[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tarantula questions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3
File: GreenbottleBlueTarantula.jpg (211 KB, 540x381) Image search: [Google]
GreenbottleBlueTarantula.jpg
211 KB, 540x381
Any experienced tarantula owners? Looking to be a first time owner but I have a couple questions I cannot find clear answers on. The foremeost being temperature to keep it at. I keep seeing most like it between 70-80. I do not plan on having a tarantula room and my house is normally between 65-70. Is it okay to keep at that temperature? If not, what can I do to ensure proper heat?
>>
Why would you consider getting a pet if you know off the bat that you're unwilling to meet the basic biological requirements of that pet?
>>
OP here. Not at all what I said. Thanks for the comment though. Very helpful.
>>
File: 6843678764_b9935532c9_b.jpg (307 KB, 1024x744) Image search: [Google]
6843678764_b9935532c9_b.jpg
307 KB, 1024x744
Aside from a few species, those temps are rough guidelines. If your house is in the 70s during the day and mids 60s at night, it's fine. They'll just grow slower. You can place them next to your computer tower if you have a desktop or rig up an ambient heating system using an UTH, heat lamp that's not direct on the containers at all or a space heater to keep them warmer. Increasing the air temperature in the general area is key, not the substrate or the enclosure.

Poecilotheria subfusca likes it cooler though if you wanna dance with the devil in the pale moonlight.
>>
OP here. That is great info. Thank you. I read a lot about lights but did not want to use one. I read a lot of people use heat pads, but they can be tricky. My only other real question is whether to try and raise a sling or go for a juvenile. Slings seem sort of intimidating because they are so small. I do not want a mature though because they are so expensive and obviously you have less time with them.
>>
File: IMG_7621e.jpg (668 KB, 1024x720) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7621e.jpg
668 KB, 1024x720
>>2087454
>obviously you have less time with them

Eh, I had those thoughts when I started too, but these shits live for 10-30+ years unless you get a male.

As far as slings or juvies, it depends on what species you want. You don't want an Aphonopelma sling starting out, for example. Takes too long to grow. You'll have a 1/2" thing for a year or more. P. subfusca would be best as a sling to get accustomed to their behavior over time. A spider that can put you in the hospital isn't the best to start out with though. GBBs are good at any size and hardy. Worth getting a sling for the color change, in my opinion.

Juvies are more expensive but have higher survival rates in general. Slings are cheap and you can get multiples to offset that and increase your chances of a female.
>>
OP here. I am planning on getting a GBB, so that is good to know. Lots of people say they are good beginners. Having trouble finding them right now, though a couple people have said to try a Reptile show and I know there is one in my area every couple of months.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.