[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>go to local shelters looking for dog to adopt >95% of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2
File: wolf.jpg (108 KB, 562x348) Image search: [Google]
wolf.jpg
108 KB, 562x348
>go to local shelters looking for dog to adopt
>95% of the dogs there are pit bull mixes
>nope
>decide to buy a hound from a breeder
>HOW DARE YOU WHY DIDN'T YOU ADOPT, THESE SHELTERS DO SO MUCH FOR THE COMMUNITY AND TO SAVE THESE ANIMALS

Is there ever any way to win?
>>
Stop being a bitch that cares what people think about what you do with your money.

Plus a blacklab pit mix I had was a good boy.

I miss nigger so much
>>
>rescue/adopt
>buy from reputable, responsible breeders

Both are fine
>>
>>2091046
Your choices do have lasting effects on the community.

That being said...

STOP BEING A WHINY BITCH AND LETTING OTHER PEOPLE TELL YOU HOW TO LIVE YOUR LIFE.
>>
>Is there ever any way to win?
stop caring about other people's opinions
>>
maybe don't live in a shitty area then? unless you're in the ghetto or area full of white trash, there is variety at shelters

did you even try petfinder?

also
>being such a breedfag

>>2091053
>implying that's what OP did
>>
>>2091046
Did you by from a respectable, recognized breeder, or some BYB fuck you found in Craigslist?

The first is fine. The second one isn't, but not for the reasons you are pretending that people got upset with you about, when in reality no one cares where you got your dog.
>>
>want dog
>have livestock
>go to pound
>all shitty pitbulls $250 (includes spay/neuter)
>go to only true breeder in my part of the state
>$3200 because "muh champion genetics"
>go on Craigslist
>10 week old half Anatolian half gsd $250
>close enough
>buy dog
>does well with the sheep
>put well over $1000 into dog for vet/food
>well meaning neighbor shoots dog because he thought it was a stray bothering my sheep
>have to start over again

And you can bet your ass that I am getting a Craigslist dog again. People can bitch about back yard breeders all they want, the fact is it is the best way to get a dog anymore that doesn't involve a second mortgage or gambling on a shelter dog. If you want to stop it, the push needs to start at the pound and with the breeders. Shaming people for buying the product they want at 1/10 the price will only be met with ridicule. What needs to happen is people who breed dogs the right way need get their heads out of their ass. Some dogs are worth huge money, but most aren't, and people looking for a pet aren't willing to pay four figures because you can trace your stud back to a champion at a show they have never heard of.
>>
>>2091460
Ya, I'm honestly starting to think about doing this with a german shepherd as well though with the exception being I want to get some health tests done on the parents (I'm willing to pay, so long as it gets done and they can show the paperwork), and gets photos of the grandparents, just so I know the dog is mostly (if not pure) german shepherd.
>>
>>2091046
>go to any animal shelter down south
>get 34 hound puppies for $85 a piece
>they still have 200+ hound puppies

Goodbye, remaining hound puppies
>>
>>2091460
>'waaaaah I have to spend money on a dog!'
>'fuck that dogs are a right let me get the cheapest one I can find'
>doesn't take care of his dog and it gets shot
Fucking rekt
>>
>>2091522
>>'waaaaah I have to spend money on a dog!'
We're am I crying about spending money on a dog? I am saying that the reason byb's exist is because literally all other options suck.

>>'fuck that dogs are a right let me get the cheapest one I can find'
Again, paying 10x the price for anything is beyond stupid, especially considering you are most likely getting a healthy pup from either source.

>>doesn't take care of his dog and it gets shot

I'm not sure you understand how guns work, but the level of care a dog gets is in no way related to the ability of a well meaning retard to shoot a gun.

Other than that, nice job countering any point I made, you convinced me that I should pay huge sums of money for the same thing.

>>2091471

Honestly man, just do it. People can bitch about it all they want, at the end of the day, it's your pupper so if you're happy it's all that matters.
>>
>>2091046

Google "rescue + your city" or "specific breed rescue + your state"

Don't be lazy and make excuses.
>>
>>2091046
Either way your b8 is shit
>>
>>2091053
OP bought from Craigslist back yard breeder.
>>
File: 1450339638405.jpg (38 KB, 619x619) Image search: [Google]
1450339638405.jpg
38 KB, 619x619
>>2091593
>>2091460
>cries about cost
>gets BYB mutt
>doesn't take care of his BYB mutt
>it gets shot
>cries about it
Just as bad as catfags in my honest opinion
>>
>>2091614
>doesn't take care of his BYB mutt

Why do you think that?
>>
>>2091678
you wouldn't have let your dog run around unsupervised, let alone on another person's property
>>
>>2091782
>you wouldn't have let your dog run around unsupervised

Never had a livestock guardian dog before?

>let alone on another person's property

"he thought it was a stray bothering my sheep"

why would my sheep be on another mans land?
>>
>>2091782
ah i get it, you're just retarded.
>>
>>2091593
But you aren't most likely to get a healthy dog. Bybs are the reason dogs breeds are known to have specific issues, because they aren't careful about breeding and do proper tests. They also tend to mate within family lines, causing more problems.

You pay so much with good breeders because you are paying for the health tests and time spent doing proper breeding. You pay to be assured that your dog is as good as it can be
>>
>>2091847
I can still get a dog from a 'byb' who has done the basic health tests and can prove to me that the dog wasn't interbred, and STILL pay a third of what I would with the breeders you are describing. So what's the point buddy?
>>
>>2091678
Maybe because it got shot and died.
>>
>>2091861
Well, what do you consider a byb?
>>
>>2091906
One who doesn't give any shits about the dogs welfare and basically does it in a puppy mill stile.

What I don't consider byb is someone who treats their dogs with love and care, takes them to the vet, and doesn't over breed them even if they are trying to make a bit of profit.
>>
>>2091914
If you think you can get a person who 'doesn't give any shits about the dogs welfare' to do health checks, then bless your heart. But I think you'd be getting scammed
>>
>>2091916
I said the exact opposite that you are trying to imply. If I go on craigslist right now, I can jot down thirty numbers, call them all up, and figure out which ones do health tests on the parents and grandparents. It's not that hard and doesn't take too long, and it will still cost me less than a two thousand dollar dog.

I don't need it to be UKC registered or agility trained or have all the puppies micro chipped and had steak dinner for the mom. I just want a healthy pup that isn't going to inherit some really bad hip and elbows. I can do the shots and microchip and neutering/spaying at my own vet (that I trust because I've gotten to know them) myself.
>>
>>2091914

The issue though is that the vast majority of "registered" breeders who do health checks...are still complete bastards breeding fucked up dogs.

There's no winning. The best we can do is try and stop rednecks/bogans from forcing their dogs to breed and stop puppy mills.
>>
>>2091926
>thinking there are breeders who do health tests but don't spay/neuter or microchip them
what sort of made up world are you living in?
>>
>>2091932
I'm still all for trying to get licenses to breed so it can at least be somewhat regulated.

I really don't need the top quality, absolute best out of a dog, and I think it's perfectly fine if someone else does-they are paying for it, they should get their monies worth. But I don't want to pay over $800 for a dog I want, so I will use my common sense and ask questions and ask for a few simple references to prove that it was bred with love and not interbred, and the rest I will take care of myself.
>>
>>2091935
The world outside the internet. I've already had offers from work acquaintances for an upcoming litter of german shephs that aren't involved in dog shows or agility, but who I know they have quality dogs because they breed them for working dogs. They have been breeding their dogs for a little over ten years now and are willing to let me handle the shots, micro chipping, spay/neuter, because we talked like adults and I explained I don't need top quality from them, just a healthy, not inbred pup. They also understand that I don't like fixing my dogs till they are fully grown, so this was another reason I didn't want them to fix it for me.

Not everything in the world works one exact way.
>>
>>2091943
>not health tested
>implying not a BYB
alrighty m8
>>
>>2091926
>>I can still get a dog from a 'byb' who has done the basic health tests
>Well, what do you consider a byb?
>>One who doesn't give any shits about the dogs welfare and basically does it in a puppy mill stile.

Being registered does not a good breeder make. Puppy mills can be registered, and good breeders may not register their dogs for moral means. And costing a lot of money doesn't mean it's a reputable breeder, either; some good breeders happen to be cheaper, and some shitty ones cost thousands. Take puppy mills, for example; worst stock that usually costs more than a dog from a reputable breeder.
>>
>>2091943
You do understand that working GSDs can still be unhealthy, right?

Most of the working GSDs in the NYCPD have health problems so bad that they had to switch to a whole different breed. GSDs are a really destroyed breed of dog and it's difficult to just find a healthy pet one, let alone a healthy working one
>>
>>2091955
All the adult breeding pairs have had their necessary health tests, don't start grasping at straws where there aren't any just because you can't accept that someone else may do things differently than what you assume should be right.

What I don't get is why everyone gets so up in arms when their point is argued or countered at all instead of picking their battles and going after actual problems, like this idiot:
>>2091619

One may not be the absolute best way, but it works for the people doing it and their intended customers.

You want to stop fuck ups from happening? Go after the actual problem. You sitting there on your high horse going on and on about how anything besides the absolute best being a 'byb' isn't helping anything but your own pride and sense of worth.
>>
>>2091966
But people like you are the actual problem
>>
>>2091971
Really?

Let's see, I have

-waited ten years to be in a position to get the dog I want and have to time to dedicate to it
-now have a stable job and can pay for any vet bills I may need
-am talking and planning with a breeder that has satisfied customers and out of the years they have been breeding, only had two cases of dogs with bad hips, who they then went through the steps to insure those dogs didn't breed again
-Already have another dog who is waiting for a buddy to come home to and go on hikes with

Yes. I'm sure I am such a problem compared to people who breed for looks or JUST to make a shit ton of money without the dogs health in mind.

Thank you for proving to me, once again, that it's just not worth arguing with certain people because I will always be wrong and they will always be right.
>>
>>2091460
You're gambling just as much with a byb though. Plenty of people get dogs with bad genetic conditions because bybs don't test for that shit.
>>
>>2091972
The other OP is on the same standard as your breeder. GG I hope your dog won't get shot and you'll have to pay for another
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.