[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First Time Aquarium
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: 1407898972987.gif (2 MB, 224x304) Image search: [Google]
1407898972987.gif
2 MB, 224x304
Hey /an/, what's a great first time aquarium setup? Nothing too big, something you could fit on a large desk or something similar. I'd like to get shrimp, but I know you'll tell me those aren't for beginners.

Pic related will probably be me

Any input is much appreciated
>>
This is now the aquarium general
>>
>>2085173
>This is now the aquarium general

good because I have a dumb question for it

Are gallons in a fishtank 1:1? Because I just calculated my Pentagon tank(found in the trash) at 49.9 gallons but actually physically adding water from a milk jug brought it to around 80 gallons
>>
>>2085171
get a 20-30 gallon or something cheap off of Craigslist. You dont need to overthink it
>>
>>2085181
Maybe you just suck at math.
>>
>>2085181
Might have done your calculations wrong. What are the dimensions?
>>
>>2085181
>Are gallons in a fishtank 1:1?
yes.

most likely your math is a bit off. Or you're underfilling the gallon jug. Or the jug is off.
>>
>>2085184
>>2085186
>>2085188
my math is admittedly very shit, which is why I used a calculator online like an hour ago

http://www.theaquatools.com/volume-calculator

I have 5-sided tank. The 3 front panels are 13x13x13. The back panels are 22.5x22.5
Height is 25in. According to this, my tank is 49.9 gallons

Any advice would be appreciated. I just want my (grandmother's) Platys to stop dying.
>>
File: 00505_17SUvvZKs0F_600x450.jpg (32 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
00505_17SUvvZKs0F_600x450.jpg
32 KB, 600x450
>>2085183
I found one in my local listings, but it comes with a long plecostomus, a long male golden gourami, and 4 zebra danios, and the guy says he filters using sponges and other plants. How easy is the upkeep for these guys?
>>
>>2085195
Jesus Christ, that's either a huge ass Pleco or a way too small tank. I dont know about Gourami but Plecos live through anything

It might be better for you to start 'fresh' Buy your own rocks/decorations and whatnot
>>
>>2085193
checked against 5 other online calculators, all gave the same result.

I'm guessing you miscounted gallon pours or underfilled the jug.

or measured wrong.

you could try it again using 5g buckets to fill.
>>
>>2085205
that has to be it then. I used a 4 quart milk jug and a 4 gallon bucket but didnt think i'd get so wide an error. Would explain why my fish arent doing well if they're in double the salt etc they should be

Looks like I have a wet afternoon ahead of me. Thanks for double-checking. I really am absolute garbage at measuring shit
>>
>>2085171
Shrimp aren't very difficult if you stay away from the fancier ones and put them in an established aquarium. Wild type cherry shrimp and maybe even Opae Ula would be worth considering if you don't mind mixing your own brackish water.
>>
>>2085200
It doesn't list the exact dimensions of the tank, only that it's 20 gal, but it's an 8" pleco. And yeah, I think I'll start from scratch. What fish/animals do recommend for a tank that size?
>>
>>2085290
Not the guy you're responding to but I'll bite. For a 20 g community, I'd look into some of the tetra species for a nice shoal. Be sure to get at least 6 - 7 of the same species so they don't stress out. You can fit two shoals in there even. Neons, cardinals, and rummynoses are all good.

If you don't want to stick to just tetras, you could stick with the zebra danios or maybe go with tiger barbs. I suggest the same minimum of fish for a shoal for these guys especially since I hear they can get particularly aggressive and will pick on your gentler fish if they're in too small a shoal. Best for them to vent their energy on eachother.

If you want a centerpiece fish, gouramis or some of the dwarf cichlid species are good starters. Be mindful of keeping barbs with long-finned fish. They can be fervent fin nippers and long-finned fish tend to be on the slow side, so they can easily be picked on by the faster barbs.

For bottom dwellers, cory cats are a classic choice. But my favorite are ghost shrimp and African dwarf frogs. They are surprisingly interactive and you'll be amazed at how cute they are when they swarm around your hand or wait at the surface around feeding time. Go ahead and hand-feed your frogs/shrimp.

If you are going for a live planted tank (which I highly recommend you do for both aesthetics and cleanliness), look up the Walstad method. You'll save yourself a bunch of grief, maintenance, and money this way.
>>
>>2085195
Does it come with the live plants? If so, take the 20 gallon, give away the fish or take them out for "a walk", remove anything you desire (substrate for instance).
New fish, new substrate, possibly new plants.
>>
>>2085171
>shrimp aren't for beginners
False, I would recommend getting Ghost Shrimp since they're impossible to stop, you can get Red Cherry Shrimp once you establish your tank.
>>
>>2085882
>I'll bite
>>
>>2085171
ghost shrimp are pretty easy at keeping. If you mix in fish be careful though. Some shrimp will go mysteriously missing lol
>>
>>2085195
Honestly IMO if hes giving that cheap that's a great deal. Just ask the guy about the fish and plants. And read online. All those fish are hardy as fuck the most difficult out of all of them is the gourami, but the dude already made its accommodations. Thats a good to go aquarium starter pack.
>>
File: 20160323_184405.jpg (879 KB, 2240x1344) Image search: [Google]
20160323_184405.jpg
879 KB, 2240x1344
>>2085171
Awesome homie, you should get ghost shrimp you'll need a heater and a top to go on your tank or they will jump out. Pic is my oscar i have in a 65 gallon tank with 5 tiger barbs 1 peacock eel 1 catfish 1plecostomas.
>>
How often do you need to clean a 20 gallon tank?
Is there ways you can set it up so you never have to clean it?
>>
>>2085882
>I'll bite

Aquarium general everybody
>>
>>2088059
>How often do you need to clean a 20 gallon
About 2-4 months in a planted tank.
>never have to clean it?
Walstad method(whatever that shit means). Have a decent cleaning crew, plants everywhere, and a cycled tank.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.