switch more to the carrots/spinach/kale when they get older.

I use to have a very lazy lizard and would crush up crickets for them to eat. You can try premade but don't expect much at first. Babies are just picky.
>>
>>2099869
Spinach and raspberries everyday is not good for beardies. Spinach will prevent them from absorbing calcium and raspberries have too much sugar. You can get calcium supplements to make the spinach more favorable. Collard, mustard, and turnip greens are great for everyday feeding. Also, babies should eat mostly insects until they are reaching adult.

I would just remove the pond all together as it would likely cause the humidity to increase, which could lead to respiratory infections.

Calcium sand is bad and thankfully your brother already fixed that. Any furniture from the outside should have been soaked in diluted bleach or boiling water.

For the next bearded dragon, get an adult if possible, they are much easier to care for than a baby. If it is a baby again, just focus on getting the temps, uvb, and humidity right. Make sure the majority of his food is insects as a baby.
>>
File: delishroaches.jpg (185 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
delishroaches.jpg
185 KB, 1920x1080
>>2099869
>Not breeding dubia roaches
>Not having enough food for your insectivores at ALL TIMES

You're doing it wrong famalam
>>
>>2099893
meant for
>>2099858
>>
File: WP_20150110_003.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
WP_20150110_003.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>2099842
The decor is made from Styrofoam and grout, I've been considering building him a tank from wood and redoing his enclosure, but that won't be for a while.

These tiles are the kind you would have in your kitchen, we had a box lying around so I used them.
>>
>>2099858
Your beardie doesn't look like an adult yet. When they become an adult you'll be feeding mostly veggies and less live food. At this point its the other way around, more life food and some veggies.
>>
>>2099975
I like it! It looks huge, how big is it? Any more pics of your leo? He's cute!
>>
File: IMG_20160412_153250.jpg (4 MB, 4000x2992) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160412_153250.jpg
4 MB, 4000x2992
Well I got my tile for the tank and they seem to be a bit more happy

>>2099975
That looks really cool!
>>
>>2100012
>feeding your leos cocaine
>>
>>2100012
looks a hell of a lot better than yesterday
at this point I'd try to get them a bigger tank. they're looking a little cramped
>>
>>2100012
Not perfect, but still a huge improvement from before. That might be good for one leo, but for two, you're going to want to get a bigger enclosure. They'll be fine in there until you get one, though.

Good job
>>
File: calcium lol.jpg (30 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
calcium lol.jpg
30 KB, 300x300
Since we're all on the topic of leopard geckos, I had a question:

Does my juvenile leo need a bowl of calcium powder out if I dust all of her meals with it anyway?
>>
>>2100012
Like all the anons before said get a bigger enclosure.

Also you aren't supposed to put the calcium poweder in a dish. You have to coat their feeder insects in it.
>>
>>2099893
>tfw ordered 200 dubai roaches when I babysat my friends leopard geckos for 2 weeks
>now have an entire colony that Im doing nothing with that is just expanding

Doesnt help literally everyone I know thinks its gross and wierd that I have a 40gallon plastic tub full of roaches hidden under a desk
>>
>>2100110
leos will lick calcium out of a dish anon
>>
File: 20151225_104931_HDR.jpg (3 MB, 2988x5312) Image search: [Google]
20151225_104931_HDR.jpg
3 MB, 2988x5312
>tfw my frilled lizard is almost three and still wants nothing to do with veggies

at least the roaches appreciate my salads
>>
>>2100117
Really? Guess I'll have to try that sometime.

>>2100114
Just sell them or get more pets that eat them.
>>
>>2100122
Are you that elitist cunt who looks down upon people with normie herps just because you have a frilled lizard? If so, fuck you.

If not, then I retract the above statement and extend a compliment your way. I like that lizard.
>>
>>2100234
why the fuck would i do that geezee
ive taken care of like 87 different species and
theyre all fantastic

im a pretty big fan of anoles desu
>>
>>2100068

for young geckos it's a good idea to do so just to be on the safe side of MBD. you don't need to put in much, a bottle cap of it is plenty. for adults it's not that important if you dust your feeders every time.
>>
>>2100114

if you have an animal shelter/spca that takes in reptiles, they will gladly take your roach colony. you can also give them to pet stores.
>>
File: WP_20141230_009.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
WP_20141230_009.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>2100009
The tank is a 33 gallon long, I think it was $75.

I'll post a couple pics of my gecko for you. He's 2 1/2 years now.

>>2100012
This looks alot better, In the larger tank you get, take a tupperware container to use as a moist hide with wet paper towels. Cut a hole as an entrance and use a lighter to round off the sharp edges
>>
File: WP_20140411_006.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
WP_20140411_006.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>
File: WP_20140524_026.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
WP_20140524_026.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
He had been put on a diet since these pictures, and is at a better weight now.
>>
File: WP_20140707_013.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
WP_20140707_013.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
One more after this.
>>
File: WP_20160404_19_10_41_Pro.jpg (3 MB, 4208x2368) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160404_19_10_41_Pro.jpg
3 MB, 4208x2368
Anyone else want to post their Leos?
>>
>>2100275
Okay sorry then. There's this guy on here who was putting down beardie owners, saying they were all edgy people with short attention spans. I don't even own a bearded dragon and it still irked me.

That being said, I'd love to see pics of your other herps. Like I said, I really like your frilled lizard
>>
File: IMG_20160412_230135.jpg (1 MB, 3533x1521) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160412_230135.jpg
1 MB, 3533x1521
>>2100288
>>2100110
>>2100038
>>2100040
>bigger tank
I manged to find my old aquarium 10 tank. Is it a bad thing to separate them?
>>2100296
pic is of one who thought my desk would be a fun place
he looks like he lost his tail a while back but it seems to be regrowing fine
>>
>>2100302
no not at all.
they dont need company, separating them may be the most beneficial option
>>
File: DSCN7326.jpg (1 MB, 3072x2304) Image search: [Google]
DSCN7326.jpg
1 MB, 3072x2304
>>2100302
You can separate them no problem. IF they are both females they can be housed together with a larger tank and enough hides. Saves space but you'll have to make sure neither are bullying the other. I only have the one male Leo so I don't know much about housing them together.

Letting them explore is always fun, usually let them do it for about 10-15 minutes. I think the rule of thumb was to only handle them for that amount of time once or twice a week.

I like to set up obstacles, such as towels for him to climb around and on top of on either my desk or bed.
>>
>>2099335
Some brands are more prone to mold than others in my experience, but I don't see why your bp would experience an allergic reaction.

>>2099893
Dubia roaches do happen to be illegal in some places.
>>
>>2100288
>>2100290
>>2100291
>>2100293
>>2100296
>>2100310
Cute! What's his name?
And not to trigger the rising number of people on here who hate morph names, but what morph is he?

>>2100302
Actually really cute
>lost tail
Where did you get these geckos?
>>
>>2100315
His name is Charlie and he's a super hypo tangerine carrot tail.
>>
>>2100315
>Where did you get these geckos?
off Craigslist. They were the pets of a 12 year girl. Sold because she wasn't taking enough time to care for them them.
They also had an adult for sale too. His tank is filled with sand.
>>
File: image.jpg (221 KB, 1108x1477) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
221 KB, 1108x1477
My leopard gecko is a bit odd

>likes to eat calcium from a dish
>very curious and often watches people from his cage
>loves to climb on everything
>has learned to voluntarily climb up my hand and onto my wrist if he wants to come out of his tank
>poses fabulously

I really like this guy.
>>
File: 20160413_001448.jpg (4 MB, 3000x1859) Image search: [Google]
20160413_001448.jpg
4 MB, 3000x1859
>>2100321
Fancy. He looks like a Charlie, too. Where'd you get him?

>>2100322
>His tank was filled with sand.
Ugh people. This shit makes me twitch, sand doesn't even look good and is a hassle to work with in every way. I don't understand why normies will die by it

Here's Starburst surveying her kingdom. She's fat right after a big feeding, I love this little gecker sooo much
>>
>>2100348
Very beautiful, what morph? Sounds like you got a real winner there. My leo is still kind of nervous after a few minutes of handling, but she's still just a baby, too. We'll work on it.

What's his name?
>>
>>2100350
I remember Starburst. She's getting very pretty as she grows.

>>2100352
No worries, it took a few months for mine to warm up too.
I'll send your kind compliment to the little bugger. Blizzard morph but other genetics are unknown. His name is Iggy.
>>
>>2100350
I got him from Ron Tremper's website.
>>
File: 20160413_004200.jpg (2 MB, 1825x2372) Image search: [Google]
20160413_004200.jpg
2 MB, 1825x2372
>>2100360
Thank you so much :)

Here she is a last time I fed her, like two days ago. She took a HUGE shit on my hand a few seconds after this, that was fun

>>2100363
Ah yes, the big man himself. I love his geckos but a lot of them always seem out of stock, I'm sure his lizards are in high demand, though
>>
>>2100371
That and you'll have to time it according to breeding seasons and when they can get them up to selling weight. I always say just shoot them an email and ask when the next batch will be.
>>
I think my bp has entered into her first hunger strike on me
this is the third week she has refused food.
she cruises around her tank like she's hungry, but when I present the rat she shies away from it.
I'm wondering if she's intimidated by their size? I did just move up to small rats and they fit in the 15-20% range but they are noticeably larger.
Guess I'll try a hopper next week and see what happens?
>>
File: popcorn's_viv_1.jpg (654 KB, 2760x856) Image search: [Google]
popcorn's_viv_1.jpg
654 KB, 2760x856
>>2099377
>>
File: popcorn.jpg (284 KB, 1032x581) Image search: [Google]
popcorn.jpg
284 KB, 1032x581
>>2100461

And, of course, a picture of the little sod who lives in this tank.
>>
>>2100463
>>
File: peanut.jpg (130 KB, 697x1239) Image search: [Google]
peanut.jpg
130 KB, 697x1239
>>2100464

This one passed away about a month ago. Not sure why.
>>
File: the lizard.png (1 MB, 581x1032) Image search: [Google]
the lizard.png
1 MB, 581x1032
>>2100465
>>
File: 20160413_103109.jpg (1 MB, 2120x1753) Image search: [Google]
20160413_103109.jpg
1 MB, 2120x1753
>>2100461
>>2100463
>>2100464
Cute lil guy. Not too sure about the sand, but at least you're using it properly and not just dumping it in there as the substrate. It's actually a very nice enclosure.

>>2100465
>>2100466
Also cute, I'm sorry for your loss. Did he just wind up dead one morning, or was he showing signs of illness?

Pic is my crestie, Junior Mint. He's a super cool guy, I love watching him move around in his enclosure in the evenings. I really want to get him some climbing vines so he has more places to crawl up high, but he's still little and his enclosure isn't huge. Anybody know any cheaper alternatives to gecko vines?
>>
My jungle carpet came in this morning. Its not very colorful yet(hopefully) but I forgot to snap a picture for /herp/ because she seems to have never been touched in her life and was a loaded gun straight out of the bag trying to tag me. She is also atleast 3' with my guess being a bit longer
>>
>>2100506
I got some decorative vines used for christmas decoration and cut them up.
I stripped the end and used the metal wire inside to hang them up then tapes them down,
>>
File: image.jpg (238 KB, 880x1184) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
238 KB, 880x1184
>>2099858
Well, your beardie seems to be very young, so it is better to feed him with live insect.
I was feeding mine with insenct everyday since I got him (he's now like half year old), and I am always leaving him some vegetable in his tank just to be sure.
Btw. This is him, Alduin wanted to say hello !
>>
>>2100521
If anyone has any tips to try and calm her down to I'd appreciate it., Plan on getting some gloves within the next week. When I was trying to inspect her when I first got her she was going crazy on my arm and then zoned in on my face and almost got me a few times. Doesnt shes quite a bit longer than my arm. Kinda kicking myself in the ass for not waiting for some hatchlings to become available online/waiting for repticon in 2 months to swing back by
>>
>>2100564

just time. she was stressed out from the trip for sure.
>>
>>2100591
>>2100564

also, tape some paper to the outside of her enclosure and remove some of it every three days. this lets her get used to the enclosure without distraction and slowly introduces the outside room to her.

don't bug her for at least one week unless you need to clean out stool or change water bowl.
>>
>>2100596
I currently have all but 1 side covered with cardboard so got that covered and yea I didnt plan on touching her for a week or so

Funny enough though shes listed on the paperwork as morelia spilota variegata which is a darwins python, her colors are still very dull as mentioned but she does have the pattern but I guess I shouldnt be expecting the nice bright yellows of a morelia spilota cheynie to come in should I
>>
>>2100609

yeah it won't be that yellow/black of the cheynei but the variegata do look really nice as adults too. colours will of course change some as snek grows. as for the dullness, you snek may also be coming in to shed right now.
>>
File: jungle_f_large[1].jpg (90 KB, 473x480) Image search: [Google]
jungle_f_large[1].jpg
90 KB, 473x480
>>2100674
this the picture they used for it on the site and its more or less exactly the same looking.
It being so dark is why I had assumed it was a hatchling. Have had thought about sending it back but I dont feel comfortable treating animals like a decoration I got from walmart

Might end up getting a cheynei down the line since I've been searching hard for one and the only place online that might have them right now is underground reptiles and im not so sure how reputable they are.
>>
>>2100564
Stressed out and juveniles are more nippy than adults.

Leave her alone for a week at least.
>>
File: Denis Lawson (16).png (487 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
Denis Lawson (16).png
487 KB, 1280x800
>when you breed your own feeder roaches and crickets and become attached to them
>>
>>2100683

I have no personal experience with carpets but your post made me curious. It turns out that the yellow does come out quite a bit with age, and hatchlings are also known to be dull. Check out the last post in the thread linked below. Someone has shown two of their carpets with photos taken at different ages.

ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?48403-Do-jungle-carpets-get-brighter-with-age
>>
>>2100719
Thats the thing the one I bought is atleast 3feet so that should be around a year or so from what I've read.

I feel like this would be alot less trouble if the rest of the world actually had access to new blood since australias a cunt with exporting
>>
>>2100506

Never had a problem with the sand considering most of the surface area is slate and what little sand there is he can't get his face into enough to eat it. He likes to dig, which is a benefit of the sand.

The crestie showed signs of illness in the days leading up to her death (lethargy, sitting on the floor of her viv instead of in the leave) but it was still fairly sudden.
>>
>>2100705
My leopard gecko no longer shows interest in mealworms now that I introduced him to Superworms. However I still have my mealworm colony going.
>>
>>2100434
Ball pythons only need 10-15% until they hit 500 grams. 15-20% is entirely unnecessary, that is what you'd feed to a retic, not a ball python. Honestly, I feel 10-15% is still too much, but a growing baby can handle it better than an adult.

Once they hit 500 grams, all you'll ever need the rest of their life are small rats every 2 weeks, even if the snake gets 3,000 grams and you're breeding it. The most you'd do if you're breeding is either feed weekly instead of biweekly, or offer mediums every 2 weeks but only while building follicles, once they're gravid they don't need to eat.

>>2100735
If it's a year old and still that dark, you're not going to have a colorful adult. It may get a bit brighter, but don't count on it being a particularly bright individual.
>>
>>2100901
oh yeah? well shit
she is right at the cusp of 500g though
I'll go back to hoppers for the time being though
>>
File: image.jpg (265 KB, 1108x1477) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
265 KB, 1108x1477
>>2100348
Here he pretending to be an arboreal gecko. He'll just sit there and survey everything and climb back down slowly after a few minutes.
>>
>>2100983
Damn, he's a real beauty
>>
>>2100705
Now you must watch them die, anon. It will make you stronger
>>
>>2096725
Why does it look like he's planning something so deliciously evil that it has to be fattening?
>>
File: IMG_00472.jpg (3 MB, 2136x1424) Image search: [Google]
IMG_00472.jpg
3 MB, 2136x1424
Caught this fucker in my backyard the other day.
>>
File: IMG_20160414_1225399.jpg (3 MB, 3608x3216) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160414_1225399.jpg
3 MB, 3608x3216
my beardie is starting to shed

also found out about its third eye
>>
Can someone please tell if its a normal thing for a bearded dragon to not reach full size by 2 years, because she still the size of a juvenile (about the size of my hand)
>>
>>2100911
If she's taking small rats and almost 500 grams, you can move down a size to weaned rats, you don't have to go as small as hoppers, whether they're rat or mouse hoppers. If she's nearly 500 grams, she won't be on them long and can be put on smalls soon.
>>
>>2099335
Update
Checked it today and found a layer of mold forming. Immediately dumped it and cleaned out the humidity box. Was finally able to find another shop that carried sphagnum moss and swapped that back in. So buyer beware, frog moss isn't a substitute for humidity hides
>>
>>2101084

you live in Madagascar, anon? or Florida maybe, the wiki says some phelsuma were released there as a form of pest control.
>>
>>2101271

you can just use paper towel if you want. dries out faster but i find it easier to deal with overall.
>>
File: 913t58h123nm.jpg (42 KB, 405x692) Image search: [Google]
913t58h123nm.jpg
42 KB, 405x692
Anyone have experience with ball pythons eating thawed frozen? I hear they can be picky eaters but otherwise seem like an ideal starter snake for me. They're all cute as fuck.

I could feed live if I had to but would generally prefer not to.
>>
>>2101331
My ball has only ever been fed on f/t and has had 0 problems
Only had him 2 years but hes only ever refused food once from me.

Great starter snake imo. They can go on hunger strikes though for quite awhile but its nothing to worry over unless they start losing weight or otherwise looking bad.

Live is a bad idea due to the fact small mammals have claws and teeth and will use them to defend themselves
>>
>>2101296
Probably either florida or hawaii.
>>
Here's Leonardo, he passed away in 2012...

He was my leo-bro and I miss him dearly. He was 13 years old.

I'll post a pic of my fiance's bearded dragon next.
>>
>>2101360

Cocaine addiction, huh? Yeah. I get that. Some little guys got it rough
>>
>>2101360
This is Ella eating her salad, and my daughter doing the same. I love dem both so much!

>>2101361
Yeah, sorry. I was a sloppy herper in my younger days. I think that pic was taken in 2010 or 2011
>>
File: 1455646455807.jpg (769 KB, 2121x1591) Image search: [Google]
1455646455807.jpg
769 KB, 2121x1591
One of my cresties. Small enough in this picture to not be able to sex, even with a loupe and pores. Turned out to be a girl. She is housed with a boy (for about 2 years now). He was trying to give her the ole in-n-out a month ago. Got a moist egg bed ready just in case.
>>
File: 1449114410070.jpg (578 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
1449114410070.jpg
578 KB, 2048x1536
>>2101363
>Yeah, sorry. I was a sloppy herper in my younger days.

I have no idea what is going on there, to be honest. I have cresties and a frilled dragon. I've never had a leapord gecko, so didn't presume to know what the white powder was. Just reminded me of the 80's.
>>
>>2101367
I get made fun of for that pic because of too much calcium powder for him to lick up.

That and it looks like its everywhere, much like the 80's
>>
File: IMG_0050.jpg (615 KB, 2136x1424) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0050.jpg
615 KB, 2136x1424
>>2101296
>>2101346
Close to Madagascar, it's considered an invasive species here as it's eating and taking over habitat of another endemic species of gecko.
>>
>>2101360
He was a cute one
>>
>>2101331
I started out feeding mine live, he ate live for 5-6 years before I attempted to switch him and it took 1.5 years to make the switch. I rarely ever have to feed live now, only when he loses a bunch of weight (which almost never happens).

Get one started on f/t and you generally should be fine.

They very much can be picky eaters, they can be picky about eating f/t or live, eating mice/ASF/rats, and they often go on fasts.
>>
So lately I've been considering adding a snake to my collection, but I don't know what kind I should get. I've never had a snake before, but I have a lot of other herps, so I no newb on being able to care for it.

I just can't decide what to get. I know BPs are an obvious recommendation, but I know they usually have feeding annoyances, and it really pisses me off when an animal won't eat just because. I have a toad right now who's being a picky fat bastard about eating and it's really chafing my nuts.

However, I'm not really sure I'd like a corn snake or any Colubrid, because honestly, they just don't look very interesting physically, and I'm afraid I'd find myself getting bored with it whether I like it or not.

I'd really like something that catches the eye, but is relatively easy of care and isn't prone to shitty eating habits. Any suggestions?
>>
>>2101530
>close to Madagascar
La Reunion?
>>
>>2101761
Yes.
>>
>>2101331
If breeder was good and started them on frozen/thawed right from the start it's no problem. Ball pythons do go on long fasts sometimes but that's just normal BP behaviour.
>>
>>2101758
Sure, for non-colubrids check out rosy boa, kenyan sand boa, children's python, woma python (sometimes expensive). If you have other herp keeping experience you can handle something like a green tree python too, they're just more advanced because proper humidity is very important for them.
>>
>>2101777
Oh, also western hognose if legal in your area.
>>
>>2101777
>>2101779
I've found both the Rosy Boa and the Hognoses to be really interesting little sneks. Definitely going to look into those two, there's a reptile show near me in a few weeks.

I like Kenyan Sand Boas too, but I heard that you'll essentially never see them out in their enclosures because they spend all their time underground
>>
File: IMG_1009.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1728) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1009.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1728
>>2101758
Boa constrictors are a great species. If a snake potentially getting 6'-9'+ is a problem for you, there are also dwarf localities that should never exceed 6', such as Nicaraguans, Crawl Cay, and Tarahumara. I believe amaralis also stay pretty small.

These guys are wonderful eaters in general, you'll only have problems if you overfeed or your husbandry is way off. Or you get an unestablished baby. Don't buy newborns, a reliable breeder will wait for 3-4 successful meals before selling. I've been seeing a lot of people buying babies so young they haven't even had their first shed lately, so be aware of that.

This is a photo I took of a boa at Repticon that obviously hasn't even had its first shed. They look overly shiny when they're that young.

>>2101779
Hoggies are well known to have feeding problems. They don't naturally eat mammals, and they go on strikes a lot.
>>
File: 1430007009193.jpg (41 KB, 492x519) Image search: [Google]
1430007009193.jpg
41 KB, 492x519
>go to feed the BP a rat pup
>grabs and coils without any problems
>goes to swallow
>everything's fine until she got to the forearms
>mfw I hear something go "squeak" on the inside
>>
>>2101902
Maybe something of that size far later in my life, but for now, I want something that's going to stay rather small. I'd say 4-5 feet would be the absolute max at this point

Given what you said about hoggies, I think I'm going to seriously consider the Rosy Boa
>>
>>2101908
Yeah, one of the dwarves I listed should fit the bill, they'll average 3'-5'.

Rosy boas are also a species that should eat like a pig, and shouldn't get much over 3', if they get that big.
>>
>>2101911
Yep, sex determines size range for rosys. Females will be larger adult size than males. But both stay small, relatively speaking. 3 feet is about max for a big female.
>>
File: 20151107_145922.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20151107_145922.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>2101902
Got a young red tail imperator recently, she's so chill.
>>
How old do leos usually get? How old were your oldest ones? I got a pair that i've had since I was a kid, they are turning 20 or 21 this year.
>>
File: WP_000176.jpg (399 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
WP_000176.jpg
399 KB, 1632x1224
>>2101758

Seconding Boa constrictors.
>>
>>2101777
>>2101879

Have a Kenyan Sand Boa. Can confirm boring as shit. I never see him unless he's burrowing up against the edge of his tank and even then he's just sitting there. He doesn't like being handled and he refuses a lot of meals.
>>
File: snek.png (219 KB, 343x325) Image search: [Google]
snek.png
219 KB, 343x325
>>2101902
>>2102431
Not the guy asking but i've been looking to get a boa lately. Does anybody know if anery boas are rare or common? Love how they look but I can't find anything on how hard to find they are.
>>
>>2102395
Average 15-20. Not that unusual to get to 25+.
>>
File: WP_000177.jpg (472 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
WP_000177.jpg
472 KB, 1632x1224
>>2102431

New viv arrived Friday and it's pretty hefty. Will post a pic when it's all set up.
>>
>>2102448
boas are incredibly common
>>
File: IMG_1071.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1728) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1071.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1728
>>2102448
Colombian Boa imperator is incredibly common, the other species/localities are harder to come by, and Boa constrictor requires a softer hand in care (they can't eat any near as big of meas as Boa imperator and slightly cooler temps) so they're generally not recommended for boa constrictor newbies.

Anery morph boas are also pretty common, but I don't see as many single gene aneries for sale as anery combos. But, they shouldn't be very difficult to find at all.

Here's my sunglow poss het anery.
>>
File: WP_000187.jpg (427 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
WP_000187.jpg
427 KB, 1632x1224
Took the new viv out of the box to find it's damaged as shit.
>>
File: WP_000182.jpg (467 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
WP_000182.jpg
467 KB, 1632x1224
>>2103269
>>
File: WP_000188.jpg (394 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
WP_000188.jpg
394 KB, 1632x1224
>>2103270
>>
>>2103269
That blows
how long until you get a new one?
>>
anyone have any experience with gilbert's skinks or a similar western species?
I just fished one out of my pool, and I'd like to keep him around.
I have him in a little plastic tub right now, planning to pick up a ten gallon and some mealworms while I'm at work.
I'm guessing he's gonna want a hot end at about 80-90, so I'll have to grab a light too.
a small water dish, a couple hides should be good.
At least until I can figure out what I'm going to use to let him burrow
>>
File: lUYOU3Qh.jpg (62 KB, 576x1024) Image search: [Google]
lUYOU3Qh.jpg
62 KB, 576x1024
>>2103372
forgot picture
he's also clearly lost his tail at one point and its regrown
>>
File: download.png (7 KB, 251x201) Image search: [Google]
download.png
7 KB, 251x201
My crested gecko shed his head but nothing else for 2 weeks,the old skin is stuck to him. I did high humidity treatment but no luck. What should I do?
>>
>>2103372
judging by your post you're gonna keep it like shit

just release it
>>
>>2103315

Retailer is sending replacements for the damaged parts for free. I now have two fuck-huge damaged melamine boards and no idea what to do with them.
>>
>>2103388
Uh huh and what part of my post is that anon?
I can pretty much figure out what he needs based on where I found him
But it doesn't help there's exactly one care sheet full of potentially dubious information
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 103

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.