[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>play dead when threatened >can't spread rabies >kills
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 10
File: possums.gif (1 MB, 502x250) Image search: [Google]
possums.gif
1 MB, 502x250
>play dead when threatened
>can't spread rabies
>kills ticks
>carries babies on its back
>just wants to eat your garbage

you have 10 seconds to explain why you hate opossums
>>
>b-but anon theyre scary!!
>>
>>2088114
>can't spread rabies

this is a lie

OIDF pls go
>>
>>2088135
It's not impossible, but the likelihood of a possum having rabies is extremely low due to their low body temperature. Domestic dogs are much more of rabies risk than possums.
>>
>>2088137
>these animals can't spread rabies!
>well they can, but it's rare!

Fuck off, tree rat
>>
>>2088140
I'm not OP, so I never said they couldn't.
>>
>>2088137
>Domestic dogs are much more of rabies risk than possums.
perhaps, but since dogs are vaccinated there's thousands of times more rabies in opossums.
>>
>>2088148
I ain't got hard statistics, but I'd argue that you're still more likely to encounter a dog with rabies than a possum. Plenty of people don't vaccinate, and there's feral dogs too. Plus, I'd say the average person is more likely to approach a dog than a possum.
>>
>>2088153
>I ain't got hard statistics, but I'd argue
kek

your argument would be pretty easy to check.
I've already googled it so I know how that goes.
>>
>>2088156
> i allready googled it
> not sharing that info found to actually produce an argument
> hurrr durr im cooler than you
>>
>>2088157
>> not sharing that info found to actually produce an argument
why would I want to argue with you?

besides, If I share raw data that supports a certain fact and you argue against it you're an idiot.

far more likely I produce data and you say "oh, I didn't know that," or "that's exactly what I thought all along," and then we're done.

let's just skip that part and you can go read about rabies if you like.

or not, it doesn't matter to me.
>>
>>2088159
> it doesnt matter to me
> still replies
>>
>>2088159
What a gigantic faggot you sound like
>>
>>2088161
I don't care if you read about rabies or not.

I do care that you understand I don't think I'm cooler than you.

but if you didn't catch that then I guess maybe I am cooler than you.
>>
>>2088163
> those "Facts" are as solid of a fact you think they are
> hence you do think you are cooler than him and not acknowledging it yourself.
> far more likely that the data you could provide would make anyone say dafuq, since you cant be bothered to actually spread your "facts"
>>
>>2088164
Not my facts.

the CDC keeps very nice records on the number of rabies cases in the US.

almost all of them are in bats.
but I have no doubt you can find out how many are reported in dogs and opossums every year.

If you actually cared to.
>>
>>2088167
> reports of rabies do not conclude all rabies in all species
>>
>>2088167
you seem to be missing some logic and rationality in your thought proces boy
>>
>>2088171
>a sample isn't representative of the whole

if anything dogs are over-represented in the sample, no?
>>
>>2088174
thanks, I'll take that as a compliment from someone that can't spell "process" and doesn't know about commas.

did you eat lead?
>>
>>2088175
> humans have more dogs than opossums as pets... the whole sample is tainted with subjectivity of human kind if dogs are over-represented
> talks about said sample , does not actually show sample
> real scientist here guys! yo i know shit but you gotta figure it out all by yourself
>>
>>2088176
> gets mad and resorts to grammar nazi behavior
>>
>>2088177
I get bored posting the same shit up on /an/ month after month just to have applesauce sucking morons deny it anyways.

do what you like. I already said I don't care if you know things or not.
>>
>>2088178
not mad.
I always find misspelled insults amusing.
>>
>>2088179
you actually havent posted anything substantial , just some lose shit about " I KNOW STUFF BECAUSE I READ IT SOMEWHERE". show us where you read it and you might actually be able to converse like a real human and dont feel like shit.
>>
>>2088181
I said where.

and I'm not really interested in discussing the prevalence of rabies in opposums. Watching you do everything you can to avoid using a search engine is pretty fun though.
>>
>>2088180
well sorry for not being a native speaker.
> arent you an "applesauce sucking moron" aswell for falling for this?
>>
>>2088184
> watching you do everything to avoid using ctrl-v is pretty amusing aswell
>>
>>2088188
I don't think I even need to do that.

I did a quick google image search before we got going here and found a ton of graphs and maps I could post.

Just not sure why I should go to the trouble of posting something you don't care enough about to find yourself.
>>
>>2088148
>Dogs
>vaccinated
You want to tell that to all the people that deal with strays/wild dogs? Or the people that get bit by a nigs pit that never saw a vet in its life?
>>
>>2088191
so what's the prevalence?
how many cases of rabies are found in dogs in the US in, say, 2012?
>>
File: wp_001140_0001.jpg (108 KB, 1758x839) Image search: [Google]
wp_001140_0001.jpg
108 KB, 1758x839
Almost all data on rabies cases in the us shows dogs and bats almost neck and neck, the biggest reservoirs being raccoons and skunks. opossoms don't even register in the statistics.

now shut the fuck up, all of you.
>>
File: wp_001140_0001.jpg (38 KB, 500x363) Image search: [Google]
wp_001140_0001.jpg
38 KB, 500x363
>>2088195
both these charts are from the cdc website.
>>
File: 2011-wild-animals.gif (30 KB, 675x445) Image search: [Google]
2011-wild-animals.gif
30 KB, 675x445
>>2088196
>>2088195
it's not fucking hard.
>>
>>2088195
>108 KB JPGAlmost all data on rabies cases in the us shows dogs and bats almost neck and neck
kek

those aren't numbers of rabies cases on that chart.

the actual data are easy to find.
Here's a link for your efforts:

http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/pdfplus/10.2460/javma.245.10.1111

notice the abstract.
In 2013, 1598 cases were reported in bats.
89 in dogs.
>>
>>2088202
>3 cases of opossoms under 'other wildlife'

point stands
opossoms are so statistically negligible in rabies cases even domestic dogs outweigh them.
>>
>>2088207
Unfortunately we didn't get to see you actually google something for yourself.

maybe next time.
but we both know that won't happen. Even when you're right you're too stupid to back it up.
>>
File: littlefoot.jpg (2 KB, 126x117) Image search: [Google]
littlefoot.jpg
2 KB, 126x117
>you were right and reached your conclusion via basic reasoning, but since you didn't look up the numbers yourself you're wrong
>>
>>2088148
>dogs
>vaccinated
Do you understand the amount of people that actually bring their animal to a vet, let alone get it vaccinated yearly? It's nowhere near as popular as you must think.
>>
>>2088224
I never said you were wrong.

I even posted the paper to prove you right.

I said you're too lazy or stupid to find facts for yourself.
>>
File: VZM.IMG_20151102_160332.jpg (55 KB, 827x827) Image search: [Google]
VZM.IMG_20151102_160332.jpg
55 KB, 827x827
I came here for possum pics, you dicks
>>
>>2088195
2005 was a bad year for dogs
>>
They eat my chickens
>>
The smell, their uneven teeth, they kill my chickens and eat their eggs,fuckers even tore a hole on my shed roof.
Theyre worse than rats.
>>
File: IMG_20160324_220934-01.jpg (2 MB, 2294x1723) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160324_220934-01.jpg
2 MB, 2294x1723
Got this guy in my garbage. Instead of him eating my old rotten stuff I gave him a can of sardines. Name's Omar.
>>
>>2088114
But I don't hate oppossums! I love them. They're too cute for words.
>>
>>2088114
smell like shit
>>
>>2088114
How can I get a pet opossum?
>>
I adore them so much. Here is little Wilhelm again from two years ago.

Doing wildlife rehab and rescue work, I can tell you that there are a lot of animals that smell worse than opossums. Including cats. And that they don't develop the 'play dead' tick until they are a little bit older. At that point they can spray this nasty junk that is pretty smelly, but only do it when very upset/scared.

Now, if you feed opossum rotten meat and raw garbage, the smell is gonna change obviously.

They are the most chill little animals. Very easy to foster once they are eating and it is fun to feed them a whole variety of foods. They like to nibble on toes and their fur is so soft.
>>
>>2088492
>>
File: littleguy.jpg (55 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
littleguy.jpg
55 KB, 500x375
>>
>>2088495
into garbage disposal pls
>>
>>2088495
Look at that cutie
>>
I find that most "pest" animals are actually pretty cool and chill and only cause minor annoyances that could be easily remedied but most people are a combination of stupid, lazy, and childishly controlling.
>>
>>2088153
>you are less likely to get rabies from one because you are less likely to get near one
Amazing insight.
>>
>>2088400
Omar looks a little cross-eyed
>>
>>2088584
possums cause pest?
>>
>>2088137
Is that really the case? Or is it because if something with rabies manages to get it, it just ends up dying anyways?

In any event. I think there is a possum living behind my house somewhere, either that or one of my neighbors back patio sliding door needs some serious repair. Creepy ass sound.
>>
I like opossums.
>>
>>2088425
You have to dig through road kill. Look for the pouch and hope there's still some live babies in there. If there are, you can pull them out and feed them kitten formula and hope they live. If they're too young, probably not. If they have fur, you have a pretty good chance. But you're going to have to take the little guys with you everywhere. Tucked into your shirt or something to keep them nice and warm. And feed them constantly too. Good luck!
>>
>>2088176
To be perfectly fair lead's less likely to cause this type of cognitive defect than a ghetto attitude of general disregard for education.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.