[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think of Blackfish, /an/? Left-wing propaganda or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7
File: BLACKFISH_Film_Poster.jpg (41 KB, 259x383) Image search: [Google]
BLACKFISH_Film_Poster.jpg
41 KB, 259x383
What do you think of Blackfish, /an/? Left-wing propaganda or the truth behind the cruelty exposed? Is SeaWorld as evil as it claims to be?
>>
>>2092392
>expose of truthful events that happened
>propaganda

there isn't an argument to be made; it comes down to either you hate animals or you don't. that will determine how you feel about the documentary.
>>
>>2092395
first post best post
>>
How many blackfish threads do we really need? Regardless, shit's to be taken with a hefty grain of salt and should not be believed at face value.
>>2092395
kek
>>
>>2092405
>>2092411
>snarky responses

were orcas kept inside in pens barely big enough to turn around in with no interaction with other orcas for many hours of the day

yes or no. guess what, sea world will not dispute this, and it alone constitutes horrendous abuse akin to solitary confinement in prison for a thinking animal.
>>
>>2092413
"Were" and "Are" are vastly different things. We did many despicable things in the past, seaworld included. That doesn't mean they do it now, and that especially doesn't mean they can't improve even more from where they've been. Modern Cetacean care and conservation can improve, but it is distressing to see people who are massively misinformed rally against practically anything Seaworld does. If you guys actually cared you'd wanna see Seaworld improve the habitats and help improve the orca's lives, not just sit there and whine about things you barely know about.
>>
>>2092431
people who complain about things usually don't want them fixed.

they want to complain, and if you take away the problem they're complaining about they'll just find a new one.

or invent one.
>>
>>2092392
Propaganda for idiot liberals

>black fish
>actually a mammal

BRAVO NOLAN
>>
Mix of both probably
>>
>>2092411
this film was a huge driving force behind them ending their captive breeding program, new partnership with the humane society of America and revamp of their education efforts. if they didn't need to change, they wouldn't have
>>
>>2093028
yes, they believe as you do that blackfish caused their sales to drop.

their sales were dropping before the film though. And every amusement park in the US except Disney has seen flat or declining sales.

it's possible the film had no effect at all, but SeaWorld isn't going to take that risk.
>>
File: 1381102332217.jpg (25 KB, 345x243) Image search: [Google]
1381102332217.jpg
25 KB, 345x243
>>2092395
>>2092392
The second poster had the answer. I am a LIFELONG commercial fisherman and fisheries scientist, I know 2 men from the original crews that captured the original animals, they both regret it and think about it constantly.

What they did to those animals was inhuman. I accept fact that at the time they MAY have thought they were doing some good, but, if you know anything about killer what ecology.................put that faggot in a cage?................dude come on.
>>
>>2092392
Decent docco that confirmed alot of what people already suspected. It's good to see that they will end the inadequate faculties. It's just whether or not they will find a way to not only improve the already captive orcas lives, but keep revenue up to help conservation efforts.

Either way this is a good thing. I have yet heard a decent argument as to why black fish is misleading. In b4 now that orcas are gone it will decrease awareness. That's a bad argument. Any others I'd me more than happy to know about, the movie has very credible sources and I've yet to see anyone dispute the main points.
>>
I had already been reading a lot on the topic of captive orcas before I saw Blackfish, so the movie ended up feeling a little limited; it just compiled a bunch of stuff I already knew. But I guess it was still okay enough.

>>2093209
>I have yet heard a decent argument as to why black fish is misleading.
https://seaworldcares.com/en/the-facts/truth-about-blackfish/
Scroll down and click the link "69 reasons you shouldn't believe Blackfish". It's Seaworld's side of the story and their rebuttal against the movie. They have some good arguments and some shoddy ones.
>>
>>2092431
shill
>>
File: WHALE.png (20 KB, 135x90) Image search: [Google]
WHALE.png
20 KB, 135x90
'Sea world" is really evil, imagine being an orca that performs weird stunts for some small fish.

But, "Blackfish" is full of flaws, and, the orca isn't considered a fish
>>
File: 220px-Shamu1.jpg (16 KB, 220x148) Image search: [Google]
220px-Shamu1.jpg
16 KB, 220x148
>>2093324

They didn't really mean that the orca is a fish

Tilikum got some revenge in 2010
>>
Bottom line is that the ocean is fucked. Everything in it will practically be dead in the next 100 years. The only way that many of these species will survive is through captive breeding efforts, which is why they should just invest in more research and education into how they can better keep the whales (basically they need enclosures a fuck ton bigger than what they have now) and keeping them in family oriented pods.
Besides all that, all of sea worlds whales cannot be released, because they would just die. They've been captively raised and hand-feed their whole life, and couldn't possibly survive in the wild. Even if they stop breeding (which they won't, they'll just say that the breeding events that happen are natural, and not AI), the 30 or so whales are going to remain in captivity their whole lives, and not released into the wild. Cuz that'd be stupid.
>>
>>2092392
>What do you think of Blackfish, /an/?
I think it's retarded that the film is called black FISH when whales are mammals.
>>
File: 220px-Malia_and_Kayla_orca.jpg (10 KB, 220x165) Image search: [Google]
220px-Malia_and_Kayla_orca.jpg
10 KB, 220x165
Can you stop torturing those cute mammals

THAT FILM IS A DISASTER

AND SEAWORLD IS A TORTURING ROOM FOR WHALES AND DOLPHINS (AND SEA LIONS)
>>
>>2093348
I would think that if you are so closed minded that you can't look past the theatrical liberties taken with the title, then the documentary would probably be a waste on you anyway. In other words, get over yourself you pedantic fuck.
>>
File: I'M CUTE .png (26 KB, 128x90) Image search: [Google]
I'M CUTE .png
26 KB, 128x90
Killer whales are cute....

Sadly, so many of them are held in captive areas
>>
>>2093675
Cute....

But, I'll show you something better and more adorable..
>>
>>2093675
Only 56 are captive. Not that many.
>>
>>2092392
>Is SeaWorld as evil as it claims to be?
unless i'm mistaken, seaworld has always tried to claim the exact opposite. are you sure you aren't spreading leftist propaganda yourself, OP?
>>
The thumbnails ITT are worse than the documentary
>>
>>2093321
Ah that list, that list was a fun read the first time I saw it. The epitome of one step forward, two steps back.
>literally justifies not being punished for past whale capture because it was in the past
That made my day to see shit that rediculous.
>>
>>2093706
>a corporation wouldn't lie to save themselves or their image, or their profit, you really think someone would do that
Forget about the market crash in 2008 already did we? That was fast.
>>
>>2092392
I dont really care for animals being in captivity. But just think for a second, OP. How the hell can you justify keeping a 30'+, most likely sentient, adorable blob of brain and blubber in a tank that's maybe 100ft across?
The things need to swim tens if not hundreds of miles a day to keep healthy.
>>
>>2092392
The truth exposed? Yes.
Propaganda? Yes.
Propaganda doesn't have to be a bad thing, and that isn't some inner communist talking. They wanted to get a populace to consider a point and change a society, a working example of propaganda. Perhaps not to the definition, but it's the best it gets.

But we're not here for /pol/itics, are we? I think Sea World should close, relocate, and reopen as a more animal friendly, truth telling, zoo-ergonomic environment. They already make a lot of money, and they could even get a large sponsor like Apple or something to help them out with funding and technology for a new park. Only issue is the workers. They'd have to lay off a lot of people and hire a shit ton of illegals to run the park.
>>
what fucking ass holes
>>
>>2092457
you are so fucking autistic for posting this every time.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.