[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My mother relayed me a story from her past, where she had a chicken
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: FatTire.jpg (53 KB, 600x584) Image search: [Google]
FatTire.jpg
53 KB, 600x584
My mother relayed me a story from her past, where she had a chicken that got bitten by a dog in the behind and developed an infection as a result. It got infested with maggots and she had to clean it out and nurse it back to health. When she was done, the cloaca (or whatever it is called) was healed shut and the chicken couldn't lay eggs properly.

Somehow, that story made me sad. Btw, this story happened several decades ago in the Anatolian countryside, so going to the vet for a chicken would be unrealistic, as in, there were many PEOPLE who couldn't go to the doctor, let alone small animals. But assuming it was in a place where veterinary care is easy to access and money being no issue, what could've been done to ameliorate the suffering of the bird? Is euthanasia/slaughter the only good option?
>>
If it was taken in right away it probably could have healed in a way so the cloaca wasn't shut.
>>
>>2092755
Maybe could have put something in the cloaca so it could heal around the natural opening but not close with scar tissue. The foreign object would have to be held in place with some kind of harness. I'm thinking something similar to the "spoon" they use when an ewe prolapses. Ugh, poor chicken. I think putting it out of its misery would have been best, however. The cloaca is for egg-laying but also elimination. So if it scarred over, the chicken would die of sepsis because it couldn't poop.

This post has made me sad, anon.
>>
>>2092896
That's actually pretty close to what you would do aside from you should use a straw. It's the typical treatment for a fixable prolapse
>>
Bump?
>>
Realistically it probably should have just been put down
>>
>this thread
I want google to go, now. NOW!
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.