[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: we share training methods we used with our dogs and how
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 14
File: IMG_20160319_091829.jpg (2 MB, 3024x4032) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160319_091829.jpg
2 MB, 3024x4032
ITT: we share training methods we used with our dogs and how effective they where
>>
Taught my puppy whistle sit at 8 weeks positive reinforcement. https://youtu.be/J0nTcqsinsc
>>
Taught mid air frisbee catch into water
https://youtu.be/3aQiBscPsvw
>>
File: you.jpg (43 KB, 672x492) Image search: [Google]
you.jpg
43 KB, 672x492
>>2085613
>hide thread
>>
Crate training was super effective for house training my dog. Provided lots of opportunities for positive reinforcement. Never had to use it again after that.

Also used those little training treats to teach sit, lay down, shake, and balance treat on nose / catch in mouth trick. Stay was just tought through positive reinforcement over a long period of time.

Used a collar for a couple weeks to get him to stop jumping up on guests. I hated using it but the one thing I can say is it is so effective you only have to use it a few times and then lots of positive reinforcement for good behavior after that
>>
File: DSC00494.jpg (840 KB, 1824x1368) Image search: [Google]
DSC00494.jpg
840 KB, 1824x1368
>>2085613

>mfw we werent the ones to teach my pupper good manners
>mfw it was his mom that teached him to be a good dog

feels good, now the pupper never bites, doesnt get aggresive when eating and listens to basic commands.
>>
Clicker training has worked extremely well with one of my dogs. He's learnt to do all sorts of things using capture and mark, and luring techniques.

My other dog thinks it's a waste of fucking time and will hang around for about 20 seconds and then wander off to go do his own thing. He's not afraid of the click, but he's extraordinarily difficult to motivate, and he doesn't particularly respond to food, praise, or play rewards. So while I've been working with the click means Good Things with him model, I've never gotten him beyond it, because he just doesn't care enough. And it is not an effective way to train him.
>>
>>2085637
What does that mean
>>
>>2085613
Gee, I wonder what OP wanted to achieve with this thread.
>>
File: IMG_20160314_174444.jpg (3 MB, 3024x4032) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160314_174444.jpg
3 MB, 3024x4032
>>2085622
How did you introduce your doge to water? I'm afraid to just throw her in and traumatize her and make her hate water ha
>>
>>2085778
>traumatize her

it's a dog, not a millennial. for things that haven't been taught to feel traumatized, like millennials, traumatization requires trauma.
>>
>>2085725
What do you mean? I just got a puppy and there's so much conflicting information online I wanted to hear about people's actual experiences
>>
>>2085778
https://youtu.be/hrdapHByzTo
Its easy with puppies to get them to follow you around while your running at a good speed, this inspires your dogs natural chasing instincts and will help later with going in the water, after they do that run up to the water with their favorite toy and play with it in the water while pretending to be having a real fun time withouth them splash around and give them verbal reward for coming close to the edge all while maintaing a positive attitude, then get them chasing you around the bank and then when they seem to be having a fun time with you run into the water with a toy and play with it in the shallows get them splashing aound with their toys then go deeper, if there is no shallow part get them chasing you and run into the water calling them and most of the time they naturally start swimming towards you not even noticing the water, if they splash trying to keep their head above water hold one of their toys 6 inches in the water to train them to hold their breath when their nose gets wet, never throw your dog in the water and hope its a quick learner, play around in it having a good time and try to get them to want to play with you. in a rambly bambly nutshell goto hell I liKE puppies
>>
>Got my pup two years ago
>Don't know shit about training dogs, do hurdur dominence training shit
>Punish for pooping on carpet, spanking for chewing on shoes, etc.
>When pup is about 4 months, see dog trainer meeting at library and decide to go
>Learn a lot of stuff, realize they'res different ways to teach a dog
>Start using tricks we learned at the meeting, things going much smoother and she's awesome leash walker finally
>Discover /an/ about a month later and decide to lurk
>discover Zakgeorge and Kiko pup
>Slowly spend the next tqo years undoing damage, working on fear issues, and building trust
>Now have a loving, trustworthy dog that has grown courage and doesn't cower but recognises when danger is real

Feels good guys. Wouldn't ever go back to training with punishment. It also completely changed my perspective on humans and how much we have bred dogs to understand us, and how if you raise a kid with punishments and fear, they will act like a dog and flinch and not have confidence, or snap easily.
>>
TSST! TSST!
>>
>>2085613
When my dog was a puppy I trained him to not beg for food by hitting him with a plate on the snout. Now he is afraid of plates and wants nothing to do with them or the dinner table. You can hold a plate of food by his face and he'll turn his head away.
>>
File: IMG_3611.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3611.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
When my dog was a puppy we would hike lame rock/paved forest service trails. When I felt like going back I would say "let's head home", he finally just naturally turned around and headed back when I said it.

Que 6 months later and "lets head back" is now 6 + miles of forest that I'm just following him lost as hell and I start noticing little steams or a rock formation. I bought him a steak once because of it.
>>
Everytime my dog did something I didn't like, I ate him.

He stopped doing it, I'll tell you that much.
>>
>>2085883
>I've heard conflicting advice
>4chan can clear that up for me
>>
everytime my dog barks I fire a gunshot in the air. He's very scared of the sound and now when he barks he just gets extremely jumpy and anxious until I finally shoot ahah
>>
>>2086233
You made your dog gunshy great job bro, I do the opposite and teach my dogs to run towards the gunshot and look for animals to bring back.
>>
For whatever reason, anytime any of my pets do something bad I make that horrible, inhale, gasp sound. I've never hit any of my animals of anything horrible like that, but anytime I make that sound, they cringe. It's kinda funny. I've had to stop myself from laughing because of their reaction to my reaction.
>>
File: 2016-03-21 (2).png (368 KB, 475x592) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-21 (2).png
368 KB, 475x592
>>2085704
>My other dog thinks it's a waste of fucking time
The dog I adopted a couple of months ago, Amos on the left, is this way too. I've been trying clicker training, got the clicker timing down with zak george vids. The other dog is all about it, but idk how to train a Newfoundland/Irish Wolfhound mix -_- I thought he'd be smart, but he's aloof as shit. I've only been able to teach him sit. He won't come to me at all when I call him which is the major thing I've been trying to work on.
>>2085621
What kind of whistle is that? Like, where'd you buy it etc.
>>
File: 20160307_150112_HDR.jpg (3 MB, 2988x4938) Image search: [Google]
20160307_150112_HDR.jpg
3 MB, 2988x4938
Another pic, just to share. He drives me insane sometimes, but he's fucking adorable.
>>
File: OMW.jpg (108 KB, 576x576) Image search: [Google]
OMW.jpg
108 KB, 576x576
>>2086620
orange mega whistle
>>
>>2086620
Had a dog that would not come when I called him at all. I would use the car and he'd hop in the back seat. Things like that. He'd stay in watching distance of me usually, but he was a total brat. Until the day I heard him yipe in the distance and started calling for him frantically. He came hauling back with a face full of porcupine quills. He was shaking and nervous as hell. I've never seen a dog run so fast. So I calmed him down and removed the quills as gently as possible and very carefully examined him to see if he had any quills any where else or any other kind of injury. The whole time I told him in a soothing voice what a good boy he was. By the time I got all the quills out he had crawled right into my lap and was pressed as tightly to me as possible. Ever since that day, he comes when called no matter what. It's freaking amazing. Porcupine. Awesome for dog training.
>>
File: Mila.jpg (1 MB, 4000x1361) Image search: [Google]
Mila.jpg
1 MB, 4000x1361
She was an absolute menace for the first, easily, 6 months we had her. Would never come when called (she only is just starting to now) would always go over to the neighbors yard, would constantly think everything was a game.

To some degree she hasn't changed even being a year on from getting her. However, she knows how to sit, lay down, roll over, catch a ball, swim in a circle, fetch and drop all by hand signals. All taught through positive reinforcement and treats. Being a beagle, they love fucking food.

The way we are slowly teaching her how to behave is if she does something naughty, tapp on the nose enough to scare her, not harm her, and ignore her for a few minutes. She end up sitting out our feet or on our lap and licking our hands in a way to say sorry. And when she behaves we pat her and tell her she is a good girl.

Seems to be working so far.
>>
>>2086165
This was lame but I kekd. Thx dad
>>
Going to get some hate, but I've had good success teaching my dog to walk on a lead with a choke chain. If he walked ahead, I popped the collar, gave a "no!" and lots and lots of praise when he got back into heel. When he walked in heel a lot, he got a treat and lots of praise.

Also, this was massively helpful, but walking back and forth. He sort of has doggo ADD, so if he lost his focus, I would pick two landmarks 10 to 20 yards apart, start and one and start walking to the other. If he charged ahead, I just would turn around, and would turn back around when I got to the first landmark. Repeat until he would walk from one landmark back 3ish times.

I also taught him leave it. He tunnels on dogs and people super hard. So I gave a leave it, if it broke his focus, he would get a good boy and a treat.
>>
File: beachdogs.jpg (219 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
beachdogs.jpg
219 KB, 1280x960
>>2086620
Sometimes, you gotta train things the old-fashioned manual way. Use a trailing leash, and when you ask for a recall, pick the leash up, reel the dog back in, and praise then/do whatever lets the dog know he's been a good boy.

He's very cute, by the way.

I actually use e-collars out and about. I was taught by someone knowledgeable with them how to use them correctly with the dog, and couple them with positive reinforcement, and it has worked tremendously well. But e-collars aren't for every dog, and they're certainly too harsh for some.
>>
I've always found a good beating with a belt or leather strap when the dog does something I don't want to be quite effective.
>>
File: 1367263223494.png (6 KB, 246x271) Image search: [Google]
1367263223494.png
6 KB, 246x271
>my dog's face when "good girl"
Useful but also annoying. Praise her for not eating some shit off the ground and I'm falling over her because she's bouncing around my feet with joy.
>>
>>2085946
Sad part is it actually works
>>
File: 20160304_204419_HDR.jpg (2 MB, 2988x3960) Image search: [Google]
20160304_204419_HDR.jpg
2 MB, 2988x3960
>>2086758
>Porcupine. Awesome for dog training.
Thanks.
>>2086636
I'll probs go to petsmart and get a 5 finger discount on this.
>>2086990
Thanks, maybe that's what I need to do :| He's excellent on leash and heeling, but he's terrible off leash when his name is called and he's terrible when I pull him to me, he only wants to come willingly. It's frustrating as shit, because my last dog was perfect and I can't help but compare. I just lost a whole fucking couch to the fucker today after he spent the whole morning playing with his bro and the neighbor's dog. Went to work for a few hours, came back, couch cushion destroyed. I've honestly been resenting him so much. It's the second time he gets into the same cushion, first time wasn't so bad, this time it's beyond repair. In between these cushion incidents he also peed on the dog bed I diy-ed in the corner of pic related which was the first time he got into it. Today the couch is has made its way to the dumpster. I hate him so much right now I had half a mind to go with >>2087053 this method. 2 months in and I have buyer's remorse and he's driving me insane. Should've just gotten a fucking weim. But this is my drunk tired mind speaking, I'll wake up with him in bed in a couple of weeks and love him again. I need to give him at least 6 months of training attempts before I give up. Honestly about to go to someone for a training sesh to give me insight of what methods his specific kind of retardedness would respond to.
>>2087085
At least she listens to you.
>>
File: 20160304_204436_HDR.jpg (3 MB, 2988x4543) Image search: [Google]
20160304_204436_HDR.jpg
3 MB, 2988x4543
Posting more pics of first couch cushion incident because raging a lil right now.
Goodbye $10 Goodwill couch. You won't be missed really.
>>
File: 20160305_102742_HDR.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160305_102742_HDR.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
I hate him ;-;
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.