[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Slime Mould Care
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 10
File: 1455761627837s.jpg (70 KB, 606x341) Image search: [Google]
1455761627837s.jpg
70 KB, 606x341
There are bunches of slime mould colonies near where I live that look like pic related but orange. I want to keep one as a pet, any tips for slime mould care?
>>
>>2084770
Not sure. Aren't slime molds supposedly really intelligent, and good at problem solving?

Not sure what kind of enclosure you plan on putting them in, but I'm pretty sure they can escape from anything that isn't airtight, infesting the rest of your home.

No idea what they eat. Probably everything.
>>
Try sucking a dick
>>
I'm no expert, but try to mimic the conditions you've seen it occurring in in the wild (most likely humid and shaded). Maybe try to contact a mycologist or something to identify it. You'll want a growth medium for it, see if you can get hold of some agar gel (you may be able to make a substitute in the kitchen at home) and a petri dish. Make mazes out of card and shit in the petri dish, watch it navigate them and stuff.Keep the petri dish closed to retain humidity and prevent the colony from spilling over, just use an elastic band or something. Not sure how anoxic conditions affect their growth though
>>
http://www.buildingthepride.com/faculty/pgdavison/PHYSARUM%20culture%20for%20web.html
>>
OP here. If i get a slime mould, would I be able to force multiple colonies to fuse? If so, to what extent? Could I get a colony the size of a cat if I found enough of them?
>>
>>2085138
>colonies
They're actually just very large cells, not colonies. They're one of the largest single celled organisms to exist. So no, they won't "fuse" since they're separate organisms.

Also, they eat oat flakes.
>>
>>2085176
That makes a lot more sense to how they work. I kind of figured they where like magic land coral
>>
>>2085176

I watch some youtube video where i guy cut up the a mold and put the pieces on a circuit to have it drive a robot. The cut up pieces then reconnected themselves or maybe ate each other. So fusing them shouldn't be too out of the question?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEyWwUNj_es
starts at 8:10
>>
>>2084770

You fucking idiot OP that's not a slime mold it's a brown recluse. Stay away from it or you might get bitten, and maybe learn how to identify wildlife you twat.
>>
Op here, do you think I could fry up and eat a slime mould like an egg? I know the scrambled egg variety you can eat, but i'm not sure about other types.

Regardless, i'm going eat one once I get a habitat up and running when they start to come out. Since it's an amoeba eating a dead one shouldn't be too harmful. At the very worst it could probably crawl out of my belly and through my eyes if I don't cook it well enough.
>>
>>2085344
Sounds like a plan
>>
>>2085176
But that's fucking wrong.

You're making a huge generalisation. First of all, slime moulds are polyphyletic, its an artificial grouping. You're referring specifically to the myxogastria, and a few other groups. In many other slime moulds the individual cells aren't visible to the naked eye, only when they congregate. And even unicellular slime moulds congregate from time to time.

If OP really wants to learn more about slime moulds I recommend getting hold of some P. physarum - it's used in laboratories, seems to be the easiest to culture, and will display all the cool emergent behaviours you want to see.
>>
File: 2016-03-12 14.12.04.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-12 14.12.04.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
I have one, it's cool as shit
>>
>>2085176
That's fascinating. Glad I learned something today :^)
>>
>>2085756
OP here, would you mind tasting it for me? Since I plan on eating one I would like to know what thye taste like first.

Just lick it, or cut a small piece off to cook.
>>
>>2085898
What the fuck
>>
>>2085756

sweet slime mold bro
>>
>>2085898
Holy shit, I don't think you can eat them. Also it's kind of my baby so I'd rather not lick it.
>>2085901
Thanks!
>>
What the fuck is this shit?
>>
>>2085917

slime mold

here's some slime mold enjoying a beer
>>
>>2085344

Try posting on /ck/. I'm sure they have some slime mold recipes they would be willing to share with you.

Sounds tasty!~
>>
File: 776928332_984577.gif (176 KB, 400x266) Image search: [Google]
776928332_984577.gif
176 KB, 400x266
>>2085934
>>
>>2084770
This is some next level shitposting

bravo
>>
>>2084770
Well, it seems to be doing good right where it is, so just leave it there and don't bother it and keep us posted.

You're Christopher Columbus now, for us all.
>>
>>2084770
I highly recommend that you attempt a Vulcan mind-meld.

Ask it what it wants.

Express hopes for peace and future trade between our two peoples.
>>
Try marketing it as a pet to other like-minded individuals.

Because nothing ensures the continued proliferation of a species like blatant exploitation for profit.
>>
>>2086059
I don't think one would mind being taken into captivity. They are amoebas, a group of single celled organisms. Basically plants except made of the same stuff as egg whites. They are not anything that would suffer any emotional or physical trauma from being ripped from the wild like a reptile or mammal.
>>
>>2084770
get as many as you fucking can, explore far away from home if need be but get as many as you can.

then you fuse them, all of them.

and then if you're still alive you send us timestamped pics and tell us what the super slime does. shit bro you could be the guy who made an extremely common monster in fantasy settings and RPGs/JRPGs a reality.

of course, it'll probably dominate your house and eat you, but i say it's worth it.
>>
>>2086085
I was actually planning on that from the beginning, but I've gotten some mixed answers on if it where possible. The ones near my house like to stay clumped together rather than spread out like the common yellow kind people normally get, so they shouldn't cause too much trouble. But if they decide to squish out they could probably coat my entire kitchen in a thin layer of goo if they get as big as a small cat.
>>
File: 1455761627837s.jpg (445 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
1455761627837s.jpg
445 KB, 900x675
Does anyone know of any sites that list the types of slime moulds? I can not find pictures of anything that looks like the slime moulds near my house. The closest thing I got is this cedar rust thing, but the ones I see are nowhere near cedar or apple trees. Also mine are a bit redder and have the consistency of peach jelly.
>>
>>2086091
put them on different corners and place food in the middle then watch how they interact once all groups arrive at the same spot.

if they assemble like true avengers then you activate the King Slime initiative, otherwise you'll need to think of a way to fuse them by force without causing unnecessary losses.

do report on your progress though, slow as it may be these things are pretty interesting.
>>
>>2086116
I plan on keeping /an/ posted on my quest for a giant jelly once they start coming out, which is usually around the same time as morel mushrooms.
>>
>>2086119
i'll be waiting anon.
>>
>>2085318
>Brown recluse
Nigga thats a Bobcat
>>
>>2085756

I'm so jealous. I found one of those guys (same type as yours) out in the wild and took him home. Put it in a damp petri dish with oats and he never ate the oats. Just died after a while.
>>
bumping for what the fuck is this
>>
>>2087104
ur mum m8
>>
So I'm considering feeding my slime mold a tissue with cum on it, it might incorporate my DNA and grow into a real goo girl for me to marry.
>>
>>2087109

>real goo girl
>has a penis
>>
>>2087116
>Feminine slime mold
>>
>>2085934
>yuengling
That slime mould has great taste.

Where can I find slime moulds in Pennsylvania?
>>
>>2084770
>I'm so fucked up
>>
I want one of these.

tfw no slime mold in my backyard
>>
>>2087787
Is it possible to find this stuff in Oklahoma?

Or should I just order some online?
>>
File: slime-mould.jpg (209 KB, 1240x826) Image search: [Google]
slime-mould.jpg
209 KB, 1240x826
>mfw slime mold thread almost died
>>
>>2088062
Never let the slime mold die
>>
>>2086083
>They are not anything that would suffer any emotional or physical trauma
Neither would comatose patients in a hospital, is it ok to take some back home and try to grow them and feed them oats? Fuck, man, just let the poor critter do its own thing and leave it alone.
>>
>>2088150
A comatose patient might as well be a slime mold
>>
Every slime mould I find dies.
>>
>>2084826
This desu
>>
>>2084770
So uh
When can we teach these to become slimegirls?
>>
>>2084823
>When a slime mold mass or mound is physically separated, the cells find their way back to re-unite. Studies on Physarum have even shown an ability to learn and predict periodic unfavorable conditions in laboratory experiments. Professor John Tyler Bonner, who has spent a lifetime studying slime molds argues that they are "no more than a bag of amoebae encased in a thin slime sheath, yet they manage to have various behaviours that are equal to those of animals who possess muscles and nerves with ganglia – that is, simple brains."
>Atsushi Tero of Hokkaido University grew the slime mold Physarum polycephalum in a flat wet dish. He placed the mold in a central position representing Tokyo, and he placed oat flakes in the dish corresponding to the locations of other major cities in the Greater Tokyo Area. As Physarum avoids bright light, light was used to simulate mountains, water and other obstacles in the dish. The mold first densely filled the space with plasmodia, then thinned the network to focus on efficiently connected branches. The network strikingly resembled Tokyo's rail system
yeah theyre fairly sharp considering
>>
>>2088663
Hmm. Assuming you feed it correctly, I don't know why they would die. Do they need light like plants? Or maybe a specific temperature? Or water?
>>
I legit thought you assholes where just rpging until I googled them.

Holy shit man
>>
>>2086085
this

>>2084770
do it pls opee I have to see this shit
>>
This sounds really cool! Where can I get them (I live in Northern Ireland so I'm not sure if they appear as commonly (if at all) over here.)
>>
>>2089441
Well according to the one video posted ITT, you should just be able to go out into the woods and look for them. However, the professional in the video took 30 minutes to find a specimen because of how small and illusive they are. Even if you don't find any, a walk in the woods is always a nice thing.

If that fails you, you can buy them online apparently.
>>
Bumping for more discussion on slime mold, would be neat to see more people with them.
>>
OP here, day 1 of searching and the orange ones aren't quite out yet. I have found a large dead white thing that was probably a slime mould that spanned about 5 feet across the bottom of a raised log
>>
File: paultaylor-blob.jpg (11 KB, 411x270) Image search: [Google]
paultaylor-blob.jpg
11 KB, 411x270
>>2091143
>op
>>
File: 1459275646879.jpg (35 KB, 657x640) Image search: [Google]
1459275646879.jpg
35 KB, 657x640
Threads like this give me hope for this site
>>
Do you guys think a slime would be able to co-exist with any more interesting pets? Dropping a cricket into a leopard gecko slime-cave would be pretty neat
>>
>>2091689
They would probably do fine as long as you keep the slime mould happy, if a slime mould doesn't get enough food, water, or the correct temperature it will die and release a cloud of spores. The spores would probably kill the lizard if it breathed them in, other than that they should be fine together.
>>
Any news from OP? How's the research going?
Also bump
>>
>>2093062
Op here, i'm probably going out to look for them again in a week or so, maybe earlier or later
>>
>>2084770
Can you fuck it?
>>
>>2093553
sure
>>
>>2093553
I want to make a slime girl.
>>
They are land jellyfish?
>>
>>2084770
Best thread i have ever read. I'm very curious about ur research. Dont let this tread die, and post every single step u make. U are so gr8 m8.
>>
>>2090219
>>2089441
I've kept them a couple times.
For those of you worried about finding them, they are basically in all soils as spores or free-swimming individuals (Before conditions are correct some slime molds live alone, not in a large blob) and this method lets you basically just bring out whatever slime molds you have in your soil.
Put about 3 inches of soil mounded up on one side and slope it down to about 1 inch to fill the tank bottom. Find soil with decayed woody stuff and leaves, naturally rich. Find some small logs (enough to fit in a tank) with mushrooms growing out of them and press them into the soil where most but not all is in soil contact. Put some leafy debris in a corner, just to create a spot where soil is covered. This is actually a den for your slime, as they like to hide during times the conditions aren't correct. I feel like this type of terrarium gives you a better example of how they act in the wild. The logs with mushrooms are chosen because if any mushroom is growing on the log, it is in a state of decay, and associated is a pretty complex bacterial community that the slime molds seem to love. (The mushrooms may also sprout under these conditions, another cool process)
After getting everything set up, wet the soil in the bottom very well, about muddy, leaving the 3 inch mound somewhat drier. Using the spray bottle, mist the leaves and logs. Once moist, just put a loose-fitting lid over the top and wait. The times I have set up tanks like this the slime molds had come up out of the soil that same night. After misting the tank Physarum would actually crawl out from under the log, move over the surface and around the tank a little bit, and then go back underneath within a couple of hours. The other species sporulated pretty quickly after appearing, completing it's life-cycle by converting to spores and spraying itself all over my room.
I'd be glad to answer more questions on them as well.
>>
>>2095110
Oh, and keep it darkish to cut down on plants sprouting in the soil. Or just weed them out as they come up, in my opinion the sunlight is more of a natural environment.
>>
File: It_Sees_You.jpg (465 KB, 1355x1129) Image search: [Google]
It_Sees_You.jpg
465 KB, 1355x1129
Oh the humanity, why have we allowed these things to continue existing
>>
>>2095165
>why have we allowed these things to continue existing
Yeah, why don't we arbitrarily and relentlessy wipe out entire species based on memes and intuition?
>>
>>2085344
Just went into /x/ territory. And I can dig that.
>>
>>2088150
>not feeding your comatose girl a bowl of eggs
>>
>>2095110
>After misting the tank Physarum would actually crawl out from under the log, move over the surface and around the tank a little bit, and then go back underneath within a couple of hours.

That's so cool. I assume it would be best to get soil samples from out in the woods somewhere as opposed to a garden/backyard?
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 439x335) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 439x335
>>
OP here, I haven't had a good chance to go looking for them yet. hopefully sometime this week though, probably not until early next month-ish however
>>
Are they safe to touch?
>>
>>2095798
no, they are highly venomous and have a taste for blood (and oatmeal)
>>
>>2086097

Cedar Apple Rust

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnosporangium_juniperi-virginianae

those things are fucking nasty, and a pain to get rid of when they infect your trees
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.