[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My neighbors are making a petition against guinea pigs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: g4231_zpszgvdufld.png (691 KB, 1024x457) Image search: [Google]
g4231_zpszgvdufld.png
691 KB, 1024x457
A couple of days ago a neighbor knocks at my door asking to remove the guinea pig cage from my garden as rats are rabies carriers and the entire neighborhood had submitted a joint signed petition to the condominium administration to get rid of such public epidemic danger.

what am I gonna do with these imbeciles? I'm in trouble.
>>
I don't get their logic. Does your town have a rabies problem?
Not sure where you live but rabies is extremely rare in rodents and rabbits and here in the US, they have never transmitted it to a human. You are far more likely to get it from a skunk, raccoon, fox, bat or dog.

http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/exposure/animals/other.html
>>
>>2084754
>rats
>guinea pigs
with any luck their petition says rats and you can keep your pets.

otherwise I'd suggest suing and moving, not necessarily in that order.
>>
People around here are not very big fans of logic, sorry to say...

yup, my town has a big major rabies problem... I moved to a third-world country like the philippines 3 years ago and just in my high-class neighborhood there's 3 rabies treatment centers due to many public epidemics of enormous rats, lizards, cockroaches and especially almost 500 feral street cats roaming just in these 2 dozen streets of my neighborhood... and just yesterday walking for 60 seconds down my filth and trash littered street I counted 30 cats eating rotten food and scavenging trash and more than half the houses have dogs also.

Which begs the question...

The main species that are well known rabies carriers are allowed to reach a population beyond the level of public epidemic to the point that it's necessary to have 3 rabies treatment clinics just in my neighborhood... but a species like guinea pigs who plays a negligible part is socially feared and publicly targeted?

What am I gonna do?

I'm in trouble and outnumbered by a neighborhood of office workers, housewives and sellers with IQs of primates and currently have to keep the guinea pigs in my kitchen because I don't have another place.
>>
Wait for them to come knocking trying to take your shit and laugh at them because you have guinea pigs not rats
>>
>>2084762
>What am I gonna do?

move the fuck out of the shithole third world country you moved to, retard?
>>
>>2084762
What's so wrong about keeping them in your house? You know... like a normal person.
Why would you keep them outside when you know there are feral cats everywhere?
Why would you keep a species you know is susceptible to a fatal disease, in an environment where the disease is running rampant?
>>
I tried to explain the biological/behavioral/dietary difference but it's like there's an invisible impenetrable barrier surrounding their minds... like a force-field of dumbness... 99% people here literally cannot tell a guinea pig apart from a rat.

I had the guinea pigs for 3 years in the garden and last Christmas cleared the thick vine from the fence so now people can see inside and they began to gossip and the neighborhood kids always think they're rabbits/rats/hamsters and a few times I allowed kids to stick their hand through the fence to feed and pet one and adult folks were walking down the street staring back and saying out loud in their native language (which they thought I didn't understand) how disgusting and dirty it was to pet those animals... and the worse was that when the mothers of those kids saw they went psychotic calling the kids in a hurry treating them as if their children had been infected by the bubonic plague just by touching a guinea pig.

That is the way people culturaly perceive guinea pigs here in the philippines... as rats from the dumpsters.

But the most surreal part is that I'm pretty sure that the "rabies" psychotic woman that knocked at my door went home and like most people here use their fingers to swipe the feces out of their butholes in the bathroom and then shove a handful of boiled rice down their throats at dinner with fecally aromatic hands while eating a boiled chicken fetus for desert like almost every filipino does... and after that they say: "did you see those dirty people touching a guinea pig full of disgusting germs?"

Waiting for them to come knocking trying to take them away and laugh because they are guinea pigs not rats is a very, VERY risky idea.
>>
Getting the family the heck out is a sweeeeeet idea, but only a couple of years from now and I don't think they're willing to wait that much time.

"What's so wrong about keeping them in your house? You know... like a normal person"

Like a normal person on the NORTHERN hemisphere... in the tropics it's an infernal scorching blazing heat from hell 365 days a year inside of the house... which would be tantamount to torture for an animal covered in fur especially if the air conditioning fails or one of the unexpected monthly power cuts happens. On top of all these bright cheap filipino sparks had the great idea of building EVERY SINGLE house with tinfoil roofs effectively turning them into furnaces under the radiating heat.

"Why would you keep them outside when you know there are feral cats everywhere?"
The first thing I did was to fence the garden from cats. No worries there. The cats are in the street.

"Why would you keep a species you know is susceptible to a fatal disease, in an environment where the disease is running rampant?"
Because it was running rampant decades ago... it is still running rampant today... and I'm pretty sure it's gonna continue next decade and I prefer to bring my guinea pig with me and do my best to keep them safe. Rabies is not that easy to get when minimum hygiene norms are observed since it's not air born nor transdermally absorbed nor anything like that.

With that being sad I'm really liking the idea of getting outta dodge, if not for the whole family, at least for the pets... maybe next month I could search for a semi-isolated place a few minutes away from my house to keep them safe.

Anyone know anything better? I was thinking of some condominium administration bribes (which probably was their plan from the very beginning) or asking my wife to gossip a bit through the neighborhood to see what turns up.
>>
Install security camera watching cage. Proceed to ignore their bullshit.
>>
>>2084841
>maybe next month I could search for a semi-isolated place a few minutes away from my house to keep them safe.
i'd be more worried if i couldn't observe their well being by looking out the window. the way you describe your neighborhood i wouldn't be surprised if some people just kill them if they find them with no one around.
>>
Holy fuck i'm glad I don't live in a 3rd world shit hole.

Just fuck the pigs and get a pet you either can keep inside or won't attract the attention of a bunch of brain dead mentally ill ignorant shit skins
>>
>>2084754
>what am I gonna do with these imbeciles? I'm in trouble.
Put up a sign forbidding trespassing.
Make it well known you will fully adhere to castle doctrine.
Shoot anyone you see trying to hard your Guinea Pigs.
>>
OP, as much as I never liked my country, for its non-existent culture, for it relies on copying shit from the shit-holes of USA to various other countries and a fair share of idiots whom I knew.

But here in my middle-class neighborhood they could distinguish a guinea pig to a fucking rat, how fucking stupid is your neighborhood?
Jesus
>>
>Install security camera
Installing a security camera wouldn't do much I'm afraid. My neighbor has an infrared night-vision camera and still got her home cleanly robbed from computers, cellphones and clothes last month and she never saw even an investigation begin. The other neighbor on the other side of the street got robbed six months ago and again two months ago... my house is normally robbed once a year also... last time I lost a flat screen TV and for everyone the solution is always one and the same... more locks on the doors more bars on the windows and more dogs on the house. Filipinos are more scared of dogs than of cameras.
>>
>>2085538
>my house is normally robbed once a year
Why the absolute fuck did you move there? Please tell me you were a minor and your parents made you.
>>
File: 1363243365964.jpg (21 KB, 360x240) Image search: [Google]
1363243365964.jpg
21 KB, 360x240
This thread keeps getting dumber and dumber...
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 300x245) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 300x245
>>2084762
>philippines

I think we've already found the problem.

>>2084833
>cleared the thick vine from the fence so now people can see inside

It's your own damn fault.

>I allowed kids to stick their hand through the fence

Seems they're not the only ones with an impenetrable force-field of dumbness.
>>
>in my middle-class neighborhood they could distinguish a guinea pig to a fucking rat. how fucking stupid is your neighborhood?
Care to make a field test and publicly post the results here? You know why I ask? I live close to the capital of the country and what if I told you that right now while I'm typing this I'm seeing through the window a group of 5 people standing in the middle of the road occupying one of the street lanes with the cars and motorcycles slowing down and honking and going around them and they are just standing there with hands on the fence staring for the last half hour while repeatedly saying the same thing over and over again to each other with a face of shock/disbelief in loud voice: "What is that?" They are sober but they behave like they're drunk/high... how stupid do you think they are? But anyways. Considering that Philippines/Ethiopia/Nigeria/South Africa/Zambia/Tanzania and such are still struggling as we speek to achieve even 20 or 30% internet penetration mainly through the internet.org worldwide initiative, the fact that you are able to read and reply to this very message already puts you on the top 20-30% slice of filipino society. Takes more than internet penetration to measure social status but at least based on that measurement I would hardly place someone from the top 20-30% in the middle class. I'm not very concerned about those... I'm worried about the OTHER 70-80% of the population. I'll show you the local newspaper to remind you how lucky you are in a country with 98 million people that has 15 million illiterates: http://news.abs-cbn.com/nation/09/23/09/illiterate-filipinos-now-15-million-and-counting

>This thread keeps getting dumber and dumber...
Hahaha... so sadly true... but maybe not dumb... more like surreal (a nightmare turned into reality)
>>
>>2084754
the food attracts rats, same shit when people keep chickens in neighbourhoods.
>>
>Philippines

Do you have a trap gf?
>>
Why don't we just nuke these places and end their suffering?

It's only humane.
>>
This seems very tricky. And bad.

First one question :
With their petition, can they really do anything? Will you be obligated to give up your guinea pigs?

For now, continue to hide them, maybe the riot will calm down if they can't see the fearful rats. And I think it's wayyy better, it seems your guinea pigs, out and next to the street, could get poisoned or killed at any second. These people seems crazy. Protect your fluffy rats.

If normal reasoning and explanations can't do anything, I think you're pretty much fucked... Hide them and move out asap... Even if you bribe the administration, your guinea pigs could still get poisoned or else. If you put them out again, I know il will be a pain, but move their enclosure away from the street's fence, so that they can't give them poisoned food, at least.

... Well, but if it's so easy for everyone to break in, you'd still be fucked uh...
>>
>>2084762
Wouldn't rabies prevention be better served by funding an animal control agency to remove the stray dogs/cats? Holding a cull of feral dogs/cats would also help and it would be much cheaper too.
>>
Shit like this makes me infinitely impressed that we humans have managed to achieve some well-managed and corruption free countries, like the Nordics.
>>
>Wouldn't rabies prevention be better served by funding an animal control agency to remove the stray dogs/cats?
Funding? No. That would be like giving alcohol to a drunk or drugs to a junkie. Everyone here dreams of reaching a position of influence in life to maximize the chances of taking advantage of as many people around them as possible. That is most people's prevalent mentality here. Remember that typhoon a couple of years ago who put philippines in worldwide news and everyone throughout the globe was sending money, food and clothes? You know what happened to those containers when they crossed customs? What if I told you that last year I went to a store selling "Used Imported Clothes" I bought a jacket with a note inside stappled to a 20 euro bill intended for humanitarian aid? And a quarter billion dollars also mysteriously vanished into thin air: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/529795/corruption-magnifies-effects-of-typhoon-yolanda Corruption is prevalent through all levels of society here and if people really want to lower the rabies epidemic they have to stop directly feeding wild feral cats/bats/dogs. Every family is always feeding them all the time, and of course, the rats/cockroaches/lizards/fire ants/termites join in on the free banquet as well.
>>
>>2085573
>It's your own damn fault
I know I was a fool. I shouldn't clear the fence with belief that people would see how clean and peaceful the guinea pigs are and accept them... nor should I have allowed the kids to pet them to educate the next generation in hopes of a better future.
>>2084864
>i'd be more worried if i couldn't observe their well being by looking out the window (...) i wouldn't be surprised if some people just kill them if they find them with no one around.
Most people here would run as far away from them as possible but I'm also worried since on the outskirts of our neighbourhood there's an even bigger population of families living under plywood huts that would profusely salivate and drool looking at them with shiny eyes just by imagining the wonderful dinner they could give their 10 children using the guinea pigs. My neighbour had two chickens and a few months ago went for a picnic early in the morning and came back only to hear the neighbour report of how they saw the thief coming out of the house and running down the street with a box under his arm.
>>2085547
>Why the absolute fuck did you move there?
Early retirement on a tropical island on the other side of the world and building a family business that gives jobs to the locals because my wife grew here. In a society filled with homeless/illiterate/unemployed/poverty/misery/disgrace I thought they would super appreciative and my investment in a third-world country would be safe in a high class neighbourhood that even has private security guards armed with shotguns patrolling streets day and night searching for robbers/bombers and all stores have guards armed with semi-automatics at their chest and the local law-makers and businessmen are my neighbours also and here there's even luxuries such as a public sewer system and concrete roads and most people HAVE JOBS from their LEGITIMATE college degree instead of buying the fake diplomas at the many popular documentation falsification stores.
>>
>>2084754
Just stand your fucking ground and dont be a pussy bro

Here in Murica we have this thing called FREEDOM, so use some of it.
>>
File: 8042728032_3f7ed23906.jpg (150 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
8042728032_3f7ed23906.jpg
150 KB, 500x332
>>2085583
>the food attracts rats, same shit when people keep chickens in neighbourhoods
BAM! Right on! Throughout the whole country there are chickens EVERYWHERE for cockfighting even in the cities. I told them the public epidemic of rats is being fed by leftovers the neighbours give to those roosters in cages on the side-walks. They don't care because every weekend, half the local tycoons and sports enthusiasts love to teach their teenagers how to equip the rooster's talons with enormous stainless steel blades and put them in fights to the death in any street corner or at the pit of the local cock-fighting coliseum and gamble away their government salaries with bets bigger than most people's monthly salaries. And if that wasn't enough, the public epidemic of rats is also very well fed by the leftovers that EVERY SINGLE family places in a tupperware outside their doorstep after dinner to feed street cats and inadvertently the rats also, which is collect daily by pig farmers onto a large barrel mounted on an old motorcycle at 6AM screaming with full lungs "PIG FOOD!" as food leftovers in the trash with tropical heat grow a ball of maggots in less than 48 hours crawling up the walls and under doors everywhere. I explained everything to the condominium and they just nod their head as if they understood/agreed with anything and then just smile and say something like: "yes, but please remove the rats as they are a big public danger of rabies." It's useless... logic is absolutely irrelevant here.
>>
Please keep your piggies safe OP. I hope everything works out for you.
>>
>>2084762
>I live in the asscrack of the world with barely functional primates that have now banded together against my pets. They can't be reasoned with. What should I do?
>>
>>2085611
>Do you have a trap gf?
No, but I feel ya... those drama queens with laser targeted eyesight fulminating some shmuck's backpockets like a monetary blackhole are super common in phillipines and thailand due to irresponsible parents who enjoy party under the blankets but 9 months later don't enjoy the work and prefer to shrug away the responsibility of raising their 10 kids by brainwashing their elder children from the cradle.

>>2085772
>With their petition, can they really do anything? Will you be obligated to give up your guinea pigs?
The petition itself is meaningless... no one cares about any law in the philippines. Like someone pointed very well, most likely I will just come home one day to find my family pets killed or missing and after checking the camera knock at the door of the neighbor who killed my pets and have to put up with their shameless childish face-to-face fake lying saying: "I'm so poor and racially discriminated and don't know what happened... they were already dead when I found them". Filipinos are extreme shameless liars even when they're caught redhanded due to their cultural values of "hiya" and avoiding public exposure, they do anything to avoid taking responsibility for their own actions, so I prefer to avoid that since it has already happened to our family countless times.

>If normal reasoning and explanations can't do anything, I think you're pretty much fucked... Hide them and move out asap.
After thinking for a while, yesterday I prepared everything in the garden to move and today while everyone's busy having lunch I'll relocate the guinea pigs to somewhere safe from prying eyes and gossiping mouths... it's the most practical short-term solution... thanks a lot for suggesting that.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.