[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your thoughts on keeping small monkeys as pets? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
What are your thoughts on keeping small monkeys as pets?

I had a small pet grivet monkey when I was younger and lived in africa, but I moved when me and the monkey were really little and we had to leave the little girl behind so I don't remember much other than it growing really affectionate really fast.

I've been researching and apparently its illegal to get them here in Canada, and many people say its cruel or inhumane since monkeys are very social animals and need to be with their kind. However anecdotes from people who have owned monkeys say that as long is its not a horny as fuck male, they are well behaved animals.

I'm not actually thinking of importing a fucking monkey that would be a ridiculous hassle, but sometimes I wonder what it'd be like if I kept my grivet. You can't have a dog or a cat climb your shoulder and just chill there while you walk around the house and hand them shit to play with or eat like you can with a grivetbro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCnVy2C6DTo
>>
>What are your thoughts on keeping small monkeys as pets?
No. Not against keeping rescues but just the stress of ripping their babies away from the mothers alone bothers the shit out of me. Monkeys are dumb little, basic humans to me in that while a kitten can be well off without a mother, primates need that nurturing and learning they would get from their family.

>However anecdotes from people who have owned monkeys say that as long is its not a horny as fuck male, they are well behaved animals.
Tell that to all the people who are attacked by primates. They are unpredictable and at the same time people forget that they AREN'T just little humans. Just google 'pet monkey attack' and its flooded with people who never thought their precious baby could do such a thing. No 'reputable' place or primate expert would condone a pet monkey.

I'm not against exotic animals but I rather someone own a tiger than a monkey.
>>
>>2090321
>>2090321
>tfw you will never get a monkey bro who is like a dumb human but charming and fun
>>
Naw senpai, monkeys are just above the nig nogs, except there cool human-kin. That is if they are trained.
>>
Monkeys are cute and fun pets right up until they hit maturity.
Then they're insanely needy animals you need to devote your entire life to catering to, and even then they'll probably attack you once in a while and/or get mental problems.
>>
It would be ok mate just keep the monkey in a room which has a television
>>
>>2090317
>What are your thoughts on keeping small monkeys as pets?

Don't. Ever. Are you retarded anon?
>>
In one thread you have people saying it's unethical and cruel to keep animals like monkeys as pets.

In a thread on the same page, people are attacking vegans for their moral stand point in not exploiting animals.

The irony of /An/
>>
>>2090576
>/an/ is one person
>>
>>2090580
Fair point. I guess it just seems majority of people share the conflicting views.

Mind you, the noise minority etc
>>
>>2090629

Sure, but big difference between exploiting our literal cousins and a cow...
>>
>>2090643
Is there?

Recent studies have shown that cows are incredibly sentient and intelligent. One of the biggest reasons they had to make the spiral tube for the abbotoir is that they knew what was coming and would freak out. They also can problem solve and play and show signs of learned ability.

It also goes to say that it doesn't matter what animal it is, it days more about the person if you arbitrarily rank animals on the disposable list.

I have a really good pod cast from the BBC about this exact subject, slaughtering cows and the moral dilemmas and ironies we face. If you would like to listen I coukd post link? Has a few experts talking about animal cognition and behavioral studies, bretty gud.
>>
>>2090643
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06kbm04

I really encourage you to listen to this. Will bring a new perspective to it. Some things in there that I never quite realise about cows.

I still eat meat. That doesn't mean I can't acknowledge some of my glaringly obvious hypocrisy.
>>
>>2090669
>they knew what was coming and would freak out.
or they like standing in curved lines more than straight ones.

either interpretation explains their behavior equally, but one is much simpler.

anyone that's ever run cattle down a chute to be vaccinated or trailered knows which is actually true.

they freak out any time you stick them in a line, even if what's coming is cow treats.
>>
>>2090674
Different dude, that's only half true. An autistic lady was the one who studied why cows don't like being chuted etc and whilst you are correct, they also could tell of their impending doom.
>>
>>2090671
>>2090669

I knew this would happen when I mentioned cows.

Look, I don't disagree with you, but I mean specifically in reference to apes and monkeys there is no irony or hypocrisy in protecting them above other animals.

It's not an arbitrary rank. They are the most intelligent animal groups on the planet, they are our closest relatives, the have social structures like ours, they have conciousness and the intelligence of children.

Even putting them in zoo's irks me a bit.
>>
>>2090680
>they also could tell of their impending doom.
lol

I took a couple classes with that autistic lady, I don't think even she would go that far.
>>
>>2090682
That's fair enough bro, I can definately see how you justify your point and I think you make a good point.
>>
File: T.jpg (57 KB, 642x335) Image search: [Google]
T.jpg
57 KB, 642x335
>>2090330
I'm still upset slavery was banned.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.