[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are harnesses a thing? Are they a meme accessory? You won't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: Harness.jpg (13 KB, 339x293) Image search: [Google]
Harness.jpg
13 KB, 339x293
Why are harnesses a thing?
Are they a meme accessory?

You won't get control over your dog with this shitty belt
>>
They're for dogs that are already trained not to pull.

Alternatively, they're used specifically FOR weightpulling.

Unless you mean front clip harnesses, and those just fuck up dog's front legs.
>>
>>2095755
I thought they were to stop you from choking the shit out of a tiny ass dog.
>>
>>2095755
I've seen so many dogs that pull their owners while wearing these things.
>>
File: IMG_20160406_200557.jpg (199 KB, 918x918) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160406_200557.jpg
199 KB, 918x918
I just walked my puppy on a harness for the first time after correcting him with a collar for about 2 weeks.

I felt better about giving him a jerk to make him come forward to heel when he lagged behind and ignored the command, Im using a 15ft retractable leash which I let him use most of the time.

I have ordered him a higher quality harness for running on the 50ft longline at the beach and for securing him in the vehicles.
>>
I use a harness with packs for hikes so my dog can carry his own water, food and shit bags.
>>
preferable because collars can seriously mess up your dogs trachea and spine
>>
>>2095805
>retractable lead
stop
>>
I only use a harness. I had a Doberman that had to have extensive neck surgery, and since then I have only used harnesses.
>>
>>2095750
>>2095768
that's more to do with the dog being untrained than any type of gear

>>2095821
this is adorable

>>2095833
this. using a harness during heel training has much less risk of damage to the dog when it acts up
>>
>>2095750
Toy/Small Breed dogs need to be walked with harnesses because they're prone to collapsing trachea.
>>
My dog has had surgery on her throat so just attaching the leash to her collar isn't an option.
>>
I use a harness on my dog. He doesn't pull much anymore, but he is prone to planting himself with all his strength to sniff a smell. I don't feel as bad dragging him along or tugging on his leash... it won't fuck up his throat. I honestly think harnesses are great.

He's made great progress since I started to do more positive training too. The only thing I can't get out of him is diving towards people and other dogs. It's not aggressive, he just wants to be friends with everyone. Any suggestions in positive ways, or should I break out a squirt gun and use punishment?
>>
>>2095833

dingdingding, also some breeds like the other poster's Dobie should really never have collars.
>>
File: harness2.jpg (2 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
harness2.jpg
2 MB, 2448x2448
I think overall, harnesses are the best options. Especially if you have 2 dogs or small dogs. Sure, in a best case scenario your dog should always walk perfectly all the time, but that just isn't totally realistic. I walk 2 dogs and things happen. Sometimes another less obedient dog lunges at them, and I have to pull them closer. Maybe one of them stopped to poop and I didn't notice and kept walking and pulled one of my dogs.

Pulling happens. Whether its their fault or mine. I'd rather the pulling being more spread out over their chest than around their neck. If I had bigger dogs, I would still use a harness.

I also like the harnesses I have a lot. They are bright safety colors and reflective. You can't tell in this pic, but it has a nice handle on the top if you need to grab them. Got it on amazon if anyone wants to try a harness.
>>
>>2095755
My dog has a front clip harness because she hates other dogs and when she tries to lunge at other dogs, one little tug is all it takes to redirect her lunge backwards. Say what you want about the harnesses, but when they can easily redirect an aggressive dog with a tug therye extremely useful.
>>
>>2095853

Hes only 16kg, why would I bother with a long leash now and a walking leash when I can have two in one solution.
>>
>>2095853
You can use them responsibly, they have a bad reputation because most people are idiots.
>>
>>2095853
I like to use mine to give my dog freedom to roam in the park a little bit separate from me. I usually walk with a standard lead though.
>>
>>2095750
they are useful for big dogs
mine still pulls a bit on the leash and if he were hooked up to just a collar i feel like it could cause some issues for him. i only put the harness on when we walk though
>>
>>2095853
What's wrong with them?
>>
>>2095750
You can damage some dog's throats with simple collars. Especially smaller dogs or dogs with longer necks.

We use harnesses for our small dogs because they would constantly cough and splutter when we used collars (during and after the walks).

We used to have 2 large dogs whose necks were short and thick though, we used to use choke chains on them just fine.
>>
>>2096119
Nothing, that's called a shitpost.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.