[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Serious question. Are any places in the world still domesticating
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: cheetah x german shepherd.jpg (72 KB, 700x427) Image search: [Google]
cheetah x german shepherd.jpg
72 KB, 700x427
Serious question. Are any places in the world still domesticating cheetahs?
>>
Domesticated and tamed are not the same thing.
>>
>>2090388
I am perfectly aware anon. But considering the Egyptians had them domesticated, I am wondering if anyone still does this. As in, has been breeding them in captivity for some generations and not just catching them wild, or having cubs that are only one generation raised in captivity.
>>
>>2090392
They weren't domesticated. They were tamed. If I breed 10 generations of lions, it doesn't make them domesticated. The Middle East and Asia also had cheetahs and some middle eastern countries still have pet cheetahs as a status symbol.

And no, no one is 'trying' to actually domesticate cheetahs. In North America alone there is only a little over 200 in zoos. They are much more expensive than other big cats. They aren't readily bred, there's a whole mess with how shitty their genes are due to the lack of genetic diversity and have tight import/export laws so its a big, difficult deal to get wild caught cheetahs to try and improve the gene pool(which is also horrible in the wild - cheetahs are pretty fucked in general).
>>
Just for a moment, my tired brain figured that there's a mirror behind the dog and the cheetah and it promptly freaked out.
>>
>>2090392
Cheetahs probably COULD be domesticated, the only big issue is they are nervous as fuck and breeding them in captivity is extremely difficult.
>>
>>2090483
They're the only big cat I'd consider owning
Everything else is
>Raise me from birth
>Turn your back to me one day I kill you
>Get drunk one day I kill you
>Get nervous one day and I kill you
>Show your back to me while nervous and I torture then kill you
>>
>>2090485
How stupid and selfish can you be

Cheetahs are wild animals. They shouldn't be kept in zoos and they certainly shouldn't be kept in some shitheads apartment
>>
File: 1456702499509.gif (2 MB, 240x192) Image search: [Google]
1456702499509.gif
2 MB, 240x192
>>2090508
Try proof reading next time goy :^)
said they were the least shit of all big cats to own
>>>/peta/ you go
>>
>>2090386
Cheetahs have been easily tamed throughout history, but they can't be domesticated because it's much more difficult to breed them in captivity than other animals
>>
>>2090386

What the fuck is the point?

They can run 80km an hour...and you want to keep one as a house pet? Why?

Just watch them from a vehicle in Africa like a normal fucking person.
>>
>>2090653
Because I want one. Just like you might want a dog even though it serves no purpose except being a dog. I only asked if they were being domesticated (or bred in captivity) because I don't want one just stolen from the wild. I would rather obtain one that had no chance of returning to the wild and therefore needs a home.

Ideally I would want to have a huge ranch that's secured, possibly 10-20 acres. They don't eat that much either, I think my main concern would be an exotic vet.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.