[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Camas
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: cama.jpg (271 KB, 800x523) Image search: [Google]
cama.jpg
271 KB, 800x523
Are Camas (a hybrid between a male dromedary camel and a female llama) sterile?

From what I've read nobody has actually tried yet but diploid chromosome number of 2n=74, so theoretically they might not be sterile like most hybrids?
>>
What purpose do they serve?
>>
>>2086157
>The aim was to create an animal capable of higher wool production than the llama, with the size and strength of a camel and a cooperative temperament.
>Much like camels, camas are herbivores that eat shrubs and other plant matter. They can drink large amounts of water at a time, then survive with little or no water for long periods.
> He was also a behavioral disappointment, displaying an extremely poor temperament. A more recent story suggests that his behavior is generally more gentle, as was hoped for.

According to wiki there's only like five of them so they're way too new to see much what they are looking for. They also have cloven hooves more than to of a llama than camels, so that may also help in getting around rougher terrain.

And OP why are you asking this question? No one is going to know for sure until they try. Also like mules, not all of them are sterile despite having a different number of chromosomes. Mare mules have been known to be able continue to breed. This also goes for horse-zebra hybrids, not sure about donkey-zebra hybrids though. Some cattle(like bison and our taurine cattle) can also interbred and be fertile(though it's more successful when they breed them back and fourth).

tl;dr No one will know until they try.
>>
>>2086162
Thank you for the response, I hope your Camas are able to propagate
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.