[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anon, I'm calling on you to prove evolution to me. Not a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
Anon, I'm calling on you to prove evolution to me. Not a Christian, or a creationist of any kind, I just don't want to take a theory as fact before thoroughly researching it, and discussing.
>>
>>2088712
watch science talks/opinions/whatever. Come up with your own theory. Profit.
>>
>>2088712
Remember that a scientific theory is not the same as the regular definition of theory.

>A scientific theory is "a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that can incorporate facts, laws, inferences, and tested hypotheses."

Note well substantiated, no guesswork here.

Genetic relationships between organisms, changes in the fossil record over time, transitional fossils, common biochemistry between organisms are some of the facts that support the idea that organisms change over time. There are literally thousands if not millions of examples of this.

Also remember that evolution is not teleological which is a common misconception, it does not have an end point or set direction. Survival of the fittest is the best way to explain how many structures came to be.

Now fuck off
>>
>>2088739
I appreciate the very informative and well thought out comment.Thanks.

But what's with the fuck off?
>>
>>2088743
It's 4chan, everyone leaves there 'I should have some human decency and be polite' card at the door.

About 5% of us sneak in the back with it though.

So, can I buy you a drink OP? Or are we just gonna head to the back and shag?
>>
>>2088747
I'm cool with that.
>>
Things change. Mutations occur as new children are born. This is the result of sexual reproduction as opposed to say, cloning.

Some changes are beneficial, some or not. How this is determined depends solely on the environment.

Not everything in nature can survive. Some things die.

The creatures that live go on to have children similar to them. The creatures that die do not have children. In the same way a dog breeder chooses one strong pup and kills its siblings, natural selection occurs.

Thus, over the course of many years, we witness the gradual changing of one kind of animal to the other, with splits and offshoots occuring along the way.

Where change and replication exists, so does evolution. This occurs to everything, not just living creatures (but also ideas, ways of life, religions).
>>
Evil-ution is a hoax created by Stan.
>>
>>2088712
Have you thoroughly researched it or not?
>>
File: 1422932221461.png (57 KB, 398x409) Image search: [Google]
1422932221461.png
57 KB, 398x409
>>2088712
>Not a Christian, or a creationist of any kind

Granted most Christians are not creationists. Creationism and the biblical literalism it stems from are Evangelical phenomena; Evangelicalsim is basically endemic to the United States. Even the traditional Protestant sects reject a literal interpretation of scripture, and "Sola scriptura" is one of Protestantism's founding and most essential tenets.

The precedent for Christians not taking the bible literally goes back at least as far as the fourth century, also. That's when Augustine of Hippo rejected biblical literalism. He specifically rejected a literal reading of Genesis even.

The precedent for Jews goes back even farther of course. Philo of Alexandria believed that the Genesis account(s) of creation were allegorical.
>>
Vestigial muscles, bones, organs and common morphological traits shared between separate species. The general idea being species diverge when they form separate breeding populations and are subjected to varying environmental conditions favoring certain traits over others. Mutations are random and can either benefit, harm or have no effect on the fitness of a species. Mammals diversified as a result of ecological niches opening up from the extinction of dinosaurs and at the same time angiosperms evolved giving rise to further diversification. The fall and rise and evolution of species is documented throughout the fossil record. Though many parts of it are incomplete because fossils form only under exceptional conditions and must be accessible to paleontologists. Carbon dating verifies the age of these fossils by measuring how isotopes within them have degraded over time. There's evidence evolution can occur within shorter time frames:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn23288-birds-evolve-shorter-wings-to-survive-on-roads/
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.