[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm the guy who posted a few weeks ago about just bringing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: pupperr.jpg (2 MB, 1936x1936) Image search: [Google]
pupperr.jpg
2 MB, 1936x1936
So I'm the guy who posted a few weeks ago about just bringing pic related (Violet) home. She's incredibly smart, cute as fuck and well-mannered (almost as an adult!) in the house.
The problem is that I think I have to "re-bond" with Violet, as she seems to be afraid of me because I am more "stern" whereas my parents are more friendly and permissive.
>inb4 abuser, I'm not subhuman
She's 10 1/2 weeks old, and been home two weeks. Is it possible for me to re-bond with her so that I become "her" human rather than my mum? My dad is retired so he's here all day and babies the shit out of her, while my mum works full-time but is the "dog whisperer" of the family.
>>
>I'm such a piece of shit even puppies know it
try being less of a garbageperson
>>
You're going to rehome her because she likes your parents more? Just try to be more gentle with her. Do a lot of training with lots of treats. Teach her all of the tricks so you get lots of positive interaction
>>
>>2092489
>rehome
give her away? hell no.

We got her originally for me, to become a seizure-response service dog. The 8th-10th weeks of life are normally the human-dog bonding period, and I think I screwed that up by setting my expectations too high for her age and not giving enough affection and praise in return. I want, no, NEED her to bond with me so she can help me in most any situation I may find myself in.
>>
>>2092481
when you first posted we told you that you didn't have the right attitude for a pet

now you're going to dislike your dog forever because you are its master. well, tough shit. my dog likes my girlfriend better because she was never the one to punish etc

this is reality, and no you can't change it. bonding with your dog comes from spending time and playing with it.
>>
>>2092575
>to become a seizure-response service dog.

you purchase one of these, you don't attempt to hand-train one when you clearly aren't an experience trainer. these dogs are expensive and relying on one for seizure response that you trained yourself just isn't going to work. you are not a professional and the programs they put those dogs through are rigorous and start at 6 weeks of age. most dogs do not make it and are kicked out of the programs.

you can't just buy a puppy and expect to turn it into a seizure dog. honestly don't know what you were thinking
>>
>>2092588
I know how the training works. Real service-dog training begins when the dog is a year old, but I wanted her to start her getting versed in normal dog-training when she had barely left her family as a baby, and that was probably too much to ask at this age. Hell, she is not even *quite* housebroken yet, but we've had 3 accidents in 2 weeks, so it's promising.

>>2092588
I'll be working with a trained professional when she is of age. I know the programs you are talking about, but I can't afford them, ergo I must do it myself with the aid of a professional whose program doesn't cost tens of thousands of dollars. And the trainer I'm going with is certified and not some backyard Cesar Millan.
>>
File: 1458040895848.png (1 MB, 1018x728) Image search: [Google]
1458040895848.png
1 MB, 1018x728
>>2092612
>I know how the training works
Obviously not enough to form a bond with the pupper

>When she is of age
Too late

You're already setting her up for failure by expecting so much of her rather than just being her friend.
>>
>>2092613
>You're already setting her up for failure by expecting so much of her rather than just being her friend.

That's what I am asking. Is there still time to make that bond between just the two of us (moreso than with the 'rents) by doing a 180 in attitude starting now, or is it too late?
>>
File: 1457507456758.jpg (1 MB, 3295x1957) Image search: [Google]
1457507456758.jpg
1 MB, 3295x1957
>>2092481

Relax. She's too young. She knows what she likes and what she doesn't. That's it. It means nothing.

She isn't old enough to respect you yet. She will be about 6 months old before you can really tell who she respects. Friendliness means nothing.

My dogs LOVE my wife. They jump on her and get all excited every time she shows up. She is super friendly, not at all assertive, just fun-fun-fun. You know who they don't jump on? Me. Because they respect me. I can give them a dirty look and they will go to their crate. I can hold a piece of ham in the air and their asses hit the floor so hard it shakes the china cabinet. I can throw a ball and they fight over who gets to bring it back. That is what you want. Without that respect, you will never be able to control them. They have to WANT to please you. If you're just their best friend, they don't give a shit about please you. You have to be someone they trust and rely on.
>>
>>2092636

Just to expand on this, the first signs of respect I saw as my dogs were getting older were how they tried to play when we were on the couch. With my wife, they'd jump on her and trying to lay in her lap. They'd nip at her hands. If she had food, they'd tried to snatch it. They'd bark at her if she took the food or her hands away. They didn't obey commands like sit, leave it, down, etc unless they were extremely calm and treats were present. ...

For me, they never jumped on me, never tried to get in my lap, would sniff my food but leave when I told them to, never nipped at my hands (never even moved their eyes to them really, just ignored it). Their favorite thing was to put their head next to my thigh. 4 feet on the floor, head rested on the couch seat by my leg. They'd wait there to get petted.

So as your dog gets older, you can watch for these things. But you really should look up how to show assertiveness and dominance for your girl. She will look to you for answers, but you have to convince her that you have them first. Their playthings don't have those answers.

As an after story - They still spend 80% of the time in the living room hounding her. They've gotten a lot better about listening to her over time, but still get really excited about her being around. And that's fine. At night, they're sleeping on the floor next to my side of the bed. That says it all.
>>
>>2092575
Whoops I misread re-bond for rehome. My bad

>>2092612
Isn't there some kind of government funding to get seizure dogs so you don't have it pay or at least don't have to pay as much?
>>
>>2092735
>Isn't there some kind of government funding to get seizure dogs

In America, where our healthcare system is a circus, insurance companies are responsible for that. And you have to prove to them that it's a necessary expense. And it has to be damn good insurance. Any real service dog (not the "emotional-support" bullshit these days, but actual seeing eye dogs and such) generally run $12,000 and up and go through 4 years of training before they're ready.

They're making a push to switch to miniature horses because they can be trained to perform tasks to the blind, and live a looooooooooot longer making the return on investment enormous.

Imagine spending $12,000 a dog that's already for yours old. There is a 20% chance it will die within 5 years, depending on the breed. Crazy.
>>
>>2092876
Emotional support animals aren't necessarily bullshit. I have one and she has greatly improved my quality of life. It's just that there are people who abuse it. :/
>>
>>2092876
My brother is wheelchair bound and his service dogs were less than 2. The first one's training didn't stick though and maybe that happened often so they added 2 more years of training since.

I can't remember how much my parents paid but $12K sounds about right. Don't know if insurance covered it but we got them because they doubled as emotional support and handicapped daily life support
>>
>>2092575
You already fucked up your seizure dog. Gooduck getting the shakes and having your puppy playing all around your useless body

>>2092612
>'I can do it myself!!'
>already fucked up the easiest and most vital part of raising a puppy

Any sort of training for a puppy this young needs to be strictly positive reinforcement so your pup doesn't get the wrong idea about you, especially when there are other people in the house the puppy likes more. Also don't expect too much out of a literal baby animal. Taking the dog on walks, even if it's just around your property, is a great way to get a bond with the dog.
>>
my dog loves me the most, and i was the one to punish him. just be slightly nicer and youll create a close bond
>>
>>2092481

Honestly, your pretty much screwed. All details aside, you can't raise a dog they way you want to with other people always around it. My wife and I have great communication about how we are supposed to handle situations there's a ton of consistency in reinforcements, punishments, and praise. We work as a team.

You're living situation is clearly different and I doubt there's any way to correct it to the point of raising a good work dog. So many mixed signals. So little structure. It probably thinks every human is a different species and has different "rules of engagement."

For example, it will think jumping on your mom is okay, but not you, and not your day, and he this dog has to learn it all over again when they meet someone new. Instead, it should be "I am not supposed to jump on any human"

Long story short, give up on the service dog thing, start thinking of it as a family pet (not YOUR pet, because it's really not despite what technicality you rode in on). And until your entire family gets serious about consistent training and treatment (no one babying the dog, no single punisher, etc), just accept it'll be like every other fucked up dog in the suburbs.
>>
>>2092880
Ya my friend was able to get her dog turned into one so she could bring it in stores-which she honestly needed. She suffered from some ptsd, a bad heart and panic attacks. Being able to hold her dog helped tremendously with the panic attacks and kept her out of the hospital because her heart couldn't handle it.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.