[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Working with animals
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: sockeye-salmon.jpg (109 KB, 825x582) Image search: [Google]
sockeye-salmon.jpg
109 KB, 825x582
Does anyone here actually work in the nature? If so, what is your story/job? I work with fisheries, I have been in the discipline for about 10 years, started off as a deck scrubber boy for my home state and then moved all over the country to eventually become a salmon fisheries manager, after much school/hard work. Quite fulfilling, work and grind all year while screaming/fighting with people over biology/politics in order to have peace for ~2 months sitting on the river watching the Chinook/Coho jump home for joy/babies.
>>
Welcome to an where 90%+ are Wikipedi/an/s
>>
>>2088864
I work with animals, but less so with nature. I work at an animal shelter. My job responsibilities are endless, honestly. I do anything from being a janitor, to management work, and get paid a nice minimum wage +$0.27 yearly (price of living increase). I do sometimes deal with wildlife, but it's mainly holding onto them until I can get a rehab (by law, we aren't even allowed to hold the animals but I do), cremate roadkill, or euthanize an injured animal. I have a ton of stories, mainly sad. But this job has no direction, no way of moving up. They outsource managers and such. Anyone here who has an office, previously never worked in an animal related field. It's not a job to live off of.

Before that I volunteered at an animal barn (horse sanctuary) for a few months, and grew up with an animal rehabilitation center.

>>2088864
I always imagined fisheries were man-made ponds or lakes, like factory farming. Do you use natural ponds and streams? what exactly do you do for the fish?
>>
I work with nature in two ways: with my professional job as a mapper/cartographer and part-time as a pet sitter (which is arguably nature, basically just domestic animals).

I like what I do but the road up the food chain starts to sound like a lot of politics. I've mapped gas pipelines, seasonal bird populations, fish runs, and some other stuff. When it comes down to it I just like maps and data for the most part.
>>
File: 1383519007661.gif (2 MB, 352x326) Image search: [Google]
1383519007661.gif
2 MB, 352x326
>>2088893
Primarily I function as a policy analyst/technical analyst. What does that mean? I provide recommendations for, on a scientific and political level, salmon fisheries. Opposite of what you said, the majority of what I study/comment on are pacific ocean fisheries and I base my commentary on quantitative data that we, the salmon community, manipulate in models for the sake of understanding salmonid population dynamics in the ocean and in terminal areas (rivers).
>>
>>2088906
Sounds like you make some buck for that.

Unfortunately, I never cared for fishing or eating fish; salmon in particular I kind of hate the taste of. But nonetheless, I'm glad you're keeping the salmon population in check
>>
I work in a sawmill. That's basically nature.
>>
I'm an avian field biologist. Mostly nest searching, some banding and point counts, rat tagging, various other things. Probably won't do it much longer.
>>
>>2088864
Scum piece of shit. I'm guessing you probably masturbate knowing those fish are going to be on some bodies plate. Sick fuck.
>>
File: 1454481816393.jpg (40 KB, 604x450) Image search: [Google]
1454481816393.jpg
40 KB, 604x450
>>2088909
I make right at 70K a year, a very large amount of money for myself considering the largest desire I've ever had is to have a home on the river, albeit a specific type of river, for my family and I. All I want to do it be able to walk a short distance out of my backdoor and not be near any other people and go see steelhead/chinook come home and spawn.

>>2088964
I've spent some time in my life around forestry/forestry practices. Running a mile or two up a mountain on the weekends for firewood collection purposes, out here that means cutting whatever has fallen by wind or commercial logging "leave behind"

Being cognizant of logging practices and how they effect salmonids is very important, for myself. For instance, if an area has been clear cut in the last 30 years or so, it's considered "reduced habitat" because of the way it effects hydrology near a salmon river. If you have very recently clear cut everything, the hydrology of the area is negatively effected. Long story short, the ground doesn't hold water and it lends itself to erosion and when the rain season comes, huge amounts of water/silt run off are dumped on the river and they can blow out/smother with silt the salmon nests, called redds and destroy future generations.

>>2089011
I masturbate to many things, that is not one of them.
>>
>>2088893
Why on earth would you stay at that job
>>
>>2089126
It's gotten to a point where it seems like a moral obligation now. You see, my employer does not hire many people at all. My job is extremely understaffed. If I leave, they will not hire someone in my absence. At least not for a year or so. Leaving would be knowingly let animals not be taken care of, letting some die that didn't have to die, etc etc. Also my coworkers are left to attempt to pick up even more work. I know how that feels, and I don't wish it on my coworkers

Besides that, I really do enjoy helping animals, whether it's homeless animals to find a home or helping people to keep their current animals. The conditions that I have to do it in just really suck
>>
dolphin trainer
Ask me stuff if you want
It's the best job in the world but the pay and hours are shit unfortunately
>>
>>2088864
I work in salmon farming. Mostly grunt work like feeding and vaccination, but I'm getting more training and qualifications so that I can do more and different stuff.
>>
>>2089137
have you ever had sex with one?
>>
>>2089165
No. And dolphin rape lmao xD is a terrible normie meme
>>
>>2089166
No it's not, I saw it on King of The Hill
>>
I used to work in a veterinary clinic as a receptionist. I was going to move to a technician position, but the technician supervisor was the biggest cunt in the universe, and I'd rather pour salt in my eyes than have to talk to that fetid pile of shit on a regular basis.

So now I'm going into biology. I'd love to eventually be a mammalogist or ichthyologist, but chances are I'll just end up with a lab job.
>>
>>2089181
A lot of the "-ogist" tend to be post-docs or PhD students, sometimes post-bacs.

I majored in biology and took it a completely different way. Couldn't stand the prospects of being in a lab all day washing dishes and writing reports because I couldn't keep anything sterile and I wanted to get out more.

My mother did something similar. Her vet boss would let her move up at all so she started her own pet sitting business and now makes just as much being a business owner.
>>
>>2089183
wouldn't let her*
>>
>>2089183
Yeah, I considered pet sitting or grooming for a while, but I just don't think I get on well enough with people. Working at the vet's office taught me that a lot of pet owners are just as bad as helicopter parents. One time I got yelled at for "torturing a cat" for ten minutes, because the cat's medications were administered correctly, and not wrapped up in a special treat or something. I didn't even have anything to do with it. Also got bitched out for not giving an owner free flea medication after she tried and failed to administer her own, and wasted four doses. She told me that I clearly don't care about her dog's fleas, and that if she spilled her medication, the pharmacy would replace it for free.

I live near Baltimore, and would absolutely love to work at the zoo or aquarium, but the jobs seem very competitive and it would take a very long time for me to even begin to qualify.
>>
>>2089189
Pet sitting is very little human interaction. When I work for my mom, I drive to people's houses while they're at work or on vacation and take care of the animals. I water the plants and take in the newspaper mail oftentimes too.

I can go hours without talking to anyone. It's dog job -> cat job -> cat job -> dog walk and so on. You don't need to be good with people but it helps, just be good with animals. I moved for my job so I work there a lot less but I still like it. I've thought about starting up like a satellite business off of my mom's where I live.

Also we're not a kennel, so we don't really deal with anything like bad smells all day long and washing them and shit. Which is pretty great.

Good luck though.
>>
>>2089183
Not in fisheries, the majority of the biologists I know are Masters or less, very commonly only 4 year or even a 2 year degree. These are people operating in high level technical/policy analyst positions that I'm referring to.

The thought that you HAVE to have a degree to be a high ranking biologist is wrong, real like work experience is preferred above collegiate experience IMO. They hire way more people with previous commercial fishing experience than you'd think.
>>
>>2089202
I could see that.

Just the requirements for these job applications seem ridiculous at times. With only technical internship experience and work experience as a pet sitter, along with not caring enough for grad school, it didn't sound all too bright for me.

I ended up just sticking to computers which was the right choice for me I think.
>>
>>2089206
I stuck to computers with fisheries, the majority of my most recent employment was modeling salmon fisheries.
>>
>>2089211
Cool. Environmental modelling statistics is best statistics imo.
>>
File: rsz_20150904_152303.jpg (2 MB, 2988x5312) Image search: [Google]
rsz_20150904_152303.jpg
2 MB, 2988x5312
I do aquarium service for VERY large systems (some like 10k+). Mostly marine and reef but some fresh water both commercial, public and people with money to burn. I'm hoping on a contract for a 20k freshwater native species system that going to be at a water treatment plant. The gimmick with this is the treated water from the plant is going to fill this aquarium.

Also to the OP I had to go to a local fisherie to get live stock. They were suprised when I gave then stock rates in gallons when they go by acres.
Systems that large are more like swimming pools when it comes to maintenence. Water chemistry, husbandry is the easy part of the Jon and anyone else here who can reliably maintain saltwater and feed water aquariums can do the job. Dealing with service/inventory issue aswell as idiot clients and Marine Biologist who may know more about fish but not actually taking care of them is another.

Job pays nice, 70k if going fulltime which is fucking awsome for a no degree job in can do during college.
>>
>>2089047
I lived right on the river as a kid. It was great, but holy crap did the salmon die-off smell bad.
>>
>>2089202
I'm not expert on this but non PhD/masters marine bio degrees seem to be a dime a dozen. At some public aquaria clients I'm contracted with, most of the marine bio staff are doing what I'm doing myself at a 1/4 of the pay and some honestly don't know jack about care. The real research was being done by the phds and general bio foke. I'm doing IT and auditing so I can't really compare it to anything so correct me if I'm wrong. I just see so many people who get marine bio degrees with fluffy aspirations like "swimming with dolphins" which is fine and all but there are better avenues if that's what you wanna do in life.
>>
>>2089140
Can you please tell me about how you vaccinate a salmon?
>>
>>2089261
You vaccinate them at the smolt stage (before they are put in sea farms). We use a compressed air automatic vaccine machine, pic related, and feed anesthetized fish through the channels. The grunt work lies in feeding the fish through the machine, and sorting away any damaged and misshaped fish in the process. As long as the machine is properly adjusted for fish size/weight, the actual medication is perfecty deposited into the abdominal cavity of each fish.

Vaccination has severely reduced the use of antibiotics in the industry, so it is definitely worth it. (http://www.microbeworld.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1257 -old graph but still relevant today)
>>
>>2089271
This seems extrodenarly tedious. Then again anything to cut down on antibiotics is good thing.
>>
>>2089225
oh they are a dime a dozen, you have to have specialization, myself for instance, i fished commercially for quite some time and i was very experienced with boat operation, hydraulics, power generation, welding, etc. those are extremely attractive even higher up in fisheries research because you have the on the ground knowledge the book fags only read about
>>
>>2089271
How many fish are damaged in the process?
>>
I am a "grounds maintenance technician" at a local pioneer farm thing, basically my only job is to tend the animals, then spend the rest of the day destroying nature with extreme prejudice. Last year I killed 62 raccoons in a week and a half, and almost 200 over the course of the summer.

I also get to trim trails and cut firewood which is honestly great work, cause the boss never checks up on you and it's outdoors.
>>
>>2089376
I completely get it. Only reason I have the job is becuase I have pool maintainace experience and I'm a diver + SW aquarium maintenance.

It's nearly impossible to fine reliable people with specialized skills in the aquarium/aquaculture biz.
>>
>>2089271
That's really interesting thank you.
What happens to the bung fish? Do they get instantly killed in a big grinder or something?
>>
>>2088995
Why not do it for longer? No money in it what will you do?
>>
>>2089422
Surprisingly few, excluding pre-damaged fish, maybe 50-100 per 100.000 fish. Maybe 200-300 per 100.000 (approximate number of fish per tank). A lot of fish are tossed due to spinal deformities, but in a species that produce more than a thousand eggs per breeding, some offspring will always be deformed. And in a farm there's no natural predators to pick them off before we do.

>>2089539
Scrap fish are tossed into a bucket of lethal dose benzoak anesthetic solution. They die within seconds, and never wake up from the initial dose. By norwegian law any farm animal (including farm salmon) has to be given a painless death as far as possible.

And yes, it is labour intensive, but I get a strange feeling of accomplishment every time I see salmon in the store.
>>
>>2088864

I'm an Aquarist.

I work at a public aquarium and i get to scuba dive with sharks and sea turtles.

My job is awesome, but I don't get paid much.
>>
>>2088995
How did you get into it anon?
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.