[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hello i am looking into interesting animals and plants so if
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 15
File: nepenthes.jpg (182 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
nepenthes.jpg
182 KB, 1200x1600
hello

i am looking into interesting animals and plants
so if you know an interesting animal or plant, please post it here, tell us the name of it and maybe why it is interesting.

i will start with the nepenthes
i feel the nepenthes is interesting because it sets up the insects by having the sweet sent of nectar, and when the insects go try taking the nectar, they are trapped in acid.

and this is the way the nepenthes lives

hope yall got something interesting to share
>>
File: 1407288904274.jpg (491 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1407288904274.jpg
491 KB, 1024x768
I'll join in.

Pic related, "Yareta"

Grows at high altitudes in Peru/Chile in poor, acidic soil and more often on rocks.

It grows so extremely dense that it feels as hard as a rock, or like a hard wood.

It grows only 1.5cm per year, so big patches like in pic related could be up to 3,000 years old.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yareta

http://www.sciencefriday.com/articles/picture-of-the-week-llareta/
>>
File: 3455180455_cfde67e18f_b[1].jpg (553 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
3455180455_cfde67e18f_b[1].jpg
553 KB, 1024x768
>>2087717
Another picture.
>>
File: images-37.jpg (9 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
images-37.jpg
9 KB, 275x183
Marimo. Always recognized as moss when thEY ARE ALGE. Usually grows in lakes and the constant rolling causes the adorabley fluffy shapes. A popular plant/pet. Also if you buy one make sure its quivk shipping and no sketchy shit. Sometimes they rot if the shippings too long :/
>>
>>2087717
>>2087719
This stuff looks like it's photoshopped
It's cool
>>
>>2087725
i just purchased some of these for my 20 gallon aquarium.
>>
I like some of the really weird plants. First, the ferns. There are the ant ferns such as Lecanopteris which are absolutely super interesting. They formed symbiotic relationships with ants. There are also the other ant plants such as Hydnophytum, Myrmecodia, and Dischidia. They grow specialized structures to house the ants and they grow symbiotically like the ant fern. Next, the Gesneriads. They are very pretty and they include such things as the African Violet. The most interesting plants that are Gesneriads are the Sinningia. They are absolutely microscopic and they bloom quite readily. Orchids are absolutely awesome, too. I have a preference towards miniatures which are very small. You'll find interesting species such as the Pleurothallids which includes Pleurothallis, but also Lepanthes and Restrepia. Some interesting Lepanthes are Lepanthes telipogoniflora and Lepanthes calodictyon. Lepanthes telipogoniflora gets its name from a species of cool-growing orchids called Telipogon. There is also Trichosalpinx which are very variable. Another orchid that I find to be interesting are the Lockhartia. They grow braided and have very interesting flowers. Bulbophyllum and Oberonia are orchids that should be checked out. There are also carnivorous plants which I'll go into in the next post as I'm running out of space here.
>>
>>2091033
Please continue also pics of your plants?
>>
>>2091075
Ok. I'll photo dump in a couple. The carnivorous plants are a very large group of plants encompassing over ten genus. The ones I find most interesting are the Heliamphora which grow on tepuis in South America. They are only recently described and somewhat hard to find in America. The next species which I like is the Drosera. Very variable from the tuberous species to the South American species. Plants like Drosera zonaria and Drosera zigzagia are a few examples of the tuberous sundews which grow in Australia. They form tubers in the winter and they die back to them in the summer. The South American species of Drosera are also very interesting. D. spiralis and D. meristocaulis are interesting. D. meristocaulis is quite interesting as it a pygmy sundews native to South America, even though the pygmy sundews are usually found in Australia. The next species are the butterworts. They can be divided into three groups: the Mexican, the temperate, and the tropical. The Mexican ones have very pretty flowers and also have dormancy periods like the temperates sometimes do. The temperate category can be further subdivided into cold temperate and warm temperate. The cold temperate are species like P. vulgaris which forms a hibernacula during the winter. The warm temperate are species like P. planifolia which do not form a hibernacula. The tropical ones are plants like P. filifolia which are native to Cuba and are supposedly hard to keep alive for long periods of time as they release a form of poison from the roots (?). The next species is Cephalotus which is monotypical. They live on beach cliffs in Southern Australia and are very interesting looking. Other species are Drosophyllum and Utricularia. Drosophyllum grows much drier than the other CPs. It looks somewhat like a sundew. Utricularia are bladderworts. The most interesting are the orchid bladderworts such as U. reniformis and U. quelchii. They have flowers that are very large and very showy.
>>
>>2091110
There are also other genus such as Philcoxia, Genlisea, Roridula, Brocchinia, Nepenthes (as you already know), Sarracenia, and Catopsis. Just look up photos of them. There are also airplants. There are some airplants which are myrmecophytic such as T. seleriana and T. caput-medusae. In terms of succulents, I really like the Mesembs also known as the Aizoceae. That includes the Lithops, Conophytum, Argyoderma, Titanopsis, and Corpuscularia genus. They have very interesting foliage and flowers.
>>
These plants are from a botanical garden of the very old estate of a billionaire.
https://imgur.com/a/jps9c
>>
>>
File: Dyakia hendersonii.jpg (3 MB, 2327x2148) Image search: [Google]
Dyakia hendersonii.jpg
3 MB, 2327x2148
>>
File: Pholidota cantonensis.jpg (3 MB, 1897x2636) Image search: [Google]
Pholidota cantonensis.jpg
3 MB, 1897x2636
This one smells like parlor lilies.
>>
My Microsaccus griffithii in bloom.
https://imgur.com/YzDiPqW
>>
My Haraella retrocalla in bloom. It smells like lemons. https://imgur.com/YBt0i8l
>>
Cephalotus follicularis https://imgur.com/ci7a70l
>>
Bumperoni.
>>
>>2087710
How corrosive is that plant's digestive fluids? Like if someone fucked it would their dick be okay? Could the plant digest and use the sperm for protein or whatever?
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I own a nepenthes and I'd pick them anyday against a venus fly trap. The cool thing about fly traps is to watch the mouth close, but it's really energy consuming for the plant if you do it for laughs and it cannot feed on dead insects. I live and Canada and I also feel the nepenthes are more resilient to winter. It just stops ro produce pitchers for the time.

Here it is
>>
File: 2016-03-30 20.31.01.jpg (207 KB, 1885x1060) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-30 20.31.01.jpg
207 KB, 1885x1060
>>2091033
Sinningia are microscopic?
The Sinningias I know are all relatively small caudex plants, but microscopic?

Pic. is of my S. (Rechsteineria) leucotricha

The only "microscopic" flowering plant I know is Wolffia globosa

Maybe I just read it wrong
>>
>>2091652
I was alluding to the micro mini Sinningia, Sinnigia pusilla, which as far as I know, is quite small--not as small as Wolffia, but still small.
>>
>>2091434
Important questions need to be answered
>>
> op asks for interesting plants or animals
> pic and a small blurb on why it's neat
> autist proceeds to hit the character limit twice just listing off names of plants they like
> asked for pics
> k let me post pedestrian as fuck pics of orchid leaves

/an/
>>
first two posts made the thread seem good
>>
>>2091776
Suck mommy's dick again, hun. She's lonely. An anon asked me for more about plants and I gave him more.
>being an annoying cunt on 4chan when the conversation doesn't involve you
>>
File: 154244622_dc1c3f6db4_z.jpg (122 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
154244622_dc1c3f6db4_z.jpg
122 KB, 500x375
Aztekium ritteri and besides looking great, also grows at the rate of less than 1mm a year, but can be faster in cultivation.
>>
File: b99353.jpg (282 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
b99353.jpg
282 KB, 800x800
Tylecodon Reticulatus.
Grows fairly slowly and drops it's leaves when it starts getting hotter. When it flowers it leaves behind the flower stems which look like barbed wire.
Also incredibly toxic causing heart diseases if consumed.
>>
File: theresae_clump_810_810.jpg (345 KB, 810x654) Image search: [Google]
theresae_clump_810_810.jpg
345 KB, 810x654
Mammillaria theresae
Bizarre cactus which pulls the seed pods into it's body after the flowers have been pollinated.
This makes it an issue for hobbyists to produce seeds/specimens since they'd have to kill the mother plant. The biggest issue however is that the seeds viability actually increases with time rather than decreases and can take many years to sprout.
>>
File: durian.jpg (100 KB, 1024x684) Image search: [Google]
durian.jpg
100 KB, 1024x684
>>2087710
I like durian
>>
>>2091589
VFTs are the biggest scam. They look cool, but they're pretty much an expert level plant. They require specific soil, specific water, and need a winter dormancy period.

Nepenthes just need mild competency and humidity.
>>
File: 2016-04-03 19.32.41.jpg (290 KB, 1060x1883) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-03 19.32.41.jpg
290 KB, 1060x1883
>>2093896
I have different VFT variants, they are outside in "bog tanks"

this way, they are relatively easy to care for

just make sure the substrate (pure peat) is always really wet and don't let them get in touch with hard water, only use rain- or destilled water

This works great for some sundew dpecies and Sarracenia and well

Also, because this is a strange plant thread:

I love Voodoo lilies, meaning Amorphophallus and similar Genera.
They look absolutely stunning andtheir live cycle is really interesting. The only downside is their smell

Here is one of my Typhonium venosum, their hibernation just ended and they are starting to bloom.
>>
File: sarracena hybrids.jpg (3 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
sarracena hybrids.jpg
3 MB, 4160x3120
>>2093896
Sarracenia are much better starter carnivorous plants, vft are prone to rot if you overwater them (which is easy to do) and everything requires a lot of energy for them (I don't let mine flower for example).

Sarracenia are big, vigorous, colorfoul and actually competent at getting any prey (specially flava and rubra)
>>
>>2093896
>>2093976
I've been growning VFTs, nepenthes, a few sarracenia, a darlingtonia and a heliamphora for quite some time now
I can tell you that VFTs are cunts. They seem easy to grow because hey if walmart sells them, they must be easy. But unless you live in a humid place, they are going to grow very anemically and are just meh. The dormancy requirement for them is also a big confusing for beginning growers.
Sarracenia are not the best carnivorous plants.
They also require that pesky dormancy period. If you forget, well, RIP your plant friend
Darlingtonia and Heliamphora are fucking CUNTS. Do not grow. 0/10
Nepenthes are superior. Unless you get a quirky highland species or some weird-ass lowlander.
But if you want to start growing these plants, start with a Nepenthes highland x lowland hybrid.
I got a N. Ventrata like 5 years ago when I was still in high school and the last time I visited my parents over winter break, it was still alive.
And my mom is the kind of person that manages to kill cacti
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.