[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thinking of getting another dog in year or so. I have ptsd and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: MTMxNDk3MTU1MDU0NTg1ODY2.png (1 MB, 940x524) Image search: [Google]
MTMxNDk3MTU1MDU0NTg1ODY2.png
1 MB, 940x524
Thinking of getting another dog in year or so. I have ptsd and anxiety, so the idea of having one sent for some service dog training on top of self training has crossed my mind. I'm fairly experienced with dogs and training. I do a lot of hiking, camping, and general /out/ stuff. I've considered a few breeds, but haven't decided. I'd be open to others too.

Akita pros:
>Large, good visual deterrent
>Lower energy, does alright lounging around/apartment life during down months
>Very quiet, not barky
>Independant, not clingy

Akita cons:
>Thick coat and undercoat
>Independance may detract from trainability and usefulness
>Odd appearance for a service animal
Cattle dog pros:
>Short, easy coat
>High drive and intellligence; highly trainable
>Great for hiking/camping/etc.
>Generally healthy

Cattle dog cons:
>Smaller than I'd like
>May be too high energy and drive
German shepherd pros:
>Very trainable
>Good size, good visual deterrent
>Looks like a common service dog

German shepherd cons:
>Often unhealthy
>Thick coat, shedding
>Too much variation in health, temperment, etc. bc overbred
Malinois pros:
>High drive, very trainable
>Great for hiking/camping/etc.
>Easy coat
>Service dog appearance

Malinois cons:
>May be too drivey and energetic
>>
Go for anything at the local pound, special breeds tend to be overly expensive inbred shits while pound dogs are cheap and need the love and attention more than anything
>>
>>2091270
I want a solid dog that has been handled, socialized, and started training by its breeder as a puppy, pre 8 weeks. First 12 weeks are super important. Fuck this hur dur moral mutts bullshit.
>>
File: bach-obedience[1].jpg (180 KB, 626x485) Image search: [Google]
bach-obedience[1].jpg
180 KB, 626x485
A non shedding coat is always a huge plus. Since you seem to want a large dog, the Bouvier des Flandres would be perfect.
>>
>>2091300
Dont want to deal with shaving.
>>
>>2091304
You can easily learn to shave the dog yourself with a clipper if you're going for just a standard cut. Anything other than the standard cut looks retarded anyways.
>>
>>2091304
One of our dogs is a poodle mix and her upkeep is actually easier due to lack of shedding. Shaving every so often is actually a welcome alternative to cleaning shed off of everything, imo
>>
Here's some advice from someone who has been through training etc.
Look online for someone around you who has experience training service dogs. They'll know what to look for and can assist you with training

Alternatively, you could look into some programs that train and match for you, but those aren't always cheap

If you want to do it all yourself, make sure you look for a dog that is calm, focuses on you, and is fairly smart. That is why labs, cattle dogs, and german Shepards are common service dogs
Also I wouldn't go for an Akita just because they are known to be aggressive. Plus, they are very expensive

Truthfully you can train any dog to be a service dog, but not just anyone can. You need to know what you are doing and how to get your dog to do it. Service dog training is more for an expert dog handler, and if you can't dedicate time and effort into training your dog, don't bother trying to train by yourself
>>
>>2091647
I've had dogs before that required it. I work partially as a groomer right now too. What I said is what I meant: I don't want to deal with it. The end.
>>
File: protection dogs.jpg (76 KB, 1170x380) Image search: [Google]
protection dogs.jpg
76 KB, 1170x380
>>2091199
Try these guys OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDaMdkrDXKE
>>
>>2091199
Support your local pit bull adoption center today.
>>
>>2091199
Your pic related looks like a fucking pic of 9/11.
>>
my senpai has had both akitas and sheps. it's hit or miss if you'll get a friendly dog, and by friendly i mean good with other people. our dogs were always good with us but some were a little over protective, which isnt the worst trait. you just cant be a careless dumbass. our shep now memorizes tv commercials. theyre really smart dogs. i'd honestly recommend adopting a mutt though. they last longer than purebreds and can be just as smart. just dont be a pitbull fag that has to tell everyone that their dog is friendly. pitbull owners are worst people out there
>>
Just get a golden retriever
>>
>>2095087
it is 9/11 dumbass

>>2091199
same german akita guy from yesterday? Your thread still exists. a bunch more people came in and told you not to get an akita.

It's a practically universal sentiment
>>
>tfw all the breeds you're considering are prone to aggression except the cattle dog
>even ACDs are popping up on lists of dogs banned by apartments
need to be a special snowflake that badly?

>Akita
>low energy
oh my sides
>>
>>2091270
Majority of shelter dogs are unsuitable due to lack of early socialization, behavior problems, or hip/elbow dysplasia.
>>
I love Shar peis they are so docile. Very obedient. And their short fur means no shedding. I want another one so bad.
>>
>>2095514
>Majority of shelter dogs are unsuitable due to lack of early socialization, behavior problems, or hip/elbow dysplasia.

same fucking "shelters make dogs suffer" faggot that popped up yesterday.

Don't believe anything he says. Dogs aren't in shelters because there is something wrong with them, dogs are in shelters because there's something wrong with HUMANS.
>>
>>2095579
Yeah my coworker recently gave his 2 year old dog to a shelter because "he didnt turn out like he thought he would"

He has now bought another puppy
>>
>>2095579
Unsuitable for SERVICE work not being a pet. I got my pet from the shelter.
>>
I know you're going for a certain look here, but why not a labrador-poodle mix? I typically hate designer breeds, and their ass-clenchingly stupid names, but this mix is a good one. Poodles are athletic and highly trainable, labradors have been used as service dogs for a log time because they're eager to please and pretty easy-going. Every labrador-poodle mix I've met was sweet, friendly, and quiet.

Other than that, dobermans are highly trainable, and their clinginess might lend itself well to service work. They're naturally velcro dogs.
>>
>>2096105
but in all likelyhood OP doesn't mean an actual service animal, he means an emotional support animal. two entirely different things that people don't understand are different

essentially a service dog needs hardcore training to preform a certain task that they owner cannot do without them and are legally allowed to take them anywhere. an emotional support animal is basically what OP is describing, a companion for someone who needs emotional support. think a prescribed animal companion. all they really need is to be able to live in an appartment and not be aggressive or crazy. the only special rights they have is being able to override landlord rules like pet policies in most situations
>>
>>2091199
Before you can even think about breed, you need to find the trainer. The trainer will be able to help you more with breed and breeders than anons on an anime image board
>>
>>2095511
I grew up with akitas.
They are fairly chill, lay around a lot. I wouldnt consider them if I werent familiar and fond of them.
>>
>>2096114
I have owned labs. Nice dogs, but their personality doesnt suit me. I also dont want to deal with shaving that a poodle mix may require.
I have not had a chance to meet any dobermans, but they may be a good suggestion.

>>2096146
I already have a cattle dog x who is an esa. I mean a service dog trained to do a few tasks to alleviate the anxiety and panic associated with some of the ptsd symptoms. Ie: checking around corners/"clearing" rooms, turning lights in a dark room on, providing pressure, locating specific things during dissociative episodes or alert me to them, etc. An esa who cannot accompany me in public doesnt cut it. My home is a "safe" zone, so its rather pointless.
I am not sure why you said I described an esa, when I didnt describe anything beyond a blank statement of interest in a service dog (not an esa).
>>
>>2096186
if you truly mean a service dog, then not sure why you think you're going to be the one training them. typically you go through an organization that does that for a legit service animal
>>
>>2096186
>Ie: checking around corners/"clearing" rooms
I've told you off for being a piece of shit before.
>>
>>2096187
There is a lot of owner involvement with psychiatric service dogs, more so than for someone with a physical disability. Although like I said in the op, it would spend some time at an actual trainer's as well. Where I work currently sometimes trains service dogs. There was a woman with ptsd a while back who brought in a husky for this.

>>2096188
What?
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.