[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Beekeping
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
Been beekeeping for a local bee farm and while the manager has done a great job teaching me things and how to help operate the hives on my own, I find myself still struggling a bit to keep up and end up asking him the same questions often.

For those who are beekeepers, do any of you recommend a book to get me familiar with vocabulary or just certain ideas? I've been looking at these two but I'm somewhat conflicted because the reviews are good for both.

http://www.amazon.com/Beekeeping-For-Dummies-Howland-Blackiston/dp/1118945468?ie=UTF8&keywords=beekeeping&qid=1459393813&ref_=sr_1_6&sr=8-6

http://www.amazon.com/Backyard-Beekeeper-Absolute-Beginners-beekeeping/dp/159253919X?ie=UTF8&keywords=beekeeping&qid=1459393813&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1
>>
>>2093604
Dummies was useful for me. A bit cringe worthy sometimes in how it tries to appeal to people but solid info. That being said the experience you are getting will trump any book
>>
>>2093605
Yeah I guess I just wanted something to supplement it. I am surprised with how much I've learned though.

Maybe I'm trying to impress him or myself, who knows
>>
I'm a beekeeper, but still pretty amateur. It seems to me like the only way to learn is to do it. People will tell you a million different ways to keep bees with minute differences, but a lot of it just comes down to chance. Bees are fickle and individual colonies will all vary in production depending on the area around them to forage, climate, presence of parasites/disease, etc. The only way to do consistently well at it is to have a lot of hives to work with. Huge commercial operations lose something like a third of all their bee a year but can then double their populations by splitting hives in the spring.
>>
>>2093646
Well it's a bit harder to say "just do it" when it's something like the bees are making a swarm cell or queen cell or there is some disease going around. Not trying to sound like a jerk. It's just I find myself asking him the same questions about what is what in the hive and if I had some reference I could look at at home, it would help me remember it easier.
>>
>>2093646
Also I know this will get me flogged but the beekeeping subreddit is full of helpful and experienced people.
>>
>>2093652
I'll keep that in mind, thanks
>>
>>2093650

I think maybe go buy some books that are a bit more technical.

Not "bees for dummies and beginners"
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.